PDA

View Full Version : Speakers - locations?

Squirtydog
Monday 15th April 2013, 09:42
This might be a dumb question but...

My car has (I am assuming), the 9 speaker option not the 13. If I count up, I can see locations for a possible 11 - these are...

1 Centre
2,3 front door lower main
4,5 front door lower rear facing
6,7 front door tweeters
8,9 rear door
10,11 boot pillar

If I listen, the front door lower rear facing are silent in my car - so presumably absent - leaving me with 9.

My question is am I right in thinking that I can install a pair of speakers in this location to give 11?

And... Where would 12 and 13 go?

Hope that this makes some degree of sense to someone.

jotter22
Monday 15th April 2013, 09:47
Left and right hand side on the dash! By the door pillar. In mine any way!

Tony.

M-R-P
Monday 15th April 2013, 09:56

Tony.

Not on a P2 dude.

3 in each door at the front, 1 in each back door, 1 in each D pillar (tailgate pillars), center and a subwoofer in the boot. not sure if there's any more.

Squirtydog
Monday 15th April 2013, 10:02
That leaves a possible 11 not including subwoofer. Think I have 9 only however. 13 is listed as an available option.

May have the door card off and have a look. Will install 2 extra if they are not there. Anyone know what I would need to buy before I have the card off.

Squirtydog
Monday 15th April 2013, 10:04

Tony.

My day's C70 has the same. They aren't there on the V70 though.

I'd like to think that I would have spotted them.:rolleyes:

Squirtydog
Monday 15th April 2013, 12:06
In answer to my question.

Lower speaker is a single only. No room to install another easily. What a swizz. Guess the 13 speaker option comes with a whole different unit.

Still not sure where other extra two would go.

M-R-P
Monday 15th April 2013, 12:23
The bracket is there, mine only has the speaker.

Squirtydog
Monday 15th April 2013, 12:47
The bracket is there, mine only has the speaker.

Not sure what you mean...
Yours has the speaker without the sort of channel/extension bit? Leaving room for an extra speaker?

jotter22
Monday 15th April 2013, 13:43
i would have said the channel bracket bit would be the extra speaker mounts if you had them.

M-R-P
Monday 15th April 2013, 13:46
In the picture, there's a bracket coming from the speaker to the left for the upward facing speaker to attach to. Mine doesn't have that, or a grille in the door.

Just buy another speaker to fit to the bracket and you'll be larfing :)

Squirtydog
Monday 15th April 2013, 13:58
i would have said the channel bracket bit would be the extra speaker mounts if you had them.

I think that it the case. I think you'd need to cut the back out of the channel leaving a rim behind the foam seal to which you could fix a speaker and wire it in to the existing speaker feed. As it is, there is no room.

Squirtydog
Monday 15th April 2013, 14:02
Was surprised how easy the card was to remove. Might have it back off and pop into a car audio shop to let them have a look.

jotter22
Monday 15th April 2013, 15:53
I am not 100% sure but i think the speakers are Pyle audio so be prepared for costly items!

Tony.

Squirtydog
Tuesday 16th April 2013, 02:19
Seems volvo fitted a 3" treble speaker at this site... Feel that I am missing out now. Gonna see what I can get sorted. Don't see how it can be too costly. Still not sure how you get 13 speakers in though. Anyone have this setup?

M-R-P
Tuesday 16th April 2013, 10:30
I have 12 speakers but its a custom configuration. The 13 speaker setup has a 2nd speaker on top of the center speaker.

Squirtydog
Tuesday 16th April 2013, 20:56
I have 12 speakers but its a custom configuration. The 13 speaker setup has a 2nd speaker on top of the center speaker.

I see... it is the 11 plus subwoofer and extra centre then. Even more desire to tinker about.

volvokid
Tuesday 16th April 2013, 21:26
I probably have the same setup as you and tbh I find it quite poor, the sound quality in my Saffy seems to be better and the dynoaudio set up in my old C70 was amazing, I really miss that.

Squirtydog
Wednesday 17th April 2013, 08:07
Think it might benefit from the extra mid rane speakers in the front if I can manage it. Adjusted the 'secret' equaliser menu last night and turned the mid range up in the back. Will see what I thnk after a drive to work.

M-R-P
Wednesday 17th April 2013, 08:17
I have standard speakers and tweets in all 4 doors, a dynaudio that I "made to fit" in the center and Cambridgeaudio 2-stage tweets in the D pillars.
In the boot is a custom box containing a punchy little 10" infinity sub driven by a Kenwood 1000W bridged amplifier. All running from a 10 year old Pioneer MP3/DAB/BT headunit. The trick is to properly attenuate all the speakers and provided you don't want to go to stupid volumes, you'll be fine.

Squirtydog
Thursday 18th April 2013, 21:23
This is roughly what the optional speaker looks like - think it is from another model. Need to reproduce this somehow. Pyle do a 3.5". Will have to look at the measurements and space behind.