PDA

View Full Version : Audio head unit that plays MP3s. Options?

MartinK
Wednesday 12th October 2005, 16:43
Both my current cars have head units that play MP3s off of data CD-Rs.

I'm going to want the same functionality in my 2001 'Y' C70 convertible T5 GT, once I've picked it up.

I know some cars have extra things built into their stereos, like alarm systems and stuff.

Can I fit a lovely flashy new head unit and not break anything? Are there any makes of facia adaptors and cable adaptors that people can recommend?

No, I don't own an iPod or anything like that.

M44K TS
Wednesday 12th October 2005, 19:04
Autoleads will do a wiring harness adaptor i would have thought. Go to Halfords and see if they do one for the C70

MartinK
Wednesday 12th October 2005, 20:53
Hmmm, I'm intruiged by the options in this thread (http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=4781).

So the standard head unit is just an audio device then? That makes things quite easy.

Paul ABZ
Wednesday 12th October 2005, 21:59
Look on eBay for FM TRANSMITTER. This will allow you to transmit the MP3 player of your choice onto the onboard FM stereo. No wiring needed!!

I have one of these from these guys (http://stores.ebay.co.uk/365auctions-Shop_FM-Transmitters_W0QQssPageNameZVIStoreHeaderLinksQQtZ km?) it is the black one that fits in the cigar lighter. Cheap as chips and quick delivery as well.

Performance is great, 4 selectable TX frequencies (I use only 106.7 MHZ) and the range is ....brilliant. I can have it running in the house, and stereo can be picked up about 100 yards away easily. You can play your MP3 through your hi-fi FM system in the house and it sounds great. Not hi-fi but very acceptable to my ears, and sounds good in the car which is the main thing.

It simply works. Imagine being able to pull up alongside your mates and they can all tune into your sounds. Cool (but illegal in the UK I think hee hee!) :B_censore

MartinK
Thursday 10th November 2005, 16:48
I just thought I'd re-visit this thread again.

I've pulled the head unit out (I believe it's an SC900), and it looks like the car has been fitted with a separate amplifier and a sub. The connections are totally different from the Pioneer unit I've been looking at.

The pioneer's pre-outs are phono connections, but the amp cable plugged into the sc900 is a 6-pin DIN plug.

So I'm thinking now about the Alpine 6disk changer that plays MP3s. Firstly, I've not been able to confirm that it works with the sc900. Does anyone know? All I can see is that it works with the sc700, sc800, sc801, sc802 and sc805.

Also, if I went down this road, would the MP3 track names appear on the sc900's LCD display?

I believe the amplifier is something Volvo fitted as an extra option. Does anyone know what model(s) of amplifier it could be? I'll need some specs to see if I could use the pioneer with it instead.

TedBovis
Thursday 10th November 2005, 17:30
interesting.....I've just had a little scan around the web and found a few bits about the setup you are refering to, sounds like a great idea..if it works......hopefully somebody will know for sure :)

Here is one of the changers...

http://www.alpine-europe.com/content/english/a513.det.CHA-S634_6-Disc-CD---MP3-Changer.htm

anybody know more about the Ai-NET or M-Bus compatability*, as in what does it mean ????? (Requires KCA-130B adaptor for M-Bus Application) I guess if the volvo head unit is compatable with the protocols it should work! maybe... you could buy one and let me know ;)

the_boy
Thursday 10th November 2005, 17:40
You need the Vol2alp interface to connect from the SC900 HU to connect to the KCA130B which in turns connect to the CD Changer eg. Alpine CHA-S634