PDA

View Full Version : Bleed hole on intercooler!!!

smithson007
Saturday 13th April 2013, 12:19
Ive just rigged up a pressure test on all my boost hoses but i couldnt get any of them to hold pressure then i realised the air is all escaping through the bleed hole on the left hand side of the intercooler.
What will be causing this is there a flap inside the intercooler that should be stopping this?

Dangerous Dave
Saturday 13th April 2013, 12:29
No mate, I guess the hole is there to vent any moisture/oil that gathers in the bottom of the intercooler.

I just put a small screw in it to do my pressure tests.

smithson007
Saturday 13th April 2013, 12:36
Will that mean my intercoolers shot then if it won't hold any air because its just dumping any air that goes in the system?

p fandango
Saturday 13th April 2013, 12:43
Will that mean my intercoolers shot then if it won't hold any air because its just dumping any air that goes in the system?
No theirs no valve or anything, I've blocked mine up permanently

smithson007
Saturday 13th April 2013, 12:48
No theirs no valve or anything, I've blocked mine up permanently

That's all I'm thinking of doing shouldn't damage anything should it?

It must always leak some boost out of there then does it?

Dangerous Dave
Saturday 13th April 2013, 12:49
As Pedro says, its a standard thing so just block it up to do the test.

BTW check the non-return valve that comes off the inlet manifold (white valve on top of the radiator fan cowling) as this tends to fail (could blow through mine in both directions) and check the brake servo non-return valve as both of these are sealed systems that you won't be able to hear air leaking from (and have larger bore hoses).

cherry1809
Saturday 13th April 2013, 13:48
Apart from being a PITA when you're trying to do a pressure test, The intercooler bleeder is a good idea I think. Small enough to not make a difference but does the job :)

claymore
Saturday 13th April 2013, 14:00
After market Intercoolers seem to manage without them.

smithson007
Saturday 13th April 2013, 14:52
Well I must be been stupid because I can't get any of my system to hold any pressure at all. I've got the air source connected to the boost side of the turbo PTC is blanked off and I can't get it to hold any pressure.
Any suggestions?

Ps. I ve checked the one way valves too.

Dangerous Dave
Saturday 13th April 2013, 17:23
Can you hear it leaking?

nobananas
Saturday 13th April 2013, 20:04
You might need to start being systematic in your approach. Maybe remove the hose going into the throttle body and block it so you are only pressurising the pipework and intercooler and see if it holds pressure then start working backwards or forwards depending on your results.

claymore
Saturday 13th April 2013, 20:22
and block off the idle controle valve

smithson007
Saturday 13th April 2013, 20:57
I first started off by just testing it s far as the hose upto the TB and that showed up that my forge DV was just letting air through at any small amount of pressure that was on it. I stripped that down and fitted a bigger spring which seemed to help but still wasnt sealing brilliant.
Could this cause a loud like screaming noise when boosting?

Next i connected the rest of the pipe work back up, blocked off the hoses from the PCV to the ptc and tested the whole system but it wouldnt hold any pressure at all. I could here something leaking from under the manifold so i removed the inlet manifold, cleaned all the pcv and checked all that over even though i changed it all not that long since and fitted new inlet mani gasket too.
I noticed there was a bit of oil in the manifold and on top of the valves is that normal???

Took the car out for a spin and its still making the daft noise but seeems to be boosting much better but my dipstick is now smoking like a chimney worse than before i ever touched the PCV.