PDA

View Full Version : s60 front seat removal

graemewelch
Monday 1st April 2013, 16:10
is there much involved in removing the front seats on a s60. planing on steam cleaning them.

Harvey
Monday 1st April 2013, 16:38
If you got heated seats I would give it a miss,also if they are Electric I would leave it. Just to much to go wrong.

andyb1375
Monday 1st April 2013, 16:43
Easy enough to remove, but i wouldn't steam clean them !!

volvokid
Monday 1st April 2013, 16:43
I thought your seats where leather. . Are you doing it to try and take out creases?

graemewelch
Monday 1st April 2013, 16:44
both eletric and heated but not worried about that,ill just disconect the battery and remove them a hour later.

stevmo
Monday 1st April 2013, 17:37
why steam clean? just use decent leather cleaner.
This is after about 2 mins of scrubbing using leather repair company premium leather cleaner and cleaning gel (I'ma leather repair technician for them in my spare time)

Thats the base seat for the back of my dads galant as we got a leather interior for it - guy who owned the car seats were from didnt really care apparently

by the way - anyone who tells you you cant scrub leather is an idiot. I use a tampica brush which is the softest man made bristles to scrub them. remember leather is cows skin - quite thick

JamesT5
Monday 1st April 2013, 18:01
I will have to remove my drivers seat at some point to fit a new control module for the seat heater. I will be disconnecting the battery first and waiting for the juice to 'run out the system' before removing the electrical connectors. Those orange plugs scare the hell out of me, I just get visions of airbags deploying! :D

graemewelch
Monday 1st April 2013, 18:05
i steam cleaned the rear bench yesterday and it came up well. then treated it to some gliptone. i got the idea from detailing world. i saw a write up on it and was impressed by the results. ive give them a quick clean. next stage is to whip them out and give them a intensive clean and dye them as they are show there age a little. whilst they are out ill wet vac the carpets and dress all the plastics. some one is going to get a very clean car when they buy it

http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg483/gwexhausts/IMG_9628_zps8797ed89.jpg

http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg483/gwexhausts/IMG_9627_zps8e179958.jpg
http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg483/gwexhausts/IMG_9626_zps4c8850fa.jpg

http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg483/gwexhausts/IMG_9625_zps940473b8.jpg
http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg483/gwexhausts/IMG_9624_zps6c8eb3cf.jpg

http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg483/gwexhausts/IMG_9623_zps7edb7bc3.jpg
http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg483/gwexhausts/IMG_9622_zps34b4a2c5.jpg

pic are in no order but you can see the difference after a quick clean

JamesT5
Monday 1st April 2013, 19:41
whilst they are out ill wet vac the carpets and dress all the plastics. some one is going to get a very clean car when they buy it

I'm not a huge fan of silicone dressings for the inside myself, I prefer the natural finish and reserve the shine for tyres on the exterior.

I used to be a car and vehicle valeter doing a lot of work for Main Stealers like BMW, Chrysler, Vauxhall and Nissan as well as independent second hand car traders. The only time I'd use silicone on the inside is if it was totally wrecked and would look worse without it, or sometimes just a bit around the door/carpet trim where people catch their feet.

Other than that, silicone stayed in the tin. :D

Interestingly, silicone sprays play havoc with bodyshop spray jobs because even the smallest amounts cause 'fish eyes' in the paint finish if it get on to the body work. When I worked at a Chrysler garage, the bodyshop manager used to go mental if I used silicone spray on the cars for the forecourt or showroom because even 3 units down, it used to 'drift' and get on the bodywork of the cars he was spraying causing these 'fish eyes', then he'd have to sand it all back and do it again.

Anyway, sorry for side tracking! :D

graemewelch
Monday 1st April 2013, 19:45
i only use a satin finish. id never use silicone looks cheap. poorboys natural dressing is one of my favourires

volvokid
Monday 1st April 2013, 19:49
I was going to suggest poor boys but didn't want to drift your thread. Thats the best stuff I have ever used. Smells amazing too and dry to a totally natural look, I hate shinny dashboards.

graemewelch
Monday 1st April 2013, 20:05
im sure this will drift anyway. next week will be carpet cleaning. no point in having loads of threads. ill just keep adding to this one

volvokid
Monday 1st April 2013, 20:20
I want to get a carpet cleaner on mine but tbh I think it will be a waste of time they look like new.

graemewelch
Monday 1st April 2013, 20:31
mine dont look bad. but ill have befor and after pics so hopfully will see a difference. i know whats going to happen though. ill end up wth it fully detailed and wont want to sell. outside was detailed late last year and is still looking good. just got a few battle scares to get sorted.

volvokid
Monday 1st April 2013, 20:38
My cars had winter mats over the carpet mats since new so they still look spanking too. Yeah once you get your seats restored it will look the business, you have one of the best looking P2s on here. You will regret selling it

graemewelch
Monday 1st April 2013, 20:41
My cars had winter mats over the carpet mats since new so they still look spanking too. Yeah once you get your seats restored it will look the business, you have one of the best looking P2s on here. You will regret selling it

i know im goint to. to behonest im already having 2nd thoughts. ive got a set of focus rs rims to go onit. but dose it realy make sense running a t5 when i planning to emergrate in a years time. im running about in a focus tdci at minute. i hate it. seats are rock hard and make my back ache. already been looking a v70 d5s

volvokid
Monday 1st April 2013, 20:47
Well dont do what I did, sell my C70 T5 and then not move to Canada. Things change and a year is a long time. I had my contract signed, and we had both our visa's finished. I dont regret selling it. It didn't deserve a T5 badge unless you spent a fortune on it to make it go faster. My mate had a 1.4 corsa at the time and I was barely pushing him out the road with the thing lol.

graemewelch
Monday 1st April 2013, 21:01
Well dont do what I did, sell my C70 T5 and then not move to Canada. Things change and a year is a long time. I had my contract signed, and we had both our visa's finished. I dont regret selling it. It didn't deserve a T5 badge unless you spent a fortune on it to make it go faster. My mate had a 1.4 corsa at the time and I was barely pushing him out the road with the thing lol.

its 100% happening. weve been working towards it for about 7 year now. ive invested a lot of money to get thing moving. its dam expensive i know that

stevmo
Monday 1st April 2013, 22:04
wet vaccing :D

that drivers mat took a whole tank and still wasnt clean!!

this was first time I used the wet vac and this is from just the drivers mat:

I'll have to give it another clean before I sell it - gotta sort the injectors first (I hate diesels!!)

stevmo
Monday 1st April 2013, 22:05
btw GW if you still have the T5 in a year I may want it off you and sell my 2.0T - depends what happens in a year

JamesT5
Monday 1st April 2013, 22:08
The great thing about the V70 P2 is that the bottom boot lining boards just pull straight out, then you just roll the rug doctor over them and they're clean in seconds. Robert's your fathers brother..... ;)