PDA

View Full Version : Meetup at SW AUTOS

highgun
Wednesday 12th October 2005, 20:43
Hi all,

SW autos are having a meetup on the 16th oct. some members from here are going, so the more the better.

Link to thread:

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=14898&mode=full&page=

All the best,

Tony.

Al115
Wednesday 12th October 2005, 21:20
I'll be there myself.

Andrew
Wednesday 12th October 2005, 21:22
I'll be there myself.

Unfortunatly I can't be which is a shame cos I think it would be a great op to get underneath the new car and check her out.

Enjoy your day guys!

SaffronC70
Wednesday 12th October 2005, 21:44
I'll be there ! Be good to catch up with people once again !

Chris

MartinK
Wednesday 12th October 2005, 22:08
Hmmm, that's the day I pick up my C70 from north London. It'd only be a short drive......

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 12th October 2005, 22:10
Look at the car and make your own minds up??

http://www.swautos.co.uk/month.html

owned and raced by the man himself. Funny that I didnt realise that there was a race series for NOS powered cars?

SaffronC70
Wednesday 12th October 2005, 22:35
What's that post referring to Wobbly ?

Martin, you got to bring that new car of your to see us !

Chris

MartinK
Wednesday 12th October 2005, 22:59
Martin, you got to bring that new car of your to see us !Are you sure? I mean it must be a bit of a pariah in amongst present company. After all, it is absolutely BOG STANDARD! Oh, the horror! :yikes:

volvotuning
Wednesday 12th October 2005, 23:11
Funny that I didnt realise that there was a race series for NOS powered cars?

Maybe he races without NOS.

Adam.

Martinr
Thursday 13th October 2005, 09:37
"Maybe he races without NOS."

Then how does he smell?

Sorry couldn't resist it!

Green T5R
Thursday 13th October 2005, 10:19
Look at the car and make your own minds up??

http://www.swautos.co.uk/month.html

owned and raced by the man himself. Funny that I didnt realise that there was a race series for NOS powered cars?

So Stuarts spent alot of time and money in the car to make it what it is.

I have seen the car but not been driven in it but I've heard and watched it disapear into the distance.

It is a wonderful piece of engineering and shows us all what can be done to most of our cars. we should all have a look and learn from what kinda performance can be got from a T5.

Regards

Iain

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.
Robert Heinlein (1907 - 1988)

Al115
Thursday 13th October 2005, 10:34
It is the quickest car I have ever been in bar none.

Not sure it suits the daily driver though. :)

elliot
Thursday 13th October 2005, 10:38
Is anybody going down the A21 past the sevenoaks turn,let me know.I also know my way there ;)

spesh
Friday 14th October 2005, 21:25
Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.
Robert Heinlein (1907 - 1988)
How right is that, lololololololol.
Man after my own heart, lolllol

elliot
Friday 14th October 2005, 22:45
So no one else traveling down from my way then :insane: ,looks like i will be croozin on my own then lol.

siamblue
Saturday 15th October 2005, 15:28
So no one else traveling down from my way then :insane: ,looks like i will be croozin on my own then lol.

Not sure what way i am going yet but will let you know in due course ;)

Engineer
Saturday 15th October 2005, 15:35
Not sure what way i am going yet but will let you know in due course ;)

Don't pick another Esso garage :B_thumb:

siamblue
Saturday 15th October 2005, 15:39
Don't pick another Esso garage :B_thumb:

Hahaha It was there 2 months ago with yellow lines, It was a shock to me too.

highgun
Saturday 15th October 2005, 18:15
I will be leaving at around 11am M25 j25 (A10) via Dartford and on to M20, and will be happy to join up with anyone on route

Tony.

siamblue
Saturday 15th October 2005, 20:17
I will be leaving at around 11am M25 j25 (A10) via Dartford and on to M20, and will be happy to join up with anyone on route

Tony.

Tony i will pm you later when Iain gets in contact, otherwise you want to meet up at 11.15am at Thurrock services?

highgun
Saturday 15th October 2005, 20:52
Hi Gary,

11:15 might be a bit to early for me. Have a few things to do first thing, but if you pm your mobile number, I will call you in the morning to let you know.

Tony.

siamblue
Saturday 15th October 2005, 21:17
Hi Gary,

11:15 might be a bit to early for me. Have a few things to do first thing, but if you pm your mobile number, I will call you in the morning to let you know.

Tony.

Tony ignore that pm i sent you, look like i will be at Thurrock from 1045 as that is what time Iain will be in that vicinity,

Gary

simonc
Saturday 15th October 2005, 22:02
I may drop in as i am going to the folks for Sunday lunch & they live about 5 miles from SW autos. Depends if i can leave the kids with my parents whilst i slip out for a couple of hours !

Simon.

highgun
Saturday 15th October 2005, 22:56
Tony ignore that pm i sent you, look like i will be at Thurrock from 1045 as that is what time Iain will be in that vicinity,

Gary

Ok I will see you at SW Autos, I should be there at around 12:00 - 12:30

Tony.

highgun
Sunday 16th October 2005, 08:30
I may drop in as i am going to the folks for Sunday lunch & they live about 5 miles from SW autos. Depends if i can leave the kids with my parents whilst i slip out for a couple of hours !

Simon.

Simon,

Some people will be travelling over 150 miles to attend this meet, so it would be rude not to if you are only 5 miles away!

Why not bring the kids with you? They are more than welcome.

Hope to see you there,

Tony.

simonc
Sunday 16th October 2005, 08:40
Will try to get there, what time is it on till ?

Simon.

siamblue
Sunday 16th October 2005, 10:27
Will try to get there, what time is it on till ?

Simon.

12-4pm

I will be leaving in the next 15 minutes, Will meet you there.

rottertron
Sunday 16th October 2005, 10:59
Shame ive been busy this week, and not logged on for a while otherwise I would of liked to go. As ive had to take the other halves motorbike to the place where she is doing her CBT. Bummer!!!!

Al115
Sunday 16th October 2005, 22:28
Good to see so many faces and Volvos, I got a bunch of photos which I will post up soon....

siamblue
Monday 17th October 2005, 01:12
Great day out lots of nice shiney cars, Another top blke that loves to work on our cars, Glad he sorted Chris's problem out, wastegate flutter i ask :slap:

Al115
Monday 17th October 2005, 08:51
So here is my favourite photo from the day... more to follow.

elliot
Monday 17th October 2005, 11:22
Yes great day lots of nice cars.My first time in a 19T powered car thanks Chris,pulled strong.

SaffronC70
Monday 17th October 2005, 20:26
Elliot, good job I found my turbo was coming off before giving her a run like that !

Chris

Engineer
Monday 17th October 2005, 21:05
Maintenance is everything mate :smileypul Only joking nice car.

SaffronC70
Monday 17th October 2005, 21:28
lol ! yes indeed.

It's back on though, no harm done thankfully - just getting to the bottom of how it came off !

Chris

Justin
Monday 17th October 2005, 21:35
I had the same problem with mine, and i believe many people do, the bolts tend to slacken off when the turbo heats up to like 500° and then cools down, expands and retracts, 3 times mine had to be tightened :(

SaffronC70
Monday 17th October 2005, 21:38
Cool - was that downpipe side or manifold side out of interest ?

Chris

Justin
Monday 17th October 2005, 21:41
Chris i honestly dont know, just given a report when it was done :(

Andrew
Monday 17th October 2005, 21:47
Has a similar problem with mine. Had the dealer stick some nylon threaded nuts/washers on to hopefully stop them coming off again.

Justin
Monday 17th October 2005, 21:53
Yeah i think thats what i had to do with mine, Mark AKA Mulletboy now has the car in question, he may know the answer to your question Chris :)

Engineer
Monday 17th October 2005, 22:05
Not wishing to teach you guys how to suck eggs, but once the hardware (nuts & bolts) work loose, you will be forever tightening up, so junk it and fit new. Remember there's hardware and then there's quality hardware. Ask Arkwright at Open All Hours.:shockedbi

Andrew
Monday 17th October 2005, 22:19
Just to confirm mine had 2 new ones and it was the exahust side of the turbo.

elliot
Monday 17th October 2005, 22:35
The problem occurs not because of the heat but because of the nuts and studs that are used,if you dont use a stud of the right tensile strengh as it expands and contracts due to thermal movement it comes loose,you cannot just use any old lock nut lol.They fall off because people take short cuts when fitting and dont fit the studs and nuts from volvo due to the cost circa £4 a nut and they are that cost because of the grade of steel used!
Chris you also need to check the studs on the DP as i saw one that was not in far enough with just a normal lock nut on it that was'nt even on the nylon :slap: these people need shooting.If you dont put the rigth studs into the turbo it will be a pain in the arse in a couple of years if you want to take the studs out fo some reason.

SaffronC70
Monday 17th October 2005, 22:39
Cheers for playing with my nuts btw Elliot - appreciated.

hehe

Chris

Andrew
Monday 17th October 2005, 22:40
Cheers for playing with my nuts btw Elliot - appreciated.

hehe

Chris

Sooooo that's why you don't have a girlfriend... each to their own mate :remybussi

SaffronC70
Monday 17th October 2005, 22:42
lmao ! it seems everything touching the turbo is wrong !

It needs a new oil return seal as well.

Chris

Green T5R
Monday 17th October 2005, 22:58
There is no greater mistake than the hasty conclusion that opinions are worthless because they are badly argued.
Thomas H. Huxley (1825 - 1895)

Regards

Iain

mulletboy2
Monday 17th October 2005, 22:59
I think the nuts coming loose on Nookie are the manifold side, but am probably wrong. I think the nuts have been replaced twice since I've had her, but they've certainly been tightened a few times. May well try some of the Volvo ones as I'm not having any luck currently. Only other option is a friend's said he might be able to get some rods that clamp to 2 nuts per rod made up - they use them at work for their extreme heat resiliance applications, due to the same problems with regular nuts... but that's a last resort, as it means I have to figure out the dimensions for the thing and let him know, and that sounds like hassle! :D

Engineer
Monday 17th October 2005, 23:10
Mine have just dropped will this be a problem when I grow up? :hilarious

Al115
Tuesday 18th October 2005, 07:52
No useful content being posted here... thread closed.

I have viewed the thread this morning and removed posts that the mods have deemed as derogatory or otherwise offtopic; the thread is open again :)

SaffronC70
Tuesday 18th October 2005, 19:29
wow, quality pics ! Reminds me how many cars did turn up !

I never got a video of my drive-by though !

Chris

Al115
Tuesday 18th October 2005, 19:30
Yeah 'cos I had to leave before you got your car on the road :)

siamblue
Wednesday 19th October 2005, 00:50
Really nice pics Al, Can't believe two Guls turn up as well nice....

Andrew
Wednesday 19th October 2005, 01:00
Really nice pics Al, Can't belive to Guls turn up as well nice....

I've lost the link for the pictures... heeeelllp :)