PDA

View Full Version : 940 turbo problems HELP

sarge3uk
Friday 5th April 2013, 19:27
Hi all in need of some help recently done the headgasket as i had some issuses also with a puff of blue smoke occainsly, on my way home yesterday it was smoking heavy underload up hill and sat idling (blue smoke)

So today i stripped the PCV checked it was free flowing few other tests and i think its the turbo checked the intercooler and pipes, they are showing signs of oil, the turbo has minor play

Im just after a second opinion on the turbo the cars done 218k miles and cannot see any history of any work regarding the turbo in our history for previous owner
Many thanks james

smithy
Friday 5th April 2013, 19:49
Hi all in need of some help recently done the headgasket as i had some issuses also with a puff of blue smoke occainsly, on my way home yesterday it was smoking heavy underload up hill and sat idling (blue smoke)

So today i stripped the PCV checked it was free flowing few other tests and i think its the turbo checked the intercooler and pipes, they are showing signs of oil, the turbo has minor play

Im just after a second opinion on the turbo the cars done 218k miles and cannot see any history of any work regarding the turbo in our history for previous owner
Many thanks james

Turbo has had it mate I think it is time for a upgrade 15/16/18/19t or go garrett or go 20g .

sarge3uk
Friday 5th April 2013, 20:08
Ive got a low mileage 13 at work im going to stick on just till i get back from my holiday then ill stick my 15g on just have to do something with the exhaust

smithy
Friday 5th April 2013, 20:18
Ive got a low mileage 13 at work im going to stick on just till i get back from my holiday then ill stick my 15g on just have to do something with the exhaust

If you can get the old type 15g it has a conical flange and straight bolt on mate

sarge3uk
Friday 5th April 2013, 20:27
Im sure the one ive got is a flat flange but thinking about it midland turbos told me the core would mate up to the exhaust housing as nearly all of them are identical, i need to do my downpipe due to some one fitting a cheap aftermarket one that is only 2"

sarge3uk
Saturday 6th April 2013, 12:57
Put my new turbo on its stopped smoking just getting abit under boost and on come down so guessing still traces of oil in the the exhaust that are getting forced out on boost

smithy
Saturday 6th April 2013, 15:16
Put my new turbo on its stopped smoking just getting abit under boost and on come down so guessing still traces of oil in the the exhaust that are getting forced out on boost

How much boost you running

sarge3uk
Saturday 6th April 2013, 15:28
Spikes to 10 then drops to 9psi so not stupid

smithy
Saturday 6th April 2013, 18:58
Spikes to 10 then drops to 9psi so not stupid

Should be able to hit 12 psi so the actuator is still weak .see if you can get a 15g actuator and tighten the rod up on the actuator mate

sarge3uk
Sunday 7th April 2013, 10:15
Found the fault last night the air filter was to restrictive was a spare i had, the car is still smoking now and again so going to put the 15g when i get back off holiday and its now boosting to a 11psi and holding