PDA

View Full Version : ABS sensor signal.....

oblark
Tuesday 12th March 2013, 10:14
I`m after some help for my next project, I need a relay to energized when the my 96 850 moving.

Can I use the signal from the ABS sensor ?

What is the voltage from the ABS sensor ?

Or can I tap into the speedo signal ?

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 12th March 2013, 10:24
ABS sensor will almost certainly need inteerpretation if you splice it as it is an inducted signal from the reluctor rings.

Probably easiest to tap off the wires coming out of the ABS ECU. I know for a fact that when disconnected the speedo doesn't work so logically the speed signal comes from that. As to which loom from the multi plug is the right one - well I guess you'd have to read the wiring diagram. Speedo signal is probably easier, but I doubt it will be constant.

nobananas
Tuesday 12th March 2013, 10:25
Interesting one that, seeing as both the ABS and speedo use hall sensors I'm not sure how you could use the signal to pull a relay in.

JT
Tuesday 12th March 2013, 10:38
does it need to be linked to the ecu??
try something stand alone, for example:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercury-Tilt-Switch-1A-12VDC-Encapsulated-MSW1E-3pcs-/250721746794?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Suppl ies_ET&hash=item3a602e3f6a

nobananas
Tuesday 12th March 2013, 10:40
It may be easier to fit an additional hall sensor and magnet that reads off the inner c/v joint (like they often do for after market dash fitments on kit cars etc) then adapt the signal from that to pull in your relay, at least that way there is no issue with it interfering with your speedo or abs.

nobananas
Tuesday 12th March 2013, 10:41
does it need to be linked to the ecu??
try something stand alone, for example:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercury-Tilt-Switch-1A-12VDC-Encapsulated-MSW1E-3pcs-/250721746794?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Suppl ies_ET&hash=item3a602e3f6a

I'd thought mercury tilt switch too but then it would also turn off when braking.

oblark
Tuesday 12th March 2013, 11:14
It may be easier to fit an additional hall sensor and magnet that reads off the inner c/v joint (like they often do for after market dash fitments on kit cars etc) then adapt the signal from that to pull in your relay, at least that way there is no issue with it interfering with your speedo or abs.

Didn`t think of a stand alone unit,

Off to comb through ebay :)

Brett855tdi
Tuesday 12th March 2013, 19:29
£1 micro switch on the handbrake or throttle?

oblark
Tuesday 12th March 2013, 19:35
£1 micro switch on the handbrake or throttle?

The relay needs to de-energize when the car is standing still with the engine running :)

JT
Tuesday 12th March 2013, 20:15
your yet to explain your idea???:confused:

oblark
Tuesday 12th March 2013, 20:23
your yet to explain your idea???:confused:

All will be revealed at the weekend :)