PDA

View Full Version : V70 2.4 engine

skott
Friday 29th March 2013, 13:15
In the coming next few months I'm wanting the v70. I'm just curious to know some information on the 2.4 non turbo? Petrol engine 140\170. I know they might be a bit gutless but I'm no speed freak, well I have my days lol. Are they just another bullet proof Volvo engine with a few common gremlins? I.e Fsh. Timing belt done, check the usual ? Regards scott :D

foammanmark
Friday 29th March 2013, 18:57
I had an auto 2.4(170) and she went well. Got her with 96k on the clock and ran her upto 150k with only servicing and minor 'non engine' issues. She was quite nippy and I averaged 30-32mpg but on mainly decent runs. I looked into the engine power/economy a lot before I bought her, and there seemed little point to go for the 140 as it wasn't much more economical. The timing belt had just been done when I bought her for the first time.

silverhorse
Friday 29th March 2013, 20:35
Just get a T5. You might get 6 or 7 fewer miles to the gallon, but you will have a much better car and a much better time.

skott
Saturday 30th March 2013, 16:13
Yeah, if its s T5 it has to be white ;)

skott
Wednesday 17th April 2013, 16:40
Is the non turbo 2400 engine a 5 cylinder ?

M-R-P
Wednesday 17th April 2013, 17:21
Yes it is mate.
I'm with the others with the preference to the T5. If driven carefully, the fuel economy is fine, I'm getting mid 30s mpg between 70 and 90 (on a private runway of course) and there's the power there when you decide to play.
Insurance is higher tho.

silverhorse
Wednesday 17th April 2013, 17:53
Insurance is higher tho.

But not that much (for me anyway, there was only about 20 quid in it)

stevmo
Wednesday 17th April 2013, 19:55
or if you dont want one so quick and better on fuel get a 2.0T like I have in my S60 - getting better MPG than my 530d was doing :D (although that did have 5 fecked injectors)

Squirtydog
Wednesday 17th April 2013, 21:14
We have a 2.0T S60. Goes well, very smooth, for a 2.0 it is impressive. 380-400+ miles from full to red light depending on enthusiasm.

stevmo
Thursday 18th April 2013, 11:35
We have a 2.0T S60. Goes well, very smooth, for a 2.0 it is impressive. 380-400+ miles from full to red light depending on enthusiasm.

I'm getting about 450miles but guessing mines a little healthier given your sig says 180,000+ miles - mine only turned 77k yesterday

skott
Sunday 21st April 2013, 11:37
Thanks, ill consider the 2.0. Was the DIM problems sorted by 2004/54 on the volvos? Also, DMFS are uncommon on turbo charged petrol engines to failure? Or NA for that matter. Thanks scot

stevmo
Sunday 21st April 2013, 12:35
Thanks, ill consider the 2.0. Was the DIM problems sorted by 2004/54 on the volvos? Also, DMFS are uncommon on turbo charged petrol engines to failure? Or NA for that matter. Thanks scot

as far as I know by 04 DIM problems were done as my pre-face 53 plate has the metal ringed dials which are the safe ones ;)
DMF failure tends to be more down to how the car was driven etc as I know from mondeos that the diesel models on average get 100k out of one however the V6 petrols get 200 odd k before dmf shows any signs of trouble. Basically its down to torque that breaks them and due to diesels giving all their torque in one lump low down it puts alot of stress on it where as a petrol - turbo or n/a - spreads its torque across the rev band so the dmf isnt suddenly dumped with torque

skott
Sunday 21st April 2013, 15:05
Thanks for that stevmo, it's nice to learn something new everyday.

stevmo
Sunday 21st April 2013, 19:40
Thanks for that stevmo, it's nice to learn something new everyday.

your welcome - only sharing what I know :) There may be other issues with the V70 things that I don't know as only owned a Volvo since Jan - I just learn quick :)

Like I bought a BMW 530d in July and have learnt the following go wrong:
engine (injecotrs, swirl flaps, crank case breather well everything really)
gearbox
suspension
body rot
electricals
trim breaks

basically the only thing that works is the hazard light switch.... bloody needs to
and the several thousand pound optional extra comfort seats mine had are less comfortable than Volvo seats. and mitsubishi galant and mondeo seats

Pliskin
Sunday 21st April 2013, 20:20
Just get a T5. You might get 6 or 7 fewer miles to the gallon, but you will have a much better car and a much better time.

Ditto above,

We got a 140 V70 of a mate of mine for next to nothing to ferry the grandkids around to keep them ruining the "weekend car".
Overall it is a great car but it is gutless compared to my old T5 and because it has to be worked hard is probably worse on fuel. If you can get a T5 with the cambelt and PCV system already done go for it.

Squirtydog
Monday 22nd April 2013, 00:45
I'm getting about 450miles but guessing mines a little healthier given your sig says 180,000+ miles - mine only turned 77k yesterday

Right, I feel a Terraclean coming on.

Still really can recommended the 2.0. Apart from wear and tear / preventative stuff like drop links, engine mount / timing belt etc. the car has been bullet proof. Have done 100k over the past 6 years. Only issue was ETM replacement which I missed the recall for. Still not dull when I get in after driving the R. Extremely smooth, pulls right up to 6k in each gear (I see why my fuel consumption is not that hot), extremely comfortable. They are going for pennies on autotrader these days.

stevmo
Monday 22nd April 2013, 22:33
I've been driving with a gentler foot since I last filled up. I've used just over a third of a tank and done 230 miles. trip computer says I have 370 miles left :D
Doubt I'll hit 600 but still be good to get close ;)

Squirtydog
Tuesday 23rd April 2013, 01:50
No chance surely. Give it a shot though. Think I'll switch to the S60 for a few days and see just what I can manage.

stevmo
Tuesday 23rd April 2013, 22:52
No chance surely. Give it a shot though. Think I'll switch to the S60 for a few days and see just what I can manage.
I used my foot too much today :( only looking at 530 total now