PDA

View Full Version : HELP...... blue smoke out of the exhaust

oblark
Saturday 6th April 2013, 09:45
As the title says, I get a cloud of blue smoke out of the exhaust when I`m boosting and change gear, also when i take my foot off the throttle and brake :(

It has only just doing this and the engine has only done 50k

Could be the turbo seals ?

There is a lot of play in the turbo shaft.

Biff
Saturday 6th April 2013, 09:50
I'd say turbo given your low miles. Is it a lot of smoke & its doing it regularly?

oblark
Saturday 6th April 2013, 09:59
It`s a "good" cloud and it only does it when I`m boosting so it regular :)

Biff
Saturday 6th April 2013, 10:05
I'd be addressing the turbo first then mate.

oblark
Saturday 6th April 2013, 10:15
Just taken all the boost pipes off and checked the turbo, when the turbo is cold they is lift in the shaft, as the turbo is now hot the lift has gone.

I think I mite have found the problem :)

Biff
Saturday 6th April 2013, 10:22
Are the boost pipes full of oil? Off past experience when a turbo go's it throws it everywhere. Lol

oblark
Saturday 6th April 2013, 10:27
No, thats the first think I checked :)

Just put her back together and going for a spin so fingers crossed

oblark
Saturday 6th April 2013, 10:39
All sorted :)

As my PCV doesn`t go to the turbo inlet but just vents to atmosphere it was making a mess all over the dizzy cap,

So yesterday I moved the PCV pipe down towards the radiator/air filter

So the crap that comes out of the pipe was being drawn into the air filter and generating great clouds of blue smoke.

"If ain`t broke don`t fix it" is todays phrase :)

stribo
Saturday 6th April 2013, 11:09

As my PCV doesn`t go to the turbo inlet but just vents to atmosphere it was making a mess all over the dizzy cap,

So the crap that comes out of the pipe was being drawn into the air filter and generating great clouds of blue smoke.

Have you thought about a catch tank? ;)

oblark
Saturday 6th April 2013, 11:22
Have you thought about a catch tank? ;)

Yeah :)

It`s on a long list of jobs to do on the car

Plus venting to atmosphere is cheaper :)

claymore
Saturday 6th April 2013, 12:09
ive got a catch can you can have

oblark
Saturday 6th April 2013, 12:19
Brillant :)

Are you going to the sparkford meet ?

If so can you bring it with you :)

AndysR
Saturday 6th April 2013, 12:57

Glad to hear the smoking has stopped but I can't understand why it would generate clouds of blue smoke out the exhaust because your PCV is venting close to the air filter, bearing in mind that they usually vent into the intake system directly before the turbo under normal conditions anyway. If the PCV is generating that much smoke that even after combustion your getting clouds of smoke out the exhaust I'd say you've still got a problem that needs to be addressed. ..?

M-R-P
Saturday 6th April 2013, 13:18
Depends on how his pcv is set up Andy. If there's no tank under the manifold, all the oil that normally falls back into the block from the bottom of the tank would be fired from the vent pipe, making quite a mess.

oblark
Saturday 6th April 2013, 13:38
Glad to hear the smoking has stopped but I can't understand why it would generate clouds of blue smoke out the exhaust because your PCV is venting close to the air filter, bearing in mind that they usually vent into the intake system directly before the turbo under normal conditions anyway. If the PCV is generating that much smoke that even after combustion your getting clouds of smoke out the exhaust I'd say you've still got a problem that needs to be addressed. ..?

Depends on how his pcv is set up Andy. If there's no tank under the manifold, all the oil that normally falls back into the block from the bottom of the tank would be fired from the vent pipe, making quite a mess.

I`m still using the standard PCV tank under the inlet manifold, Ever since this engine was installed I`ve always had a black oily substaince come out of the pipe that goes to the turbo inlet pipe, All I did was put a small cone filter on the end of the pipe by the dizzy.

I cant believe that moving the pipe closer to the air filter would cause the engine to suck in the black substaince and cause so much smoke.
At the end of the day the PCV pipe has now been extended and is down behind the engine and the engine is no longer smoking :)
One of lifes little mysteries :)

V70 Graham
Saturday 6th April 2013, 13:52
Anyway a nice easy quick cheap fix, best go out and floor it again just to make sure though lol

oblark
Saturday 6th April 2013, 14:50
Anyway a nice easy quick cheap fix, best go out and floor it again just to make sure though lol

I`ll be giving her a good blast tomorrow too and from Goodwood :)

Biff
Saturday 6th April 2013, 15:37
Glad it was an easy fix & cheap too.

AndysR
Saturday 6th April 2013, 15:42
I`m still using the standard PCV tank under the inlet manifold, Ever since this engine was installed I`ve always had a black oily substaince come out of the pipe that goes to the turbo inlet pipe, All I did was put a small cone filter on the end of the pipe by the dizzy.

I cant believe that moving the pipe closer to the air filter would cause the engine to suck in the black substaince and cause so much smoke.
At the end of the day the PCV pipe has now been extended and is down behind the engine and the engine is no longer smoking :)
One of lifes little mysteries :)

Fair enough, got love a result like that I guess :smile:

I`ll be giving her a good blast tomorrow too and from Goodwood :)

Breakfast club? See you there ;)

oblark
Saturday 6th April 2013, 15:54
Breakfast club? See you there ;)

Yeap, breakfast club :)