PDA

View Full Version : Got car booked in for a HLM Remap

jez.w
Saturday 13th April 2013, 17:04
Hello, done 1000 miles or so miles in my C70 now. Its a 2.4T manual, i am a little disapointed with the power compared to my old 850 T5's, but it is very smooth and has good low down pull, im getting 32 ish mpg too which is good. The 0 to 60 is meant to be about 7.5 seconds but it doesnt feel that quick to me.

The main issue i have is the feel of the accelerator pedal, i dont like it! The first half on the pedal travel doesnt seem to do much. Then the last 1/2 inch of pedal travel it starts to get some proper power down. Then if you back off a little bit it feels like too much power has been taken off, it just feels difficult to get the throttle right some times.

The throttle basically feels like it is slack, but as it is a 1999 ME7 and has a FBW pedal and ETM so i know its not this. After doing some reading around it seems that this is how these cars are? What do others think? I have personally fitted a rebuilt contactless ETM from Volvodiagnostics recently as the car had an erratic idle, which is now cured.

I have now booked the car in with HLM in 2 weeks time, i explained on the phone that the throttle response seems a little off sometimes, but otherwise runs well. I agreed for HLM to give it a checkover and read any codes, if all seems well then i will get it remapped. Apparently the remap has better software which makes the cars throttle more progressive. Basically im hoping that the remap will improve the throttle drivability.

Apart from the throttle response i am pleased with the car.

Anyone else had similar throttle issues?
Does a remap change ETM software too, or does it just make the car more powerful and so makes the pedal response feel better?

Cheers

jotter22
Saturday 13th April 2013, 18:58
I am not sure about your manual but my auto throttle response is now sharp as a razor and that is all after the HLM map Hamish nows what he is doing mate dont worry....but anyone who says fuel efficiency will be better is talking 5h1t! Because you drive it like you stole it!

Tony.

hillsidesteve
Saturday 13th April 2013, 19:10
Interesting comments from jez.w and jotter22 above, hope to get my T5 erratic idle cured like this when return from hols and book a session at HLM:wow:

TBH I would not expect economy to be anything other than worse after all theres no point in having a remap for more power if your not going to use it:B_steerin

jotter22
Saturday 13th April 2013, 19:17
Dont get me wrong i think the auto characteristic is for a slightly hesitant throttle but the map took that away i dont think my car had any throttle issues to start with!

Tony.

jez.w
Saturday 13th April 2013, 20:14
I will let you know what happens after i have been to HLM.

Most of the time my car is ok, its just a bit lumpy sometimes, especially when backing off the throttle and is worse from cold.

jez.w
Saturday 13th April 2013, 20:40
Interesting comments from jez.w and jotter22 above, hope to get my T5 erratic idle cured like this when return from hols and book a session at HLM:wow:

TBH I would not expect economy to be anything other than worse after all theres no point in having a remap for more power if your not going to use it:B_steerin

Yes both my previous 850 t5s were HLM Rica mapped and were only better on fuel when driven gently on clear roads/motorways. Around town and general driving my remapped cars were worse on fuel, usually because you cant help booting it more. I was getting low 20mpg average with remapped 850s. I think the c70 2.4T manual is quite an economical car in standard form, currently get low to mid 30s mpg, 36 mpg is my best. I don't mind losing a bit of mpg to get more power, it is worth the trade off.

A remap should give more MPG if driven gently.

smithy
Saturday 13th April 2013, 20:44
The remap will be wild mate due to the fast spooling turbo you have.its proberly the actuator abit loose that's all but the remap is worth every penny and you won't look back .

jotter22
Saturday 13th April 2013, 20:46
The remap will be wild mate due to the fast spooling turbo you have.its proberly the actuator abit loose that's all but the remap is worth every penny and you won't look back .

apart from when you are reversing!

hillsidesteve
Saturday 13th April 2013, 20:51
apart from when you are reversing!

That's a good one!:B_thumb:

MIKESC70T5
Saturday 13th April 2013, 21:22
Yes both my previous 850 t5s were HLM Rica mapped and were only better on fuel when driven gently on clear roads/motorways. Around town and general driving my remapped cars were worse on fuel, usually because you cant help booting it more. I was getting low 20mpg average with remapped 850s. I think the c70 2.4T manual is quite an economical car in standard form, currently get low to mid 30s mpg, 36 mpg is my best. I don't mind losing a bit of mpg to get more power, it is worth the trade off.

A remap should give more MPG if driven gently.

Can I ask why you didn't get a T5 to start with if you wanted more power?. I had my old c70t5 me7 remapped and it made a big difference, a lot smoother power delivery and the fuel economy didn't improve but it also didn't get any worse :B_thumb:

jez.w
Friday 19th April 2013, 13:49
This comment of "why not get a T5" always comes up on this forum, which is a fair comment i suppose, but I'm not trying to get a C70 to go as fast as possible, i just want drivability and the low down torque to be the best it can be for the engine i have. I wont be doing any track days, drag strips 1/4 miles at Santa pod, and I very rarely go above 100 mph these days so the top end performance of a t5 would not be an advantage to me. Actually the 0-60 time of the 2.4T and T5 is not that much different, although i would agree that the t5 is much faster top end as i can feel the power of my 2.4T is lower down. The remaps i have had before have transformed performance so i expect the 2.4T engine which already has good low down power will map really well. I didnt particularly want a 2.4T or a T5 when i was looking for a C70, i just wanted the nicest condition, low mileage and full service history 2.4T or T5 manual C70 i could get in orange for the money. It is a nice car, im not too bothered that the top end isnt as good as the T5. The low down torque is really good, and when it is mapped next week it will be even better and will go well enough for my needs.

T5frankie
Friday 19th April 2013, 14:12
This comment of "why not get a T5" always comes up on this forum, which is a fair comment i suppose, but I'm not trying to get a C70 to go as fast as possible, i just want drivability and the low down torque to be the best it can be for the engine i have. I wont be doing any track days, drag strips 1/4 miles at Santa pod, and I very rarely go above 100 mph these days so the top end performance of a t5 would not be an advantage to me. Actually the 0-60 time of the 2.4T and T5 is not that much different, although i would agree that the t5 is much faster top end as i can feel the power of my 2.4T is lower down. The remaps i have had before have transformed performance so i expect the 2.4T engine which already has good low down power will map really well. I didnt particularly want a 2.4T or a T5 when i was looking for a C70, i just wanted the nicest condition, low mileage and full service history 2.4T or T5 manual C70 i could get in orange for the money. It is a nice car, im not too bothered that the top end isnt as good as the T5. The low down torque is really good, and when it is mapped next week it will be even better and will go well enough for my needs.

fair point, but you do know saffron was so last year? lol :rainfro:

jez.w
Friday 19th April 2013, 16:13
Hee Hee! I still prefer Saffron to any other colour for the C70. Black also a good colour for C70. Other colours dont look so good IMO.

I see you have the best colour for an 850, my old 850 T5 was a nice glossy red (hours of polishing) like yours. Should be a pic of it on my home page.

jez.w
Wednesday 24th April 2013, 19:23
Had the remap done today, it needed a couple of things sorted first. Just thought i should give some good feedback as i'm pleased with the results. Car pulls well now and throttle response problem is all fixed. Had a few runs on the rollers too. Definitely a good place to take your Volvo.

Nealevo
Wednesday 24th April 2013, 19:29
Glad you are pleased, you car looked good on the rollers, was the journey home more fun??

smithy
Wednesday 24th April 2013, 19:45
What power did you get at the wheels mate

T5frankie
Wednesday 24th April 2013, 19:49

lol

jez.w
Wednesday 24th April 2013, 19:50
Glad you are pleased, you car looked good on the rollers, was the journey home more fun??

Arrr that was you... i recognise your car now from your signature. Yes a lot more pull and throttle is instant. I just wanted a bit more power so really happy how the car drives now. New exhaust sometime in the future will finish it off nicely. It is a lot easier to bust the speed limit without realising now, i will need to recalibrate my right foot a bit.

Nealevo
Wednesday 24th April 2013, 19:50

You are like a broken record lol

jez.w
Wednesday 24th April 2013, 20:18
just looked it up, 215.53 clutch power and 363 torque. So ended up with an extra 36 bhp and 97 torque than i started with. Not too bad for 2.4T

merc85
Wednesday 24th April 2013, 20:21
215 clutch power? isnt that flywheel power? what is the standard flywheel power on a 2.4t then?

jez.w
Wednesday 24th April 2013, 20:29
Yes the power graph states clutch power next to the bhp figures, it is the same as flywheel power. Standard the 2.4T (low pressure turbo) is meant to have 193bhp but mine was 180bhp on the rollers before the remap and 215.53bhp after. The main thing is the torque increase.

jez.w
Wednesday 24th April 2013, 20:47

Im very fond of red 850 T5's. I would like another one one day when i have some space and a few £1000 spare. Yours looked very tidy!

smithy
Wednesday 24th April 2013, 22:20
When I had mine lpt pre me7 had 235 bhp and 205 whp after remap but the torque increase was massive .and the car really shifted after that and pulled a 15.2 easy in the quater too.and yes I only look at whp as being a true figuires sorry.