PDA

View Full Version : Water coolant lose

gedvan
Tuesday 9th April 2013, 16:57
Hi there i hope i've not got serious trouble brewing,over the last twelve mouths or so i'm having to top my coolant up every two months or so whereas before i never had to touch it,the coolant looks ok the same green colour as always and i always use volvo antifreeze,i have not noticed any leaks anywhere and the car runs the same with no steam coming out the back,so where's it going,i am having my cam belt changed soon and i might as well change the water pump just to be on the safe side,any ideas,just hope its not the cylinder head gasket,ged ps from inside the car there is no sign of water on the carpet or the car misting up so i don't think its the matrix

JamesT5
Tuesday 9th April 2013, 17:00
Mine seems to run down more than I think it should although mine is a P2. I wonder if it's just a characteristic of the car?

M-R-P
Tuesday 9th April 2013, 17:04
The coolant pipes that connect to the bulkhead, for the heater matrix can weep at the connection. You usually won't see a puddle too.

Worth a look.

Blackdog
Tuesday 9th April 2013, 19:19
Try the connection into the bottom of the expansion tank.

The tank itself cracks and weeps coolant.

Replacement newer ones have a stainless insert to solve the problem.

If you look for a used part remember S80 bits will fit. That's what I got my replacement from

merc85
Tuesday 9th April 2013, 19:51
rubber water feed to turbo, just above the gearbox mount, the rubber swells with age and the jubilee clips cut into it causing it to fail.

Worth checking that pipe out.

MA'R'K
Tuesday 9th April 2013, 19:54

Not sure what car you've got but if it's a turbo then check:

metal coolant pipes (no's 5 & 6)
banjo joints & washers (no's 7 & 8)
connecting rubber pipes & fixings (no's 9,10 & 11,12,13)

...and also the gasket on the (turbo) end of pipe no.14

I had a intermitent leak somewhere and found anti-freeze/coolant residue in these areas, so replaced the whole lot (bit of a pig)....but sorted the problem.

You need to be eagle eyed over the whole coolant system, much better on a ramp with a decent lamp!!

gedvan
Wednesday 10th April 2013, 17:45
thanks lads my engine is just a 2.5 10v with no turbo,i will check the maytrix heater pips first as come to think of it i dont seem to loose water in the summer months,only loose it in the winter months when im using the heater,many thanks i will keep you all posted ged

gedvan
Monday 29th April 2013, 19:52
hi there i've fixed it,against my better judgment i put some leak seal in and its found the leak and stopped it,i looked everywhere but could not find anything,but it did appear to come from the radiator so like i said i put this stuff in that is guaranteed not to clog so have tied it and it stopped almost immediately,just hope i've not done the wrong thing now,