PDA

View Full Version : how do you identify an actual 19t!!!

theflyingbrick
Sunday 17th March 2013, 22:46
ok so im having some issues with my car,i recently fitted a "custom 19t" and tbh im not overly impressed!! now ive got some niggles in my mind and im going to address them in due course,but the first thing is im pretty sure before i put it on i tried to spin the compressor wheel but it was very resistant,i just thought it was because it was recently rebuilt but ive read that it shouldnt be so,i now know what the torque settings are for the nut that holds it on and im hoping this sorts it all out.....but......what ive got isnt an oem 19t but built to the same spec as one "apperently" so what im looking for is the measurements and dimensions of what it should be so when i take the whole unit off i can do some poking about just to make sure it is what it is supposed to be so if any of you lovely lot know what the wheel etc etc should measure then please.....dont be shy ;)

merc85
Sunday 17th March 2013, 23:08
The compressor wheel should not be notchy or tight even if its bin rebuilt. It should be smooth in rotation.

merc85
Sunday 17th March 2013, 23:13

This is a 19t Volvo wheel

nobananas
Sunday 17th March 2013, 23:31
The tightness of the compressor wheel nut won't have any effect on the tightness of the shaft as it doesn't control any pre load. It may spin more freely if you back it off but this is only because it's likely to be relieving the pressure off something that's not sitting or assembled correctly.

theflyingbrick
Sunday 17th March 2013, 23:33
cheers gav,its not notchy but im pretty sure it was tight so im gonna loosen the nut then torque it to the correct setting...having said that i might be being a tad paranoid but iwant to make sure its ok,so while its off if it isnt tight then i can check its the right spec!! coz tbh im really not impressed with it,if it is a 19t :( maybe im expecting too much i dont know,but im gonna start again and double check everything to make sure its all ship shape ;)

theflyingbrick
Sunday 17th March 2013, 23:37
The tightness of the compressor wheel nut won't have any effect on the tightness of the shaft as it doesn't control any pre load. It may spin more freely if you back it off but this is only because it's likely to be relieving the pressure off something that's not sitting or assembled correctly.

oh really!! ok so im gonna have to strip it down and double check you reckon?? i got my dad to drive it before i strip it down to get a second opinion and he said the same thing,it just feels like its not pulling like it should sort of like theres a potato stuck up the exhaust!! he said if thats what a 19t is then hes glad he only paid out for 16t!! so its defo not right :(

edit. just found your rebuild thread,im hoping this is the same issue im having,time will tell.

Kingsford G
Sunday 17th March 2013, 23:42
Just remembered,is it the turbo the seller bought from Japan and had problems with then desided to rebuild and sold to u?

Yosser
Monday 18th March 2013, 16:04
I've no idea what turbo you have, but if it's any help you cant just use any core to convert to a 19T - the core is unique to the 19T as it's got a larger recess to accommodate the compressor wheel.

This video from ARD might help show you what I mean, they do a 19T conversion wheel which means you can use any core.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA2CMih9iy8

T5frankie
Monday 18th March 2013, 16:14
all tdo4 turbos have stamps mine says td04-19t on it

lance
Monday 18th March 2013, 16:18
It should drive normall upto around 2700 Rpm then it should feel like a t5 however at 3000 Rpm it should really fly. Interestingly back in the old days the 15g quicker spool up often resulted in quicker standing 1/4 times than the 19t cars although the 19t always had higher terminal speed!

p fandango
Monday 18th March 2013, 17:09
Interestingly back in the old days the 15g quicker spool up often resulted in quicker standing 1/4 times than the 19t cars although the 19t always had higher terminal speed!
I remember when the top 1/4milers were all autos as well because they could get off the line easier, back in the days of Bobcat etc lol

theflyingbrick
Monday 18th March 2013, 19:16
thanks for input fellas i took a look at my ting tong from tooting turbo and it is indeed the same as a 19t,its not the conversion wheel as in the video above,it has the compressor housing honed to fit so im satisfied its the same spec as a 19t with the added bonus of the billet wheel uprated bearings and race step gap seals......its no longer an issue as i found the problem that was causing the original concern...fixed it...and it flipping flys,it pulls like a train on steroids right through the rev range and just keeps giving and giving and giving im over the moon with it and i dont care its not oem im just happy it works ;)

T5frankie
Monday 18th March 2013, 19:17
thanks for input fellas i took a look at my ting tong from tooting turbo and it is indeed the same as a 19t,its not the conversion wheel as in the video above,it has the compressor housing honed to fit so im satisfied its the same spec as a 19t with the added bonus of the billet wheel uprated bearings and race step gap seals......its no longer an issue as i found the problem that was causing the original concern...fixed it...and it flipping flys,it pulls like a train on steroids right through the rev range and just keeps giving and giving and giving im over the moon with it and i dont care its not oem im just happy it works ;)

see you at avon then!

p fandango
Monday 18th March 2013, 19:22
Glad it's sorted, have you got a 3" throttle body as I found the 19t very laggy without it (nearly swopped back to the 15g it was that bad)

t5steve
Monday 18th March 2013, 19:23
Well done brick..........you can start enjoying your car now
P.s nice splitter........looks good

theflyingbrick
Monday 18th March 2013, 19:27
see you at avon then!

no you wont lol

Glad it's sorted, have you got a 3" throttle body as I found the 19t very laggy without it (nearly swopped back to the 15g it was that bad)

yes mate got 3" tb and rip kit tbh it is a bit laggy but once your rolling theres none between gear changes ;)

Well done brick..........you can start enjoying your car now
P.s nice splitter........looks good

cheers steve i was close to putting a hammer to it tbh but i found 3 yes 3 vacuum pipes off just hanging about doing nowt lol its a different car now!! and the splitters alright i suppose not bad for something i just happened to have lying around ;)