PDA

View Full Version : Passed MOT!!

JamesT5
Tuesday 26th March 2013, 14:18
I'm so pleased, my car passed the MOT this afternoon depsite my concerns! There are 2 advisory notes, both say that the front brake hoses are slightly deteriorated and the tester said this was down to the fact that something had been rubbing them, and has advised me to get them changed as soon as I'm able. Other than that there was nothing the tester could find to fail the car on, he agreed it was sound!

Anyway, I'm glad the car has passed and with the hassle it has given me over this last week it seems like nothing short of a miracle to say the least. Looks like all my hard work this week has paid off, what a relief!! At least now, I haven't got to worry about how I will get to work in the morning.

Happy days! :beer: :B_thumb:

Regards

James

V70 Graham
Tuesday 26th March 2013, 14:52
I'm happy for you James, all that hard work was worth it, you can pick up braided hoses on eBay for around the £60 mark iirc

jotter22
Tuesday 26th March 2013, 14:52
I never expected anything else mate gratz...:banana:

Tony.

Rudeyboy18
Tuesday 26th March 2013, 15:23
I got mine this week and 2 advisories it had last year have been sorted. Ive done my own pre MOT checks to best of my knowlegde so fingers crossed i get the same happy result

Harvey
Tuesday 26th March 2013, 15:37
Well done James ,I take it your abs is all ok now ,I hope you can have a bit of time off from this DIY on the motor.

Fubar1977
Tuesday 26th March 2013, 16:34
Congrats. Hopefully thats it for a while ;-)

JamesT5
Tuesday 26th March 2013, 18:46
I got mine this week and 2 advisories it had last year have been sorted. Ive done my own pre MOT checks to best of my knowlegde so fingers crossed i get the same happy result

Doing some basic checks yourself like light bulbs and obvious stuff like that can save you from potential failures and advisory notices.

JamesT5
Tuesday 26th March 2013, 18:47
Well done James ,I take it your abs is all ok now ,I hope you can have a bit of time off from this DIY on the motor.

No the ABS/Tracs lights decided to show their ugly faces after the MOT but obviously didn't crop up during the test (hence no fail). I'm sending the ABS Module back to the company in Kent shortly to see if they can have another look at it because the 'repair' doesn't seem to have fixed the problem.

M-R-P
Tuesday 26th March 2013, 18:51
Congratulations James.

Get those brake hoses done and you can finally enjoy Tue car without the overhanging fear of something falling - off.

:beer:

JamesT5
Tuesday 26th March 2013, 19:05
I took the car for a trip this afternoon to get my hair cut and on the way there there was a huge jolt and then lack of power. Then I could hear a wooshing of air everytime the turbo kicked in plus the car was flat as pancake and was very jerky at lower speeds and at idle was rough and prone to stalling . The other half was in the car with me so I said to her that I thought the intercooler hose had blown off because of a failed jubilee clip.......

So when I got to my destination I had a look and noticed my theory was almost spot on, except it was the black plastic hose that runs along the top of the engine bay had detached from the rubber one that plugs in to the radiator on the drivers side. I managed to reattach the hose and half tighten the jubilee clip but the clip is knackered.

With this, when I got home I went to my local Ford dealers (it was the closest option) and brought 2 new jubilee clips for £1.56 each. I worked the old clip off (there was that stupid metal hook thing to remove out of the rubber first), and put the new clip on. Thing is, I think even the new one is 'clicking' now I've tightened it, but it should be ok and I'll give it some welly tomorrow to test it out. I always have the spare I brought (the reason I always buy 2 of these things) if all else fails.

JamesT5
Tuesday 26th March 2013, 19:07
Congratulations James.

Get those brake hoses done and you can finally enjoy Tue car without the overhanging fear of something falling - off.

:beer:

Would be nice Martin but I've still got to get this ABS/Tracs problem sorted, the Gearbox/Transmission noise sorted, the replacement wing bolted on (meaning I have to remove the front bumper), and then on top of that there are things like tyres and servicing to do as normal.

I've got a long way to go yet but I'm getting there. :B_thumb:

JamesT5
Tuesday 26th March 2013, 19:09
Oh and the alloys look like they've been to Venus so I need then resprayed too (going to get them done at a body shop)....

stribo
Tuesday 26th March 2013, 19:10
Great news James, well worth all the hard work. You're not a proper turbo owner until you've had a boost hose blow off, so welcome to the club. :D

JamesT5
Tuesday 26th March 2013, 19:16
Great news James, well worth all the hard work. You're not a proper turbo owner until you've had a boost hose blow off, so welcome to the club. :D

I've had worse, I was driving my Dad's Skoda VRS Diesel back in 2010 on the Brecon Bescons when the intercooler hose came off and I had a vritually indriveable car with a huge plume of sooty black smoke coming from the back. How I wasn't pulled by the Police later that say driving along the A465 Heads Of The Valleys road is beyond me. By comparison this incident today was minor. :)

LeeT5
Tuesday 26th March 2013, 19:21
I took the car for a trip this afternoon to get my hair cut and on the way there there was a huge jolt and then lack of power. Then I could hear a wooshing of air everytime the turbo kicked in plus the car was flat as pancake and was very jerky at lower speeds and at idle was rough and prone to stalling . The other half was in the car with me so I said to her that I thought the intercooler hose had blown off because of a failed jubilee clip.......

So when I got to my destination I had a look and noticed my theory was almost spot on, except it was the black plastic hose that runs along the top of the engine bay had detached from the rubber one that plugs in to the radiator on the drivers side. I managed to reattach the hose and half tighten the jubilee clip but the clip is knackered.

With this, when I got home I went to my local Ford dealers (it was the closest option) and brought 2 new jubilee clips for £1.56 each. I worked the old clip off (there was that stupid metal hook thing to remove out of the rubber first), and put the new clip on. Thing is, I think even the new one is 'clicking' now I've tightened it, but it should be ok and I'll give it some welly tomorrow to test it out. I always have the spare I brought (the reason I always buy 2 of these things) if all else fails.

...That means you overtightened it. You must replace that one again asap. I think you should get the genuine Volvo one myself. They are more hardy than normal jubilees and also painted black so they wont rust. They can also handle some tightening too.
Sometimes its just best to fit OE....and as far as Turbo hoses are concerned, I would fit OE.

JamesT5
Tuesday 26th March 2013, 19:25
...That means you overtightened it. You must replace that one again asap. I think you should get the genuine Volvo one myself. They are more hardy than normal jubilees and also painted black so they wont rust. They can also handle some tightening too.
Sometimes its just best to fit OE....and as far as Turbo hoses are concerned, I would fit OE.

I'll have to make a trip to the Main Stealers when I have some time off then or order one online from somewhere, perhaps Parts For Volvos do them. Anyway Lee, you were saying the other day that something breaks everytime..... :D

silverhorse
Tuesday 26th March 2013, 23:55
Would be nice Martin but I've still got to get this ABS/Tracs problem sorted, the Gearbox/Transmission noise sorted, the replacement wing bolted on (meaning I have to remove the front bumper), and then on top of that there are things like tyres and servicing to do as normal.

I've got a long way to go yet but I'm getting there. :B_thumb:

But if you didn't have all these jobs to do, you would just get bored!!

Oh and the alloys look like they've been to Venus so I need then resprayed too (going to get them done at a body shop)....

Shot blasted and powder coated mate.

Result on the MOT!! How much did you bung him??!! :lol:

M-R-P
Wednesday 27th March 2013, 00:07
I'll have to make a trip to the Main Stealers when I have some time off then or order one online from somewhere, perhaps Parts For Volvos do them. Anyway Lee, you were saying the other day that something breaks everytime..... :D

I've had this problem a couple of times but it's where I've forgotten to tighten the jubilee. The father in law was in the car last time... BWWWAAARRR - POP - CHUG CHUG. The look of fear on his face was brilliant. I laughed as I knew exactly what it was.

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 27th March 2013, 00:31
Nice one matey, like you said, all that hard work paid off.

Had my top intercooler hose pop as I was joining the motorway last month :S Knew what it was straight away, slowed to a stop, grabbed my tools and quickly put it back together. Problem is it wouldn't idle properly with the hose off and got no chance of accelerating at all so had to be fixed immediately. All sorted now though, I've beaded my metal hoses (no flange on them before and leaking boost) so no blowing apart :)

JamesT5
Wednesday 27th March 2013, 20:24
Result on the MOT!! How much did you bung him??!! :lol:

£54.85. :D :B_thumb:

JamesT5
Wednesday 27th March 2013, 20:27
I've had this problem a couple of times but it's where I've forgotten to tighten the jubilee. The father in law was in the car last time... BWWWAAARRR - POP - CHUG CHUG. The look of fear on his face was brilliant. I laughed as I knew exactly what it was.

Oooops is all I can say to that Martin. Thing is, in my case I didn't forget to do it up, it just simply broke and I noticed it was just 'clicking' over everytime I tried to get it to tighten.

I hate it when things don't tighten up properly, you think "is this me not having lined it up properly, or is it just simply broken?". :)

JamesT5
Wednesday 27th March 2013, 20:33
Nice one matey, like you said, all that hard work paid off.

Had my top intercooler hose pop as I was joining the motorway last month :S Knew what it was straight away, slowed to a stop, grabbed my tools and quickly put it back together. Problem is it wouldn't idle properly with the hose off and got no chance of accelerating at all so had to be fixed immediately. All sorted now though, I've beaded my metal hoses (no flange on them before and leaking boost) so no blowing apart :)

I now carry an Aldi multi-socket set and a few tools around to 'self rescue' myself as standard. I even carry some jump leads, a portable electric tyre inflator machine and spare bulbs. I'm just missing a tow rope which I must get.

This is all essential stuff when you're chugging around in a high miler and as you've found out by carrying the tools yourself, you can get yourself out of trouble for the sake of refitting some clips, bolts or pipes etc.

M-R-P
Wednesday 27th March 2013, 22:50
Oooops is all I can say to that Martin. Thing is, in my case I didn't forget to do it up, it just simply broke and I noticed it was just 'clicking' over everytime I tried to get it to tighten.

I hate it when things don't tighten up properly, you think "is this me not having lined it up properly, or is it just simply broken?". :)

It's very easy to overtighten the jubilees mate. They're really only a use once kind of clamp. That's why they're so cheap. Once they're old and have been disturbed a few times, they are prone to failing.

That reminds me - must get some more ;)

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 28th March 2013, 10:36
I now carry an Aldi multi-socket set and a few tools around to 'self rescue' myself as standard. I even carry some jump leads, a portable electric tyre inflator machine and spare bulbs. I'm just missing a tow rope which I must get.

This is all essential stuff when you're chugging around in a high miler and as you've found out by carrying the tools yourself, you can get yourself out of trouble for the sake of refitting some clips, bolts or pipes etc.
You're missing one part of the kit...... a folding spade :D Essential for those times when you need to dam a stream on the beach or build a sandcastle :D :D I have one for such occasions

JamesT5
Thursday 28th March 2013, 19:49
You're missing one part of the kit...... a folding spade :D Essential for those times when you need to dam a stream on the beach or build a sandcastle :D :D I have one for such occasions

I have a snow shovel though.... :D