PDA

View Full Version : A few questions...

Richard_Senior
Monday 15th April 2013, 14:29
Hello,

I've been driving a Saab 9000 Aero for the last 6 years, it finally died so I bought a 2002 s60 T5 (because the GM Saab's are nasty).
It's an auto, so it's not as brutal as the Saab was, but it's still quite rapid.
I'm quite taken with it so far... and the missus loves it.. so I have a feeling that a manual "R" might be my next car :)

Firstly the car came with a private plate (S60 AA), anyone got any idea what that's worth?
My mate rekons audi (S6) owners might go for it.. they tend to be minted don't they? :)

Generally the car is sound, though it's done 190k+ miles.
However the reverse parking sensors don't work (it doesn't bother me too much because I know where the mirrors are)
Should they just start beeping when I put the car in reverse? How do I find out exactly what the problem is there?
If it's sensors it can stay broken :)

And the sat nav screen won't pop up. I've changed the batteries.. and stood on the 'enter button' etc.
Again it doesn't bother me that much, I have UK Maps... But it does impress when stuff pops out of your dash doesn't it?
Does anyone have any idea how to start debugging this?

The flippy central consoly cupholdery thing is broken.. does anyone know if I can get a cheap replacement?
It looks like one of the prongs has snapped on it, so when I put my elbow on it, it just gives in.

Finally.. is there anything I should look at right now that might save me pain? Something that S60's are notorious for?
So the Saab 9000 famously had a dodgy DI pack etc.

danny-R
Monday 15th April 2013, 14:35
Hi and welcome :worthless
1. What you have there is a ford Volvo the same as new Saabs are gm ;)
2. Google private plate valuations and get a few quotes
3. Never had the parking sensors or satnav so can't help there sorry.
4. My centre console thing's broke and I just keep looking for a breaking car in my area eBays your friend.
5. Mrp will be along soon with a list of common p2 faults, dims, etms etc

M-R-P
Monday 15th April 2013, 15:24
Here I am...

Pre 2003 models... DIM (speedo) failure - look for weird goings-on with the speedo, they're known to go mental and can cost £700+ to replace or about £80 to habe it resoldered (no telling how long the repair can last) If you have chrome rings round the speedo dials, it's already been replaced and you won't need to worry about it.
ETM *(electronic throttle module) these can and usually do fail causing erratic idle, hesitation and lack of power and can be repaired for £50-80 or replaced for £200 ish.
Autobox... if it's the one with the semi-manual option, i.e. flick the gearstick to change gear or leave it to do it itself. these are usually toast by 100K miles. A fluid flush with the correct ATF will prolong it's life.
Watch for weird coolant loss as there's a tranny fluid cooler in the rad and it can bleed coolant into the gearbox, or gearbox fluid into the coolant system.
Alarm... you'll probably see "alarm system service required" pop up at some point, this is normal and will cost you about £100 for a new siren.
PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) the breather system can block and if left, can lead to a repair that requires the engine dropped and gearbox and flywheel to be removed. To test the PCV, go for a drive and get the engine up to temp. Pull over and with the engine running, remove the dipstick. If you see puffs of smoke, the PCV is blocked and should be sorted ASAP. It's not expensive to do but time consuming.

I think that's covered the big stuff :)

MRTREE
Monday 15th April 2013, 15:52
Hello,

I've been driving a Saab 9000 Aero for the last 6 years, it finally died so I bought a 2002 s60 T5 (because the GM Saab's are nasty).
It's an auto, so it's not as brutal as the Saab was, but it's still quite rapid.
I'm quite taken with it so far... and the missus loves it.. so I have a feeling that a manual "R" might be my next car :)

Firstly the car came with a private plate (S60 AA), anyone got any idea what that's worth?
My mate rekons audi (S6) owners might go for it.. they tend to be minted don't they? :)

Generally the car is sound, though it's done 190k+ miles.
However the reverse parking sensors don't work (it doesn't bother me too much because I know where the mirrors are)
Should they just start beeping when I put the car in reverse? How do I find out exactly what the problem is there?
If it's sensors it can stay broken :)

And the sat nav screen won't pop up. I've changed the batteries.. and stood on the 'enter button' etc.
Again it doesn't bother me that much, I have UK Maps... But it does impress when stuff pops out of your dash doesn't it?
Does anyone have any idea how to start debugging this?

The flippy central consoly cupholdery thing is broken.. does anyone know if I can get a cheap replacement?
It looks like one of the prongs has snapped on it, so when I put my elbow on it, it just gives in.

Finally.. is there anything I should look at right now that might save me pain? Something that S60's are notorious for?
So the Saab 9000 famously had a dodgy DI pack etc.

1. The Parking Sensors Should Mute Your Music For A Second And Beep Once And On The Radio Display It Will Say Reversing Aid And Obviously It Will Beep The Closer You Get To Stuff, Id Check Fuses

2. Ive Never Seen An S60 With A Cupholder That Isnt Broken Lol

3. Not Sure About The Satnav As Mine Didnt Have One Still Could Be Fuses

4. Lisen To M-R-P For Common Faults Ect Ect

5. Welocome to The Site Nice Choice (Apart From Auto)

stevmo
Monday 15th April 2013, 20:48
solution to the cup holder - get a facelift centre with sliding cover :D (i'm on the hunt for beige with wood trim one)
As for other parking sensors - dont have them, dont need them although as I have a set I bought for a ex missus I will fit some just as a plus point when I sell it one day
Sat Nav, again I just use my own one as generally OE ones are cack after 5 mins as they are out of date and cost eleventy million pounds to update

Richard_Senior
Wednesday 17th April 2013, 12:06
Thanks for the reply :)
1) Yeah it was pointed out to me that the handles are mondeo handles.. It's a million times better than the GM Saab's though
2) Yeah I've tried that but I can't get any consistency. I suppose it's what someone wants to pay at the end of the day isn't it?
3) Me either.. this is my first car to have satnav and parking sensors
4) Ok.. I'll keep my eyes peeled.
5) So he is :)

Richard_Senior
Wednesday 17th April 2013, 12:10
Wow thanks that's pretty thorough... I'll check those things this weekend.
I think the auto box is pretty much on it's way.. occasionally there's a lag an a big thump when the gear is engaged. Under normal conditions it's fine though.
There's also a distinct vibration at around 70mph which I'm hoping is simple wheel balancing... and not wheel bearings.
Also a weird occasional thumping which sounds like something loose in the boot. I haven't managed to pin it down yet but I'm hoping it's not suspension!

Richard_Senior
Wednesday 17th April 2013, 12:14
Yeah... I was pressed for time and it was the first decent car that came up... I got it from the bloke in Sowerby Bridge.
By and large I would only ever get a car that was hatchback and manual... but...
I think I'll be getting my next car from him too... He seems like a decent bloke.. so don't spoil it for me if you know otherwise :)

Richard_Senior
Wednesday 17th April 2013, 12:15
yeah.. I'm not overly fussed about the satnav.. but as I say.. it makes women go 'oooooo' when stuff pops out of the dash :)

M-R-P
Wednesday 17th April 2013, 12:22
Get the autobox serviced and flushed (correct fluids are very important) and don't allow whoever does it to fill through the tempting nut on top of the gearbox - it holds the spacers for 2nd gear.
I believe there's a software update from Volvo that can tidy - up the gear change.

The noise from the back is possibly the rear drop links - £20 and an hour to change.

Also check the battery is secure - it's in the boot, left hand side. That can rattle about, as can unsecured tools in the spare wheel.

M-R-P
Wednesday 17th April 2013, 12:25
Oh yeah - you may find a switch in the boot, somewhere near the parcel shelf. I believe Volvo fitted this switch to turn off the reverse park when towing.

Worth a look.

Richard_Senior
Wednesday 17th April 2013, 12:32
I'll post some pics this weekend.. but it seems a pretty standard S60. The lights are weird.. I think they're xenon-look.. rather than actual xenon. The actual light assembly has a sort of black outline.. which looks aftermarket..

Richard_Senior
Wednesday 17th April 2013, 12:38
M-R-P... that's great stuff.. thanks.
I've only had the car a week or so, so I'm still finding little bits and bats.. But yeah the gearbox thing is probably a bit worrying.
It is the box with a tiptronic style up and down thing.. Which is a gimick really isn't it... There's got to be about a second or more delay when using it.
I find it is useful when you're in slow traffic going downhill though, in drive, the geerbox always selects too high a gear when going downhill.. The brakes take enough of a pounding with an auto box without having to brake down every hill..

M-R-P
Wednesday 17th April 2013, 12:53
Your lights sound interesting. they should be the same as mine...
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/just%20stuff/DSCF9841_zps7c701efb.jpg (http://s1100.photobucket.com/user/martinrpeachey/media/just%20stuff/DSCF9841_zps7c701efb.jpg.html)

As for your slushmatic gearbox - I seriously doubt it's the original box at 190K, most likely it's been replaced - possibly twice. Best to get it flushed if you want to be able to sell the car on or keep it going for any length of time. The clunks come first, then slipping then finally, you'll lose a gear or two. The software update speeds the shift up when using the stick too.

Richard_Senior
Wednesday 17th April 2013, 13:32
That's real perty :) Is that a V70 R?
Are those wheels aftermarket?
Yes that's what I mean... sort of a black look to the lights. Are they xenon?
Yes.. I'll look into getting it flushed this weekend.

M-R-P
Wednesday 17th April 2013, 13:36
Thanks, it's an ex-plod V70 T-5. I wish it was an R (actually - running costs of an R? hmmm, no.)
Wheels are standard Volvo Ameltheas (most boring wheel ever bolted to a Volvo) which I resprayed in lovely sparkly black.
The lights are non-xenon. H7 dipped beam and HB3 main beam with T10 Wedge bulbs for sidelights.
I've converted it all to HID and LED.
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/projects/IMAG0068_zpsdd6c53d5.jpg (http://s1100.photobucket.com/user/martinrpeachey/media/projects/IMAG0068_zpsdd6c53d5.jpg.html)

MRTREE
Wednesday 17th April 2013, 14:07
Thanks, it's an ex-plod V70 T-5. I wish it was an R (actually - running costs of an R? hmmm, no.)
Wheels are standard Volvo Ameltheas (most boring wheel ever bolted to a Volvo) which I resprayed in lovely sparkly black.
The lights are non-xenon. H7 dipped beam and HB3 main beam with T10 Wedge bulbs for sidelights.
I've converted it all to HID and LED.
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/projects/IMAG0068_zpsdd6c53d5.jpg (http://s1100.photobucket.com/user/martinrpeachey/media/projects/IMAG0068_zpsdd6c53d5.jpg.html)

i think you will find my ex plod has the most boring wheels bolted to a volvo lol

M-R-P
Wednesday 17th April 2013, 14:54
i think you will find my ex plod has the most boring wheels bolted to a volvo lol

Oooh - good point, they are horrible aren't they lol.

You win hahahaha

MRTREE
Wednesday 17th April 2013, 16:09
Oooh - good point, they are horrible aren't they lol.

You win hahahaha

Not really something id like to win lol!

M-R-P
Wednesday 17th April 2013, 16:10
Not really something id like to win lol!

When owning an ex-plod, it's hard to win anything - enjoy it lol.

MRTREE
Wednesday 17th April 2013, 16:12
When owning an ex-plod, it's hard to win anything - enjoy it lol.

Hahaha looks like your winning though your looks mint mate i know its been a lot of hard work but it seriously has paid off i just wish mine was half as good as yours!

M-R-P
Wednesday 17th April 2013, 16:18
Thanks mate, she's getting there. ;)

MRTREE
Wednesday 17th April 2013, 16:20
Thanks mate, she's getting there. ;)

No problem looks spot on i need to free up some funds to start playing with this and my new toy!

Richard_Senior
Wednesday 17th April 2013, 22:57
Some photo's .. not sure if they've attached, or uploaded.. or what..

M-R-P
Wednesday 17th April 2013, 23:03
Oooh, built - in phone :) nice!

electric leather :)

Looks like a pretty nice motor there mate. Worth throwing a few quid at for the sake of keeping it going (well, I would).

Richard_Senior
Thursday 18th April 2013, 10:31
Best thing is.. on the way back from the place I bought it I tried the phone... the previous owner had left a sim in it.. .with credit on it :)
It has a 'privacy handset' too... which impressed the missus...
I think the seats are retrofitted... The passenger seat is heated, but not powered.

M-R-P
Thursday 18th April 2013, 10:35
The non-powered passenger seat is normal - Volvo have been doing that since day one lol. Only the really special ones have 2 powered seats.

stevmo
Thursday 18th April 2013, 11:42
think they made it so facelift one had powered passenger seats as my brothers V70 on a 54 plate (facelift) had powered driver and passenger where as my 53 plate S60 pre-facelift only has electric drivers. Not that I car as I never passenger :P
Very smart car you have there. I looked at a 2.0T with same silver with black leather combo and I preferred that to my grey with beige but this was the better car :)
I'm just glad to have a clutch and gearstick again - had Auto in my BMW and needed a recon gearbox at 121k - lifetime gearbox my ****

Richard_Senior
Friday 19th April 2013, 17:23
I've worked out what the rattling is.. it's not in the boot.. but under the bonnet.
There's a plastic enclosure that contains what seems to be hard disks!? What are they?
The hard disks themselves have a protrusion that is stopping the lid of the box from fitting properly.

You mentioned a firmware upgrade.. how to do I go about blatting that in?

M-R-P
Friday 19th April 2013, 17:36
Those are your engine and transmission ECUs - don't upset them mate.