PDA

View Full Version : Bypassing Intercooler???

smithson007
Sunday 7th April 2013, 18:55
I suspect i have a leaking/split intercooler on my V70R due to the loud screaming noise im getting once my boost rises above around 0.9bar.

My question is can i bypass the intercooler with a pipe straight from tubo to TB to see if this solves the problem or will i risk damaging my engine with the inlet temperatures been so much higher??

This would only be a temporary solution just to see if this sorts the noise out before i drop in a new intercooler.

Thanks Andy

Santa
Sunday 7th April 2013, 18:57
I suspect i have a leaking/split intercooler on my V70R due to the loud screaming noise im getting once my boost rises above around 0.9bar.

My question is can i bypass the intercooler with a pipe straight from tubo to TB to see if this solves the problem or will i risk damaging my engine with the inlet temperatures been so much higher??

This would only be a temporary solution just to see if this sorts the noise out before i drop in a new intercooler.

Thanks Andy

As long as you don't push it to hard/long it will probably be ok. Its pretty cold at the moment out side which will help.

smithson007
Sunday 7th April 2013, 18:59
As long as you don't push it to hard/long it will probably be ok. Its pretty cold at the moment out side which will help.

I literally just want to take it round the block and see if it gets rid of the noise and see if it will hold boost. It boosts to 1.2 bar but then quickly starts to fall away.

Santa
Sunday 7th April 2013, 19:06
I literally just want to take it round the block and see if it gets rid of the noise and see if it will hold boost. It boosts to 1.2 bar but then quickly starts to fall away.

Should be ok for that, obviously the later it gets today the more the outside temp will drop and the safer it will be.

Rudeyboy18
Sunday 7th April 2013, 20:11

Thanks Andy

Whats the odds of this.... My 98 V70R has just started doing the same ..... Its ok accelerating with pedal mid way down and boost about half.... But when I floor it I get a Loud whistle/ scream above 10psi.... which is about 0.9bar.........

The bottom of my intercooler has some sludge / oil residue on the bottom so im thinking I might have exactly the same problem.

MRP said he had a similar thing too , but his was due to his car running lean from having piffle injectors.... he changed them to blue and noise went.

So im thinking either leak or running lean/ injector issue causing the engine to combust in multiple locations and make engine scream...

I hope between us we get this problem sorted.

My car idles fine, runs fine and at moderate driving NOTHING seems wrong.... but when you floor it.... I get this all mighty scream/whistle. Does this sound similar to you

smithson007
Monday 8th April 2013, 22:10
Whats the odds of this.... My 98 V70R has just started doing the same ..... Its ok accelerating with pedal mid way down and boost about half.... But when I floor it I get a Loud whistle/ scream above 10psi.... which is about 0.9bar.........

The bottom of my intercooler has some sludge / oil residue on the bottom so im thinking I might have exactly the same problem.

MRP said he had a similar thing too , but his was due to his car running lean from having piffle injectors.... he changed them to blue and noise went.

So im thinking either leak or running lean/ injector issue causing the engine to combust in multiple locations and make engine scream...

I hope between us we get this problem sorted.

My car idles fine, runs fine and at moderate driving NOTHING seems wrong.... but when you floor it.... I get this all mighty scream/whistle. Does this sound similar to you

Well tonight i plumbed everything up so it was bypassing the intercooler and the noise was still there. It was a bit quieter but still noticeable.
I took off the intake pipe to the turbo and have found there's a bit of play in the shaft of the turbo so it looks like my turbo is in need of a rebuild.

Yosser
Monday 8th April 2013, 22:39
Boost leak elsewhere maybe? Split/faulty CBV?

Remember how the turbo on my car was quite loud? - I replaced it on Friday and there wasn't much difference in play between the rebuilt one I put in and the old one I took out.

I got the new one VSR balanced though (turbo guy in Glasgow (http://www.theturboguy.com/)), and it's a lot quieter (billet comp wheel too :D)

Don't condemn the turbo too quickly. I thought mine was going to be much worse and in reality it was probably totally fine, maybe a bit out of balance. I'd be going over all the pipe work pretty carefully.

nobananas
Monday 8th April 2013, 22:53
Can you not pressure test the system ?. Maybe you have a inlet manifold gasket or even an injector seal that's leaking under boost. I made a simple plug with a tire valve fitted to it that could be fitted into the top intercooler boost pipe and pressurised with an airline/footpump. Showed up several small leaks on mine, one was a faulty one way valve to the charcoal canister which was allowing the canister to become pressurised.

Rudeyboy18
Tuesday 9th April 2013, 00:07
Oh no, I better take mine off to see if mine is the same.......

T5frankie
Tuesday 9th April 2013, 10:18
i had the same noise and all it was was the turbo top hose was coming off slightly

Rudeyboy18
Tuesday 9th April 2013, 15:22
I hope I get mine sorted soon. Havent driven it since Friday . But Chad has convinced me to buy his 3in downpipe, blue injectors and Rica 340 that's set up for 18t and Rip. So hopefully be running awesome soon.

P.s Frankie, that red car on that banner is gleaming!!! Looks brand new, and its RED ..... not pale red/white. Good work

nobananas
Tuesday 9th April 2013, 20:02
I hope I get mine sorted soon. Havent driven it since Friday . But Chad has convinced me to buy his 3in downpipe, blue injectors and Rica 340 that's set up for 18t and Rip. So hopefully be running awesome soon.

P.s Frankie, that red car on that banner is gleaming!!! Looks brand new, and its RED ..... not pale red/white. Good work

It's amazing what you can do with the colour tint function on Photoshop !

Rudeyboy18
Tuesday 9th April 2013, 20:40
It's amazing what you can do with the colour tint function on Photoshop !

I look forward to the response for this.............. ha

smithson007
Wednesday 10th April 2013, 21:40
Boost leak elsewhere maybe? Split/faulty CBV?

Remember how the turbo on my car was quite loud? - I replaced it on Friday and there wasn't much difference in play between the rebuilt one I put in and the old one I took out.

I got the new one VSR balanced though (turbo guy in Glasgow (http://www.theturboguy.com/)), and it's a lot quieter (billet comp wheel too :D)

Don't condemn the turbo too quickly. I thought mine was going to be much worse and in reality it was probably totally fine, maybe a bit out of balance. I'd be going over all the pipe work pretty carefully.

Im going to check over everything at the weekend see if i can find any leaks anywhere. It does sound like a split hose or leak somewhere as it sounds the same as when i had a boost hose blow off and was just hanging on.
Yes i can remember yours was quite loud but yours went like stink compared to mine. lol.

How much did they charge for balancing it?

smithson007
Wednesday 10th April 2013, 21:46
Can you not pressure test the system ?. Maybe you have a inlet manifold gasket or even an injector seal that's leaking under boost. I made a simple plug with a tire valve fitted to it that could be fitted into the top intercooler boost pipe and pressurised with an airline/footpump. Showed up several small leaks on mine, one was a faulty one way valve to the charcoal canister which was allowing the canister to become pressurised.
I might trying rigging something up to try pressure testing it. What did you make the plug out of mate?

i had the same noise and all it was was the turbo top hose was coming off slightly

Yes ive had a very similar noise before when i had a boost hose come loose. I might be been stupid and looking over something simple.

Yosser
Thursday 11th April 2013, 17:05
How much did they charge for balancing it?

It was £50 + vat, but you might get it cheaper for cash ;)

I took in the bare turbo core once I'd rebuilt it and he balanced it there and then.

For pressure testing the D5, I made up a really crude plug out of 2 aerosol caps (of slightly smaller sizes) and a tyre valve. I siliconed one cap inside the other and then fitted the tyre valve through the top. It was a really crude effort but it worked for that job.

nobananas
Thursday 11th April 2013, 20:23
I might trying rigging something up to try pressure testing it. What did you make the plug out of mate?

I found that the rear hub nut cover off the back of a Citroen (think it was some small Citroen or Pug) was just the right size then just drilled a hole in it and pulled a tyre valve through.

smithson007
Friday 12th April 2013, 12:52
I'm going to attempt to do a pressure test tomorrow now the way I'm going to do it is to take off the inlet pipe to the turbo and connect my air source to the system there.
Will that work ok? If so is there anything I need to blank off or remove from the inlet manifold? Ie:the elbow on the end of the manifold going to the Pcv?
1 more thing is when I pressurise the manifold will the air flow into the engine through the valves or will all these be shut?

nobananas
Friday 12th April 2013, 22:28
I'm going to attempt to do a pressure test tomorrow now the way I'm going to do it is to take off the inlet pipe to the turbo and connect my air source to the system there.
Will that work ok? If so is there anything I need to blank off or remove from the inlet manifold? Ie:the elbow on the end of the manifold going to the Pcv?
1 more thing is when I pressurise the manifold will the air flow into the engine through the valves or will all these be shut?
I would probably test on the boost side of the pipework first so connect to the pipe that runs over the top of the engine first. You won't have to blank anything off as pressure will be affecting things in the same way as it would with the turbo spooling. You will have a little pressure loss through the engine (past the rings etc) but if your engine in good nick won't be much. Remember there isn't any position that the engine will stop in that will pass air straight through so you should be able to hold the system under pressure easily enough.