PDA

View Full Version : Brake refurb shopping list

V70 Graham
Tuesday 26th March 2013, 21:32
Thanks to stribo, M-R-P, Judgeninja, oblark and Sharkey R, my car will be having a 'Brake makeover' on the 14th April.....

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?49741-Mini-fix-meet-14th-April

Now I've made up a shopping list of parts and had them priced by Jamie (PFV)

2 x Front discs (at least one is warped thanx to TRAX)
2 x Rear discs
2 x Rear calipers (at least one is sticking)
Front brake pads
Rear brake pads

Going to stick with Genuine Volvo discs and pads, but I have a few questions.....

1) Should I also do the front calipers at the same time ? (while the wheels are off and discs/pads are being replaced)
2) Do I need front caliper bolts ? (was told these shouldn't be reused) if so any linkys to parts appreciated.
3) Brake fluid, what type ? (would any old Dot 4 be ok) and how much to allow for a full flush ?
4) Copper ease (or similar) any recommendation ?
5) Do I need to consider any other front pads ie Ferodo DS2500 or would Volvo pads be adequate for general road use with the (very) occasional spirited driving.

As always any advice, comments or recommendations appreciated.

t5 pete
Tuesday 26th March 2013, 21:37
Thanks to stribo, M-R-P, Judgeninja, oblark and Sharkey R, my car will be having a 'Brake makeover' on the 14th April.....

2 x Rear discs
Front brake pads
Rear brake pads

Going to stick with Genuine Volvo discs and pads, but I have a few questions.....

1) Should I also do the front calipers at the same time ? (while the wheels are off and discs/pads are being replaced)
2) Do I need front caliper bolts ? (was told these shouldn't be reused) if so any linkys to parts appreciated.
3) Brake fluid, what type ? (would any old Dot 4 be ok) and how much to allow for a full flush ?
5) Do I need to consider any other front pads ie Ferodo DS2500 or would Volvo pads be adequate for general road use with the (very) occasional spirited driving.

Hey Graham

1 no need to replace if fully working just a good clean up
2 no need for new bolts
3 dot 4 will be fine buy 5 lts it will always come in handy
4 yes copper slip is brilliant stuff and should always be used
5 for what u need just stick to genuine pads

oblark
Tuesday 26th March 2013, 21:37

2 x Rear discs
Front brake pads
Rear brake pads

I would and have reused the caliper bolts, also I`ve got tubs of copper slip :)

smithson007
Tuesday 26th March 2013, 21:39
Have you thought about doing braided hoses while your on with it mate?

V70 Graham
Tuesday 26th March 2013, 21:48
Have you thought about doing braided hoses while your on with it mate?

They were done around 2 Months ago, forgot to say.

M-R-P
Tuesday 26th March 2013, 21:52
Hey Graham

1 no need to replace if fully working just a good clean up
2 no need for new bolts
3 dot 4 will be fine buy 5 lts it will always come in handy
4 yes copper slip is brilliant stuff and should always be used
5 for what u need just stick to genuine pads

For what he's doing, he just needs to stick his arm out the window ;)

t5 pete
Tuesday 26th March 2013, 21:53
pmsl

stephenevans99
Tuesday 26th March 2013, 21:53
Genuine Volvo discs come complete with new caliper bolts iirc...may as well use them.

deathrider311271
Tuesday 26th March 2013, 21:56
i can highly recommend ATE Superblue and 1 tin does the whole lot including clutch about £15 and i bought Mintex pads and discs for the front £80 for 302mm setup these are a lot better than standard Volvo pads with very little dust.

V70 Graham
Tuesday 26th March 2013, 21:59
i can highly recommend ATE Superblue and 1 tin does the whole lot including clutch about £15 and i bought Mintex pads and discs for the front £80 for 302mm setup these are a lot better than standard Volvo pads with very little dust.

Mmmm.....I don't think Rob (oblark) rates Mintex pads

V70 Graham
Tuesday 26th March 2013, 22:00
For what he's doing, he just needs to stick his arm out the window ;)

.....and after your handiwork today, your demoted to tea boy !

M-R-P
Tuesday 26th March 2013, 22:02
.....and after your handiwork today, your demoted to tea boy !

Not my fault the bolt was knackered...

...Gonna be even more knackered when I go all "Pedro" and take the grinder to it :D

t5 pete
Tuesday 26th March 2013, 22:06
Not my fault the bolt was knackered...

...Gonna be even more knackered when I go all "Pedro" and take the grinder to it :D

http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt39/t5pete/anglegrinderman1.jpg

M-R-P
Tuesday 26th March 2013, 22:07
Looks like my missus!

t5 pete
Tuesday 26th March 2013, 22:10
Mrp or as mrp say his misses in action "god help him"
http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt39/t5pete/angle20grinder20man20web_zps1865bcea.jpg

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 26th March 2013, 22:11
Apparently RBF600 fluid is good too, if you're going to be screaming round a track :P
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motul-RBF600-Racing-Brake-Fluid-Race-Rally-500ml-/300750407812?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item46061f0884

As for pads I use EBC yellowstuff pads (I've tried Mintex, Genuine and cheapo brands), a lot less dust given off than the genuine pads (my wheels were always dirty with brake dust until I fitted the yellowstuff) lots less brake fade and they're not much more expensive than standard pads.

V70 Graham
Tuesday 26th March 2013, 22:17
.....as for pads I use EBC yellowstuff pads (I've tried Mintex, Genuine and cheapo brands), a lot less dust given off than the genuine pads (my wheels were always dirty with brake dust until I fitted the yellowstuff) lots less brake fade and they're not much more expensive than standard pads.

Interesting, I did look at EBC but shouldn't I be looking at redstuff ?

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 26th March 2013, 22:47
I was going to go for the redstuffs but I read something somewhere that biased me towards the yellowstuffs, can't remember why though :(

There's some arguments over whether EBC are any good, but for the price they were good enough for what I wanted (don't do track days, some A road fun/heavy braking) that other pads couldn't deliver.

Note - that was the 280mm discs, my wheels weren't big enough for the 302s :(

M-R-P
Tuesday 26th March 2013, 22:49
Redstuff pads are dusty as ££££.

merc85
Tuesday 26th March 2013, 22:52
Nowt wrong with Mintex Braking, Fit them correct and you cant go wrong, Grease caliper slider's proper silicone on the back of the anti squeel shimes clean calipers wire brush from debres etc so pads fit as designed, and on top of all that if still not satisfied return to supplier within 12months for a full refund or replacement. cant say fairer than that really.

Ps Volvo dont make brake pads they employ a manufacturer for that ie like Bosch with there plugs

V70 Graham
Tuesday 26th March 2013, 22:53

Is that the technical term lol, maybe I'll look into yellowstuff.....so we recon a clean up of the front calipers will suffice ?

t5 pete
Tuesday 26th March 2013, 22:58
Yep main thing to look for once the calipers are removed graham is to see that the rubber guard around the piston is in good condition and not torn as this will lead to corrision on the piston

Kingsford G

You are a living legend and Volvos nightmare mate `cos I`ve never seen anyone f****g up brakes at 30mph:smile:

Dangerous Dave
Is that the technical term lol, maybe I'll look into yellowstuff.....so we recon a clean up of the front calipers will suffice ?
Only thing I noticed with the yellows was they needed to be warmed up, I have to go down a hill every morning and this is where I'd notice the difference (especially in the current cold weather) braking was still good but better after a bit more braking (stop-start urban driving 40mph max, live nowhere near a proper A road)

t5 pete
Tuesday 26th March 2013, 23:01
Only thing I noticed with the yellows was they needed to be warmed up, I have to go down a hill every morning and this is where I'd notice the difference (especially in the current cold weather) braking was still good but better after a bit more braking (stop-start urban driving 40mph max, live nowhere near a proper A road)

So in other words the yellow stuff ones would be terrible for graham that will never warm them up stick to the genuine ones dude

V70 Graham
Tuesday 26th March 2013, 23:01
You are a living legend and Volvos nightmare mate `cos I`ve never seen anyone f****g up brakes at 30mph:smile:

.....from the man who thinks his car will disintegrate into a puff of dust if he ever leaves Essex !

M-R-P
Tuesday 26th March 2013, 23:02
Cleanup and inspection will be fine - go from there. They're not the root of you're current problem as far as we can tell so they'll be fine.

hahahahahahahahahahaha

V70 Graham
Tuesday 26th March 2013, 23:05
Yep main thing to look for once the calipers are removed graham is to see that the rubber guard around the piston is in good condition and not torn as this will lead to corrision on the piston

I understand that Pete, was just wondering as this is quite a major refurb, for the extra £150 would it not be worth getting new front calipers too, seeing as they are 15 years old and I'm holding into the car.

V70 Graham
Tuesday 26th March 2013, 23:07
Cleanup and inspection will be fine - go from there. They're not the root of you're current problem as far as we can tell so they'll be fine.

If we can give them a good clean and they'll be fine.....that's all good.

Kingsford G
Tuesday 26th March 2013, 23:08
.....from the man who thinks his car will disintegrate into a puff of dust if he ever leaves Essex !

:hilarious too right mate,tbh all that is due to a low income at the moment and trying to make my shed nice and reliable.I`m aming for Sparkford tho.

t5 pete
Tuesday 26th March 2013, 23:09
I understand that Pete, was just wondering as this is quite a major refurb, for the extra £150 would it not be worth getting new front calipers too, seeing as they are 15 years old and I'm holding into the car.

All depends on what you want to spend graham but as the saying goes if it isnt broken then dont fix it its not a case of a bush etc that wears the main thing that kills calipers is corrsion on the inners if there isnt any you will be waisting £150 of your hard earned cash which will pay for the taybarns trip to sunny barnsley

V70 Graham
Tuesday 26th March 2013, 23:13
All depends on what you want to spend graham but as the saying goes if it isnt broken then dont fix it its not a case of a bush etc that wears the main thing that kills calipers is corrsion on the inners if there isnt any you will be waisting £150 of your hard earned cash which will pay for the taybarns trip to sunny barnsley

Good point, £150 of petrol should get me up to see you all again soon enough, cheers for the advice mate.

t5 pete
Tuesday 26th March 2013, 23:13
No problem glad to help

M-R-P
Tuesday 26th March 2013, 23:15
:hilarious too right mate,tbh all that is due to a low income at the moment and trying to make my shed nice and reliable.I`m aming for Sparkford tho.

You'll be at sparkford if we have to fekkin drag you down lol ;)

Kingsford G
Tuesday 26th March 2013, 23:19
You get all u need in the kit including a new piston,the actual housing can be tested for the wear which I don`t think will have much.If you have the dosh to spend just top it up and get a 4pot ones and u can thrush it at 40mph

partsforvolvos.com
Wednesday 27th March 2013, 14:37
The correct specification fluid for Volvos is dot4+
small tin 9437430
large tin 800ml (enough for a fluid change in one car ) 9437431

if you fit dot 4 it is a downgrade .............. !

ref genuine volvo brake pads, some and TMD (owners of mintex, pagid etc) and some are rollands (made in india)
the last genuine discs i got were marked made in china, so i think the important thing is volvo's oe specification not where they are made.

Kingsford G
Wednesday 27th March 2013, 17:55
You'll be at sparkford if we have to fekkin drag you down lol ;)

Thats the plan you cheeky git:)

Kingsford G
Wednesday 27th March 2013, 17:57
The correct specification fluid for Volvos is dot4+
small tin 9437430
large tin 800ml (enough for a fluid change in one car ) 9437431

if you fit dot 4 it is a downgrade .............. !

ref genuine volvo brake pads, some and TMD (owners of mintex, pagid etc) and some are rollands (made in india)
the last genuine discs i got were marked made in china, so i think the important thing is volvo's oe specification not where they are made.
How much better a police spec pads over standard ones?I`ll be doing my fronts at some point and thinkling of genuine disks and police spec pads.

M-R-P
Wednesday 27th March 2013, 18:01
P2 plod pads are an upgrade but I believe P1 plod pads are oe with a wear sensor.

Kingsford G
Wednesday 27th March 2013, 19:35
P2 plod pads are an upgrade but I believe P1 plod pads are oe with a wear sensor.

U ruined my hope lol

JamesT5
Wednesday 27th March 2013, 20:19
Graham, having had a brake refurb on mine on December I'd say get the whole lot done, front and rear calipers included. It will give you peace of mind that all the brake parts are the same age and loads of trouble free miles. I'm sure you'll feel the difference too!

LiamT4
Saturday 30th March 2013, 21:11

That is completly the opposite of my experience with then. I would say they gave off less dust than the volvo pads that where on the back at the time, which considering how much more work the fronts do is pretty good going.

graemewelch
Sunday 31st March 2013, 10:57
dont replace the fronts. its good money down the drain unless your going bigger