PDA

View Full Version : CD woes

ChrisB
Thursday 28th March 2013, 21:06
Hi Guys,
Since my last post the chassis suspension warning has not re-appeared so as the yanks say " if it ain't broke don't fix it!. Now another problem has reared it's head ,whilst listening to a Chris Rea cd " maybe the head unit doesn't like Geordie music" it appeared to skip, so I ejected the cd then re-loaded the same and instantly got the CD Error message. When I tried to eject the CD again the head unit would not play, nor would it change CD's or eject any of the six CD's but kept coming up with" Loading CD" and then CD error" Non of the functions work at all but the radio is ok. I have tried disconnecting the battery for anything up to 30 minutes with no effect & as the CD player is integrated into the dashboard this doesn't appear to be an easy fix. Has anyone out there had a similar problem or can anyone point me in the right direction other than a Volvo main dealer?

silverhorse
Friday 29th March 2013, 08:38
What model is it? The HU 850 WILL go wrong by all accounts. There are some threads on here about what to do. My number 3 CD will not play so I have a 5 disc changer. I am not waiting for the rest to follow so am going to install a Grom unit.

Wobbly Dave
Friday 29th March 2013, 12:01
I have an A/M full setup - SONY - with Volvo loom & 6 CD multichanger = Plug & Play. Don't want much for it - let me know - I have full details on here somewhere.

ChrisB
Tuesday 2nd April 2013, 22:22
Hi Dave,
I can't find the details, maybe I am tired but I am presuming that the cd player is independent from the front cover in which case have you any idea where I can purchase the tools to remove same. My friend has a Focus ST with a similar set up and he thinks the tools are a bit like plastic credit cards for the removal of the cover in which case I would be interested.
Cheers ChrisB

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 3rd April 2013, 00:46
Forgot the thread was not started by me - http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?44202-Sony-cdx-gt510ui-cd-mp3-usb-aux-input-direct-ipod-with-cdx-t69-6-disc-cd-changer&highlight=Sony

but it includes pictures. The whole caboodle includes a HU that will take single CDs & a multichanger that can be stashed in the boot OR inside. The lead is pretty long!

As for getting into the space around an S60 HU - I have a good friend who I can ask about it. I know he's put a single DIN unit into that space.

Jimmie
Wednesday 3rd April 2013, 09:42
Why not just get an exchange unit?It saves any hassle in the future and will look better imo.

Squirtydog
Wednesday 3rd April 2013, 14:57
Hi Guys,
Since my last post the chassis suspension warning has not re-appeared so as the yanks say " if it ain't broke don't fix it!. Now another problem has reared it's head ,whilst listening to a Chris Rea cd " maybe the head unit doesn't like Geordie music" it appeared to skip, so I ejected the cd then re-loaded the same and instantly got the CD Error message. When I tried to eject the CD again the head unit would not play, nor would it change CD's or eject any of the six CD's but kept coming up with" Loading CD" and then CD error" Non of the functions work at all but the radio is ok. I have tried disconnecting the battery for anything up to 30 minutes with no effect & as the CD player is integrated into the dashboard this doesn't appear to be an easy fix. Has anyone out there had a similar problem or can anyone point me in the right direction other than a Volvo main dealer?

Don't know if you have managed to fix this but my radio did something similar yesterday. HU803 4 cd changer. Tried to eject a disc then Error and no function at all. It sounded like the machine was trying to eject the disc but was getting stuck. Managed to solve it straight away by pressing eject for the offending disc and gently inserting another disc over the lower edge of the slot just slightly. Freed the disc and ejected fine.

ChrisB
Wednesday 10th April 2013, 23:01
Hi guys,
Thanks to everyone out there who offered help but I have found a company in Ipswich who are familiar with these problems and it is not just Volvo, apparently Audi, Ford, VW.etc have similar problems. They guarantee more or less a 24 hr turnaround. Volvo say it's a new unit @ £550, plus vat, plus software @ £45 plus vat plus labour, don't even go there. Central Services in Ipswich told me over the phone how to remove the head unit, and it was as per their description, so mine is now on it's way to them. I will post when mine is returned and working again. For now their number is 01473 725953 Marcel is the guy to speak to!

stevmo
Thursday 11th April 2013, 10:12
all these multi cd in dash changers do have a tendency to jam. I know particularly Ford ones being a Ford boy.