PDA

View Full Version : general 940 help

jonny940
Sunday 31st March 2013, 22:33
hi looking abit help and info on my 940. its a 2.3 lpt and im new to volvo so bare with me if they are newbie questions :)

first one is ive noticed my crankshaft pulley seems to be vibrating/wobbling could this be cured with a new pulley or is there a crank problem?

secondly whats the valve with a vacuum pipe coming of it near the bulk head sort of behind the inlet and towards passenger side a bit? noticed it was unplugged but when its is theres quite a bit of blue smoke.

lastly ive heard there is something called a vpc and to clean it out, what/where is this and how do clean it out ?

thanks
jonny

Dangerous Dave
Sunday 31st March 2013, 23:19
The crank pulley bolt could be loose.

Not sure on the valve, smithy would be the best to ask.

The PCV is usually on the Volvo 850 and newer. The 940 does have a crankcase ventilation system, theres a tank underneath the inlet manifold on the block which can get clogged and the attached pipework. Might be worth a clean.

Get yourself a haynes manual off ebay as most of the stuff is in there, probably the best place to start.

jonny940
Sunday 7th April 2013, 22:12
thanks bomb192uk

found the tank underneath the inlet, next weekend ill have to get it of and clean it and pipes out. the valve i was asking about it seems to be going into the tank via a hose

the crank pulley i checked the bolt and its tight. any advice on this issue would be greatly appreciated. tho it will be going to mechanic once he can get time to look at it.

nobananas
Sunday 7th April 2013, 23:22
The pulley problem may be that it's a 'harmonic balanced' pulley which basically means that the outer part of the pulley (that the belt runs on) is separated from the inner part (which is bolted the crank) by a sandwich layer of rubber. Over time the rubber breaks down or tears out completely causing the wobble.

jonny940
Tuesday 9th April 2013, 23:33
thanks nobananas. can it be be bought from a motor factors? i went in today and asked my local fyfes and they said nothing was listened for crank pulley. what should i be asking for when looking for this balanced outer part and rubber?

ill take a we look at it to morrow night and see if i can see any rubber. may even take a picture of it