PDA

View Full Version : Tune time.

Squirtydog
Sunday 24th March 2013, 11:44
Hi,
I'm planning on a remap in the next few months. Reading the 'Stage 0' advice on the iPD site I was planning the following...

Having read the thread on Terraclean, I thought that this might be a good place to start. Can anyone give a 'one year on' update on how they have fared after this treatment? Anyone returned for a repeat treatment / any hiccups / MPG improvement continuing?

Following that, given that the car is regularly serviced, recent spark plugs, I thought that the items in bold would be the definite needs.
Inspect all plumbing certainly - is it really necessary to change to silicone if all appears to be in good order? Anyone had issues without upgrading? Or is the consensus to replace eferything?
I'm not wanting to skimp and risk damaging the car, just don't want to spend cash where it isn't needed (I was brought up in Yorkshire) - "if it i'nt bust don't fix it"

Hopefully sensors / injectors would be in good working order after a clean - if not then obviously replace.

Air, fuel and oil filter service
Trans fluid flush, angle gear check
Inspect & replace vacuum lines and IC piping rubber
Upgrade to silicone hoses where possible
Test / replace 02 sensors
Verify proper fuel flow using a fuel pressure tester and replace fuel pumps if needed
Clean / replace injectors
Clean intercooler / intercooler plumbing
Compression and cylinder leak down test

Thanks for any advice. Would be good to have a rough budget in mind before starting out to avoid any shocks.

Ian

jotter22
Sunday 24th March 2013, 12:37
Well my C70 is booked in with HLM on Wednesday next week and to be honest i would hope that any weaknesses will be highlighted prior to the chip change/remap but at 50k i am hoping there is nothing too costly to be put right first! good luck with yours mate loads of people on here will steer you in the right direction wobblydave and frankie always seem to be up to their armpits in T5 so you are in safe hands.

Tony.

ROZER
Sunday 24th March 2013, 18:34
what car is it .

volvokid
Sunday 24th March 2013, 18:40
Well my C70 is booked in with HLM on Wednesday next week and to be honest i would hope that any weaknesses will be highlighted prior to the chip change/remap but at 50k i am hoping there is nothing too costly to be put right first! good luck with yours mate loads of people on here will steer you in the right direction wobblydave and frankie always seem to be up to their armpits in T5 so you are in safe hands.

Tony.

There's lots of things that can fail that cant be diagnosed until after the map. I was adviced after my map to really hammer the car for a few days to possibly highlight anything. Well sods law my angle gear started making a noise the day after and now my clutch is slipping with the extra load.

jotter22
Sunday 24th March 2013, 18:45
Well i dont have an angle gear (i dont think) and mines auto so fingers crossed i am ok ;-)

volvokid
Sunday 24th March 2013, 18:49
Oooo tuning an auto dodgy lol joking. No you don't have angle gear to worry about.

jotter22
Sunday 24th March 2013, 19:02
Oooo tuning an auto dodgy lol joking. No you don't have angle gear to worry about.

I need that type of humour NOT!....:nutkick:

volvokid
Sunday 24th March 2013, 19:06
If I was you though I would get them to change the oil in the gear box

jotter22
Sunday 24th March 2013, 19:25
its done 49k and i have 10 stamps in the service record my dad did not scrimp on servicing ...but i may get them to check it.

Tony.

volvokid
Sunday 24th March 2013, 19:34
Volvo doesn't flush the auto box as part of the service, so its probably never been done. Better to be safe than sorry

ROZER
Sunday 24th March 2013, 19:50
I have a s60t5 with a rica stage 2 remap 3" ferrita dp full s/s exhaust . Mine is a auto too and I have done 38k with these mods no problem at all .I would also suggest getting the box flushed ,and some new oil before remap .Also I would put a code reader on the car before you have your map.

LeeT5
Sunday 24th March 2013, 20:05

Err, you sure Martyn? just because his is auto, he'll still have an angle gear otherwise how else does the drive transfer to the rear wheels?
Me thinks you be wrong on that one dude. Both M66 manual and Geartronic have Angle gear or commonly known as a 'Transfer box'.

There's lots of things that can fail that cant be diagnosed until after the map. I was adviced after my map to really hammer the car for a few days to possibly highlight anything. Well sods law my angle gear started making a noise the day after and now my clutch is slipping with the extra load.

'Hammering' your car is not really necessary as you'll naturally drive slightly faster than before with the remap. The very essence of the MAP will expose any weak links due to the higher boost and increased torque curve. The only reason your clutch started slipping is because up until your MTE map was fitted you will have been driving miss Daisy :hihi:...and now you've kicked her out and grown a set your Angle gear has had a rude awakening and shat itself :yikes:

I shouldn't laugh but on a serious note, both those units would have been on their last legs and you merely brought them forwards a few months. Just aswell really, cos being both major components and having them both replaced will make a huge difference to driveability and will also give you a greater confidence and security behind the wheel, safe in the knowledge that they are a very long way from letting go!

jotter22
Sunday 24th March 2013, 20:09
Lee he is right about the angle gear i have a C70!

Tony.

jotter22
Sunday 24th March 2013, 20:14
I have a s60t5 with a rica stage 2 remap 3" ferrita dp full s/s exhaust . Mine is a auto too and I have done 38k with these mods no problem at all .I would also suggest getting the box flushed ,and some new oil before remap .Also I would put a code reader on the car before you have your map.

HLM quote Full diagnostics and checks before and after the upgrade! I am not looking at this thread anymore your all putting me off drive in with a 50k C70 drive out with a bomb waiting to go off!:mad111:

Tony.

ROZER
Sunday 24th March 2013, 20:17
Hi,
I'm planning on a remap in the next few months. Reading the 'Stage 0' advice on the iPD site I was planning the following...

Having read the thread on Terraclean, I thought that this might be a good place to start. Can anyone give a 'one year on' update on how they have fared after this treatment? Anyone returned for a repeat treatment / any hiccups / MPG improvement continuing?

Following that, given that the car is regularly serviced, recent spark plugs, I thought that the items in bold would be the definite needs.
Inspect all plumbing certainly - is it really necessary to change to silicone if all appears to be in good order? Anyone had issues without upgrading? Or is the consensus to replace eferything?
I'm not wanting to skimp and risk damaging the car, just don't want to spend cash where it isn't needed (I was brought up in Yorkshire) - "if it i'nt bust don't fix it"

Hopefully sensors / injectors would be in good working order after a clean - if not then obviously replace.

Air, fuel and oil filter service
Trans fluid flush, angle gear check
Inspect & replace vacuum lines and IC piping rubber
Upgrade to silicone hoses where possible
Test / replace 02 sensors
Verify proper fuel flow using a fuel pressure tester and replace fuel pumps if needed
Clean / replace injectors
Clean intercooler / intercooler plumbing
Compression and cylinder leak down test

Thanks for any advice. Would be good to have a rough budget in mind before starting out to avoid any shocks.

IanSquirtydog I see you are from the Wirral which part .

ROZER
Sunday 24th March 2013, 20:19
don't be silly it will be fine Hamish is very good .

LeeT5
Sunday 24th March 2013, 20:20
Hi,

Air, fuel and oil filter service Definately yes
Trans fluid flush, angle gear check Definately yes and renew angle gear oil/rear diff oil/gearbox oil
Inspect & replace vacuum lines and IC piping rubber Replace vac hose anyway, you shouldn't need to replace IC piping.
Upgrade to silicone hoses where possible I would advise replacing with proper boost hose of the reinforced variety
Test / replace 02 sensors Terraclean will sort your O2 sensors and the results will show on emissions test - No need to test
Verify proper fuel flow using a fuel pressure tester and replace fuel pumps if needed What for? If the car runs....leave them alone. Fuels pumps on V70R/S60R are mega bucks and theres two of them!
Clean / replace injectors Terraclean....no need to replace unless they don't work
Clean intercooler / intercooler plumbing Unless they are full of gallons of oil, you'll be wasting your time. You should renew the oil seals on the turbo before doing this
Compression and cylinder leak down test You could when replacing the plugs, but if the car runs sweet then you won't find problems here

Ian

Above in red is my advise.
Do the Stage '0' tune plus the above and you can't go far wrong.

Squirtydog
Sunday 24th March 2013, 20:38
what car is it .
Car is a 53 plate V70R geartronic. I'm in Heswall btw.

ROZER
Sunday 24th March 2013, 20:42
cool am in Wallasey I have a code reader too if your ever in need give me a bell.

Squirtydog
Sunday 24th March 2013, 20:50
Thanks for the advice guys.

Thanks LeeT5, sounds very sensible. Plan to get a thorough check over in May. I am expecting to find something amiss which is why I am starting with the Terraclean. I've noticed a slight hesitation and rough note at 5,000rpm on some occasions on hard load which concerns me. Until I get to the bottom of that I'm not touching a thing. My understanding is that these issues can be a bit trial and error to solve and hence take time and money. Was hoping that a Terraclean treatment was a good starting point.

volvokid
Sunday 24th March 2013, 20:52
When I described your problem I was adviced to change the fuel pressure sensor.

Squirtydog
Sunday 24th March 2013, 20:52
cool am in Wallasey I have a code reader too if your ever in need give me a bell.

That's great, very kind. I may take you up on that. Haven't seen yet if you have any pics on here. What colour T5 am I looking out for on the Wirral?

Squirtydog
Sunday 24th March 2013, 20:55
When I described your problem I was adviced to change the fuel pressure sensor.
Thanks for that. It's handy to get an idea of where to start... Did it sort the problem?

LeeT5
Sunday 24th March 2013, 20:56
what car is it .

Squirty has a P2 V70R.

...........dam. beat me.

ROZER
Sunday 24th March 2013, 21:12
That's great, very kind. I may take you up on that. Haven't seen yet if you have any pics on here. What colour T5 am I looking out for on the Wirral?

green s60 t5 . http://http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums/o493/clarksonlauren/SNV31595.jpg

ROZER
Sunday 24th March 2013, 21:17

ROZER
Sunday 24th March 2013, 21:19

Squirtydog
Monday 25th March 2013, 00:25
Shall keep an eye out...

Squirtydog
Monday 25th March 2013, 10:56
Terraclean 3pm tomorrow. Will post my before and after readings and may just take it for gentle run out afterwards. Will feedback what I think.

volvokid
Monday 25th March 2013, 11:03
Nice one! There is no one up here that does petrol terraclean

Squirtydog
Tuesday 26th March 2013, 19:50
Well then.

Had the Terraclean treatment this afternoon.
Firstly, the guy had already told me that he didn't have andy emissions testing equipment as he is a mobile unit. I took the car to a mate's garage just before the Terraclean guy arrived and we tested it.

CO 0.00%vol
HC 1ppm
O2 sensor 1.001

Now I'm no expert but i understand that those numbers are pretty good.
Left me wondering if there was any point to the treatment. Anyway he was on the way so I went ahead.

Whole thing took just over an hour including chatting.

Took it for a drive afterwards and...

First thing was the feeling that the car is just that bit quicker to respond to normal, light throttle (comfort, sport off). Nothing tremendous but certainly there. Possibly generally more eager through the gears but within the realms of my wanting it to be better.

Secondly I have a flat spot at 5000 rpm. Noticeable in 3rd but especially 4th.
Well, on 4 blasts up through 3rd gear it was not apparent. It is a little intermittent and I didn't get a chance to do the same in 4th (only ever do that on private runways anyway) so I will know better when I get the chance to test this.

I didn't see the point in a retest of the emissions (incase I found them to be worse).

As for mpg I'll see over the next few weeks and post an update.

Overall, similar experience to others on here if less dramatic. Was it worth it? Mpg will tell.

Ian

ROZER
Tuesday 26th March 2013, 22:48
where did you go for the terraclean Ian is this guy local .

Squirtydog
Tuesday 26th March 2013, 22:54
Mobile unit. Comes to you. Clurgys services

07704 028449

ROZER
Wednesday 27th March 2013, 00:44
Mobile unit. Comes to you. Clurgys services

07704 028449

Cheers Ian will be getting this done soon . If you go on there website and look at the video the guy doing the clean is frank massey from ads tuning in preston he was the guy who put my rica map on my s60 small world.

MIKESC70T5
Wednesday 27th March 2013, 06:58
Well i dont have an angle gear (i dont think) and mines auto so fingers crossed i am ok ;-)

My advice for performance increase would be get a manual first :saythat: lol.

Squirtydog
Wednesday 27th March 2013, 15:02
Well did a further run today.

Several hard acceleration runs up past 5,000rpm in 4th gear - where it was really noticeable as a definite pause in acceleration and rough engine note...
...not a hint of anything. Just sails on to 6,000.

So as far as value for money compared with several hours labour just looking for the source of the issue. Good value for money.

Did retest emissions today however
CO
pre 0.00%
post 0.00%

HC
pre 1ppm
post 6ppm

O2sensor
pre 1.001
post 1.006

So a little worse. But likely within the margin of error and not that there was any room for improvement.

Harvey
Wednesday 27th March 2013, 15:52
The engine ecu can take a little while to learn the new readings,and I guess you haven't been driving like a 70 year old might.

Squirtydog
Wednesday 27th March 2013, 18:57
The engine ecu can take a little while to learn the new readings,and I guess you haven't been driving like a 70 year old might.

Perhaps not.

Squirtydog
Thursday 28th March 2013, 18:31
Ok. Off the original topic but no point in a fresh thread for this.

My top engine mount bush is shot. Just ordered the poly bush from kalmar union. On confirmation of the order there was a message in Latin. Google translate gives it as...

"This page is available, please contact us. The entrance gate is not a bed of geological drilling. About the time she bows. No items. Select a comment. You start sometimes wise. We said, no more mourning employee dui free automated test, or comprehensive indicators was the funnies. But my. Read more economic resources. Now different, to laughter in the hotel today, more than ever, nor, it is summarized here and here. More members of the local temperature."

Erm?