PDA

View Full Version : new shape C70, they any good?

p fandango
Saturday 6th April 2013, 14:54
the local main stealer's got a 58plate C70 (folding hardtop) on the forecourt & surprised how reasonably priced it was.

are they any good, any known issues & how are the diesel engines with the DPF

thanks

M-R-P
Saturday 6th April 2013, 15:58
1700kg mate. :yikes:

The folding roof is a work of art tho. Have a word with JIMKA, he's got a D5 model.

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 6th April 2013, 20:03
I really liked Hamish's 2L Diesel. Lovely motor to drive - boot space is compromised when the lid is down. Focus based chassis is really nice to drive.

T5frankie
Saturday 6th April 2013, 20:07
jamie from pfv has a modded t5 one in his car park (not his though lol)

MIKESC70T5
Saturday 6th April 2013, 20:16
VolvoKid use to have one, but a T5 variant.

volvokid
Saturday 6th April 2013, 20:35
The only 2 things I hated with mine was the lack of performance and the seats where ok but not on par with the bigger volvos. I dont like how its based on the s40 v50 the old c70 was a coupe version of the rest of the 70 series so i dont know why volvo went and based it on the baby volvos. I got mine for a steal as well it dropped more than half its new value in 1 year.
The roofs are good but can creak a little volvo did do a kit to reduce this I had mine done under warranty. I haven't heard of a roof failing yet. I would have another but not the T5

foammanmark
Saturday 6th April 2013, 21:25
I have a 2000 model and we love the car in everyway. So long as they're the same or better in later models, I'd go for it.

LiamT4
Saturday 6th April 2013, 22:57
Not sure if a convertible will suit you mate ;-)

p fandango
Sunday 7th April 2013, 00:33
1700kg mate. :yikes:

The folding roof is a work of art tho. Have a word with JIMKA, he's got a D5 model.
bloody hell, can't be far off the same weight as the old mans Chrysler lol

p fandango
Sunday 7th April 2013, 00:39
hmm, well the short list was only ever 2 models, either a C30 or C70. Even tho i don't really need a big car i do think the C30 will feel a bit small for my liking. & it looks like the C70 is overweight & under-powered, so now what?

T5frankie
Sunday 7th April 2013, 08:23
the c70 will only need mapping, easy to get over 300bhp with those engines,

Jimmie
Sunday 7th April 2013, 08:44
hmm, well the short list was only ever 2 models, either a C30 or C70. Even tho i don't really need a big car i do think the C30 will feel a bit small for my liking. & it looks like the C70 is overweight & under-powered, so now what?

Take a drive in one and make your own mind up .You might get a surprise and just buy one but you might have to wait a while for a T5 to come on the market.
I would defo buy one but would have to keep the tin lid on .lol
You can not compare a Volvo to a Chrysler can you ?

volvokid
Sunday 7th April 2013, 09:00
Im with jimmie. Take a drive of one they are really nice, they can be quite tail happy ;). If the one your looking at has all the toys in it too you will love it.

p fandango
Sunday 7th April 2013, 09:25
the c70 will only need mapping, easy to get over 300bhp with those engines,
the C70 will be to replace Bonny so will be a diesel

p fandango
Sunday 7th April 2013, 09:27
Take a drive in one and make your own mind up .You might get a surprise and just buy one but you might have to wait a while for a T5 to come on the market.
I would defo buy one but would have to keep the tin lid on .lol
You can not compare a Volvo to a Chrysler can you ?
its for my daily car so will be a diesel, surprisingly the main stealer said most C70's are auto's. I was only comparing to the weight of the Chrysler

p fandango
Sunday 7th April 2013, 09:30
Im with jimmie. Take a drive of one they are really nice, they can be quite tail happy ;). If the one your looking at has all the toys in it too you will love it.
the salesman yesterday was very happy to go thru all the finance but didn't once offer to go & get the keys so not even sat in one, i will have to tho as headroom might be an issue. They seemed to be over-run by C30 D2's so he was concentrating on selling me one of them lol

Jimmie
Sunday 7th April 2013, 09:40
He was a proper salesman then as you are supposed to ask for the keys.
You were the buyer were you not?

p fandango
Sunday 7th April 2013, 09:45
He was a proper salesman then as you are supposed to ask for the keys.
You were the buyer were you not?
we were only passing & got the shopping defrosting in the boot so weren't overly fussed, it was purely to see whats in the price range. Everywhere i've been before tho have always made sure the car is fully accessible if someone is looking round it

Jimmie
Sunday 7th April 2013, 09:59
we were only passing & got the shopping defrosting in the boot so weren't overly fussed, it was purely to see whats in the price range. Everywhere i've been before tho have always made sure the car is fully accessible if someone is looking round it
That type of sales people are a pain and i personally would move on or waste there time.
A proper one should not appear too eager to sale you something because there is a better chance you will come back and buy the item from them.

p fandango
Sunday 7th April 2013, 10:14
That type of sales people are a pain and i personally would move on or waste there time.
A proper one should not appear too eager to sale you something because there is a better chance you will come back and buy the item from them.
now i think yesterdays was too eager, quite happy to go thru the finance than to make sure we were looking at the right car for what i want. Obviously i've had no sales training, but the C30 & C70 are 2 totally different cars so would of seen which would suit them best. I don't think he even spent 2 minutes talking about C70's, really did seem like they'd got alot of C30's to clear

jotter22
Sunday 7th April 2013, 10:29
Dont let the salesperson take control be decisive and to the point so he/she knows you know what you want and dont forget to ring around for better prices and be open that you will be doing that you will be surprised what deals you can achieve if you have the power to say Yes or No! above all enjoy the chase of getting what you want at the best price and with the right spec and deal!

Tony.

p fandango
Sunday 7th April 2013, 10:49
Dont let the salesperson take control be decisive and to the point so he/she knows you know what you want and dont forget to ring around for better prices and be open that you will be doing that you will be surprised what deals you can achieve if you have the power to say Yes or No! above all enjoy the chase of getting what you want at the best price and with the right spec and deal!
i think that was the issue, i don't know what i want as yet. But thanks & yes i'm already looking see what other traders have got

V70 Graham
Sunday 7th April 2013, 11:05
i think that was the issue, i don't know what i want as yet......

Then take your time and try everything, the customer is always right.

Pliskin
Sunday 7th April 2013, 14:06
I had a 56 plate T5 C70 and it was a great car to drive. The roof, which I believe was designed in Italy, failed on mine a number of times, jamming part open.

It had to have some of the roof sensors replaced at a cost of around £650.

A brake pedal sensor also failed, which was about £450, thankfully both done under warranty which was about to expire two days afterwards.

The only other thing I noticed was and it might be down to the poor state of the roads, throwing stuff up was that the paint (silver) appeared to chip very easily.

Other than that it was great and although not chipped, it went very well indeed and was lovely on long runs.

volvokid
Sunday 7th April 2013, 17:59
I had a 56 plate T5 C70 and it was a great car to drive. The roof, which I believe was designed in Italy, failed on mine a number of times, jamming part open.

It had to have some of the roof sensors replaced at a cost of around £650.

A brake pedal sensor also failed, which was about £450, thankfully both done under warranty which was about to expire two days afterwards.

The only other thing I noticed was and it might be down to the poor state of the roads, throwing stuff up was that the paint (silver) appeared to chip very easily.

Other than that it was great and although not chipped, it went very well indeed and was lovely on long runs.

Thats very unlucky with the roof. Ive spoke to 3 dealers and they hadnt seen one fail saying that though out of that 3 dealers only 1 has heard of the R liners cracking so I take what they say with a pinch of salt

volvokid
Sunday 7th April 2013, 18:00
the salesman yesterday was very happy to go thru all the finance but didn't once offer to go & get the keys so not even sat in one, i will have to tho as headroom might be an issue. They seemed to be over-run by C30 D2's so he was concentrating on selling me one of them lol

Head room isnt an issue my cousin is 6.7 and still fits decent.

jimka
Monday 8th April 2013, 09:21
Loved the C70 D5 with polestar but the MPG was pretty rough at around 33mpg. On a long run it could do 50mpg however (all that weight!)

I chopped it in last week and bought a C70 T5 - the performance is on-par standard with the remaped diesel, but is much smoother and doesnt sound like a tractor. I'll post some photo's when I get around to cleaning it!

My old one is for sale at my local volvo dealership - sure they'd be happy to sell it to you :)

p fandango
Monday 8th April 2013, 09:36
Loved the C70 D5 with polestar but the MPG was pretty rough at around 33mpg. On a long run it could do 50mpg however (all that weight!)

I chopped it in last week and bought a C70 T5 - the performance is on-par standard with the remaped diesel, but is much smoother and doesnt sound like a tractor. I'll post some photo's when I get around to cleaning it!
see thats another thing i'm not sure off, currently having a 52reg D5 with no DPF it has got me worried about going to a newer diesel with all the stupid emmission stuff on. Plus losing 7mpg compared to what i'm getting now

My old one is for sale at my local volvo dealership - sure they'd be happy to sell it to you :)
i think i've got alot more window shopping to do yet, & afraid to say that might include looking at other manufactures :(

jotter22
Monday 8th April 2013, 10:01
see thats another thing i'm not sure off, currently having a 52reg D5 with no DPF it has got me worried about going to a newer diesel with all the stupid emmission stuff on. Plus losing 7mpg compared to what i'm getting now

i think i've got alot more window shopping to do yet, & afraid to say that might include looking at other manufactures :(

Looking at other manufacturers is or should be par for the course no one should spend £30k on a particular car because they feel they should!
Tony.

p fandango
Monday 8th April 2013, 10:13
Looking at other manufacturers is or should be par for the course no one should spend £30k on a particular car because they feel they should!
Tony.
I won't be spending £30k, possibly £8-12k. I'm very biased about my Volvo's & they've always done me well, I like to stick to what I know. My old man pointed out I could get a 300c for that price, but they don't do anything for me

M-R-P
Monday 8th April 2013, 10:35
You could get a 58 plate V70 T6 AWD for the money you're looking to spend and that's a very good car, if a little thirsty :)

p fandango
Monday 8th April 2013, 11:28
You could get a 58 plate V70 T6 AWD for the money you're looking to spend and that's a very good car, if a little thirsty :)
thanks for the idea, but i'm not a fan of 4x4/AWD, its a daily so got to be diesel & is the T6 still automatic only which is another no no lol

M-R-P
Monday 8th April 2013, 11:35
Auto with the quick shift thingy and I think you can get flapp-paddles for it too.

What about a P3 S60, D4? they go well and available in manual.

p fandango
Monday 8th April 2013, 12:16
What about a P3 S60, D4? they go well and available in manual.
quick look on Autotrader & they still seem to be going quite high price wise, looks like some bargain S40's but again don't know about them size wise

Blackdog
Monday 8th April 2013, 13:09
I had a C30 D3 as a loaner while mine was having some warranty work done.

Loved it. Comfy, quiet and went like stink.

Take one out for a test drive.

Much more room in them than you would think.

And you can them in a D4....

hamish
Wednesday 15th May 2013, 12:50
the local main stealer's got a 58plate C70 (folding hardtop) on the forecourt & surprised how reasonably priced it was.

are they any good, any known issues & how are the diesel engines with the DPF

thanks

Hi Duane,

As Wobbly mentioned I've been the proud owner of a 2009 C70 2.0D for the last year. Its a FANTASTIC car quiet, comfortable, economical and a good looking. Obviously it is tuned and it also has had DPF Delete which is something you should consider. The handling is sublime with an uprated ARB and Polybushed front wishbones. It is now on 19s (235 35 19) and much to my surprise the ride is still excellent. The fuel consumption for me is comparable with my 2003 S60 D5 and it has a much smaller tank so you don't feel like you are being kicked so hard in the §§§§§§§§ at the petrol station ! The thing that I like most is it is a FUN car to drive that is economical and you can use everyday.With it's Focus origins it is CHEAP to run and maintain too. FUNtastic Value !

Regards,
Hamish.

Storm-Troll
Saturday 5th April 2014, 14:12
I really liked Hamish's 2L Diesel. Lovely motor to drive - boot space is compromised when the lid is down. Focus based chassis is really nice to drive.

He stole my idea.. Nat saw mine when you were all at dads funeral and I let her drive it.... weeks later Hamish had brought her one... lol... :funkybana

Storm-Troll
Saturday 5th April 2014, 14:23
I have the 2009 T5 version and out of the 4 volvo's I have had. I absolutely love it. its so much fun to drive and handles like a sports car.... Highly recommend.....:eclipsee_

Storm-Troll
Saturday 5th April 2014, 14:27
Oh yeah. I also spent a few coins on a black box that I fitted myself so I can now put my roof up and down on the move up to 28 mph so dont need to be stationary with foot on brake. Plus I can now put roof and windows up and down at a distance with the remote control.... well plush :funkybana

p fandango
Saturday 5th April 2014, 14:31
i've gave up looking for a reasonably priced car tbh, i'll stick with the cheap run-about for now