PDA

View Full Version : C70-starts and stalls, then won't start. Any ideas?

foammanmark
Wednesday 20th March 2013, 20:27
Did it on Saturday once, and today 3 times. Starts and immediately stalls, and then won't start at all. Leave for a few secs., try again and it usually starts and is fine then. ME7 T5 engine.

Any ideas what the issue may be please?

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 20th March 2013, 20:46
Massive airleak would be where I would look. Have you blown an IC pipe off? If its not that then we need codes - possible CPS fault? (crank position sensor).

foammanmark
Wednesday 20th March 2013, 20:49
Not that I know of, but I shall take a look in the morning thanks. She hasn't been used for a full month, but this happened last year for a while and seemed to sort itself. Service due soon as well.

deathrider311271
Wednesday 20th March 2013, 20:56
my money is on one of three things, cam sensor, crank sensor or immobiliser ring, but as Dave has already said it needs a code read. Any dash lights on Mark?

foammanmark
Wednesday 20th March 2013, 20:59
my money is on one of three things, cam sensor, crank sensor or immobiliser ring, but as Dave has already said it needs a code read. Any dash lights on Mark?

No lights on at the mo., but I'll get her checked for codes when she has a service in the next month or so.

partsforvolvos.com
Thursday 21st March 2013, 09:46
immobiliser ring. try a spare key if you have one first.
Also, if you have any other chip keys for a second car on the same keyring remove it .
the rings are not expensive.

Wobbly Dave
Friday 22nd March 2013, 12:11
I have a spare ring you can have for postage only.

foammanmark
Friday 22nd March 2013, 15:05
immobiliser ring. try a spare key if you have one first.
Also, if you have any other chip keys for a second car on the same keyring remove it .
the rings are not expensive.

Cheers for that. I don't think I have a spare key for the C70 but will check first.

foammanmark
Friday 22nd March 2013, 15:06
I have a spare ring you can have for postage only.

Thanks WD. I'll come back to you on that.

Brett855tdi
Friday 22nd March 2013, 16:48
Sounds like immobiliser to me... start and stall then not start, reminds me of my old rover 100... had to use the fob button every time to start.

I dont know if the volvo has one but usually you get a key shaped light on the dash light up

CJ83
Wednesday 27th March 2013, 16:38
I had this problem with my bike last year and I'm with the other guys on saying that it could be cam shaft sensor. That's what it was with my bike. It was a real b***h of a fault as it didn't do it all the time just now and again. Would get it running and the stall instantly then wouldn't start again, leave it half an hour or so and bang away it would go and run and start and stop no problem at all for the rest of the day, week or month then bang it would be away again. Intermittent faults they are the worst.

Hope you get it sorted bud.

foammanmark
Wednesday 27th March 2013, 17:39
I had this problem with my bike last year and I'm with the other guys on saying that it could be cam shaft sensor. That's what it was with my bike. It was a real b***h of a fault as it didn't do it all the time just now and again. Would get it running and the stall instantly then wouldn't start again, leave it half an hour or so and bang away it would go and run and start and stop no problem at all for the rest of the day, week or month then bang it would be away again. Intermittent faults they are the worst.

Hope you get it sorted bud.

Cheers for the above, and I'll post up when I know what the issue was. It's done it again today 2-3 times, and when I first started her this morning which she hasn't done before. I stop and start the car probably 8-10 times a day when I use her for work, so it's getting to about half the times that I start the engine that this happens now. Service shortly, so I'm trying to get through until then.

CJ83
Wednesday 18th September 2013, 16:19
What was the fault in the end?

foammanmark
Wednesday 18th September 2013, 19:03
What was the fault in the end?

TBH, I've still got the problem. Due to a large bill on my V70 R, the C70 won't be going in for it's service etc. until next month. I will post up if I find out what it was.

tichai
Thursday 19th September 2013, 07:34
I have the same problem on my C70, I remove the key, lock the car for a minute and try again. 9/10 times it then starts and runs perfectly.

I had a fault code that pointed to the immobiliser ring so now have a shiny new one to fit this weekend :)

Brett855tdi
Thursday 19th September 2013, 09:17
Funny thing was as soon as i listed that comment... mine started doing it (pre ME7)
It will always choose its most embarrassing time to do.. like outside the shop whilst someone is looking at it.
Can anyone recommend a way of getting the key coded (i want to produce a spare) i can get it cut not a problem its just getting it coded?
Also does anyone know if the ring fault code comes up on the torque app?

partsforvolvos.com
Thursday 19th September 2013, 14:39
what model year is your car brett?

1999 on needs software, up to 1998 is done with handheld tool and pin code.
basically, both done at volvo but not expensive.
if they tried to charge u more than £40 all in for the software, its too expensive.
the pin, if u smile nicely or are a regualr it might be free.

foammanmark
Thursday 19th September 2013, 17:19
Funny thing was as soon as i listed that comment... mine started doing it (pre ME7)
It will always choose its most embarrassing time to do.. like outside the shop whilst someone is looking at it.
Can anyone recommend a way of getting the key coded (i want to produce a spare) i can get it cut not a problem its just getting it coded?
Also does anyone know if the ring fault code comes up on the torque app?

Lol, know exactly what you mean. Mine has done it after filling up several times now. So I just sit there on the forecourt until she eventually starts. Embarrassing.

Blackdog
Friday 20th September 2013, 06:56
I would agree on the ignition ring antenna. When it happens take the key out and turn it over then try.
Works on ours 9 times out of ten.
As has been said they are not expensive and the hardest part about fitting is getting the lower part of the steering column cowling off and back on.
We are on our third one in 6 years I think it is.