PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Fluid

Fubar1977
Monday 8th April 2013, 10:03
Hi All

My 02 S60 D5 has had a new clutch/flywheel recently and as part of the job the garage had to move the steering rack, hence draining the fluid.
I have just noticed it has been filled with the standard red stuff rather than the Volvo spec green (eg Pentosin CHF 11S).
I am having the rack drained/flushed and refilled with the proper stuff tomorrow.
My concern is that for about 3 months or so it has been running around with the wrong fluid and my understanding is that this can, over time, damage the seals in the rack.

Do you think I`ll be ok given that it`s not been in long?

No signs of a leak on the system as far as I can see other than the usual leaky reservoir cap (now replaced) and steering feels perfectly fine/smooth.

Any advice appreciated as I am a little worried!
Thanks.

jotter22
Monday 8th April 2013, 10:17
Is the same garage doing the work? If so i would not expect to see a bill of any sorts and would also require a written statement regarding any faults caused by using the WRONG fluid and any faults found should also be repaired free of charge!

Tony.

Fubar1977
Monday 8th April 2013, 10:25
Agreed.
Yes, it`s the same garage.
The trouble is that the draining/refilling of the power steering fluid is not listed on the invoice for the clutch job so I would have
a hard time proving it was them if it went legal.
I have used them for several years and they have always been very good.

Is it likely to cause a problem given the short time it`s been in?

jotter22
Monday 8th April 2013, 10:49
Its only a synthetic hydraulic fluid i cant really see it doing any harm but i am not an expert so can only give my opinion sorry.... Ring Volvo and ask them?

Tony.

Fubar1977
Monday 8th April 2013, 11:06
Spoke to Volvo main dealer this morning and he said all the S60`s should have the green stuff (Volvo branded but it`s Pentosin).
He doesn`t seem to think it will be a huge problem in the short term but longer term it can apparently degrade the seals in the rack.

Hopefully dodged a bullet on this one but time will tell.
Thanks Tony, appreciated.

jotter22
Monday 8th April 2013, 11:20
No worries mate save all your pent up frustration for the garage that did the deed!

Tony.

stephenevans99
Monday 8th April 2013, 11:31
When I got my 04 S60 I noticed the PS fluid was red as opposed the the Volvo green stuff, I did a flush and replaced it with the correct fluid.

Mine could've been running round with the wrong fluid for years BUT it hasn't appeared to have damaged anything, no noises or leaks etc. So I really wouldn't worry about it having the wrong fluid in it for such a short period.

Fubar1977
Monday 8th April 2013, 12:01
Thanks Stephen, don`t think I could face a bill for a steering rack right now!
It`s in for MOT today and getting PAS fluid flushed/replaced tomorrow.

Fingers crossed the MOT doesn`t turn anything up lol.
Very nice looking motor you have there btw :-)

Cam
Sunday 11th August 2013, 19:34
you dont need to remove the rack to change the clutch disconnect the uj but thats all