PDA

View Full Version : ABS Module Repair Service

JamesT5
Sunday 24th March 2013, 15:26
I used a company in Kent to repair my ABS/STC Module off my T5, however despite pulling the battery off the car for days (it may have reset the system), the ABS and Tracs lights still come on over around 15mph (I think the official speed in 20kph). The Stealers gave me the printed sheet from DICE/VIDA diagnostic session and one of the faults that showed up were the back wheel speed sensors but these cleared and didn't reappear after the road test (as far as I was told).

I read another site that if the modules are faulty then the rear speed sensor signal faults can be logged. As my lights are still showing after 15mph then I wonder if the repair service I paid nearly £70 has in fact not worked at all. I supposed the only way to test it is to buy another second hand module or a remanufactured unit and put it on the car, then take it above 15mph and see if the lights still show up. I know this means chucking a bucket load more money at 2 lights on the dash, but this problem is starting to really irritate me. Interestingly the first time the lights came on the car was at a standstill meaning it's unlikely to be speed sensors.

I wonder whether I should also try taking the rear sensors out and giving them a clean just in case. It's the Ministry Of Transport Test on Tuesday so I'm just going to have to hope and pray that the lights don't come on during the test. I'm sure they won't get above 15mph driving it less than 10 metres in to the MOT bay but I'm wondering if they'll show up during the brake resistance test.

This is all a bit worrying to be honest, particulary the thought of, "what have I actually paid £70 for, anything?"

Regards

James

silverhorse
Monday 25th March 2013, 00:45
Interestingly the first time the lights came on the car was at a standstill meaning it's unlikely to be speed sensors.

The lights won't necessarily come on as soon as the fault appears on the car. The system gives the car 2 chances to rectify itself and if, after these 2 cycles, it is still not right, the computer will throw up the lights the 3rd time you turn on the ignition. So don't be misled by thinking it cannot be a speed sensor just because car was stationary when the lights came on.

I wonder whether I should also try taking the rear sensors out and giving them a clean just in case.

Yep. If you can do it safely. Totally different I know but, on a Shogun this is a common fault but the sensors nearly always shear off in the hub when you try to extract them. Hence I just took the ABS fault bulb out of the dash!!! I am sure Volvos are different and someone will know on here, but be careful.

but I'm wondering if they'll show up during the brake resistance test.

Thats a point................

JamesT5
Monday 25th March 2013, 09:23
Yep. If you can do it safely. Totally different I know but, on a Shogun this is a common fault but the sensors nearly always shear off in the hub when you try to extract them. Hence I just took the ABS fault bulb out of the dash!!! I am sure Volvos are different and someone will know on here, but be careful.

Unfortunatley taking the bulb out is not an option for two reasons, on the P2 models each of the lights is lit up by seperate diode that is soldered to the circuit board and then the light shines up a square plastic tunnel and there is one tunnel for each light. The only way to adopt that method would be to cover the end of each tunnel with something so that the light couldn't shine through the plastic sheet with all the transparent symbols on it.

Additionally, the MOT tester will likely check that all the lights light up on the dash when he turns the ignition on and if the ABS and Tracs lights don't light up for a few seconds and then go off, he could get suspicious and fail the car making the assumption there is a system fault anyway. Personally it's a 50/50 risk.

Regards

James

silverhorse
Monday 25th March 2013, 09:39
NOOOOO, I wasn't suggesting you do it!! I have only done it on my Shogun cos its now used more or less as a farm vehicle. It only goes on the roads occasionally, and even then only on country lanes near me. No, I meant that the speed sensors will be different to a Shogun.
My MOT tester has not noticed the lack of light for 3 years now! Sods law now I've mentioned it........!

JamesT5
Monday 25th March 2013, 09:47
Don't worry, I'll be parking it as close to the MOT test bay as possible tomorrow, and at an angle which means they won't get the car over 5mph to get it on the ramp! :D

Interestingly, I did a test of my own yesterday (on a nice straight bit of tarmac).... I applied the brake whilst also applying the accelerator at less than 10mph and almost replicated the brake test they do on the MOT. The lights didn't come on during my experiment so I'll give it another go later and if nothing happens I should be ok.