PDA

View Full Version : Munster's 854 sleeper project

munster732
Friday 29th March 2013, 22:47
It's been a long day holed up in T5pete's garage with the grandad-mobile.
I'm very tired so pictures and write up tmoro evening, needless to say 854+16t=:-)

t5 pete
Friday 29th March 2013, 23:03
Yes some bodys been a busy boy

shepbomb
Saturday 30th March 2013, 08:09
Oooooh nice,

iancho
Saturday 30th March 2013, 20:58
Looking forward to the pics :rolleyes:

AndysR
Sunday 31st March 2013, 12:47
Another 854, sweet. Looking forward to seeing the pictures

munster732
Sunday 31st March 2013, 18:46
Well its been a very busy few days, actually got started on the car and here we go.

First up was the mechanicals. Im very lucky to have T5Pete living 500 yards up the road. That man is a font of Volvo based knowledge, a true enthusiast and since I met him thru this forum, a real good mate. If I had to pay a garage rate of £30-40 an hour, i would never get anything done due to finances....or lack of them! Added to the fact he has the best home garage/man cave in the Shire it makes things a little bit easier. I have decided that I want to learn to do more on my Volvo's, so with the big 'un as teacher and little Wayne bending spanners Good Friday began at 0800.
On arrival at Petes, it looked like this

The plan was to fit the 16T first, then the Samco turbo hoses and dump valve, renew the boost pipes and vacuum pipes. Then do a mini service, fuel filter and have a good look around the car.
When you have never done a turbo swap, it isnt the easiest thing but I set about it with instruction. What doesnt help is that im not the tallest guy in the world, and spent most of the day stood on an empty plastic beer crate to reach into the turbo ( much to n*bhead's amusement and trying to take pictures to humiliate me on here)

To be fair, it took ages to get to all the nuts, and get them off. Mr Miyagi was a constant urine extractor as he manfully sat at his bench polishing his cylinder head ports. There is always a knack to these jobs when you know how, and next time it would take me probably half the time. After an eternity, said 15G was on bench with its bigger cousin.
Then we had a exhaust flange lesson 101 for numpties. I now have seen them all, and as mine was different to the one on the 16T, it was swapped over. For all wannabe learners out there, Sensei made me take a photo of the 3 different housings.

After many curses and profanities, the turbo was bolted back up to the engine and downpipe and the oil and water pipes reconnected...or would have been if the exhaust flange attatchment clamp was in the correct position. It was fouling the oil inlet pipe so it couldnt bolt on. Scream, cuss,chunter. Plus much laughing from Mr Magoo.
Off it came again to be repositioned and then was once more reattatched. Fitted new copper o rings on the banjo's and a new turbo oil return pipe seal and gasket.
Turbo back on and me many grazed knuckles. Then the hoses I got second hand from a forum member (cheers Rudeyboy18) and the dump valve. We fitted new boost hoses and vacuum pipes whilst we were there.

Did an oil and filter change, put in new k&n panel filter and then topped up all levels. Also replaced the fuel filter as it looked ancient. I had also bought new rear pads for it but on inspection there were nearly new brakes on it all round.
We then changed all four wheels from the other car, as they were not long ago refurbished and has great tyres. Sticking to 16 in Columbas as its a stealth look im after.
By this point it was very dark, i was tired and Peter-san was getting annoyed at my incompetence. So we called it a night after a quick test drive and all was very good and it pulled really nice.
Dawn came up on Saturday for another 8am start. This time it was the interior and door swaps. Started like this,
And reasonably quickly went to this

We attacked it with much gusto, the donor 854 I bought off Frankie the other week was duly gutted of its dash, electric aerial,full interior. Only thing left in was the wiring and the roof lining lol. Then we replaced both rear doors and the drivers side front door due to some scummer keying right down it.

At the end of a long 2 days I, or should I say we, ended up with Project Grandadmobile. But now we have full CD trim, electric windows x 4, heated leather seats, walnut trim dash, retro fitted rear shelf speakers and im very happy,

Couple of other jobs in the pipeline are a cambelt, poly top mount, samco coolant hoses, blue injectors when they come off Petes old engine,boost guage and a remapped ecu when one comes up cheap ish .

Finally must once again say a huge THANK YOU to big Petey, who gave up control in his workshop to a know nowt dwarf and resisted the urge to shoot himself at my general lack of knowledge and patience. Cheers fella!

smithy
Sunday 31st March 2013, 18:56
Nice job there mate and I have a height restriction too so I put a coat on top of the engine and lye over that.

T5frankie
Sunday 31st March 2013, 18:56
looking well mate, nice and clean. bet it goes well now too

AndysR
Sunday 31st March 2013, 18:57
Looks like your hard work has paid off! That looks really smart, I love the colour.

T5frankie
Nice job there mate and I have a height restriction too so I put a coat on top of the engine and lye over that.

bunch of short arses lol

stribo
Looks like alot of work's gone into that, though I prefer your old C70, but I'm biased. ;)

stribo
Sunday 31st March 2013, 18:58
bunch of short arses lol

Says Mr Big. :lol:

T5frankie
Sunday 31st March 2013, 19:00
Says Mr Big. :lol:

was said through gritted teeth lol

smithy
Sunday 31st March 2013, 19:08
was said through gritted teeth lol

Yes we are the same height I'm just better looking .

T5frankie
Sunday 31st March 2013, 19:18
Yes we are the same height I'm just better looking .

you keep telling yourself that grandad.................oh thats me lol

smithy
Sunday 31st March 2013, 19:32
you keep telling yourself that grandad.................oh thats me lol

Very true mate lol

munster732
Sunday 31st March 2013, 19:35
Looks like your hard work has paid off! That looks really smart, I love the colour.

Well, play your cards right and if you ask nicely I'd do you a straight swap:smile:

AndysR
Sunday 31st March 2013, 19:52
Baring in mind mine currently is in need of engine repairs and you thought the turbo swap was hard you may not have quite the bargin you hoped for... lol

t5 pete
Sunday 31st March 2013, 21:22
Lol fantastic write up BIG wayne lol you did well but for god sake stop asking me qustions every 2 mins

t5 pete
Sunday 31st March 2013, 21:35
And friar tuck in action all tho looking rather lost, probley getting ready to ask me another bloody question
http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt39/t5pete/89d9ce68-42d4-495f-8fd5-4971e1188c8b_zps8b8d39d3.jpg

WOODY T5
Sunday 31st March 2013, 21:40
And friar tuck in action all tho looking rather lost, probley getting ready to ask me another bloody question
http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt39/t5pete/89d9ce68-42d4-495f-8fd5-4971e1188c8b_zps8b8d39d3.jpgnow that face tells this guy wants to go faster and faster? well done boys coming along very nice

munster732
Sunday 31st March 2013, 21:46
http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt39/t5pete/89d9ce68-42d4-495f-8fd5-4971e1188c8b_zps8b8d39d3.jpg

Its not the start of a bald patch,its the way the high power light is reflecting lol

AndysR
Sunday 31st March 2013, 21:50
Its not the start of a bald patch,its the way the high power light is reflecting lol

Yeah yeah, Just as well smello vision hasn't be invented yet!!!

iancho
Monday 1st April 2013, 09:04
Great thread and very amusing!.... Good work lads :B_thumb:

theflyingbrick
Monday 1st April 2013, 11:10
how are you finding the 16t??

no1tosh
Monday 1st April 2013, 12:25
thats the way to do it, looks like i nice selection of motors

Jamest5r
Monday 1st April 2013, 17:46
Good going Wayne :), Yoda is a pain in the ass to work with though lol

t5 pete
Monday 1st April 2013, 18:04
yoda will kick ur ar$e$

Biff
Monday 1st April 2013, 18:33
Well done boys, I'd be pretty stuck without my mates & they're constant §§§§ taking for having a gold volvo. Lol

munster732
Monday 1st April 2013, 19:08
how are you finding the 16t??

It certainly pulls well, much better than the 15g. need a remap to really see it fly lol

munster732
Monday 1st April 2013, 19:14
Good going Wayne :), Yoda is a pain in the ass to work with though lol

They do say that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit...Peter-san is almost subcuteaneous then lol (go look it up big boy pmsl)

Jamest5r
Monday 1st April 2013, 19:25
They do say that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit...Peter-san is almost subcuteaneous then lol (go look it up big boy pmsl)

subcuteaneous = big northan lump :)

Kingsford G
Monday 1st April 2013, 19:27
Nice to c some hard work paid.A map will add a cherry on the top.

t5 pete
Monday 1st April 2013, 19:47

Ah big boy so i get under your skin you have some very wiered thoughts and do worrie me some times also spending too much time looking at big words on the tinternet but then again you dont have much else to do, do you lol
Just because your half the man i am dont take it out on me, double ass kick for you

P.s. any one know how to upload videos from my mobile pmsl

t5 pete
Monday 1st April 2013, 19:48
subcuteaneous = big northan lump :)

Oh yes lol but then again it is coming from a southern pu$$y

munster732
Sunday 7th April 2013, 12:37
Had another busy Saturday doing little jobs that were narking me, think its my OCD cos if it doesn't work how it should I get the face on!
Firstly sorted out the electric aerial as it wasn't retracting. After much faffing about it was found to be the wiring that was slightly different than on the donor car, so made a change of wires and it works as it should.
Then swapped the drivers door handle so its back to all original locks and being able to use one key for all. Found out that the previous owner had replaced all the door speakers with uprated Sony ones, so replaced the factory ones.
Had to do a bit of door alignment as when we fitted them, in the dark they weren't quite right and had wind whistle at owt over 10mph, now sorted.
Changed the Oem top mount bush for a Poly, makes such a difference and sounds so good, never thought it could change the sound so much. Have been looking for an OBD 1 compliant remapped ECU. not an easy thing to find used, but as im spending hand over fist on bits at the minute £150 to Hamish is not happening. Been offered a Rica chip put into my Ecu for half that from a forum member so took mine out and replaced it with a T5r one that big Pete had in his large pile of ecu's in his garage. So gutted his MTE stage 2 won't fit mine or would have that when he get the forged engine custom mapped. Dunno if I'm biased but it seemed to fly compard to standard, I know there's a few more bhp but it went and sounded great.
Jobs for next weekend are new plugs, expansion tank, samco blue hoses, thermostat and new coolant then gonna get on with cleaning the engine bay up a bit.
After we had finished the car started making some horrible noises from the alternator / belt area. Frightened the hell out of me, especially as it has a brand new alternator on it. Works out, after investigation it was the osf headlight wiper motor that's graunching. It was unconnected when I got it, but seeing a plug unconnected wasn't good so I had plugged it back in...it ain't now lol
Will look at getting the motors off the donor one day this week.
Once again I was masterfully guided by the Barnsley Ogre, so thank you T5Pete and no, I don't want to buy anything else out of your fecking parts locker as its bread and water till payday lol

V70 Graham
Sunday 7th April 2013, 12:59
It's surprising how long these little jobs take and people don't necessarily see much difference, good on you for getting them all done mate.

shepbomb
Sunday 7th April 2013, 14:03
Good thread mate, I've given up on mine for now I need to refind the love

munster732
Sunday 7th April 2013, 14:08
Good thread mate, I've given up on mine for now I need to refind the love

Stick with it Steve, its never looked so good, the love will reappear if you just keep the faith. Better the devil you know......

t5 pete
Sunday 7th April 2013, 21:53
Yeah it will look even better when he collects these bl00dy shiny bits im gunner start charging storage

shepbomb
Sunday 7th April 2013, 22:30
Yeah it will look even better when he collects these bl00dy shiny bits im gunner start charging storage

Sorry mate been working

t5 pete
Monday 8th April 2013, 20:06
Sorry mate been working

lol must have been a very busy 3 months

shepbomb
Monday 8th April 2013, 20:22
It has

Nifton
Monday 8th April 2013, 20:56
Well done boys, I'd be pretty stuck without my mates & they're constant §§§§ taking for having a gold volvo. Lol

It's Brown ;)

T5frankie
Monday 8th April 2013, 21:03
It's Brown ;)

and gay

LiamT4
Monday 8th April 2013, 21:07
and gay

Don'y know what you have against them, i love the gold s/v70Rs.......my favourite colour.

T5frankie
Monday 8th April 2013, 21:30
Don'y know what you have against them, i love the gold s/v70Rs.......my favourite colour.

nah not me never liked the gay brown junkers lol

Saaamon
Monday 8th April 2013, 22:11
I really like that, you also have an 850 in the best colour they came in!

munster732
Saturday 13th April 2013, 22:09
21125Been busy busy getting on with the Grandadmobile. Finished off with the ex Frankie donor car today, was a sad sight but it had served its purpose and it was time to leave.

Did a few more jobs this weekend. Managed to fit the new (to me) Samco blue coolant hoses, new expansion tank, fitted the new thermostat and replaced the coolant with nice new pink stuff. Finished the stage 0 tune off with a shiny new set of Volvo spark plugs.
Car is now taxed and insured and on the road. Been an expensive week all in but finally got there. Big thanks to T5Pete for all his help and patience in getting this far.
Im now left with a lot of cleaning and polishing, especially under the bonnet. I have seen Pete's engine in the flesh and it is making me very envious so gonna order some goodies.

Have now decided that Im not a fan of the dark grey Columbas, they are in great condition but I prefer the silver ones on the car so gonna sell them and put the original ones back on. Two are mint but 2 are a bit scabby so looking for 2 mint silver Columbas if anyone has any going spare

munster732
Sunday 14th April 2013, 18:55
Wheels on, wheels off, sick of bloody wheel changing. Gone back to silver and personally think it looks loads better. Had a quick clean of the engine bay, gotta start somewhere. Ive never been a rampant polisher so gonna take my time and start repainting and polishing /colour coding bits.
A few piccies I took today for the agreed value bit of the insurance

Some MRP-esque grill magic incoming soon along with a boost guage and fitment of re-circ blanking plate. Busy times ahead methinks

t5 pete
Sunday 14th April 2013, 18:58
Wheels on

Some MRP-esque grill magic incoming soon along with a boost guage and fitment of re-circ blanking plate. Busy times ahead methinks

I see mrp has all ready sent you his 4x4 springs

munster732
Sunday 14th April 2013, 19:27
I see mrp has all ready sent you his 4x4 springs

Firkin' no.b.........let me guess, you might just happen to have some in your spares cupboard I can buy for cash? As im down to one kidney and have weighed in all my fillings, stop selling me stuff before i lose the house ;-)

t5 pete
Sunday 14th April 2013, 19:31
Firkin' no.b.........let me guess, you might just happen to have some in your spares cupboard I can buy for cash? As im down to one kidney and have weighed in all my fillings, stop selling me stuff before i lose the house ;-)

you can always live in the car your small enough it will be like a 4 bed house to you

munster732
Sunday 21st April 2013, 18:46
Another weekend and another small push on the journey to sorting the 854. Decided to fit and wire in the boost guage I bought from Pete. Another first for me and I was doing it all on my own until the impatient gorilla swiped me out of the way and dove in with his magnificence.We decided to plumb it in direct to the vacuum tree rather than tap into the dash feed. Took a bit of fiddling but was sorted and works spot on. Took a power feed from an unused switched live under the dash and earthed it to a common earth point, happy lil Wayne.
Also fitted the new to me cone filter, for that slurping loveliness. Big Petey made a custom designed bracket at great expense to himself to hold it all firmly in place.
Decided to put in my new subframe bush inserts, not a bad job to do even for the novice. Definately feels tighter and theres a little more vibration but it all adds to the atmosphere.
Short test run and all was swell, boosting to bout 10psi and holds firm, feels really strong and pulls very well indeed. Cant wait for my remapped ECU to arrive this week, then its smiles for miles lol

t5 pete
Sunday 21st April 2013, 19:07
Another weekend and another small push on the journey to sorting the 854. Decided to fit and wire in the boost guage I bought from Pete. Another first for me and I was doing it all on my own until the impatient gorilla swiped me out of the way and dove in with his magnificence as i couldnt get the wires and vac pipe through but i am out of pratice with getting it in.We decided to plumb it in direct to the vacuum tree rather than tap into the dash feed. Took a bit of fiddling but was sorted and works spot on. Took a power feed from an unused switched live under the dash and earthed it to a common earth point, happy lil Wayne.
Also fitted the new to me cone filter, for that slurping loveliness. Big Petey made a custom designed bracket at great expense to himself to hold it all firmly in place.
Decided to put in my new subframe bush inserts, not a bad job to do even for the novice. Definately feels tighter and theres a little more vibration but it all adds to the atmosphere.
Short test run and all was swell, boosting to bout 10psi and holds firm, feels really strong and pulls very well indeed untill the wife decided to mess with the window switch while talking. Cant wait for my remapped ECU to arrive this week, then its smiles for miles lol and ill get petes ecu back to him with much thanks

Sorry but a few things wrong let me sort that for you

munster732
Monday 22nd April 2013, 08:17
Will Santa please take his magic demi-god moderator buttons off him please, he is abusing the privilege!

munster732
Tuesday 23rd April 2013, 19:00
My remapped MTE stage one ecu came today, was quickly fitted and have to say WOW!
Having never had a before and after test with a remapped ecu I can certainly say it is awesome.
Pulls like a train, and is very quick as well as very smooth.
Wayne is now a happy boy, time to go out and frighten myself lol

iancho
Tuesday 23rd April 2013, 20:25
My remapped MTE stage one ecu came today, was quickly fitted and have to say WOW!
Having never had a before and after test with a remapped ecu I can certainly say it is awesome.
Pulls like a train, and is very quick as well as very smooth.
Wayne is now a happy boy, time to go out and frighten myself lol

Lol... Go and Frighten yourself !

The difference is quite incredible, I'm pleasedd to read your a happy bunny... Money well spent and a BIG DIRTY GRIN everytime you put your foot down :B_thumb:

MRTREE
Tuesday 23rd April 2013, 20:43
Sorry i know this is off topic but thanks for the friend request iancho

iancho
Tuesday 23rd April 2013, 21:00
Sorry i know this is off topic but thanks for the friend request iancho

Your welcome mate :B_thumb:

munster732
Sunday 28th April 2013, 18:57
Why is it when you want something you can never find it? I now seem to be the owner of TWO remapped ecu's. Have been swapping them this weekend to see which i prefer...cant decide for sure yet so have to ponder it.
MTE stage 1 or RICA clone??? At this rate I guess I'm gonna need some more petrol lol

Jamest5r
Sunday 28th April 2013, 19:20
You fancy a nice 302 brake up grade cheap :)

munster732
Sunday 28th April 2013, 19:23
You fancy a nice 302 brake up grade cheap :)

Wont fit under the Columbas mate, so until I change wheels im stuck with 280mm.
Plus Yoda has a set of carriers in his locker that I'm assuming he has written my name on yet again :-)

T5frankie
Sunday 28th April 2013, 19:32
Why is it when you want something you can never find it? I now seem to be the owner of TWO remapped ecu's. Have been swapping them this weekend to see which i prefer...cant decide for sure yet so have to ponder it.
MTE stage 1 or RICA clone??? At this rate I guess I'm gonna need some more petrol lol

be interesting to read your findings mate

LiamT4
Sunday 28th April 2013, 20:30
Shame you can't get it on a dyno and see the differences between the two.