PDA

View Full Version : Found this - makes sense doing it then?

v70tom
Monday 8th April 2013, 04:54
Horsepower You Can Feel
As with all K&N kits, when you bolt-on a 57i intake, you will notice the difference the next time you drive your Volvo V70. K&N 57i Gen I Intake Kits are a great way and in many cases the only way to maximize airflow and engine performance. They will replace the factory air box providing both High-Flow air filter technology and a larger air filter size. This winning combination will increase horsepower and sound great too.
Break Out of The Factory Air Box57i Series Intake Kits are specifically designed for each different vehicle and will free your V70 from the size restriction that comes with the factory air box. These economical kits can take a variety of different forms based on vehicle characteristics and available space under the hood. Each kit is designed to provide power throughout the RPM range. Gen I’s take advantage of the added airflow provided by an oversized air filter released from the restrictive factory air box..
These kits bring engine airflow out of the factory box by providing a large size open-air conical or round High-Flow Air Filter. The extra surface area of these open-air air filters provide even more airflow at lower restriction than a K&N O/E replacement filter which is always limited to the size of the factory air box. The larger air filter also captures and holds more dirt increasing its service life before a cleaning is required (up to 100,000 miles). The filter is then either directly attached to the engine carburetor or throttle body or indirectly through a tube assembly running from the filter to the engine. All adaptors are made from high quality materials such as steel, aluminum, silicon or reinforced nylon and ensure long life.
Application Summary:
1997-1999 Volvo V70 2.3L L5 F/I All
Features:
Designed to Increase HP and Acceleration of your vehicle
Engineered to Specific Vehicle Design
Easy to Install, Usually in 90 minutes or less!
Lasts up to 100,000 Miles Before Service is Required (depending on driving conditions)
Million Mile Limited Warranty
Replaces OEM Filter and Air Box
Air Filter is Washable and Reusable
Works with Original Equipment Manufacturer Computer Systems
Street legal in most states
Note: 57i Intakes are not legal for use in California and other US States adopting California emission standards.
Additional Information:
Type: Gen I
Helpful Links:
Installation Sheet
Fitment:
These K&N 57i Air Induction Kits are designed for the following vehicle:
1997 Volvo V70
1998 Volvo V70
1999 Volvo V70
Note: This part may also fit other vehicles, please use the search by vehicle tool located top right side of this page to search for parts that fit your vehicle

I was going not to do it in case of problems with the maf sensor.
The 2.5 se non turbo has already 167k on it, so first I thought I'll do it as it sounded great on my last car.
Then, I seen loads post with tunned cars where the maf sensor packet up.
So, I stopt of thinking about, but still had it in my mind all the way along.

Which of you did it and is it giving any problems with the maf sensor or other engine related issus?

It is a 2.5 20 valve autobox phase 1. Non turbo, pre me.

Anything I need to know about where or how to proper install it, or what cone Airfilter I need to use, should use, and maybe any other Important informations I would need for doing this modification.

I'll seem loads of them Airfilter cone systems for sale, shops ebay, etc, would it matter what system to use as well, or what size cone I need. On my last car, 6cylinder Honda engine I had a standard cheap one with a massive cone on.
The only thing I had to do was making the room to suck cold air in, as it was original located behind the lightcluster and would not get airflow from driving without a special made airflow from the front of the car.

Is this the same on the v70 as the box is located behind the light as well?
Using a scoop or build a airflow suction system from the front (next to the foglight or so ) to ensure air intake guarantee to the cone filter?
Seen a modification where someone cut the wheelarche out to give the cone Filt fresh air intake, but the prop,em was on puddles as it would splash water on it.

So with the uk specs water problems I rather would use a scoop on top of the bonnet to
Thanks guys.

claymore
Monday 8th April 2013, 07:41
Sorry, that was much to hard to read, but best advice is sell your car and buy a T5.

p fandango
Monday 8th April 2013, 07:56
the only reason the MAF's pack up after fitting a cone filter is because of excess oil on them, even a new filter it wouldn't hurt to give it a good rinse under the tap & let it dry naturally (& DON'T RE-OIL IT)

personally i had a K&N 57i on my 854 T-5, & noticed a bigger improvement when i swopped that to a Pipercross cone filter

v70tom
Monday 8th April 2013, 17:55
I had a standart cheap cone filter on the Honda v6 engine.
It was a big thing but nothing special.
It improved the engine performance.
But I never had problems with oil or even put oil on.
Why oil ?
That's new to me. I run this one like it came out the package. Just remove the original air box,
Put extensions on and filter. That's all it was.
Is there something else out ?

And, yes I would like a t5 but is older and I like the painted bumpers, doorhandles and front on he v70phase 1.
I have a t5 down the road and the front looks compare to kind a bit outdated and plumb.
Sorry, no offence.
With the painted parts and the more modern front bumper a t5 would look great in my opinion.

But I stick to my v70 as I spend quiet a bit in it and don't like to loose out on it, althought start
Again with spending on another car and have all the work until, it's done as I want it.

claymore
Monday 8th April 2013, 17:57
I ment a V70 T5

nobananas
Monday 8th April 2013, 20:23
I had a standart cheap cone filter on the Honda v6 engine.
It was a big thing but nothing special.
It improved the engine performance.
But I never had problems with oil or even put oil on.
Why oil ?
That's new to me. I run this one like it came out the package. Just remove the original air box,
Put extensions on and filter. That's all it was.
Is there something else out ?

And, yes I would like a t5 but is older and I like the painted bumpers, doorhandles and front on he v70phase 1.
I have a t5 down the road and the front looks compare to kind a bit outdated and plumb.
Sorry, no offence.
With the painted parts and the more modern front bumper a t5 would look great in my opinion.

But I stick to my v70 as I spend quiet a bit in it and don't like to loose out on it, althought start
Again with spending on another car and have all the work until, it's done as I want it.

Most of the cone filters or free flowing filter elements use a cotton gauze. The cotton itself doesn't do the filtering but is there as an agent to hold oil that you spray onto it which is what traps and holds the dirt. Like Pedro says usually MAF problems happen because the filter is over-oiled and the oil gets onto the the MAF which it doesn't like !

v70tom
Thursday 11th April 2013, 04:27
It would be a standart cone filter without any oil in or on it.
Just paper cone.
Tis should be ok then?
Did not know you can have them with oil. Lol

v70tom
Thursday 11th April 2013, 04:28
Would like one but too expensive for what you get.
And, did all the work on mine so I wouldn't get the money back if I selling it.
Misses don't want home as it is too big for her. Lol

v70tom
Thursday 11th April 2013, 04:33
The plan was to remove the box right where it is attached. So leave the maf and the stubby attachment for the box.
From there get the cone filter straight on.
To get enough outside air, using the original channel for the airbox to feed air from the front of the car, and additional over a scoop form top of the bonnet with a channel build under the bonnet to bring the air from the hole inside the engine bay back to the front on top of the Airfilter cone.
This should avoid the Airfilter suck the hot air produced by the engine inside the bay.
At least in theory.

That's right ? or do I miss something?

I know is not a turbo but if it helps and makes the performance of the 170bhp engine better ill go for it.
Not many people would know what's under the bonnet, so I am not so bothered.
Aim quiet happy with the 170 bhp for the roads I using anyway.

F&r speed I always have the gsxf.lol

M-R-P
Thursday 11th April 2013, 07:58
Pulling warm air from the engine bay makes no difference to normal driving, even with a turbo. It's only if you're racing the car and spend a while parked with the engine running, waiting to go on track you'll get "heat soak" which will clear pretty quickly once you're moving.

Furthermore, it's been proven, albeit with some degree of controversy, that performance filters and induction kits offer little or no performance increase at all and in some cases, actually hold the engine back slightly.

The best thing you get from a free flowing filter is the noise. On 5-pot cars it's a very nice noise too ;) Take the insulation mat from the inside of your bonnet for even more noise ;)

v70tom
Thursday 11th April 2013, 09:21
Ok. Thanks. No need for hole in bonnet for cold air flow.
Just the cone on and that's it.

M-R-P
Thursday 11th April 2013, 09:23
It's all I've got...

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/DSCF8911.jpg

jotter22
Thursday 11th April 2013, 09:33
You have a cold air feed to the standard air box any way so just utilise that as your cone will sit in the same place as the removed airbox!

Tony.

v70tom
Thursday 11th April 2013, 15:41
That's cool. Ok. I'll do that then.thanks

v70tom
Thursday 11th April 2013, 18:11

Ok, just quick - if I remove the air box ( red marked ) after the sensor before the box,
Where it is mounted together, that's where the cone can go without problem I assume.

What about the pipe ( marked with blue arrow ) a this pipe is connected to the air box at the bottom.
Do I need to reconnect this somewhere else, what function is it for, or can I just leave it hanging lose without any affect on heating, air an or engine ?

Thanks

jotter22
Thursday 11th April 2013, 19:48
Sorry Tom mines ME7 and piped different to yours someone will advise you soon mate.

Tony.

Tomcat
Thursday 11th April 2013, 20:13
Best thing to do is to just take the top off the airbox, put your cone on the end of the pipe (the big one with the sensor) and sit it in the bottom half of your airbox, that way you've still got a cold feed to it and the rest of the plumbing can stay as it is.

shepbomb
Thursday 11th April 2013, 20:18
Best thing to do is to just take the top off the airbox, put your cone on the end of the pipe (the big one with the sensor) and sit it in the bottom half of your airbox, that way you've still got a cold feed to it and the rest of the plumbing can stay as it is.

^^^what he said^^^

M-R-P
Thursday 11th April 2013, 22:39
The pipe marked in blue is a hot air feed from the exhause manifold area. Not sure why modern cars still do this as you may as well throw it in the bin lol.
Rip the maf housing out of the airbox lid, ram the filter on the end and rest it in the lower half of the airbox et viola! job's a goodun ;)

v70tom
Friday 12th April 2013, 04:21
The pipe marked in blue is a hot air feed from the exhause manifold area. Not sure why modern cars still do this as you may as well throw it in the bin lol.
Rip the maf housing out of the airbox lid, ram the filter on the end and rest it in the lower half of the airbox et viola! job's a goodun ;)

Rip it out?
Erh? Could you please explain what you exactly mean by hat? Lol
Is there no need for on the pre me engine or is not a good idea leave it on while using a cone filter?

I would just leave it where it is as it sits on the pipe where the box attached to.
Leave the bottom of the air box sounds ok, but I need to cut the box out to fit the filter, otherwise
I have to get he scoop on as the filter would sit on top of the box and the bonnet has a conflict with it by closing it.
( at least so far I could tell while I tryd it last night without actually doing it about darkness.
Just put it on and it don't go inside the box.
May just cut the ox. Is only 1 or 2 cm I guess.)

I'll try tomorrow with more time and daylight. Thanks guys.

Looks like I looking soon for a t5 lol.

M-R-P
Friday 12th April 2013, 06:12
By "rip it out" I mean undo the 2 screws and remove the MAF housing from the lid. Put the lid somewhere safe like your garage and connect the cone to the maf housing. Then simply rest the maf housing, with the cone connected to it in the bottom of the air box.

Like this...

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/Snapbucket/87F9FDA5-orig.jpg (http://s1100.photobucket.com/user/martinrpeachey/media/Snapbucket/87F9FDA5-orig.jpg.html)

v70tom
Friday 12th April 2013, 21:51
Ok. Got the filter, just need a pipe now to do it this way.
May look around our workshop and see if I can find something to fit it.
Thanks

jotter22
Saturday 13th April 2013, 07:58
Use the pipe that the MAF is connected to already...just undo the MAF from the air box with the 2 torx screws and let the MAF and original pipe sit in the bottom section of the old air box.
So when you are finished you will have: the original pipe and MAF housing and new cone filter sitting over the edge of the bottom section of air box like Martins picture above.

v70tom
Saturday 13th April 2013, 12:04
Did it.
But - removed the airbox complete.
Figured out the cold air feed from the front was not connected proper anyway.
Wen I put the big batterie in I had to disconnect it to get it in.
It never fit proper on.
So the filter is connected to the existing pipe with the NSF still attached but just positioned where the original box was.
The original air feed is still there and is going to the filter, so it should be ok.

v70tom
Sunday 14th April 2013, 08:02
Right.
Done tested so far all fine.
Not much of a sound because the exhaust is louder. Lol
Question of mine - I know, again.
Wat is this grey pipe which was attached to the Airfilter box?
It is attached on the top, so as soon I removed the top this was lose, even leaving the bottom half in would make no difference.
Is it something important which should be attached to something or blocked of ?
(Yellow arrow, red circle)
Thanks21126

stribo
Sunday 14th April 2013, 08:56
Right.
Done tested so far all fine.
Not much of a sound because the exhaust is louder. Lol
Question of mine - I know, again.
It is attached on the top, so as soon I removed the top this was lose, even leaving the bottom half in would make no difference.
Is it something important which should be attached to something or blocked of ?
Thanks21126

I've blocked mine off.

v70tom
Monday 15th April 2013, 18:58
Well.
Motorway test today.
It makes noise, oops. Only when I press the foot down. But I never drove over 100 anyway since I had it.
It seems it needs long time to speed up for a 170 bhp volvo.
Not sure if there was a different to before as it was cold, wet, snowed roads, and the misses in the car, so today I had the first time in sunshine with open roof to try.
Could it be the cone filter reduce the speed ?
Or is this grey pipe ( not blocked off yet ) the problem?
Or is it just me to expect more of the old girl?

The rover was a lot quicker to speed up by the same weight and nearly size with the v6 engine.

And no - not starting getting turbo or compressor for it. Too much work, also not buying a t5 even would be worth having one, but I wouldn't get the money out of the v70 and get for the same penny's a t5 which is in same condition.
Def not a black one.lol

claymore
Monday 15th April 2013, 19:06
All I can say is, don't winge about the performance in one sentence and then in the next sentence say you're not going to get a T5, just live with the performance (or lack of) you've got, and be happy with it.

v70tom
Monday 15th April 2013, 19:48
Erhhh, not wining about the performance.
I know it's not a race car.
I bought it because of the room and I like the shape of the volvos.
Plus factor is the towing.

I did not find an quick deal on a t5 in black when I wanted a different car to the v40 , so I gone for the v70 fwd instead.

Just asking if this is normal for this type of car being slow on speeding up or is it because of the modified Airfilter ?
Aim quiet happy with an answer.
Just so I know in case I made some wrong. Or this car don't like the modification.

If this is normal for a v70 with 170 bhp to speed slow up between 50 and 100 or should it be reasonable fast to do so?
I know the 760 gle was quiet fast but it was an intercollegiate, even it was much older.

If I wanted a race car I would go for something complete different instead an estate car.

I did not try the s on the automatic today, just normal economy drive.
If I get traffic chance tomorrow ill try it in s mode.
I noticed the fuel easel did not go so much down for the distance I drive every day, but this cold be the temperature I guess.

iancho
Tuesday 16th April 2013, 07:34
Mine is an Auto and pulls all the way to a 140+ with no lag or loss of power at all... Put it in Sport mode and Floor it from about 30 and she what she does :rolleyes:

stephenevans99
Tuesday 16th April 2013, 07:53
Right.

A quick Google reveals that pipe to be a vacuum pipe that controls an 'air flap' in the airbox which allows warm air into the airbox when cold......apparently??!!??

jotter22
Tuesday 16th April 2013, 13:07
A quick Google reveals that pipe to be a vacuum pipe that controls an 'air flap' in the airbox which allows warm air into the airbox when cold......apparently??!!??

I think martin already told him that!

v70tom
Tuesday 16th April 2013, 17:11
Yeah. Thanks.
That's the black on.
The grey one is going into the engine under the silver cover where the genitive cables coming out.
Not the Sparkplugs.

Just put the bottom of the box in modified it so the cone fit in it, got the cold air feed from the front back on,
And tried it. But not on motorway.
It pulls fine but it did before.
Not had the chance getting motorways today but will tomorrow and try the 30 to 140.

I let you know what she is doing and how fast she is going up.

claymore
Tuesday 16th April 2013, 18:06
So you're admitting on an open forum that you will be doing twice the speed limit on a motorway in the next day or so,

v70tom
Wednesday 17th April 2013, 08:43
Well, what's the problem?
Where's the proof?
Is still the question where about.
No proof, no pictures, witnesses or video evidence?

M-R-P
Wednesday 17th April 2013, 08:49
I'm sure you mean Kph ;)

V70 Graham
Wednesday 17th April 2013, 08:58
I'm sure he meant 30/40 mph lol

v70tom
Wednesday 17th April 2013, 15:12
Ha ha. Lol.
Don't worry I managed donni racetrack.
Know some security guys there, so the trial was free while nobody was on.
The car is just to heavy and sludgy for a track.
Managed from 10 to 100 in Eco in 31.9 seconds
And same in s drive in 19.1 sec

It feels like is not moving unless you watch the speedo.
Is that good or bad for 170bhp?

Chef using a lot petrol doing that.lol

iancho
Wednesday 17th April 2013, 20:50
I just rent one of Franks many Private roads for half an hour, he is very reasonable.

v70tom
Friday 19th April 2013, 04:07
Private roads ?