PDA

View Full Version : Damien - The resurrection

Pages : [1] 2

AndysR
Sunday 31st March 2013, 14:24
So Damien has been locked away for 1 year unused and ignored, other than the occasional battery recharge and push about so it didn’t flat spot my tyres. As I said last year Damien would be coming back in 2013 and here we are in 2013 what’s going on?

Well on March 2nd I had the car transported down to RT’s where at some point this coming month the engine will be removed stripped and the cause of the engine noise will be found, expecting it to be a bent rod and then the fault rectified.
Plans are to refresh and rebuild the engine using new genuine Volvo parts wherever possible, fitting H Beam rods, new shells, new rings and a hone etc etc, maybe new pistons although will wait to see what the existing ones are like. Tbh I’d like to keep with the standard ones if possible, Not looking at any substantial power hikes, before the engine noise I was quite content with the power and the engine ran well, however I am looking to have a few tweaks, be rude not too :smileypul
Having done some research into high powered auto’s I am also having a genuine Volvo auxiliary gearbox cooler fitted and switching to some upgraded gearbox oil, other than that and new seals the gearbox will remain as was. When the engine is out I will be cleaning the engine bay as this is something I did on my previous car and I have always wanted to do to the Volvo.
There are a few goodies on their way from America and I have a few little bits already that are waiting to go on….
Once the car is all back together, mot’d and taxed Mark Shead will be tweaking my map so it’s up to scratch. Then maybe another outing to a ¼ mile event to see if we can’t get it a little closer to some of the faster manual times, especially if I can see more than 1.1 bar in 1st and 2nd gears, which seems to be where it counts on the ¼, the auto’s only going into 3rd at the end which is where my higher boost previously started to kick in…

As the car progresses I will add the updates here but I expect it to be a couple of months until I have the car back on the road ready, I also plan to drive it to the Ring this year and after last years trip as a passenger I am really looking forward to that :rally_dri
In the meantime this is how the car looked just before it came out the garage ready to be loaded on the trailer, even in the garage it can’t escape the dust, almost a barn find! Lol

Odd how it doesn’t look that bad from a distance

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/The%20refit/100_3983-1.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/The%20refit/100_3988-1.jpg

But up close?

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/100_3993.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/100_3992.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/100_3985.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/The%20refit/100_3990-1.jpg

On the trailer, just, about to head off…

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/Cargoing.jpg

Arrived at RT’s and waiting surgery next to a T5 which is also having a bit of an overhaul…

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/gettingready.jpeg

I’m going for a different look in the engine bay as well so these will be gracing the bay once it’s all back together 

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/The%20refit/Coversdone.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/The%20refit/sparkplugcoverdone2.jpg

That’s it for now, nothing to exciting yet but that’s where we are at as of now, thanks for reading and as always comments are welcomed. 

smithy
Sunday 31st March 2013, 14:39
Welcome back mate we have missed you and with the rods etc turn the boost up to 1.4 bar constant should be dam quick .

Tomcat
Sunday 31st March 2013, 14:39
Great to see your car again Andy, yours has to be one of my all time favourite cars on here. Are the engine covers just wrapped?, looking forward to reading the progress on this.

Nealevo
Sunday 31st March 2013, 14:50
Reading with interest Andy, I've just done a manual conversion on mine with help from a few members, glad you're back in the game, I always loved your sig pic as inspiration how a Volvo should look..

T5frankie
Sunday 31st March 2013, 14:58
cool, glad you're getting it all sorted mate

AndysR
Sunday 31st March 2013, 15:15
Welcome back mate we have missed you and with the rods etc turn the boost up to 1.4 bar constant should be dam quick .

Thanks Smithy, want to be careful with he box but we shall see.

Great to see your car again Andy, yours has to be one of my all time favourite cars on here. Are the engine covers just wrapped?, looking forward to reading the progress on this.

Thanks Craig, that's very kind. Think your splitter helps with that look, had to take it off for transport reasons but it will be going back on ;)
Trims are Hydro treated. A friend from my Ford past started a business and does a bit for the Ford clubs etc and I asked him if wouldn't mind doing some parts for my Volvo, obviously not carbon fibre quality but not far off and a damn sight cheaper, but a lot better than wrapping and will last longer in the engine bay environment.

Reading with interest Andy, I've just done a manual conversion on mine with help from a few members, glad you're back in the game, I always loved your sig pic as inspiration how a Volvo should look..

Thanks Neal, tbh despite being really busy I have missed the scene and pleased to be getting back onboard again, not to mention looking forward to drivng my 850 again. What made you convert, just fancied manual or did the box give up? I've always found this forum to be one of the most helpful I have come across with a great collection of members who will help others at the drop of a hat..

M-R-P
Sunday 31st March 2013, 15:35
Hello stranger!

Nice to see your car on the road to recovery ;)

AndysR
Sunday 31st March 2013, 15:58
Hello stranger!

Nice to see your car on the road to recovery ;)

Afternoon :wave23d: Look forward to catching up, planning to make it to a few of the meets later in the year :)

T5frankie
Sunday 31st March 2013, 16:02
see you still have that sig lol

AndysR
Sunday 31st March 2013, 16:23
see you still have that sig lol

Never a truer word spoken on here than in that sig... lol

I was considering the removal but I think I'll just leave it up for a few more days for old times sakes ;)

T5frankie
Sunday 31st March 2013, 16:35
Never a truer word spoken on here than in that sig... lol

I was considering the removal but I think I'll just leave it up for a few more days for old times sakes ;)

lol i still have my standard top mount and standard exhaust on my 850r, loving the quiet power.......

http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac96/t5frankie/My%20cars/20130316_165320_zps501b1ab8.jpg

MA'R'K
Sunday 31st March 2013, 16:43
Nice one Andy, looks like a beast! I would very much be up for a Ring trip....I planned to do it a few years back on a Euro trip to Italy, but got stuck in Cologne for a day too long (very good nightlife!!!), so had to skip it unfortuately :(

Anyway, good luck with the next phase of your project!

Kingsford G
Sunday 31st March 2013, 16:48
Glad u fixing the car mate and she deffo deserves it as is the best 850R I`ve seen so far.I have an auto too and was gonna ask if u had an oil cooler fitted but doesn`t look like u had.The way your car performed last year mad me think about autos.

Kingsford G
Sunday 31st March 2013, 16:56
lol i still have my standard top mount and standard exhaust on my 850r, loving the quiet power.......

http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac96/t5frankie/My%20cars/20130316_165320_zps501b1ab8.jpg

You have your white pants on then frankie?:smile: looks good

T5frankie
Sunday 31st March 2013, 16:59
You have your white pants on then frankie?:smile: looks good

thats not the most current photo but its dirty at the minute so ill do another at some other point

Nealevo
Sunday 31st March 2013, 17:45
Thanks Neal, tbh despite being really busy I have missed the scene and pleased to be getting back onboard agkain, not to mention looking forward to drivng my 850 again. What made you convert, just fancied manual or did the box give up? I've always found this forum to be one of the most helpful I have come across with a great collection of members who will help others at the drop of a hat..

My auto was still perfect and ran beautifully, I went to TRAX last year and an auto wasn't suited for track work so decided to fit a manual as it will be more fun, and it will enhance any future mods, good luck with the build, and enjoy 'The Ring' now you have been once you will want to do it again and again. Next time you go give me a shout and I might be able to get you some jaguar hospitality :)

merc85
Sunday 31st March 2013, 18:22
Well still andy that car of your is just truly stunning, Cant wait to see it again, and perhap another ride, At least we wont be able to bend any rods this time ;)

Awesome mate and inspiring :)

AndysR
Sunday 31st March 2013, 18:40

For now ;)

Nice one Andy, looks like a beast! I would very much be up for a Ring trip....I planned to do it a few years back on a Euro trip to Italy, but got stuck in Cologne for a day too long (very good nightlife!!!), so had to skip it unfortuately :(

Anyway, good luck with the next phase of your project!

Thanks Mark, the company made the trip as much as the locaton and for that reason I will always do my upmost to attend, was very easily up there with the best of any holiday I've ever been on!

Glad u fixing the car mate and she deffo deserves it as is the best 850R I`ve seen so far.I have an auto too and was gonna ask if u had an oil cooler fitted but doesn`t look like u had.The way your car performed last year mad me think about autos.

Thanks, see went a little too well last time... lol
Cooler now going on at this stage :)

My auto was still perfect and ran beautifully, I went to TRAX last year and an auto wasn't suited for track work so decided to fit a manual as it will be more fun, and it will enhance any future mods, good luck with the build, and enjoy 'The Ring' now you have been once you will want to do it again and again. Next time you go give me a shout and I might be able to get you some jaguar hospitality :)

Fair play, tbh for fast driving around the track a manual is always going to be the better option, must confess I like the lazyness of the auto, must be getting old! lol
Thanks for the offer with the hospitatlity tickets, will let you know when we go :)

Well still andy that car of your is just truly stunning, Cant wait to see it again, and perhap another ride, At least we wont be able to bend any rods this time ;)

Awesome mate and inspiring :)

This is very true, anyway it wasn't your fault the rod went it didn't help I fitted that free flowing intake pipe and then didn't get the boost levels rechecked.. Live and learn :(
But bigger and better now :)

stribo
Sunday 31st March 2013, 18:43
Be interesting to see the progress of this. BTW in the pick of your car on the trailer, you've hidden the Navarra's registration, but left it visible on the trailer lol, and the saffy's reg is shown in reflection on one of your other pics. ;)

merc85
Sunday 31st March 2013, 18:50
Be interesting to see the progress of this. BTW in the pick of your car on the trailer, you've hidden the Navarra's registration, but left it visible on the trailer lol, and the saffy's reg is shown in reflection on one of your other pics. ;)

"Stribo" the new phantom Reg spotter pmsl :hilarious

stribo
Sunday 31st March 2013, 19:21
"Stribo" the new phantom Reg spotter pmsl :hilarious

Yeah, but yours is too easy to spot. :P

merc85
Sunday 31st March 2013, 19:23
Yeah, but yours is too easy to spot. :P

its a registration plate lol

munster732
Sunday 31st March 2013, 19:32
Every time I look at that signature picture i get slightly, physically aroused.
Monumental car that I would love to see in the flesh.

AndysR
Sunday 31st March 2013, 19:34

Such as life, the full plate isn't on display for the saffy and the trailer plate well, it is what it is.. Well spotted, not that I think the guy with the Navara will be bothered lol

The Flying Moose
Sunday 31st March 2013, 19:53
Andy! Welcome back mate, good to hear from you once more.

I'm really pleased you found the faith to keep going on what is and has been said so many times to be one of the best if not best 850R saloons still about.

Hopefully catch up with you when your up and running again.

Good luck! :)

AndysR
Sunday 31st March 2013, 20:00
Andy! Welcome back mate, good to hear from you once more.

I'm really pleased you found the faith to keep going on what is and has been said so many times to be one of the best if not best 850R saloons still about.

Hopefully catch up with you when your up and running again.

Good luck! :)

Too kind dear Emlyn too kind! Yes been a long time coming but getting there, I see your back in the fold again with another red R, albeit an estate this time. Looks really familar that reg it doesn't happen to be a manual wit black interior does it? P... DAB? Used to belong to a guy called Simon?

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 31st March 2013, 20:08
what inspired the change of heart?

LiamT4
Sunday 31st March 2013, 21:23
It'll be good to see how well it goes after its been fixed and with the forged rods and extra cooler for the box so it can run a bit more more boost.

T5frankie
Sunday 31st March 2013, 21:25
Too kind dear Emlyn too kind! Yes been a long time coming but getting there, I see your back in the fold again with another red R, albeit an estate this time. Looks really familar that reg it doesn't happen to be a manual wit black interior does it? P... DAB? Used to belong to a guy called Simon?

correct

AndysR
Sunday 31st March 2013, 21:45
correct

thought I recognised it, was a nice car back then. If it's been looked aftershould still be a good one :smile:

It'll be good to see how well it goes after its been fixed and with the forged rods and extra cooler for the box so it can run a bit more more boost.

Should be interesting, went well with the 1.1 bar in 1st and 2nd before. Be interesting to see what it feels like when it's done although I fear it maybe at the expense of traction... Althought would be good to see how it handles 1.3-1.4 in 2nd :)

what inspired the change of heart?

Realising I missed not driving the car, theres a reason so many people sell up move on and come back, I just never got round to selling up before I came back. Itching and I mean itching to get it back now, it's been far too long....

LiamT4
Sunday 31st March 2013, 21:49
Maybe only go for a bit more in first, 1.2, but go for 1.3-1.4 in second.

Traction shouldn't be an issue for an auto on the 1/4mile, but you never know ;-)

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 31st March 2013, 21:55
I never left. How bad is that.

AndysR
Sunday 31st March 2013, 21:55
Maybe only go for a bit more in first, 1.2, but go for 1.3-1.4 in second.

Traction shouldn't be an issue for an auto on the 1/4mile, but you never know ;-)

Perhaps, tbh it accelerated that quickly once on the move that it touched the rev limiter in 1st on occassion where it caught the box out and that was with 1.1 bar, not sure anymore in 1st would be a positive gain or a waste of Yokohamas! lol that said the limiter could be raised slightly.

AndysR
Sunday 31st March 2013, 21:56
Dave, it's not bad at all you know better! lol

Kingsford G
Sunday 31st March 2013, 21:58
Thanks, see went a little too well last time... lol
Cooler now going on at this stage :)

U should`ve seen Gavs face trying to kerep up when u kicked off form that roundabout I thought for a minute he`s gonna push me out of the car to loose some weight lol

LiamT4
Sunday 31st March 2013, 22:00
Perhaps, tbh it accelerated that quickly once on the move that it touched the rev limiter in 1st on occassion where it caught the box out and that was with 1.1 bar, not sure anymore in 1st would be a positive gain or a waste of Yokohamas! lol that said the limiter could be raised slightly.

I suppose if i can light the tyres off the line in a fat overweight, rwd, auto, german saloon that idles at 500rpm, you may find it more tricky than i originally thought lol

AndysR
Sunday 31st March 2013, 22:04
U should`ve seen Gavs face trying to kerep up when u kicked off form that roundabout I thought for a minute he`s gonna push me out of the car to loose some weight lol

PMSL!!

I suppose if i can light the tyres off the line in a fat overweight, rwd, auto, german saloon that idles at 500rpm, you may find it more tricky than i originally thought lol

I could always rely on the traction control..... or not! lol

LiamT4
Sunday 31st March 2013, 22:11
I could always rely on the traction control..... or not! lol

LOL.......yeah, not the best traction control sytem on the old volvos is it!
It is nice to have a proper traction control system in the bmw.......which is good, as in the wet it REALLY needs it ;-)

AndysR
Sunday 31st March 2013, 22:22
LOL.......yeah, not the best traction control sytem on the old volvos is it!
It is nice to have a proper traction control system in the bmw.......which is good, as in the wet it REALLY needs it ;-)

I know what you mean, have driven both manual and auto versions of your car and I have to say the car feels a lot more suited to the auto box but you only need to breathe on the pedal and the low down torque sheads a mm from the rear tyres.... lol Nice spec on them though, does yours have the phone, tv and electronic adjustable steering wheel?

Kingsford G
Sunday 31st March 2013, 22:25
does yours have the phone, tv and electronic adjustable steering wheel?

A mini bar is more like it knowing Liam lol

AndysR
Sunday 31st March 2013, 22:32

The auto one I drove had double glazing too! Was odd seeing a black boarder around the window glass if you didn't have it open all the way...

t5 pete
Sunday 31st March 2013, 22:34
Im looking forward to seeing it back on the road certainly one lovley motor

LiamT4
Sunday 31st March 2013, 22:37
I know what you mean, have driven both manual and auto versions of your car and I have to say the car feels a lot more suited to the auto box but you only need to breathe on the pedal and the low down torque sheads a mm from the rear tyres.... lol Nice spec on them though, does yours have the phone, tv and electronic adjustable steering wheel?

lol
No mine doesn't have the tv or the phone (which i'm glad about really as the phone spoils the interior). But it does have the electric steering wheel, which moves up automatically when you take the key out, so its easier to get in/out lol

It has most of the other stuff on it, electrically adjustable heated seats (including the bit that moves in and out for your legs), dual zone climate control, electric folding wing mirrors, auto dim mirrors, rain sensors (which are brilliant on the motorway).

But i suppose my fave bits are the electric rear blind (good for p*ss*ng off tailgaters) and the "easy" start function, which is where when starting the car you don't hold the key untill its starts, you just sort of flick it into key position 4 quickly and let go and it starts by iteslf.

All in, for less than £2k, i think it makes a brilliant daily car.

Kingsford G
Sunday 31st March 2013, 22:45
lol
No mine doesn't have the tv or the phone (which i'm glad about really as the phone spoils the interior). But it does have the electric steering wheel, which moves up automatically when you take the key out, so its easier to get in/out lol

It has most of the other stuff on it, electrically adjustable heated seats (including the bit that moves in and out for your legs), dual zone climate control, electric folding wing mirrors, auto dim mirrors, rain sensors (which are brilliant on the motorway).

But i suppose my fave bits are the electric rear blind (good for p*ss*ng off tailgaters) and the "easy" start function, which is where when starting the car you don't hold the key untill its starts, you just sort of flick it into key position 4 quickly and let go and it starts by iteslf.

Less than 2k? nice.I love the way auto boxes change on bmw`s unlike mine not even slight kicking.Lovely to drive but don`t want one lol

LiamT4
Sunday 31st March 2013, 22:54
The auto one I drove had double glazing too! Was odd seeing a black boarder around the window glass if you didn't have it open all the way...

Think the double glazing came out the year after mine, which is a 1999 (on the 5 series anyway, think you could get it on the e32 7 series in the 80s), when they had a bit of an update (although i have the newer angel eyes)

Less than 2k? nice.I love the way auto boxes change on bmw`s unlike mine not even slight kicking.Lovely to drive but don`t want one lol

yep £1700 is all it cost (the wheels are in a bad shape though and i will get them done)
The autos are very good, although i thought the box on my s70r was pretty decent. The smoothest autos are mercs though.

AndysR
Sunday 31st March 2013, 23:53

The autobox on mine is really smooth, perhaps you need to change the fluid on yours or if you have what fluid did you use?

lol

They are well spec'd the auto was Y reg, 2001 facelift model I think. It was a directors car and as a result spec'd to the hilt...

The easy start has become very popular of late on most cars with the stop start technology, my Polo company car does that.

Kingsford G
Sunday 31st March 2013, 23:58
The autobox on mine is really smooth, perhaps you need to change the fluid on yours or if you have what fluid did you use?

I`ve changed it mate with a Castrol dextron3 transmax,it was like this before change too and I flashed it untill the fluid came out red,about 12-13L all in all

AndysR
Monday 1st April 2013, 00:00
Sounds like the right sort of fluid... Maybe you've got an engine mount which has play or maybe the box in yours is just naturally jerky...

Kingsford G
Monday 1st April 2013, 00:05
Sounds like the right sort of fluid... Maybe you've got an engine mount which has play or maybe the box in yours is just naturally jerky...

I don`t know mate,my 1st auto tbh,love the relaxed cruising and 1 foot down to take off.

AndysR
Monday 1st April 2013, 00:08
Glad your happy with it :)

Kingsford G
Monday 1st April 2013, 00:17
Glad your happy with it :)

Very happy so far.I was gonna convert to manual and bought another 1 for parts but have a new plan.To maybe tune this
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/kingsford10/IMAG0142_zps83753813.jpg
I might turn into Dick turpin before Gav then

LiamT4
Monday 1st April 2013, 12:48
The easy start has become very popular of late on most cars with the stop start technology, my Polo company car does that.

Thats the funny thing though, someone at works just got a new 120d that does it and he's like "watch this when i start it" and i'm like "yeah, my old barge does that"lol

I like the way that not only does it have the normal memory settings for seat, steering and mirror positions. But that each key remembers how everything was when the last person used it. So i can set it up how i like it, then someone else can use the other key and everytime each person uses it, it automatically changes to how they left it.

oh, its got parking sensors too, although it hasn't stopped me from bumping in to my fence :dunce:

AndysR
Monday 1st April 2013, 21:27
Thats the funny thing though, someone at works just got a new 120d that does it and he's like "watch this when i start it" and i'm like "yeah, my old barge does that"lol

I like the way that not only does it have the normal memory settings for seat, steering and mirror positions. But that each key remembers how everything was when the last person used it. So i can set it up how i like it, then someone else can use the other key and everytime each person uses it, it automatically changes to how they left it.

oh, its got parking sensors too, although it hasn't stopped me from bumping in to my fence :dunce:

Lol, too trusting in modern technology were we?

AndysR
Wednesday 3rd April 2013, 22:59
Update time… :smile:

So have had a few goodies arrive ready for when the engine starts to go back together..

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/untitled6.png

Rods…

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/untitled4-1.png

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/untitled3-1.png

Snabb big bore inlet kit :smile:

Which comes with 2.5 inlet manifold, which I've had powder coated black

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/untitled7-2.png

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/untitled2-1.png

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/untitled6-2.png

the inlet also comes with a poly inlet spacer (not pictured here) which bolts between the inlet manfold and cylinder head and helps to prevent heat transfer from the engine to the inlet manifold. Also to completement the inlet manifold and complete the big bore kit it would be rude not to include a reconditioned 960 throttle body which includes the correct throttle linkage to allow direct fitment to the cars existing throttle setup and enlarged silicone intake hose (not pictured here)...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/untitled-1.png

Also decided to opt for the genuine maf to turbo pipe to replace my existing aftermarket maf to turbo pipe, again I opted to have this powder coated in black...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/untitled1.png

AndysR
Wednesday 3rd April 2013, 23:02
And…….

From this

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/untitled1new.png

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/untitled2.png

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/untitled4.png

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/untitled3.png

touring car engine positioning anyone.. lol

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/untitled8.png

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/untitled9.png

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/untitled10new.png

to this

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/untitled.png

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/untitled14.png

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/untitled11.png

the engine is out, now the important part begins..

I have to clean this area that’s left….

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/untitled7.png

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/untitled15.png

The plan is to clean the bay at some point towards the end of this month which is the soonest I can get away from work long enough to allow me to have sufficent time to do the cleaning properly, pictures of my progress will be added as I go but that's probably all updates wise until then.. :smile:

merc85
Wednesday 3rd April 2013, 23:02
Very very nice mate, Quality parts for a quality Build. This machine is going to be a awesome bit of kit.:B_thumb:

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 3rd April 2013, 23:03
I like snabb's bits. What turbo choice do you have in mind?

Biff
Wednesday 3rd April 2013, 23:04
Really looking forward to seeing this car back on the road. Really nice motor, nice mods & good attention to detail. I hope in a few years I can aim mine towards that standard.

merc85
Wednesday 3rd April 2013, 23:05
Whole lot out on the subframe yeah baby, Get cleaning andy, lol well done mate, cant wait to see this car again in the flesh :)

LiamT4
Wednesday 3rd April 2013, 23:06
Coming along well, i'm liking the black theme going on under the bonnet.

merc85
Wednesday 3rd April 2013, 23:08

I think the current turbo is well up for what andysR wants ;) but of course you can always go bigger pmsl

Pliskin
Wednesday 3rd April 2013, 23:14
Great to see you and the car back Andy. It is however also tinged with a certain amount of sadness because it looks like I am never going to get my hot mits on this car any time soon. .........gutted.

However I still have those pictures of you and that Alpaca.

Kingsford G
Wednesday 3rd April 2013, 23:15
It was very fast as it is and now it`ll be a wild horse lolNice goodies there Andy.Is Jim doing anything on his?

AndysR
Thursday 4th April 2013, 00:10
Very very nice mate, Quality parts for a quality Build. This machine is going to be a awesome bit of kit.:B_thumb:

It should be ok, it's not going to be a firebreather just refined ;)

Yeah, they do appear to be of a good quaility, will be sticking with the hybrid 15G that's currently fitted.

Really looking forward to seeing this car back on the road. Really nice motor, nice mods & good attention to detail. I hope in a few years I can aim mine towards that standard.

That's very kind, I really appreciate your comments. It's not that high a standard so shouldn't take that long to get to there if your not already there so don't worry.

Whole lot out on the subframe yeah baby, Get cleaning andy, lol well done mate, cant wait to see this car again in the flesh :)

Lol, thought you would like that, lol Don't worry I intended to get as much of the grime and crap off as I can ;)

Coming along well, i'm liking the black theme going on under the bonnet.

Thanks Liam, I am hoping it will look well and not too moody once back together.. lol

I think the current turbo is well up for what andysR wants ;) but of course you can always go bigger pmsl

Not just yet I won't be.

Great to see you and the car back Andy. It is however also tinged with a certain amount of sadness because it looks like I am never going to get my hot mits on this car any time soon. .........gutted.

However I still have those pictures of you and that Alpaca.

Thanks, no still mine at the moment! lol

It was very fast as it is and now it`ll be a wild horse lolNice goodies there Andy.Is Jim doing anything on his?

It went ok, I wouldn't expect too much more from it as I need to be sensible with the box ;)

James's is there for a few bits and pieces ;)

AndysR
Tuesday 9th April 2013, 22:34
Got some more pictures through from RT Mechanics today, it seems, although unwell, Russ has been busy starting the strip down of the engine and a number of the parts ordered from Volvo have arrived :smile:

Parts selection

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/untitled25.png

Autobox cooler :smile:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/untitled27.png

Shame it's had to be stripped as it's oil leak/weap free on the outside

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/1.png

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/13.png

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/3.png

Rocker cover and cams out

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/7.png

Oil pump out

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/11.png

It's now ready to have the head removed and pistons out which is hopefully happening tomorrow, will be keeping fingers crossed that the crank, block and head are all ok :bricks:

t5 pete
Tuesday 9th April 2013, 22:42
looking good andy good progress and one very clean car and engine bay its always nice to see all the parts its like christmass untill you add all the cost up

AndysR
Tuesday 9th April 2013, 22:46
I have also decided to renew the subframe bushes as they're just starting to split, although only very minor at the moment it seems like the perfect opportunity to do them whilst the subframe is out. I've also decided to go for standard Volvo replacements, I know other uprated items are available but it's what I'd rather.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/untitled12-1.png

Damiens current resting position, keeping Russ's freshly restored T-5R company, can think of worse places... lol :smile:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/untitled17new.png

AndysR
Tuesday 9th April 2013, 22:51
looking good andy good progress and one very clean car and engine bay its always nice to see all the parts its like christmass untill you add all the cost up

Thanks Pete, yes it's always nice seeing all the parts together, I try not to think of the cost but as it's been something I've been planning for a while Excel spreadsheets helped to make sure I keep to my budget, that and I am a sucker for sinking cash into cars, luckily it's my only real vice although sometimes I think alcohol or tobacco would be cheaper... lol

merc85
Tuesday 9th April 2013, 23:08
I have also decided to renew the subframe bushes as they're just starting to split, although only very minor at the moment it seems like the perfect opportunity to do them whilst the subframe is out. I've also decided to go for standard Volvo replacements, I know other uprated items are available but it's what I'd rather.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/untitled12-1.png

Damiens current resting position, keeping Russ's freshly restored T-5R company, can think of worse places... lol :smile:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/untitled17new.png

OMG! ive just had a accident a 855 Gul

merc85
Tuesday 9th April 2013, 23:10
Good choice on the Subframe mounts bud. I think the extra vib's with aything any than rubber would spoil the car ;)

Kingsford G
Tuesday 9th April 2013, 23:12
Nice work going on there,like the look of genuine parts.Are polybushing the subframe Andy?

Kingsford G
Tuesday 9th April 2013, 23:13
Oh,and that auto box oil cooler is big I was thinking of something smaller,with the power I`ll be running probably don`t even need one lol

merc85
Tuesday 9th April 2013, 23:14
Nice work going on there,like the look of genuine parts.Are polybushing the subframe Andy?

ermmmm...... nope lol

AndysR
Tuesday 9th April 2013, 23:28
OMG! ive just had a accident a 855 Gul

Consider yourself lucky that's a poor quality shot the paintwork on that car is phenominal! Oh and to wind you up even more it's been converted to manual and isn't quite the 240 hp it once was, it's a bit more ;) lol

Good choice on the Subframe mounts bud. I think the extra vib's with aything any than rubber would spoil the car ;)

That's where my train of thought was tbh, I am quite happy with how well the car handles and I didn't want to change the feel or introduce any vibrations or additional harshness to an otherwise smooth and squeak/rattle free car :)

Oh,and that auto box oil cooler is big I was thinking of something smaller,with the power I`ll be running probably don`t even need one lol

I always go for genuine parts unless uprating as I find they fit best and last longest :)

Depends how your going to be driving the car and what power the car is running, the biggest most popular killer of auto transmissions is through overheating the fluid as it can rapidly degrade the oil which leads to transmission damage through glazing of the internal parts and slipping of the transmisson, overcooling can also be an issue but with the aux cooler designed to run inline with the standard rad incorporated cooler the temperature of the fluid can be regulated so as not to allow the aux cooler to overcool the fluid. Mines probably putting out a bit more power than yours and I wanted to give the box the best chance I can aside from regular oil flushes and changes.

Kingsford G
Tuesday 9th April 2013, 23:34
Mines probably putting out a bit more power than yours

Are u sure,just a little bit?:lol: nowhere near is more like it,mine has never been modified.

AndysR
Monday 15th April 2013, 22:51
News from RT Mechanics, engine is now completely stripped. The cause of the fault was traced to a minor bend on no. 2 conrod, it's just slightly "kissed" the balance weight section of the crank so thankfully no serious damage was caused and you can't actually visually detect the bend in the rod it was that slight. Quite pleased I resisted using it after hearing the noise tbh... So the block has gone away to be professionally measured/tested and the head has also gone away to another specialist for some testing etc..

A few shots of the stripped components.

The damage to one of the balance weight sections of the crank

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/29.png (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/29.png.html)

Pistons and rods out...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/41.png (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/41.png.html)

Piston skirts looking good with no abnormalities.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/40.png (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/40.png.html)

Piston crown with no signs of det.. (this is no.5 but they're all the same)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/34.png (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/34.png.html)

Crank all good, apart from the slight mark causedby the rod but this won't cause an issue and will be dealt with by the machine shop

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/25.png (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/25.png.html)

Big end shells looking all good

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/23.png (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/23.png.html)

Bore, looking nice with factory hone marks still present (won't "bore" you with all five)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/18.png (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/18.png.html)

However despite the hone marks still being present news back from the specialist is that the bore has worn unevenly and has worn 5 thou at the bottom of the bore but is worn to 9 thou at the top of the bore which means that the bores will need to be test bored to see how much needs to be done to get them straight again, this is something that often goes undetected but is faily common to the T5 engine from what the specialist has said. The likely hood is that they will need to go out to around 82mm which is a little too large for my 81.02mm standard pistons even with oversized rings when running the level of tune I will be. This means I will be looking at fitting oversized pistons (which Volvo don't make anymore) so will be looking to seek the help of CP pistons for those but it does mean that the potential delay added by having to wait for the pistons to be made will result in Damien missing the Ring trip this year :(
Still will wait to hear from the specialist to see if oversized pistons are my only option.
In the meantime I have returned to an old time haunt, cleanyourcar.co.uk, and have been buying a few valeting goodies for use in the engine bay, I have some time off next week so plan to get to work on cleaning the bay at some stage during my holiday break, amongst other things, so more on that as progress occurs, that's all for now :smile:

Kingsford G
Monday 15th April 2013, 22:59
I can`t believe the condition of the parts,very good service all its life from what I can see.

t5 pete
Monday 15th April 2013, 23:05
Looking good Andy, the pic of the crank looks like myne did but myne was on number 1 clyinder.
Thats a fair bit of wear on the bores what milage did the engine have and also could you feel a decent lip on the top of the liner i know volvo do .4 over sized.
It seems the shells dont wear too quick on our motors myne looked really good with no wear but i thought while im at it i minds well fit a full new set of shells for whats its going to cost also how did the shells look for the crank.

Heres a pic of my crank where it met
http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt39/t5pete/IMAG0968_zps59e2bee9.jpg (http://s595.photobucket.com/user/t5pete/media/IMAG0968_zps59e2bee9.jpg.html)

AndysR
Monday 15th April 2013, 23:21
I can`t believe the condition of the parts,very good service all its life from what I can see.

It's quite clean yes, but it's got a very good, mainly full Volvo service history up to when I bought it then had a full service done at Volvo and RT's have serviced it ever since plus I've been very ocd with oil changes at least every 2-3,000 miles since 87,000, with Silkoline Pro S, although it is usually around 2,000 when I check the book after changing it...lol

Looking good Andy, the pic of the crank looks like myne did but myne was on number 1 clyinder.
Thats a fair bit of wear on the bores what milage did the engine have and also could you feel a decent lip on the top of the liner i know volvo do .4 over sized.
It seems the shells dont wear too quick on our motors myne looked really good with no wear but i thought while im at it i minds well fit a full new set of shells for whats its going to cost also how did the shells look for the crank.

Heres a pic of my crank where it met
http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt39/t5pete/IMAG0968_zps59e2bee9.jpg (http://s595.photobucket.com/user/t5pete/media/IMAG0968_zps59e2bee9.jpg.html)

Yeah even I was suprised after seeing the pictures of all bores coupled with the fact that the engine has only done just over 100,000 miles, don't think there was a noticeable lip on the top of the bore... Russ has had a couple recently including the engine for his estate which have done this, although worse probably due to his engine having covered more miles than mine. The machine shop have said it's not unusual to see this on the T5 engine and I was given the heads up about it before the engine was stripped I just hoped that as mine was lower mileage than most I'd escape the need for pistons... How lucky was I... lol

Did you notice anything on yours whilst driving that could have caused the rod to go? Could you see anything on the rod in question? Part of me was hoping to see something more substantial on mine in a way... lol

t5 pete
Monday 15th April 2013, 23:35
Yeah even I was suprised after seeing the pictures of all bores coupled with the fact that the engine has only done just over 100,000 miles, don't think there was a noticeable lip on the top of the bore... Russ has had a couple recently including the engine for his estate which have done this, although worse probably due to his engine having covered more miles than mine. The machine shop have said it's not unusual to see this on the T5 engine and I was given the heads up about it before the engine was stripped I just hoped that as mine was lower mileage than most I'd escape the need for pistons... How lucky was I... lol

Did you notice anything on yours whilst driving that could have caused the rod to go? Could you see anything on the rod in question? Part of me was hoping to see something more substantial on mine in a way... lol

What happend with myne was i got a spike in 4th gear the car had been running at 20psi for some time with no problems but for some reason i decided to floor it at about 2.5k and it pulled well to full boost then had a really bad jerk/splutter i noticed the boost gauge spiking up wards of 25psi pulled over and tap tap and didnt run it any more.

The is a little s bend and i can see some twisting in the rod its nothing major but can just be seen

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 16th April 2013, 08:57
In the meantime I have returned to an old time haunt, cleanyourcar.co.uk, and have been buying a few valeting goodies for use in the engine bay, I have some time off next week so plan to get to work on cleaning the bay at some stage during my holiday break, amongst other things, so more on that as progress occurs, that's all for now

Carlack 68 special cleaner is really good for that - CYC have stopped stocking it sadly.

AndysR
Tuesday 16th April 2013, 21:39
What happend with myne was i got a spike in 4th gear the car had been running at 20psi for some time with no problems but for some reason i decided to floor it at about 2.5k and it pulled well to full boost then had a really bad jerk/splutter i noticed the boost gauge spiking up wards of 25psi pulled over and tap tap and didnt run it any more.

The is a little s bend and i can see some twisting in the rod its nothing major but can just be seen

Fair enough, tbh I only noticed mine when I pulled up I could hear it, but when driving with the windows up prior to pulling up it drove faultlessly...

Carlack 68 special cleaner is really good for that - CYC have stopped stocking it sadly.

Thanks for the heads up, will give that a go if I have no joy with the products I already have :)

Kingsford G
Wednesday 17th April 2013, 00:53
The best way of cleaning yr engine bay is take Gav with u as if for a visit and he won`t resist the temptation of cleaning the open engine bay

AndysR
Wednesday 17th April 2013, 21:49
The best way of cleaning yr engine bay is take Gav with u as if for a visit and he won`t resist the temptation of cleaning the open engine bay

That's a good one, I do however also have some small experience when it comes to cleaning cars so I'll save Gav the time and give it a crack myself.. Lol

merc85
Wednesday 17th April 2013, 23:41
charming lol

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 18th April 2013, 12:45
Fair enough, tbh I only noticed mine when I pulled up I could hear it, but when driving with the windows up prior to pulling up it drove faultlessly...

Thanks for the heads up, will give that a go if I have no joy with the products I already have :)

I used it with great success on Betsy's bay & subframe prior to the refit.

AndysR
Saturday 27th April 2013, 11:55
Yesterdays events…

So having had a lovely relaxing week away from work I decided to take a trip down to see Russ and the team @ RT Mechanics with the intention of giving the engine bay a spruce up. Luckily for me my brother’s car was now ready for collection, having been at RT’s for a service and some other bits and pieces, it was also a good excuse to jump in with him rather than drive myself…

Having spent the last few weeks amalgamating and adding to my collection of cleaning bits and for fear of needing something I had left behind I took almost everything I had. At this point it was just as well James was using RT’s 960 estate, so I was now well prepared to do battle with 17 years worth of dirt and grime. We left home at 07:00 and having done nearly 3 hours contending with the tolls, M25 road works and traffic jams we arrived, those 960’s do eat the miles well I can see why so many for sale are high milers!

Now the fun part starts! I lift the bonnet and see a large hole once occupied by an engine and gearbox to see a large and very dirty area filled with nooks and crannies… yummy! No problem I’ve got a lovely collection of degreasers and cleaners so off I go attacking the bay with confidence that this will be a breeze! This confidence lasts all of about 5 minutes when I realise that actually its going to be a nightmare and no amount of cleaning product is going to replace elbow grease! I was lied too the cheek of it….. lol
It was also at this point, having cleaned a small area, that I realised I hadn’t taken any before pictures and worse still that I had left my camera at home, so the pictures I did take were all done using my phone so aren’t brilliant, apologies in advance.

Anyway all joking aside having spent the best part of 5 hours cleaning away 17 years of heat treated grease, dirt and dust I now have an engine bay which looks slightly cleaner and more presentable, even the areas that will be hidden by the engine and gearbox.. lol
One thing I was quite surprised with was the sparse use of paint, I was well aware that the engine bay itself wasn’t lacquered but the paint level pretty much ceases from the top of the chassis rails down. Oh and no I didn’t clean the paint off the metal, I was quite careful being aware that the paint would be delicate without the protection of lacquer, caring out product tests in inconspicuous places in advance as advised.

For those interested, and despite putting Halfords to shame with my product selection, I only ended up using Autoglym Engine and Machine Degreaser, warm water, a soft paint brush and a standard kitchen moppet on the painted areas. The Autoglym to be fair to it was a brilliant product and unlike so many degreasing cleaners I’ve used in the past I still have quite a bit left. In the more difficult heavier affected areas mainly the subframe, I used a stiff brush and allowed the Autoglym to dwell for around 10-15 mins. I also used a product available from Tesco which I’ve read reviews about on Detailing World called Daisy. It’s a cheap entry level general all purpose cleaner which I diluted 1:5 and found it worked great on the inner arch liners and plastics. After that, and with help, I pushed the car outside the workshop, rinsed the painted areas and upper engine bay with a handheld pressure sprayer, then jet washed the subframe and lower engine bay areas finally damping dry afterwards with a soft microfibre cloth. Seeing the engine bay clean it was refreshing to see that no corrosion had set in despite having seen a few of the 850’s suffering with corrosion around the battery tray area, presumably due to a previous battery leakage causing any corrosion inhibitors to be stripped from the metal.

Anyway the pictures.

Before – Apologies for the low light, these were taken inside the workshop

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/photo34.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/photo34.jpg.html)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/photo-2.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/photo-2.jpg.html)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/photo2.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/photo2.jpg.html)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/photo1-2.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/photo1-2.jpg.html)

After :smile:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/photo23.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/photo23.jpg.html)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/photo22.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/photo22.jpg.html)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/photo5.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/photo5.jpg.html)

Close up comparison

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/Dirty1.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/Dirty1.jpg.html)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/Clean1.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/Clean1.jpg.html)

AndysR
Saturday 27th April 2013, 11:58
Having cleaned the engine bay and seeing the car outside in the sunshine I quickly grew irritated by the “barn find” look the car had adopted over the last year so I had to clean it..

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/Dirty3.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/Dirty3.jpg.html)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/dirty2.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/dirty2.jpg.html)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/photo31new.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/photo31new.jpg.html)

Using the jet wash I found most of the accumulated dirt washed off, indeed I was quite surprised to see the water beading nicely even just after a rinse before washing, proof that polishing and waxing on a regular basis is well worth the effort!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/Beading.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/Beading.jpg.html)

So having purely washed and dried the car I am left with the paint finish I remember, I still would have polished and waxed it but time was getting on, it now being around 17:00 and James and I needed to be getting back.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/Clean3.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/Clean3.jpg.html)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/clean2.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/clean2.jpg.html)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/photo18.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/photo18.jpg.html)

Having always wanted one of these Russ was also kind enough to source a black faced SC-805 so I popped that in as well,

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/Sc805.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/Sc805.jpg.html)

So Damien was returned to his temporary home at the back of RT’s workshop awaiting the rebuilt engine to be fitted when done but at least its a lot cleaner now :smile:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/Alldonefortoday.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/Alldonefortoday.jpg.html)

That just leaves me to say a very big thank you to the team @ RT's today having allowed me to borrow various tools, ramp space, wash bay and to just generally annoy and get in your way whilst you continued to battle a busy work filled day it generally was a pleasure as always :smile:

LiamT4
Saturday 27th April 2013, 12:01
If i ever see an 854R in your colour and that looks in as good condition, i think i will just HAVE to buy it.

merc85
Saturday 27th April 2013, 13:17
Looks tons better, and im not one bit jellous lol, engine bays are never easy to clean, especially around the rack area on 850s

JUDGENINJA
Saturday 27th April 2013, 14:00
Looks good..

V70 Graham
Saturday 27th April 2013, 16:39
Very nice engine bay, time well spent.

stevie69
Saturday 27th April 2013, 16:51
If i ever see an 854R in your colour and that looks in as good condition, i think i will just HAVE to buy it.ill maybe beat you to it..

T5frankie
Saturday 27th April 2013, 16:56
ill maybe beat you to it..

me too just so he cant have it lol

LiamT4
Saturday 27th April 2013, 20:11

cheers

T5frankie
Saturday 27th April 2013, 20:16
cheers

well stop being half arsed if you want one get one, if youre looking ill keep my eye out for you, i can't stop thing of getting an rs6 lol

LiamT4
Saturday 27th April 2013, 20:21
well stop being half arsed if you want one get one, if youre looking ill keep my eye out for you, i can't stop thing of getting an rs6 lol

An rs6.......wow, there're on a whole new level of running costs lol

Tomcat
Saturday 27th April 2013, 20:29
Andy it's always a pleasure reading your thread, the amount of care and hardwork you put into your car is breathtaking, I was looking at the drivers seat in my R today and think "Nope, it's not good enough, Andy wouldn't be happy with that".lol.

T5frankie
Saturday 27th April 2013, 20:42

2003 model mapped to 500bhp lovely jubbly

Kingsford G
Saturday 27th April 2013, 20:48
Liam,u right,if u find 1 in the same condition u must buy it but yr chances are limited tho `cos in a year and half watching volvos for sale I haven`t seen one near as good in the same colour especially.That is very clean Andy.I remember when my uncle bought a 1992 850 2.5glt that had an undershield on cos he ripped it off.Having one would keep it clean for much longer,only has to go as far as to the sump I think.Have u got all the parts sourced now for the engine?

WOODY T5
Saturday 27th April 2013, 20:51
looking good as always andy keep up the good work

Nealevo
Saturday 27th April 2013, 21:27

I had an RS6, the running costs are horrendous, single figure MPG and expense after expense... Still the greatest car I've ever had.

Andy, your car is going to be epic, always thought it was one of the best

AndysR
Sunday 28th April 2013, 22:06
Looks tons better, and im not one bit jellous lol, engine bays are never easy to clean, especially around the rack area on 850s

Lol, I am not sure why? You've done the same to yours and the body on yours is really good ;)

Looks good..

Cheers :)

Very nice engine bay, time well spent.

Thanks, I consider that quite some compliment coming from someone who has such high standards himself ;)

If i ever see an 854R in your colour and that looks in as good condition, i think i will just HAVE to buy it.

ill maybe beat you to it..

Thanks for the nice compliments guys.

Unfortunately you three will have your work cut out for you!
Allegedly there were 13 854R's registered in the UK in 427 dark grey pearl metallic 6 manuals and 7 autos, that I know of 2 of the auto's have been broken and scrapped that leaves 11 and then 1 is mine leaving 10... There was a manual for sale on e-Bay recently though ;) Oh and before you say it the 850R was the only model available in 427 so you can't just go and buy a grey T5 and cheat.. lol

Perhaps I shall auction mine when I come round to selling, lol ;)

Andy it's always a pleasure reading your thread, the amount of care and hardwork you put into your car is breathtaking, I was looking at the drivers seat in my R today and think "Nope, it's not good enough, Andy wouldn't be happy with that".lol.

Lol, it's an expensive way to maintain a car but it's my hobby and I enjoy it, and I am pleased it gives you inspiration ;)

Liam,u right,if u find 1 in the same condition u must buy it but yr chances are limited tho `cos in a year and half watching volvos for sale I haven`t seen one near as good in the same colour especially.That is very clean Andy.I remember when my uncle bought a 1992 850 2.5glt that had an undershield on cos he ripped it off.Having one would keep it clean for much longer,only has to go as far as to the sump I think.Have u got all the parts sourced now for the engine?

Thanks Kingsford. Most parts sourced currently waiting to hear back from CP and Mahle on the piston front and that shoudl conclude the major parts sourcing.

looking good as always andy keep up the good work

Thanks Woody, I've always looked to yours as an inspiration :)

I had an RS6, the running costs are horrendous, single figure MPG and expense after expense... Still the greatest car I've ever had.

Andy, your car is going to be epic, always thought it was one of the best

Thank you for your kind words, I hope it can live up to your expectations.

LiamT4
Sunday 28th April 2013, 22:09
So.........4 auto 854R's in your colour, i may be waiting a while then!

Maybe have to get an 855 then...

AndysR
Sunday 28th April 2013, 22:14
So.........4 auto 854R's in your colour, i may be waiting a while then!

Maybe have to get an 855 then...

If you include mine yes otherwise it's 3 as one of the remaining 4 has been converted to manual and is now running the AWD system from a V70R AWD phase 1 ;)

If you fancy a modified one I'll probably let mine go for the right price in about 1-2 years time ;) lol

LiamT4
Sunday 28th April 2013, 22:59
If you include mine yes otherwise it's 3 as one of the remaining 4 has been converted to manual and is now running the AWD system from a V70R AWD phase 1 ;)

If you fancy a modified one I'll probably let mine go for the right price in about 1-2 years time ;) lol

If it was mine i doubt i'd ever part with it.

AndysR
Monday 29th April 2013, 22:33
If it was mine i doubt i'd ever part with it.

Lol, well it's been a great but trying 5.5 years so far.. but your probably right hopefully it wil be a while yet before it goes to a new home, got to get my money's worth out of it :)

iancho
Tuesday 30th April 2013, 07:17
Great thread Andy always interesting and detailed work going on :)

AndysR
Sunday 5th May 2013, 22:34
Small update, the block had to be bored to 82mm as suspected and I've opted for CP pistons. They're coming from America so will probably delay things a little but I'd rather it was right after going to all this trouble...

Head wise, all checked out fine, holding pressure nicely and valve guides like new. So a quick freshen up, valves reground, new stem seals and a very minor light skim to the head fac, a good clean up and it's back.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/untitled4-2.png (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/untitled4-2.png.html)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/untitled2-2.png (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/untitled2-2.png.html)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/untitled3-2.png (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/untitled3-2.png.html)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/untitled1-1.png (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/untitled1-1.png.html)

Just waiting on the pistons now so the block can come back and then it's engine back in the car :)

merc85
Sunday 5th May 2013, 22:51
awesome mate, awesome

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 5th May 2013, 22:53
are you using oversized pistons?

t5 pete
Sunday 5th May 2013, 23:13
Very nice work andy

smithy
Sunday 5th May 2013, 23:22
Have you got rods too

Kingsford G
Sunday 5th May 2013, 23:32
That head is like brand new.Hope the pistons arrive soon for u mate.

AndysR
Monday 6th May 2013, 14:03
awesome mate, awesome

are you using oversized pistons?

Yes the pistons will be oversized to suit the new bore size as the original Volvo pistons are now useless since the rebore, I'd have gone for Volvo oversized but they don't go up enough and despite the cost the CP's are very well known for the quality and finish of their pistons

Very nice work andy

Cheers, I can't wait to see what the now very clean head looks like with the black inlet manifold and carbon look spark plug cover bolted to it. IO'm hoping it's going to look quite smart :)

Have you got rods too

But of course, the rods were the reason the engine had to come apart in the first place. I wasn't prepared to have it come apart again for something silly like not fitting uprated rods the 1st time round :)

That head is like brand new.Hope the pistons arrive soon for u mate.

I must confess I was quite impressed with the work that has gone into it to get it looking like that. I am not bothered about the time it takes now I just want it done properly. It's been off the road over a year now so an extra month or so isn't going to matter and hopefully it will be well worth the wait when it's done :)

LiamT4
Monday 6th May 2013, 14:06
If you do ever, for some crazy reason, decide to sell, then i'd be very interested.

AndysR
Monday 6th May 2013, 14:08
If you do ever, for some crazy reason, decide to sell, then i'd be very interested.

lol, ok you've got 1st refusal ;)

Kingsford G
Monday 6th May 2013, 18:01
Do it once do it great mate.That will surely be the best 850R in the UK when finished and I`d like to c any other competitor.

AndysR
Monday 6th May 2013, 20:52
Do it once do it great mate.That will surely be the best 850R in the UK when finished and I`d like to c any other competitor.

I am sure there are a few out there that can better mine, I am pleased you think so highly of it however. My aim as with my previous car and probably future cars to come is that it's a presentable car that also goes well ;)

Kingsford G
Monday 6th May 2013, 21:04
I am sure there are a few out there that can better mine, I am pleased you think so highly of it however. My aim as with my previous car and probably future cars to come is that it's a presentable car that also goes well ;)

Nice of you being coy but I don`t say it unless I think so and deffo would like to c the one that betters your.Oh,sorry,almost forgot,frankie is out of question,otherwise yours is the 2nd best Andy :hidesbehi

Wobbly Dave
Monday 6th May 2013, 23:09

Yes the pistons will be oversized to suit the new bore size as the original Volvo pistons are now useless since the rebore, I'd have gone for Volvo oversized but they don't go up enough and despite the cost the CP's are very well known for the quality and finish of their pistons

Cheers, I can't wait to see what the now very clean head looks like with the black inlet manifold and carbon look spark plug cover bolted to it. IO'm hoping it's going to look quite smart :)

But of course, the rods were the reason the engine had to come apart in the first place. I wasn't prepared to have it come apart again for something silly like not fitting uprated rods the 1st time round :)

I must confess I was quite impressed with the work that has gone into it to get it looking like that. I am not bothered about the time it takes now I just want it done properly. It's been off the road over a year now so an extra month or so isn't going to matter and hopefully it will be well worth the wait when it's done :)

I used 81.5mm Wiseco forged pistons & had my block bored out to match.

Pliskin
Tuesday 7th May 2013, 00:48
lol, ok you've got 1st refusal ;)

I beg your pardon, I have been verbally bending your arm for the V5 for this car for a number of years now, if you offer this car to anyone else before moi I will have to lodge a formal complaint and then begin eliminating the competition.............

AndysR
Tuesday 7th May 2013, 21:57
I used 81.5mm Wiseco forged pistons & had my block bored out to match.

Yes I did see Wiseco listed as a supplier but I had a bad experience with an Evo and some Wiseco's years ago, it was some years ago and I am sure things have changed since then however all I have heard is good reviews about the CP's so thought I'd take the dive with them... fingers crossed.. lol

I beg your pardon, I have been verbally bending your arm for the V5 for this car for a number of years now, if you offer this car to anyone else before moi I will have to lodge a formal complaint and then begin eliminating the competition.............

Oh really... Is there anyone else that's been asking as I have a crap memory might have to make a list.. lol

AndysR
Saturday 18th May 2013, 17:51
Nothing much to report on the engine frnt as still waiting for parts but the new screen is now in :)

Genuine Volvo of course ;)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/screen2.png (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/screen2.png.html)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/screen3.png (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/screen3.png.html)

t5 pete
Saturday 18th May 2013, 18:01
Its always nice to have a new screen andy i bet you cannot wait to get it finished ive just nearly hit 1k in myne but still waiting on the store awaiting my boost gauge i have givin it a little touch which is nice but ive put a brand new acuator on and think it needs setting up and it seems to be opening too soon so loosing boost then building again but pretty stuck with out a propper boost gauge

V70 Graham
Saturday 18th May 2013, 21:25
Nice.....I need a new screen at some point, loads of tiny scratches on mine.

LiamT4
Saturday 18th May 2013, 21:28

They seem good for about a week.....then you get used it.........and within a few months it just seems like the old one again. Well thats how it seemed for me. Got a new windscreen last autumn and you wouldn't be able to tell now.

AndysR
Friday 24th May 2013, 21:09
Its always nice to have a new screen andy i bet you cannot wait to get it finished ive just nearly hit 1k in myne but still waiting on the store awaiting my boost gauge i have givin it a little touch which is nice but ive put a brand new acuator on and think it needs setting up and it seems to be opening too soon so loosing boost then building again but pretty stuck with out a propper boost gauge

Your not wrong, was really itching to get the car done and back but something else has potentially taken my attention so my mind isn't on Damien so much at the moment... ;)

Good to hear things are going well with yours now it's got some miles under it's belt I bet your really beginning to enjoy it :)

The annoying thing is mine had a new Volvo screen back in 2010 and it only took one stone and I was back to square one again! lol

They seem good for about a week.....then you get used it.........and within a few months it just seems like the old one again. Well thats how it seemed for me. Got a new windscreen last autumn and you wouldn't be able to tell now.

You say that but the old screen looked like new still but I was forever polishing the glass and replacing wipers because I can't stand a cloudy smeary screen.. so maybe thats the key..

That or the fact I do about 4,500 miles in the car a year! Probably the later...lol

LiamT4
Saturday 25th May 2013, 14:25
YouYou say that but the old screen looked like new still but I was forever polishing the glass and replacing wipers because I can't stand a cloudy smeary screen.. so maybe thats the key..

That or the fact I do about 4,500 miles in the car a year! Probably the later...lol

The low miles would help, also driving the car in winter probably does most of the damage, all that crap on the roads.

AndysR
Friday 21st June 2013, 22:06
Quick update, alas no pictures at this stage...

I've bought a few little "extras" and at long last the pistons have just arrived today from the other side of the pond.. Just about to leave for the Nürburgring so thought I'd leave you in the suspense of the pictures until I return... ;)

merc85
Friday 21st June 2013, 22:38
Quick update, alas no pictures at this stage...

I've bought a few little "extras" and at long last the pistons have just arrived today from the other side of the pond.. Just about to leave for the Nürburgring so thought I'd leave you in the suspense of the pictures until I return... ;)

Have a dam good time buddy, ;-)

Biff
Friday 21st June 2013, 23:29
Lucky bugga. Enjoy mate.

AndysR
Sunday 21st July 2013, 22:31
So hours before I set off to Germany I got a message to say that the pistons had arrived at the machine shop. So I am now back and have loads of pictures to show you all

While I was away work started on the block to bore it to the correct measurements for the new pistons obviously making the bores perfectly straight as they would have been when new.

The new pistons as they arrived, seems a shame to lock them inside the engine they look that bling!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/F3EE33F3-0206-49BC-9B6D-681D72F99C56-6505-000006A376D39D88.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/F3EE33F3-0206-49BC-9B6D-681D72F99C56-6505-000006A376D39D88.jpg.html)

With their new rods..

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/7AE34019-7D7E-4080-9D82-69C051246F16-6821-000006D758F7C2C5.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/7AE34019-7D7E-4080-9D82-69C051246F16-6821-000006D758F7C2C5.jpg.html)

Picture of the test bore to make sure the block was ok to go again

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/9A2EE3BF-4767-4F8C-836E-7D4DA5A188EB-6505-000006A4D2A8F1A1.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/9A2EE3BF-4767-4F8C-836E-7D4DA5A188EB-6505-000006A4D2A8F1A1.jpg.html)

Then the final bore

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/807CE53D-D97B-48CB-A3C5-9AF1B334E372-6505-000006A54E6E1CFE.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/807CE53D-D97B-48CB-A3C5-9AF1B334E372-6505-000006A54E6E1CFE.jpg.html)

Machining the cut outs in the lower part of the bore to ensure no contact with the new wider H beam rods.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/873F6E0B-43E2-471C-8E49-2966B3223EC9-6505-000006A5A6CD52E7.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/873F6E0B-43E2-471C-8E49-2966B3223EC9-6505-000006A5A6CD52E7.jpg.html)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/2057C8E3-8759-4F8D-B899-E1DFDFFBC5D2-6505-000006A5BD0E7EDA.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/2057C8E3-8759-4F8D-B899-E1DFDFFBC5D2-6505-000006A5BD0E7EDA.jpg.html)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/68E7C534-EC45-40E9-B3DB-BBBCD80E7F5C-6505-000006A5CD10DFB1.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/68E7C534-EC45-40E9-B3DB-BBBCD80E7F5C-6505-000006A5CD10DFB1.jpg.html)

Measuring and adjusting the rings to the correct size for their new homes.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/815A3758-92D3-48EB-A9FE-1B13F83B6F50-6505-000006A409104F02.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/815A3758-92D3-48EB-A9FE-1B13F83B6F50-6505-000006A409104F02.jpg.html)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/1D380293-2E6C-4CEA-819A-C8E9CBE6185B-6505-000006A471F78480.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/1D380293-2E6C-4CEA-819A-C8E9CBE6185B-6505-000006A471F78480.jpg.html)

And then fitting the rings to the pistons ready to go in the block

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/C309C77C-AF21-4971-A744-253C4FC91CFE-6505-000006A52B359D75.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/C309C77C-AF21-4971-A744-253C4FC91CFE-6505-000006A52B359D75.jpg.html)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/1261F562-EC94-490C-8C8D-FAEAA82EC931-6505-000006A538766292.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/1261F562-EC94-490C-8C8D-FAEAA82EC931-6505-000006A538766292.jpg.html)

Piston rings on and rod fitted all ready to go into the block

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/2B1840B2-61AF-42AC-A24E-3C1D769FE2B0-6505-000006A56C171FEC.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/2B1840B2-61AF-42AC-A24E-3C1D769FE2B0-6505-000006A56C171FEC.jpg.html)

Block decking and fitting the pistons.

Part way through decking

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/DC3AE444-61FC-43C7-B6ED-BAE3680B137B-6505-000006A5F763912C.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/DC3AE444-61FC-43C7-B6ED-BAE3680B137B-6505-000006A5F763912C.jpg.html)

Piston going in

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/D1B0D0AD-3666-48A9-889E-04DBF6FB8327-6505-000006A57F3A61C1.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/D1B0D0AD-3666-48A9-889E-04DBF6FB8327-6505-000006A57F3A61C1.jpg.html)

AndysR
Sunday 21st July 2013, 22:34
Pistons installed

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/D3CEDEB5-D8CF-4B66-8675-996296F01F4F-6505-000006A59794A0E6.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/D3CEDEB5-D8CF-4B66-8675-996296F01F4F-6505-000006A59794A0E6.jpg.html)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/D94FA2C3-CD58-48BC-8212-0E731C9C22D8-6505-000006A6219261A2.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/D94FA2C3-CD58-48BC-8212-0E731C9C22D8-6505-000006A6219261A2.jpg.html)

Block now back from the machine shop and fitting of the bearings and crank

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/B2EDCCDF-2A2E-4770-98DC-21039C5BB29D-6505-000006A6B2AA91D9.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/B2EDCCDF-2A2E-4770-98DC-21039C5BB29D-6505-000006A6B2AA91D9.jpg.html)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/EF5EB364-F668-4B90-94D9-C1590F6C543D-6505-000006A717D5421B.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/EF5EB364-F668-4B90-94D9-C1590F6C543D-6505-000006A717D5421B.jpg.html)

Headgasket and head

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/9BAF54DD-F3B8-4481-BBE6-1DBEC6041C29-6505-000006A630A20F18.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/9BAF54DD-F3B8-4481-BBE6-1DBEC6041C29-6505-000006A630A20F18.jpg.html)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/516EB44B-0E5A-437A-A5FD-622AC8C99B3C-6505-000006A68D9BE66E.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/516EB44B-0E5A-437A-A5FD-622AC8C99B3C-6505-000006A68D9BE66E.jpg.html)

Along with a new water pump of course..

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/B2DB6731-3FDC-4C0A-8231-08FC68D4FA58-6505-000006A729D825EB.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/B2DB6731-3FDC-4C0A-8231-08FC68D4FA58-6505-000006A729D825EB.jpg.html)

Cams in

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/photo1-4.png (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/photo1-4.png.html)

My small 15G turbo ;) now back on...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/photo2-2.png (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/photo2-2.png.html)

So that’s the status with the engine so far….

I’ve also decide to complement the build with this..

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/photo1-3.png (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/photo1-3.png.html)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/photo2-1.png (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/photo2-1.png.html)

Well if nothing else it will not be blowing end tanks off the intercooler anymore and if it does I’d be seriously worried… lol

More updates as they come... Shouldn' be long now.. Can't wait :)

Nealevo
Sunday 21st July 2013, 22:40
Looking good Andy, I bet you can't wait for it to be ready, 15G ??? Are you not upgrading ???

How was the ring visit?

theflyingbrick
Sunday 21st July 2013, 22:42
oh man that looks good :D I bet your over the moon with the progress,look forward to more pics ;)

merc85
Sunday 21st July 2013, 22:48
Looking good Andy, I bet you can't wait for it to be ready, 15G ??? Are you not upgrading ???

How was the ring visit?

lol yep its only a 15g, ;) looking flamin awesome andy

WOODY T5
Sunday 21st July 2013, 22:59
lovely jubbly andy very nice

AndysR
Sunday 21st July 2013, 23:00

How was the ring visit?

Thanks Neal, Ring trip was phenominal as before, will definately be going back next year and hopefully in the 850 too :)

Yep, sticking with the 15G as the car is still auto I don't think there is any need to upgrade it from the current spec turbo

oh man that looks good :D I bet your over the moon with the progress,look forward to more pics ;)

Ta, yep I was impressed with the quality of the machine work but then these are the guys who did the machine work for the Peril and Rod's rapid Cossie so I half expected good results :)

lol yep its only a 15g, ;) looking flamin awesome andy

Yep just my lowly old 15g..... with a few tweaks ;)

AndysR
Sunday 21st July 2013, 23:02
lovely jubbly andy very nice

Thanks Dean :)

graemewelch
Sunday 21st July 2013, 23:09
just read this from start to finsih. was a nice motor to start with but going to be mint when finished

t5 pete
Sunday 21st July 2013, 23:16
Very nice andy really nice work man ship did the rods come with the recommendation to cut back the bores for clearence I also worried about that with myne but upon fitment there was engough room so all fine.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 22nd July 2013, 01:02
Looks lovely Andy. Hope it runs well & holds together at least better than mine. Have you checked your oil pump?

Kingsford G
Monday 22nd July 2013, 01:06
Awesome work there mate,looking great that engine does.Hope to c here running soon:biggrin:

iancho
Monday 22nd July 2013, 07:51
Looking better on every new Post, Nice work yet again Andy :smile:

AndysR
Monday 22nd July 2013, 23:28
just read this from start to finsih. was a nice motor to start with but going to be mint when finished

Thanks Graeme :)

Very nice andy really nice work man ship did the rods come with the recommendation to cut back the bores for clearence I also worried about that with myne but upon fitment there was engough room so all fine.

I'm not sure about the cutouts tbh, it maybe a requirement recommended by, the rod manufacturers or CP's or possibly just a precaution of the machine company.

Looks lovely Andy. Hope it runs well & holds together at least better than mine. Have you checked your oil pump?

Thanks Dave, I was aware of the oil pump issues before reading about your unfortunate failure. I have a brand new Volvo pump to go on and also still have the original which was, as far as I know, fine. Obviously the old pump can be checked but I've asked Russ to investigate any possible issue with Volvo UK and let me know. I had similar issues to yours with an engine build on my previous car which resulted in a new engine and then turbo failure shortly after due to failure caused by contamination, I will NOT be going down that route with this car, Russ mirrors my thoughts on this also which helps to know he will pursue Volvo on my behalf for a definitive answer.

Awesome work there mate,looking great that engine does.Hope to c here running soon:biggrin:

Thanks KG, when the time comes you may need to leave Colchester to hear it and see it though.. Lol

Looking better on every new Post, Nice work yet again Andy :smile:

Thanks, I'm very pleased with the way it looks :)

GregE102
Wednesday 24th July 2013, 09:20
Just caught up with your thread Andy after a long time, Good to see it's coming on nicely!
When it's back on the road we will have to hook up for a photo shoot!
Cheers Greg

AndysR
Wednesday 24th July 2013, 21:44
Just caught up with your thread Andy after a long time, Good to see it's coming on nicely!
When it's back on the road we will have to hook up for a photo shoot!
Cheers Greg

Indeed, sounds like a plan :)

bonelorry
Thursday 25th July 2013, 20:50
As said before Andy, An awesome car and IMO has to be one of the finest 850's in the country.

Your 15G is the Turbo Technics jobbie isnt it? Garrett GT28 internals etc?

Cheers Simon

leet5r
Thursday 25th July 2013, 21:42
good work on the engine bud , always had a soft spot for this car

merc85
Thursday 25th July 2013, 22:21

its even better in real life. this car is totally outstanding

volvokid
Thursday 25th July 2013, 22:33
I havnt even commented on this thread yet. You know my opinion :)

AndysR
Friday 26th July 2013, 22:47
As said before Andy, An awesome car and IMO has to be one of the finest 850's in the country.

Your 15G is the Turbo Technics jobbie isnt it? Garrett GT28 internals etc?

Cheers Simon

That's a bold statement Simon, there's far better examples out there I am sure ;)

Yes it is a hybrid turbo part Garrett part Mitsubishi, mainly Mitsubishi tbh. Not quite the GT28 more T28 well at least that's always been my understanding of it. Did make quite a pleasant improvement in torque output without affecting low down boost like a larger turbo would..and flutters exactly like a saff cossie :)

Thanks Lee, how's things with you, still got the red 855R and the Cossie?

its even better in real life. this car is totally outstanding

So many people will be so disappointed when they see it in the metal after that... Lol

I havnt even commented on this thread yet. You know my opinion :)

Thanks, with cars like yours that's a complement of the highest order, I do believe the pictures do it a little too much justice though... Lol

T5frankie
Friday 26th July 2013, 22:59
too much sucking up on this forum, its a "nice car" Andy lol, if it was mine it would be getting slated

AndysR
Friday 9th August 2013, 20:50
So update time .... :)
Some more news back from the RT and crew and some pictures. I will however keep this brief as I'm updating this from my phone as I currently have no Internet here at home, BT line fault....

Firstly a subtle alteration to the front end...

From this

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/B4BAD91D-A643-4691-B977-CB2F5326DF73-4310-0000057DC26D76AB.jpg

To this, still some tiding to do but I'm happy with it so far..

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/578D0A43-6810-4B4F-9572-B1CEAD11A83B-943-00000121FC84A122.jpg

Which will help with this (the old one looked tired and dirty.. Lol)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/5580427A-083C-4634-9690-01938861CDB2-294-00000015BD464ECA.jpg

..and of course this

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/photo2-1.png

Anyway engine all now gone together and ancillaries in place.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/64CDC75B-F339-4F6A-BC42-4B649EBCF6F0-294-00000015B819DB20.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/DB907BD8-4357-4730-9F12-89117509BC51-294-000000159E499428.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/0B16CEE6-1C79-4D41-8273-798D817524A3-595-000000C90568987C.jpg

Autobox clean up and replacement of exterior oil seals

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/64C84E65-4846-4774-B367-2078ECE07F80-294-00000015A41F73F0.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/EC0470E6-5C04-463B-B3CC-AA943BAEE88F-294-00000015B35112DA.jpg

Torque converter in

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/CFBD86A5-8F7D-4CD5-A43B-29D037905DF2-294-000000158FE8A678.jpg

AndysR
Friday 9th August 2013, 20:52
On the subframe complete with gearbox

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/97FDA7B4-FDE8-466C-AFFD-5DB3902D84D0-294-00000015D59C6189.jpg

Damien awaiting his engine

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/E03D8D07-F96B-49F5-B3BA-4B1EE832A28A-867-0000010C4EC4A9AA.jpg

Nearly there...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/FBA4EA29-F96F-4C2F-8E76-468EDDB15068-867-0000010C535C7090.jpg

And.....

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/906177A3-F429-4162-A48F-F7F281C9A2D0-932-0000011F7F43CEDB.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/73660393-33AF-47D0-8614-19B3CDDF48F1-932-0000011F889E66B9.jpg

Ta da!!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/A58515C7-8726-4FCB-8C8B-8345B1615FD0-932-0000011F985B5047.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/13367392-2A65-40CC-8547-BF8266AB682A-932-0000011F78171264.jpg

It's in, lots of little bits to refit like the rads and autobox cooler, also got a new brake fluid reservoir to compliment the coolant header tank, but the bulk of it is fitted and I am very pleased so far with how it looks, seeing these pictures have really got the itch back to drive it... And to a larger extent clean it, I'm getting the itch to go the same route I did with my Orion and go for concourse, loads and loads and loads of work to do to get to that level, as its a long way off but that's potentially my next step with the car, if I can be bothered.. Lol

Anyway thanks for reading and comments welcome if you fancy :)

timbo
Friday 9th August 2013, 21:09
Ace!

iancho
Friday 9th August 2013, 21:11
Looks like an incredible motor from the pics Andy, I would really enjoy seeing it at a meet in the future.... Great work mate :)

merc85
Friday 9th August 2013, 21:14
Totally OUTSTANDING!

LiamT4
Friday 9th August 2013, 21:17
Not far off now......still one of my top 5 cars on the forum.

Love where the PH's sticker is btw.

Biff
Friday 9th August 2013, 22:12
Hard on! Looks spot on mate, but I wouldn't be going concourse.. A car like that deserves to be used appropriately!

bonelorry
Friday 9th August 2013, 22:46
Hard on! Looks spot on mate, but I wouldn't be going concourse.. A car like that deserves to be used appropriately!

Have to say I agree about the concourse, I have a few friends that have concourse cars and both own the top 2 VW Coraddo VR6's in the country.....First time out in the rain and all your hard work is ruined. That is unless its trailered to events/shows but then what's the point.

Totally agree on about been OTT with cleaning/detailing and I do enough of that on my own car but its there to be driven and I use mine daily so you can only go so far.

Depends what YOU want to do with the car at the end of the day and how deep your pockets are ultimately!

Awesome car :)

AndysR
Saturday 10th August 2013, 20:04
Looks like an incredible motor from the pics Andy, I would really enjoy seeing it at a meet in the future.... Great work mate :)

Thanks Ian, don't worry next year I intend to do a few of the meets, including the Brooklands meet and a Softies meet :)

Totally OUTSTANDING!

Thanks Gav :)

Not far off now......still one of my top 5 cars on the forum.

Love where the PH's sticker is btw.

Thanks Liam, Indeed not far off now, pistonshead sticker has been there a few years but its quite a difficult spot through the grille so I'm looking at ways to change that :)

Lol, don't worry I'm not one for trailer queen vehicles and if I did go OCD with it I would still drive it ;)

Have to say I agree about the concourse, I have a few friends that have concourse cars and both own the top 2 VW Coraddo VR6's in the country.....First time out in the rain and all your hard work is ruined. That is unless its trailered to events/shows but then what's the point.

Totally agree on about been OTT with cleaning/detailing and I do enough of that on my own car but its there to be driven and I use mine daily so you can only go so far.

Depends what YOU want to do with the car at the end of the day and how deep your pockets are ultimately!

Awesome car :)

Thanks Simon, I've been watching the progress with yours and that's one hell of a motor you've got :)

merc85
Saturday 10th August 2013, 20:06
Concours do have different levels, My Mercedes was in Street Concours as it was used regually but as mention a total pain in the back side, as id have to take the wheels off after using it to clean the brake dust off the coil springs, (and no i am serious) lol

Jamest5r
Saturday 10th August 2013, 20:23
Quality Andy :) very nice.

AndysR
Wednesday 14th August 2013, 23:47
Small update…

So last time I posted an update the engine had literally just been bolted in. A little more progress with the build in that the intercooler, radiator and a/c condenser are all now fitted, then the next port of call is to get new X70 autobox cooler fitted in place tomorrow. Then at a guess I would imagine it won’t leave much else left to do for the initial fire up. Then it will be a case of getting the car MoT’d, run in, mapped and then I will collect it, clean it to death and finally enjoy it…

Anyway some shots of the progress with the fitting of the rads..

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/0cb6d1c7ed6c2356599dadd753ec8c64.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/0cb6d1c7ed6c2356599dadd753ec8c64.jpg.html)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/d3c5e01ef8f28b13695ff15bd8b92bce.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/d3c5e01ef8f28b13695ff15bd8b92bce.jpg.html)

In place and free of restriction now the horns aren’t in the way and the centre support has been hollowed out, not sure how much you will or won’t see through the grille yet, will be interesting to find out.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/e1d17195a4fcb736c36c8925347012de.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/e1d17195a4fcb736c36c8925347012de.jpg.html)

The horns in their new home

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/9ae7cf2f30b3e10825ab4c73f9752321.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/9ae7cf2f30b3e10825ab4c73f9752321.jpg.html)

Now looking 90% there

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/0a9abd86fe64362124253e45b84ee9db.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/0a9abd86fe64362124253e45b84ee9db.jpg.html)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/8e07c475c0b43c0b1be7bc0fd400a4ad.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/8e07c475c0b43c0b1be7bc0fd400a4ad.jpg.html)

And finally since the car first arrived at RT’s I impressed on Russ that I wanted plenty of pictures of the build and he’s just inundated me with a large number of photos that have been taken, honestly there’s loads! I’ve browsed through them and wanted to include some close up shots in the thread of a few bits that I think show the level of attention that Russ and his team has applied to the car. I realise why I waited and carefully considered my options to have the existing engine rebuilt into what it has become rather than just thrown any old second hand lump at or indeed venture into the realms of rebuilding it myself.

Freshly re-wrapped downpipe

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/01b215397fbd3ea7b1de87446047669f.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/01b215397fbd3ea7b1de87446047669f.jpg.html)

New header tank and overflow pipe

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/4e4a03112eb4f709de48376f7dade4dc.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/4e4a03112eb4f709de48376f7dade4dc.jpg.html)

Coolant pipe from water pump, not just cleaned but polished.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/ce24161306dff65bf4ff75d2280dcb95.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/ce24161306dff65bf4ff75d2280dcb95.jpg.html)

On advice from Volvo UK’s technical department I opted to fit a brand new oil pump, instead of the original which when stripped actually revealed a hairline crack in the case….

Which can be seen below
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/E6F140A9-086A-4F7B-A9D5-E16771F9E1A5-2209-0000026B69358AEC.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/E6F140A9-086A-4F7B-A9D5-E16771F9E1A5-2209-0000026B69358AEC.jpg.html)

New pump

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/4bcbc66c97d3a46e5f4c141d03c04fb0.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/4bcbc66c97d3a46e5f4c141d03c04fb0.jpg.html)

M-R-P
Wednesday 14th August 2013, 23:51
OOOh!

you've really gone all-out Andy, that's some work and I dread to think of the cost :yikes: It's gonna be front-page stuff for sure.

AndysR
Wednesday 14th August 2013, 23:52
Inlet manifold all in place

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/1e18cd00d8303dae07cc9f08195b3f05.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/1e18cd00d8303dae07cc9f08195b3f05.jpg.html)

Why opt for that inlet manifold and throttle body..?

Well it’s wider and less restrictive.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/76a510c9f66edc25919166faf20820e1.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/76a510c9f66edc25919166faf20820e1.jpg.html)

So is the throttle body…

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/ce5e9334cae3fc599ed36e8a2cd27c79.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/ce5e9334cae3fc599ed36e8a2cd27c79.jpg.html)

Modified throttle body linkage

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/a0a6e9b3f7055b959a063589df4e2cd0.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/a0a6e9b3f7055b959a063589df4e2cd0.jpg.html)

To say it's taken a while to get my butt into gear and get this sorted is an understatement but my interest level in the car has increased 10 fold since the engine parts have been back from the machine shop, genuinely grateful to Russ and his team for the effort that's gone into this and indeed the fuss and general hounding I've been giving them over it whilst it's been with them while I constantly move the goal posts.... Cheers guys, can't wait to get it back :)

AndysR
Wednesday 14th August 2013, 23:57
OOOh!

you've really gone all-out Andy, that's some work and I dread to think of the cost :yikes: It's gonna be front-page stuff for sure.

Yes, unfortunately I do suffer with OCD when it comes to cars which does make things costly but I always feel it's worth it in the end, the fact that these are becoming a rarer site these days, I think, makes it more worth while doing it the way you want it to be...

M-R-P
Thursday 15th August 2013, 00:00
Yes, unfortunately I do suffer with OCD when it comes to cars which does make things costly but I always feel it's worth it in the end, the fact that these are becoming a rarer site these days, I think, makes it more worth while doing it the way you want it to be...
Ya don't say lol

Your idea of properly often leaves people shell-shocked mate so carry on and make us proud lol ;)

The Flying Moose
Thursday 15th August 2013, 17:30
Looks like its really coming along nicely Andy, puts a little smile on my face after knowing you had even considered selling or breaking it not long after the initial event.

I look forward to seeing the most immaculate 854R restored and back in its full glory, it'll no doubt do you proud once more.

graemewelch
Thursday 15th August 2013, 18:03
that exactly how i like to see a engine bay, looking standard but to the trained eye you know its not. im not a fan of the polished alloy look. keep the good work. hope to see this car in person one day

JUDGENINJA
Thursday 15th August 2013, 19:35
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/a0a6e9b3f7055b959a063589df4e2cd0.jpg

I'm going to ask a stupid question now. Why don't people unscrew the butterfly valve and flip the bar 180degrees to avoid the need to extend the arm? This is what I did to the 960 body on my 850. I even filed down the bar and bolts to enhance air flow..

merc85
Thursday 15th August 2013, 19:46
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/a0a6e9b3f7055b959a063589df4e2cd0.jpg

I'm going to ask a stupid question now. Why don't people unscrew the butterfly valve and flip the bar 180degrees to avoid the need to extend the arm? This is what I did to the 960 body on my 850. I even filed down the bar and bolts to enhance air flow..

or just buy the 850 2.5 20v throttle body?

JUDGENINJA
Thursday 15th August 2013, 19:48
I wondered if this body might fit on my T4... Maybe I need to riijg the guru that I call 'smithy!'

merc85
Thursday 15th August 2013, 19:52
not taking anything away from this work, the finish and detail that's gone into this build is a testament to Russ @ RT's and his team,

JUDGENINJA
Thursday 15th August 2013, 20:20
Me neither.. It was just a general question as I see this a lot when people to the upgrade and mention the wiring. I did mine without thinking about it and it worked fine.

Jamest5r
Thursday 15th August 2013, 20:22
Looking the nut's mate, just one thing...the new oil pump, are the 850 ones the same as the on the slightly later me7's that have been failing??

LiamT4
Thursday 15th August 2013, 20:36
This is why i haven't got a car yet.........just waiting for andy to finish this and then sell it to me lol

AndysR
Thursday 15th August 2013, 21:57
Ya don't say lol

Your idea of properly often leaves people shell-shocked mate so carry on and make us proud lol ;)

Lol, I'm not sure what to say to that.. Except thanks and there are cars on this forum which are equally as good as mine if not better and I take my hat of to those who are prepared to strip and rebuild their cars on their driveways because I'll admit it.. I'm far too lazy.. Lol

Looks like its really coming along nicely Andy, puts a little smile on my face after knowing you had even considered selling or breaking it not long after the initial event.

I look forward to seeing the most immaculate 854R restored and back in its full glory, it'll no doubt do you proud once more.

Thanks for the positives Emlyn, I'd question the later part.. Lol

that exactly how i like to see a engine bay, looking standard but to the trained eye you know its not. im not a fan of the polished alloy look. keep the good work. hope to see this car in person one day

I've always been more about subtlety than I have about shouting out... I like watching people when they realise the tweaked parts..

Not a stupid question at all and tbh I was a little vague in my previous descriptions, what that is is actually a 2.5 20v n/a throttle body with the butterfly removed and replaced with an early 960 solid butterfly, the turbo linkage doesn't directly fit the n/a throttle body so an adjustable one is made up to allow fitment of the n/a throttle body with ease and removing the need to modify the body or the car.

or just buy the 850 2.5 20v throttle body?

Technically I did, see my previous reply to judge ;)

I wondered if this body might fit on my T4... Maybe I need to riijg the guru that I call 'smithy!'

I'm pretty sure it would :)

Looking the nut's mate, just one thing...the new oil pump, are the 850 ones the same as the on the slightly later me7's that have been failing??

That I have no idea about, what I can say is this particular oil pump has been bench tested prior to fitment and the concern over faulty oil pumps was queried with Volvo's technical team who have confirmed all is fine. If it fails then it fails, it's got 1 years more warranty than the original one has and it's not cracked, so I bit the bullet and authorised its fitment.

This is why i haven't got a car yet.........just waiting for andy to finish this and then sell it to me lol

Lol, the way I'm feeling about the car at the moment you may have a bit of a wait on your hands :)

AndysR
Friday 30th August 2013, 22:45
Quick update,

Autobox cooler all in place and the lower grille, with some careful modification, is also now in place.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/875CF5EE-CD3A-45F2-B4A1-618D722A91ED-13578-00000EDB86228C4D_zpsb9aa506d.jpg

More importantly the car as of 12:00 this afternoon is now MoT'd, with flying colour's I might add, I managed 2,700 miles in 16 months, not bad considering it was off the road for 12 lol...

I've now got to wait until Sunday to tax it and then on receipt of the disc I'll post it to Russ, as it's now at the running in stage.

Word back from Russ is that it feels great and that throttle response is instant :)

Yep definitely looking forward to getting it back now, the running in stage can't pass quick enough so it can be mapped again and I can have it back :)

M-R-P
Saturday 31st August 2013, 06:17
Good news Andy :)

Why not pop down to the September Softies meet? good for a run-in and we get to stare at your car at the same time :D

bonelorry
Saturday 31st August 2013, 09:42
Looking forward to seeing the car finished Andy, I know we live at different ends of the country but I would love to see this car in the flesh one day!

Cheers

AndysR
Saturday 31st August 2013, 17:19
Good news Andy :)

Why not pop down to the September Softies meet? good for a run-in and we get to stare at your car at the same time :D

Thanks Martin, don't worry I plan on stranding at some point in the future ;)

Looking forward to seeing the car finished Andy, I know we live at different ends of the country but I would love to see this car in the flesh one day!

Cheers

Likewise, perhaps we should arrange to meet up at some point before you sell as I'd love to see you T-5R and I think it would make a great photo opportunity too!! :)

Kingsford G
Saturday 31st August 2013, 21:53
Glad to hear she`s running Andy,some great work done there(dreading to think about the costs tho).Hope to see u both soon.

AndysR
Saturday 31st August 2013, 23:18
Thanks Martin, don't worry I plan on stranding at some point in the future ;)

Likewise, perhaps we should arrange to meet up at some point before you sell as I'd love to see you T-5R and I think it would make a great photo opportunity too!! :)

What the hell went on there... stranding.. Obviously that should have been attending... Damn auto correct.. Lol

Glad to hear she`s running Andy,some great work done there(dreading to think about the costs tho).Hope to see u both soon.

Thanks KG, yes when I get it back I plan on getting some use out the car and making up for lost time :)

iancho
Sunday 1st September 2013, 04:51
Great news Andy and you still have some time before winter to enjoy it :)

AndysR
Sunday 1st September 2013, 18:46
Now no longer on a sorn notice!! :)

stribo
Sunday 1st September 2013, 19:07
Good news mate, hope to see it (and you) at a meet soon. :D

T5frankie
Sunday 1st September 2013, 19:10
just as you tax yours and had it repaired, ive sorned mine cos it needs the same repair :redface:

bonelorry
Monday 2nd September 2013, 18:59
Now no longer on a sorn notice!! :)

Yay! :)

AndysR
Wednesday 11th September 2013, 21:47
So tax arrived Friday and I sent it straight over to Russ, he's now received it so let the running in period commence :)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/0B3D44EE-63EF-40CB-9356-C52C7B84FAA9-2901-000003F755121DBF_zpsecde8e70.jpg

Can't wait to get it back and drive it, oh and detail it as well :)

M-R-P
Wednesday 11th September 2013, 21:58
Andy, please run that car to a softies meet !

AndysR
Wednesday 16th October 2013, 21:37
Very quick update

So on Monday this happened

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/41C5164C-D514-4039-887D-7BEE126D017D-4174-000005F09CFC9E40_zps832bc53f.jpg

(Car clocked the 500 miles running in period)

And then the following day this gentleman arrived (the legend that is Mark Shead)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/B47EBBED-3B61-4B8D-AB2A-F10ED52800F9-4174-000005F093E7BDE3_zps6e2c78c2.jpg

Which meant this was needed

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/0E06DEC1-6CBA-4DD8-943E-938E1B7F5C04-4174-000005F0B7D704C8_zpsa4e4e773.jpg

And various wires were installed

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/7DF6C897-5734-4CCE-9B19-8C3558AF572F-4174-000005F0C004EDF9_zps18aebe12.jpg

Considering that realistically the only differences to the engine were the intake, larger throttle body and intercooler it needed quite a bit of tweaking to the fuelling and the ignition, to prevent detonation which was found during initial testing it also was graced with a little more assistance from the turbo ;) and after some laptop issues and the passing of 6 hrs Damien behaved faultlessly and is now mapped :)
I understand that "I'll be impressed" :)

I'm away on a short break at the moment and then busy until around the end of the month so it's going to be a long few weeks yet before I see the car but there are a couple of other things I'd like done before I collect it and it gives Russ a chance to drive the car a little to make sure all stays well :)

Like I said a quick update but for the benefit of anyone who was wondering what's been happening there you have it, that's what's been happening... Lol :)

martybelfastt5
Wednesday 16th October 2013, 21:44
mmmmmm

Kingsford G
Wednesday 16th October 2013, 22:39
Great new Andy,I can`t yr believe patience to wait a few more weeks tho,I wouldn`t lol

M-R-P
Wednesday 16th October 2013, 23:32
Dammit Andy - you still not driven it?

I'd be going nuts, in fact, just reading this thread is making me anxious lol

AndysR
Thursday 17th October 2013, 08:59
Lol, don't be mistaken guys I'm very much looking forward to getting the car back and driving it again. However I've always maintained that there is no rush with the car and that everything must be right before I get it back hence why it's been done at a slow and steady pace. There are just a few things left on the list to address and then it will be done and I will have it back :)

iancho
Friday 18th October 2013, 07:40
Thanks for the update Andy, it's all looking good mate :)

Kingsford G
Friday 18th October 2013, 20:04
Lol, don't be mistaken guys I'm very much looking forward to getting the car back and driving it again. However I've always maintained that there is no rush with the car and that everything must be right before I get it back hence why it's been done at a slow and steady pace. There are just a few things left on the list to address and then it will be done and I will have it back :)

Good point mate,keep it mint.

AndysR
Friday 18th October 2013, 20:38
Thanks for the update Andy, it's all looking good mate :)

Thanks Ian :)

Good point mate,keep it mint.

Something like that, lol

merc85
Friday 18th October 2013, 20:52
Cant say anything that hasnt already been said, and for anyone who hasn't seen this car...... you really dont understand what the term MINT means lol ;)

Cant wait buddy to get Blacky and Yours together for those pic's ;) (just dont do to many close up's on mine)pmsl

T5frankie
Friday 18th October 2013, 20:55
so what is this andy?

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/0E06DEC1-6CBA-4DD8-943E-938E1B7F5C04-4174-000005F0B7D704C8_zpsa4e4e773.jpg

leet5r
Friday 18th October 2013, 22:09
at a guess , something special that picks up det,knock

t5 pete
Friday 18th October 2013, 22:16
15mm copper pipe quick weigh it in good prices at mo

martybelfastt5
Friday 18th October 2013, 22:22
outside tap??

Jamest5r
Saturday 19th October 2013, 00:53
I use copper pipe on my pcv, just i plumb it into a catch tank :)

AndysR
Saturday 19th October 2013, 12:13
so what is this andy?

That is a det pipe, 100 points to Lee. It was quite interesting to find that the car was getting det when using moderate throttle whilst the engine revs were lower down in the rev range. Shows you what a difference a more free flowing intake makes to the way the engine operates and to a certain degree highlights the importance of custom mapping when altering things on the car to improve on standard past the usual exhaust and air filter.

AndysR
Saturday 19th October 2013, 12:16
Cant say anything that hasnt already been said, and for anyone who hasn't seen this car...... you really dont understand what the term MINT means lol ;)

Cant wait buddy to get Blacky and Yours together for those pic's ;) (just dont do to many close up's on mine)pmsl

Thanks Gav, far more complimentary than necessary or than that fiver I promised you earlier will cover.. Lol

Definitely looking forward to some photoshoots once I've got it back and cleaned it so that it's up to your standard :)

AndysR
Saturday 16th November 2013, 22:52
Update time…

Been a while since I updated this so thought I had better get it done. So where are we? Well last weekend I went down to see Russ and his family whilst also tying in a quick test drive of the car to see how the new engine and map were doing :)
When I say quick it was supposed to be a 10 minute drive but we were out in the car for a good hour, more on that in a bit….

So 1 and ½ years after I last sat behind the wheel I was feeling equally excited and nervous about driving it again, not quite sure what the nerves was all about, I think it was a mixture of worry that I would not being impressed with the car anymore, I hadn’t missed it that much of late tbh, and perhaps there was an element present that I was scared of breaking it…again!! On the other side I was excited to see how the car went and how it performed and drove from cold, having the opportunity of driving it straight from the cold start.

So it’s 08:30 on a cold bright sunny Sunday, it’s been raining heavily for the last 2 days but this morning we’ve got blue skies and sunshine. James (my brother), Russ and I head out to the driveway where the car has been parked overnight. Very kindly Russ has offered to clean the car the day before and despite the collection of dirt from his drive home in the rain and the high levels of dew the car is still shining well. As soon as I set eyes on the car again I find an overwhelming level of excitement is suppressing the nervousness. I take the opportunity to have a look at the engine bay for the first time after the build and I’m impressed. The engine bay looks undisturbed despite the heavy surgery and the finish is excellent. I can see my carbon finished engine trims and cambelt cover in the flesh and they complement the freshly rebuilt engine well. My only disappointment is all the cleaning I did myself is now covered away and out of sight but at least I know it’s clean.. lol

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/bay.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/bay.jpg.html)

Anyway I jumped into the drivers’ seat and was greeted by this oddly fitting trip reading, also the amount of miles since the engine was rebuilt.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/mileage.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/mileage.jpg.html)

Simple things I guess? Turn the key and the engine cranks and fires into life without a hint of any change to how I remember it, except of course the ticking has gone! That’s where some similarities end, the first touch of the throttle and I notice an instant urgency about the car that was never there before. The change in the engine’s responsiveness from standstill at light throttle is unbelievable, we move away and drive up the road and two other differences are immediate. With the drivers window open I can hear very slight piston slap, the sort I have become accustom to on cars with race spec pistons, this noise goes as the engine warms from cold. More importantly the gearbox changes gear seamlessly, the Silkoline race spec ATF I’ve opted for has transformed the gearbox.
My current company car is fitted with VW’s latest silky smooth 7 speed DSG gearbox so you can imagine my surprise when I find my 110,000 mile 17 year old Volvo is on par, this was a very pleasant surprise indeed, the gearbox on the Volvo has always been what I considered to be nice and smooth I didn’t expect this sort of improvement. Once out on the open road I find the car to feel solid, stiff and sure footed even on wet roads from the night before, all traits of the car I’d forgotten or perhaps become comfortable with when I was driving it but subsequently forgot about when I wasn’t.

Still admiring how driveable, smooth but firm the car felt we’d now been out for 20 minutes and the car was safely up to operating temperatures so I started to pick up the pace. The mere prod of the pedal brought the boost in, still essentially being a 15G the car never really suffered from turbo lag but what lag was it’s now almost non existent. The boost comes in earlier, smoother, stronger and now I’m seeing the factory boost gauge going past the horizontal position it had previously rested at with the pre-build custom map, indeed now were pointing at the top of the temperature gauge symbol. It’s safe to say that performance is almost definitely effortless not requiring more than ¾’s throttle to make very decent headway. As pace gathers so does the speed it creates this pace with and by that I mean it seems to accelerate faster the faster you go, it feels like it won’t stop accelerating, something my brother also commented on. Yet despite the cars increased performance the engines’ sound output has quietened slightly, it’s almost as if its generating pace in its stride and sounds like its not even working. Of course you still have the 5 cylinder growl but it’s slightly dampened on how it once was a product perhaps of it’s new found love to rev and accelerate with less time spent labouring? I’m not sure but it’s certainly quieter than it was pre-rebuild/pre-bent rod. That aside WOW my god does it go! It’s been a week since I drove it but I’m still as excited, at the time I wanted to ring people who knew the car and tell them about it but I managed to resist! It’s taken me a week to condense this post down to a reasonable level.. lol

One thing however that did become apparent is that the brakes aren’t really up to the job anymore, I’ve always felt that the 302’s with the Ferrodo DS2500 pads were an ample setup for the car. Now the pace of the car has clearly increased the reassuring bit they once had has gone and I find that I’ve lost a little of the confidence I once had in them as a result. The rear brake discs and front brake discs are now showing signs of being warped and I feel it is the time to consider an upgrade.

There are several big brake upgrades but I’ve always been fond of the AP set up and I feel this is the set up I shall go for. Being specifically designed and made to go on the Volvo AP have taken into consideration master cylinder size and therefore no other upgrades are necessary and having driven a couple of 850’s with the AP upgrade thankfully the standard pedal feel remains but with added positive confidence inspiring results. In any case with Christmas on the way it will be something for the New Year now and something else to save for.

So after spending the best part of an hour on test drive it was a good time to swing into Chichester town centre for a Costa, I did manage to get a couple of shots of the car when we parked so here they are. It’s now grubby again and I’m very much looking forward to detailing it again and getting it back to looking pin sharp again ready to get covered in snow and salt.. lol

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/done.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/done.jpg.html)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/chichester.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/chichester.jpg.html)

There are now just 2 things to sort and I will be finally collecting the car, the first is to refit the splitter and the second is the final touch for the front of the car, and here’s a sneak peak….

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/grille.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/grille.jpg.html)

Yes, the egg crate grille. As you can see I’ve opted for the one with the chrome outer surround really only because I think it looks more like the factory egg crate grilles from the X70 series cars. I’m really fussy when it comes to aftermarket grilles on 850’s and I’ve always maintained original is best but equally I’ve always wondered what an egg crate would look like on the car. Tbh as it stands at the moment I am not a fan, in fact I hate it, and it may not stay but it’s also not finished yet. I’ve bought a brand new XC90 slash and Russ is hopefully going to be able to modify it so that it will fit flush to the grille. The reason for the later slash is that the chrome finish will be new and the later Volvo emblem will complement my wheel centres. Once this is fitted then I will assess the grille and if I like it then it will stay, thankfully the original is still safe and ready to be refitted should I hate it. Also since I’ve had the front splitter fitted whenever I’ve removed it I’ve always hated the look of the car so hopefully with the slash and the lower splitter refitted I’ll like the grille, who knows! Lol

Anyway, to summarise I’m again smitten with the way the car drives, it’s silky smooth but devilishly quick, indeed much quicker than before. Boasting more boost in 1st gear and high boost now present in 2nd gear, where as before it only came in from 3rd onwards. The way it picks up from standstill will also give an improved 60ft time so with that and the boost hike it will definitely give an improved ¼ time…. Maybe good for 14 flat or high 13’s however that will have to remain a theory for now, definitely not bad for a lame old auto ;)

merc85
Saturday 16th November 2013, 22:58
Hardly lame auto, quicker than before?? Jesus she must go like warp factor 10 lol awesome update buddy cant wait to hook up for some pics

V70 Graham
Saturday 16th November 2013, 23:07
Great update, glad you've fallen back 'in love' with the car and it's driving as well as it ever has.
ps keep me in mind if you really can't get on with the grille lol

T5frankie
Saturday 16th November 2013, 23:14
Looking good andy for a high miler :funkybana

M-R-P
Saturday 16th November 2013, 23:18
Nice update Andy. You must be like a pig in poo!

AndysR
Saturday 16th November 2013, 23:18
Looking good andy for a high miler :funkybana

Yeah yeah, it was lower than yours when I got it and it started when I bought it too ;)

Great update, glad you've fallen back 'in love' with the car and it's driving as well as it ever has.
ps keep me in mind if you really can't get on with the grille lol

Thanks Graham, I'll keep you in mind but the 850 grille doesn't fit the 70 series cars unless your not telling me something ;)

Hardly lame auto, quicker than before?? Jesus she must go like warp factor 10 lol awesome update buddy cant wait to hook up for some pics

She goes well, think you'll be impressed, might even let you drive it :)

V70 Graham
Saturday 16th November 2013, 23:19
Didn't think RT were doing this kind of work anymore, had this from them last week.....

Hello Graham

Thank you for your enquiry, unfortunately we are no longer carrying out tuning work so could not quote for......

Regards Andrew

AndysR
Saturday 16th November 2013, 23:19
Nice update Andy. You must be like a pig in poo!

Understatement of the century comes to mind Martin... lol

V70 Graham
Saturday 16th November 2013, 23:21
Thanks Graham, I'll keep you in mind but the 850 grille doesn't fit the 70 series cars unless your not telling me something ;)

D'oh.....I been up too long lol

AndysR
Saturday 16th November 2013, 23:22
Didn't think RT were doing this kind of work anymore, had this from them last week.....

Hello Graham

Thank you for your enquiry, unfortunately we are no longer carrying out tuning work so could not quote for......

Regards Andrew

You're quite correct, they will continue to cater for existing customers however they are not taking on any new customers who are interested in performance modifications. They don't really have the time to do it these days.

T5frankie
Saturday 16th November 2013, 23:30
Yeah yeah, it was lower than yours when I got it and it started when I bought it too ;)

She goes well, think you'll be impressed, might even let you drive it :)

mine started as soon as i got it mate, only winding you up, mine now has 97k and rising daily

merc85
Saturday 16th November 2013, 23:36
mine started as soon as i got it mate, only winding you up, mine now has 97k and rising daily

97k? the shell has, Andy is still running his original block lol

mind you i cant talk im runing a 140k shell with a 135k engine with speedo reading 155k lmfao not to mention the box which has done 120k take ur pic lol

T5frankie
Saturday 16th November 2013, 23:38
97k? the shell has, Andy is still running his original block lol

mind you i cant talk im runing a 140k shell with a 135k engine with speedo reading 155k lmfao not to mention the box which has done 120k take ur pic lol

that was my choice mate, and now i have a fresh engine

merc85
Saturday 16th November 2013, 23:39
that was my choice mate, and now i have a fresh engine

yeah mine were all my choice too lol

WOODY T5
Saturday 16th November 2013, 23:47
nice update andy looking as good as ever if not better ;)

theflyingbrick
Saturday 16th November 2013, 23:54
very nice update mate glad to hear the good news :)

Kingsford G
Sunday 17th November 2013, 00:02

Andy,watch out,he might turn up in his van lol
Nice to see her back mate.Are you driving her to the Ace caf?And as Gav said I`d think she goes like a jet plane as she was very fast before too for 225bhp auto:wink:

AndysR
Sunday 17th November 2013, 00:20

I know, I've known you long enough now ;)

nice update andy looking as good as ever if not better ;)

Thanks Dean :)

Nice to see her back mate.Are you driving her to the Ace caf?And as Gav said I`d think she goes like a jet plane as she was very fast before too for 225bhp auto:wink:

Won't be at the Ace in it, I'll be in the other Volvo :)

very nice update mate glad to hear the good news :)

Thanks, think we need to get the Essex meets kick started again ;)

T5frankie
Sunday 17th November 2013, 00:37
240bhp numpty :uglyhamme

Kingsford G
Sunday 17th November 2013, 00:41
240bhp numpty :uglyhamme

My mistake,cheers grandad

T5frankie
Sunday 17th November 2013, 00:44
My mistake,cheers grandad

yes i am and proud of it :haha:

munster732
Sunday 17th November 2013, 09:39
It's always nice to see that level of excitement from a grown man, been a long time coming and looks like it was sooo worth the wait.
Really can't wait to see this car in the flesh, might have to be a road trip for a Northerner tho!
Sets the bar for the rest of us, and makes my inferiority complex jump back to max lol

leet5r
Sunday 17th November 2013, 10:58
good update andy , I always look forward to the update as its a reay nice car.
some good detail in the update and reminded me of when I jumped back in a 5pot turbo after a yr and a half lol
you still using the tt hybrid t28thingy

smithy
Sunday 17th November 2013, 11:55
Very nice build thread and weldone to Russ at rt mechanics and you for all the hard work you have both put into this car.

LiamT4
Sunday 17th November 2013, 13:24
So I take it you won't be selling it now :(

T5frankie
Sunday 17th November 2013, 14:37

selling it? seems to me russ owns it now lol

Kingsford G
Sunday 17th November 2013, 15:05

How would u feel if that auto beats yr pinky grandadmobil?:haha:

T5frankie
Sunday 17th November 2013, 15:15
How would u feel if that auto beats yr pinky grandadmobil?:haha:

it wont cos he aint racing it next year lol

Kingsford G
Sunday 17th November 2013, 15:21
it wont cos he aint racing it next year lol

Nor would I if it was mine.

martybelfastt5
Sunday 17th November 2013, 15:52
exellent updates andy great to see damien out with new found love:bud:

T5frankie
Sunday 17th November 2013, 19:38
nor would i if it was mine.

you wouldnt anyway

iancho
Monday 18th November 2013, 08:49
I'm pleased to read you enjoyed yourself Andy, the car is looking incredible and a very well written write up! :)

AndysR
Saturday 23rd November 2013, 18:33
It's always nice to see that level of excitement from a grown man, been a long time coming and looks like it was sooo worth the wait.
Really can't wait to see this car in the flesh, might have to be a road trip for a Northerner tho!
Sets the bar for the rest of us, and makes my inferiority complex jump back to max lol

I don't know about setting the bar, the standard of the majority of cars on this forum is something not to be snubbed at but your right I am certainly excited... almost like a child at Xmas... lol

good update andy , I always look forward to the update as its a reay nice car.
some good detail in the update and reminded me of when I jumped back in a 5pot turbo after a yr and a half lol
you still using the tt hybrid t28thingy

Thanks Lee, yes still running with the T28/15G TT hybrid, I'm thinking of changing my avatar shot to a rather horizontal boost gauge shot... Similar to the style JC Viggen used to have lol

Very nice build thread and weldone to Russ at rt mechanics and you for all the hard work you have both put into this car.

Indeed credit where credit is due the standard of work by the team at RT's is high :)

Not this week anyway.. lol

Like hell! I may not have personally carried out much work on the car but I've worked frigging hard to earn the money to get it to that level and it is rightfully mine, no sponsorship deals or bank loans here thanks :)

exellent updates andy great to see damien out with new found love:bud:

Thanks Marty, been following your progress with the T-5R she's looking quite the stunner, bet you can't wait to start driving it again.

I'm pleased to read you enjoyed yourself Andy, the car is looking incredible and a very well written write up! :)

Thanks Ian, got a distinction in my Cambridge IT award for doing a mock motoring comparison review between the Sierra 2.8i Ghia X estate and the Volvo 765 GLE, natuarlly the Volvo won of course.
Think I may have missed my calling somehow... lol

AndysR
Saturday 7th December 2013, 21:39
So to bring this thread up to date the grille is now complete and the splitter is on the car, got this last picture through from Russ on Friday :)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/95A087CD-D7A0-4BF2-A9C4-B355D06E6299.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Andyrs/media/95A087CD-D7A0-4BF2-A9C4-B355D06E6299.jpg.html)

I've also made my decision about the brakes and that is I will be getting the AP's for the front and going with new Volvo rear discs and Ferrodo rear brake pads, this is however something I shall be doing in the new year perhaps March/April time when the weather improves again as I have now collected the car from RT's and have it here at home with me, and what a drive home it was! Despite not experiencing full throttle yet I can confirm it is indeed one very fast car even at 1/2 throttle, in fact I'd go as far as to say of all the cars I've driven to date it's probably the smoothest fast car I have ever driven. The power is relentless from the moment you put your toe down to the moment you take it off, the car is even better on fuel than before and it makes me extremely pleased to say it is actually mine, I can not tell you how happy I am, I feel like a kid on Christmas morning, well well welll worth the wait! :)

So to conclude this chapter all that is left to say is a VERY VERY big thank you to Russ and his team for all the hard work and effort that has gone into the build they have definitely surpassed themselves with the build as now having been over the car in my own time the attention to detail is amazing, the car drives the best it has ever driven and despite having had major surgery and having been with them since March the car hasn't even picked up the tiniest of marks. I am so so pleased with your work guys so thanks for all you've done, and thanks for putting up with my nagging and constant questions/added on work requests, guys this car is a testimony to you :)

Kingsford G
Saturday 7th December 2013, 21:44
I can`t believe you fitted a none stock grill.Looks much better but still can`t believe you fitted one lol

AndysR
Saturday 7th December 2013, 22:00
I can`t believe you fitted a none stock grill.Looks much better but still can`t believe you fitted one lol

Tbh I opted for the egg crate with the chrome surround as it was the closest to a factory finished grille I could find, when it was fitted initially without the the slash I have to say I hated it but with the slash fitted it's like the grille is complete and tbh I actually prefer it over the standard item by a fair degree, that said I still have the original and there is no danger of it going anywhere or at this point in time back on the car ;)

martybelfastt5
Saturday 7th December 2013, 22:02
Looks and sounds awsome well done:Handshake

Kingsford G
Saturday 7th December 2013, 22:17
Tbh I opted for the egg crate with the chrome surround as it was the closest to a factory finished grille I could find, when it was fitted initially without the the slash I have to say I hated it but with the slash fitted it's like the grille is complete and tbh I actually prefer it over the standard item by a fair degree, that said I still have the original and there is no danger of it going anywhere or at this point in time back on the car ;)

It does look great mate,good choice and yes the surrounding makes up for the stock set up.

t5 pete
Saturday 7th December 2013, 22:31
Andy thats one stunning motor and it must be awesome to have her back the grill looks great im in two mind weather to get one for the gul and weather all black or like yours and factory type with chrome, the chrome looks great on dark cars just dont look what it will look like on yellow.
Which volvo slash did you end up getting for it.

AndysR
Saturday 7th December 2013, 22:43
Thanks for the positive comments guy's.

The grille slash is from an XC90 I believe from the launch model until around '06 plate ish, there's about 3 mm shaved off the bottom of the slash to allow it to fit inside the chrome section of the grille otherwise it sits just proud of the egg crate section and doesn't fit flush, and for what it is worth I'd still opt for the chrome surround egg crate on a Gul as I'd want as close to factory as possible on a Gul ;)

M-R-P
Saturday 7th December 2013, 23:23
From hearing, in your own words, last week, just how well it goes, I could tell you're pleased with it Andy. I dread to think of the total bill for the work but I'm sure it's worth it. Proper pleased for ya mate :beer: