PDA

View Full Version : ajusting waste gate, can anyone explain what its all about please

no1tosh
Sunday 17th March 2013, 16:40
right i keep reading about turning a wastegate rod in 3 turns to up my turbo presure.
now some threads say its ok with 3 turns and others say it could damage my engine and the ecu won't ajust the fueling to acomadate.

so whats the crack, the reason i ask is my t5 does'nt seem that fast. when the turbo comes on it just seems the same boost right up to 5,000rmp.
i thought it would come on and get proggressivly stronger.

cheers

Santa
Sunday 17th March 2013, 16:44
Think it ultimately depends on how tight the wastegate currently is. I'd probably approach it more cautiously and do smaller adjustments with testing in between

volvokid
Sunday 17th March 2013, 17:00
I personally wouldn't touch anything like that. I would leave it to a tuner, I dont think its worth damaging the engine.

theflyingbrick
Sunday 17th March 2013, 17:03
depending on what t5 it is but if its an 850 with the standard 15g then thats how it is!! it'll kick in and feel great but dies off higher up the rev range,its only a small turbo so it gets hot pretty quick and then basically once its spooling it just blows hot air so you lose the boosting power.

if its all standard then i would say adjust it to standard..iirc when the wastegate is fully closed the actuator arm fits over it without any friction or resistance,and then turn it back half a turn..this should give you the standard pre tension required,then try it and see where its boosting to on the dashboard boost gauge and take it from there,hope this helps ;)

nobananas
Sunday 17th March 2013, 18:11
Just done mine on my freshly rebuilt 16t. What you have to do is set the wastegate at it's base pressure. The easiest way to do this is with a spare boost gauge (or I bought a cheap air pressure gauge which only went up to something like 10 psi.) some tubing, a t-piece and an ordinary footpump.
Disconnect the wastegate actuator arm from the wastegate, then connect your footpump to the wastegate with the T-piece in between and your gauge connected to the other end of the T-piece. Pump some pressure into the actuator and it should start to move and the pressure should increase. My footpump didn't have a non return valve in it so I pumped slightly more pressure in then was required then pinched the hose off just after the footpump, then slowly bled the pressure off until it reached the required base setting pressure (in my case 4-4.3 psi) and pinched off the hose. Then you adjust the wastegate rod end until it just slips over the wastegate pin.

Setting pressures can be found here
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?49489-16T-actuator-question

no1tosh
Sunday 17th March 2013, 19:09
nice one guys, well i just had a go but couldnt free off the 10mm on the arm so gave up anyway i took off the boost pipe to get the heat sheild off.
anyway before i took it off it looked a bit squew wiff so put it back properly and it now goes like a scalled cat.

whayyyy hahha

thanks again