PDA

View Full Version : Max revs on geartronic R

Nev
Sunday 10th March 2013, 10:32
Morning,

Anyone with a geartronic out there, not sure if just an R.
What will it rev to through the gears?
Mine loses power at about 6k, bit like driving a diesel only faster. I've tried it in drive, manual, and with S button. Never seems to rev higher.
There doesn't seem to be a boost problem such as any split pipes as it pulls like a train up to those revs as a VXR owner found out last week. He shouldn't have tried to play with the men, even if it's a volvo...
New coil packs, plugs, oil change etc.
I don't think it's anything to do with fuel pressure either as it does the same on petrol or LPG, both separate delivery systems so not going to show same prob.

Is this normal for these gear boxes, it's my first auto Volvo for a few years and the last one used to bounce off the rev limiter if you held it in gear, old 760GLE many moons ago.

Thanks in advance, Nev

T5frankie
Sunday 10th March 2013, 10:43
diesels rev to around 4.5-5k, what do you think it should rev to?

stribo
Sunday 10th March 2013, 10:56
You're never going to find any useable power beyond 6K unless you buy a V-TEC engined Honda. ;)

Nev
Sunday 10th March 2013, 12:31
It's not so much useable power, it has no power. It will not hit the rev limiter, it's like the engine drops all boost.
The red line is at approx 7k so I expect to get that, useable or not.
All of my other cars rev hard right through the range, all turbos, all fast.

graemewelch
Sunday 10th March 2013, 14:34
your welcome to pop up mate and ill read your codes for you. its not a flash code reader but might show sumit

volvokid
Sunday 10th March 2013, 21:25
That's defenetly not normal, I know with the standard map the power will drop off with the manual but you can still hit the limiter no problem if you wanted to that is.

timbo_1975
Sunday 10th March 2013, 21:28
Cat melted and blocking exhaust?

jdavis
Sunday 10th March 2013, 21:30
I can hit limiter in my geartronic t5 in manual mode. When in auto it changes just before. 7k iirc.

Nev
Monday 11th March 2013, 14:11
I can hit limiter in my geartronic t5 in manual mode. When in auto it changes just before. 7k iirc.

Thanks, that's what I needed to know. I shall look for split hoses on a nice day. Too cold today and snowy, not car fixing weather.

Graeme, I have read codes and nothing shows up, but I may pop along one day anyway, yours may read differently to mine, and we can have a bit chat.

Interesting thought about the cat too, one can never tell but it's coming off as soon as I can be bothered to make a decat pipe to fit.
I may give the air filter a good blow out too, it has a cone filter on, possibly causing issues.

M-R-P
Monday 11th March 2013, 14:30
The pipes for the recirc and actuator would be worth a good look.

graemewelch
Monday 11th March 2013, 18:14
Thanks, that's what I needed to know. I shall look for split hoses on a nice day. Too cold today and snowy, not car fixing weather.

Graeme, I have read codes and nothing shows up, but I may pop along one day anyway, yours may read differently to mine, and we can have a bit chat.

Interesting thought about the cat too, one can never tell but it's coming off as soon as I can be bothered to make a decat pipe to fit.
I may give the air filter a good blow out too, it has a cone filter on, possibly causing issues.

got one in the garage ready to go. 3" fully tig welded

Nev
Sunday 17th March 2013, 11:25
got one in the garage ready to go. 3" fully tig welded

Cheers Graeme, I may chat about that too sometime, but at the moment, although I need to remove mine, I have so much on that it will have to wait a little.
The gearbox on one of my other toys needs changing first.

graemewelch
Sunday 17th March 2013, 12:21
whats the other toy.im still suprised i havnt seen your motor about, should stand out

Nev
Monday 18th March 2013, 07:49
The one that needs a gearbox is a Saab 900 Ruby, then there are others too. A flat front Saab 9000 Carlsson, running around 280bhp, and of all things an old Nova saloon, obviously lowered etc etc but only 1.4.