PDA

View Full Version : oil light

volvos60t
Sunday 31st March 2013, 02:05
i would like to now what could be the cause of the oil light flashing on then off when it first happened i stop switch off the engine and checked the oil and its over the half way so i would like to now what could cause this could it be the oil pump (hope not)

smithy
Sunday 31st March 2013, 02:11
i would like to now what could be the cause of the oil light flashing on then off when it first happened i stop switch off the engine and checked the oil and its over the half way so i would like to now what could cause this could it be the oil pump (hope not)

It might be just the sencor packing up is the any noise coming from the top of the engine and also check for leaks around the oil cooler and turbo drain pipe too

volvos60t
Sunday 31st March 2013, 02:17
no noise and no leaks

Harvey
Sunday 31st March 2013, 09:37
O rings to pump from pick up,filter on pick up blocked up.
When you look in the oil filler cap is it clean or is there a lot of black carbon bits that have built up.
The seals from the pump also where the sump bolts to the block ,do dry out and leak oil pressure back to sump internal oil leak.
The easy way to test is to put a pressure guage on at the pressure switch port and see what oil pressure you realy have in the engine.
If the pressure is ok then you know it's just a faulty sensor.

Just found this old link aswell

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?42361-S60R-replace-o-ring-seals-in-sump-oil-pan

volvos60t
Sunday 31st March 2013, 20:27
it does say no oil pressure when it flashes

merc85
Sunday 31st March 2013, 20:35
faulty oil pressure switch?

volvos60t
Sunday 31st March 2013, 20:43
can this do damage to the engine if I leave it

merc85
Sunday 31st March 2013, 20:47
id check out the switch for what it costs as well as the oil pressure, i wouldnt leave it.

volvos60t
Sunday 31st March 2013, 20:51
is it easy to fit

volvos60t
Sunday 31st March 2013, 21:27
its not on all the time it just flashes then goes off

Harvey
Sunday 31st March 2013, 21:50
When was the filter changed last ,what oil grade are you using, could be a bit thin.

volvos60t
Sunday 31st March 2013, 22:39
When was the filter changed last ,what oil grade are you using, could be a bit thin.
I don't now as I only got the car on Thursday so maybe end of the month give it a servise

M-R-P
Sunday 31st March 2013, 23:39
I don't now as I only got the car on Thursday so maybe end of the month give it a servise

Good idea, as you don't know how old the oil is. give it a change and use 10/40 semi and a good quality filter.

Go from there mate.

volvos60t
Sunday 31st March 2013, 23:44
seen it never done it once when I went out for a bit tonight that's why I am not sure what it could be

volvos60t
Monday 1st April 2013, 22:27
well found out the reason for the light the bottom end has gone so now the problem now is fix the bottom end or replace the engine or just cut my losses what do uz think

merc85
Monday 1st April 2013, 22:32
well found out the reason for the light the bottom end has gone so now the problem now is fix the bottom end or replace the engine or just cut my losses what do uz think

Replace the engine bud easier in the long run. or buy another s60 and strip your old one for spares

Harvey
Monday 1st April 2013, 22:33
I take it sounds like a bag of spanners now.

volvos60t
Monday 1st April 2013, 23:03
I take it sounds like a bag of spanners now.

oh yes it does

volvos60t
Monday 1st April 2013, 23:04
Replace the engine bud easier in the long run. or buy another s60 and strip your old one for spares

I would but don't have the time or money to do that

Harvey
Tuesday 2nd April 2013, 02:31
Where did you buy it from !,I think a phone call a least.

But when you the dash said ,oil pressure low stop and you didn't they won't be to happy.

Jimmie
Tuesday 2nd April 2013, 09:38
Was it a dealer or private buy.
If its a dealer the amount you payed will determine if you have any comeback on the seller.

volvos60t
Tuesday 2nd April 2013, 19:00
Where did you buy it from !,I think a phone call a least.

But when you the dash said ,oil pressure low stop and you didn't they won't be to happy.

i have tried to ring him and no answer and I but it on Thursday

volvos60t
Tuesday 2nd April 2013, 19:01
Was it a dealer or private buy.
If its a dealer the amount you payed will determine if you have any comeback on the seller.

was a dealer but I have no come back as it says on the receipt but as seen

Harvey
Tuesday 2nd April 2013, 19:05
If you have the address of the last keeper try to get hold of them and ask if there was a problem with it.

volvos60t
Tuesday 2nd April 2013, 19:07
If you have the address of the last keeper try to get hold of them and ask if there was a problem with it.
the only address I got is where I but it from