PDA

View Full Version : Hardly any clutch pedal

hoocher09
Saturday 9th March 2013, 19:12
Hi can anybody give me any advice on the best method of bleeding a hydraulic clutch on a 2001 C70 T5 with a 5 speed 5 manual gearbox.
i have tried the usual one person pumping the pedal whilst i open/closed the bleed nipple, but i have next to no pedal travel from the floor before the clutch engages.
i have just replaced the gearbox.
please help.

T5frankie
Saturday 9th March 2013, 19:13
did you fit a new slave cylinder?

hoocher09
Saturday 9th March 2013, 19:15
Hi, yes.

Harvey
Saturday 9th March 2013, 19:17
Pressure bleeder they cost about £10 for the cheep ones ,or a trip down to b&q and get some plastic tube About 2 metre clear fit it on bleed nipple at bell housing then suck on tube and operate the clutch that's why you need clear tube stop when you see the fluid in it.

hoocher09
Saturday 9th March 2013, 19:22
Hi, what does the pressure bleeder give over the method i have tried?
I must admit i have not heard of the other method of sucking the fluid through! but after the day i've had i'll try anything. cheers

Harvey
Saturday 9th March 2013, 19:27
The pressure bleed will push the fluid out of the tank to the clutch slave nipple at about 10 psi,
Don't go above 10 psi or so ,as it can split the tank.

graemewelch
Saturday 9th March 2013, 19:39
my advise is dont pressure bleed. ive just had to remove a gearbox cause the slave cylinder siezed. 99% sure this was down to pressure bleeding. most places dont recoment it. ive even been warned against vacuum bleeding. start again. remove the pipe going to slave. leave it off untill fluid comes out with no bubbles. then attach t slave and bleed again.

T5frankie
Saturday 9th March 2013, 19:48
my advise is dont pressure bleed. ive just had to remove a gearbox cause the slave cylinder siezed. 99% sure this was down to pressure bleeding. most places dont recoment it. ive even been warned against vacuum bleeding. start again. remove the pipe going to slave. leave it off untill fluid comes out with no bubbles. then attach t slave and bleed again.
internal slave aint it?

hoocher09
Saturday 9th March 2013, 19:55
yes

Harvey
Saturday 9th March 2013, 19:55

Funny you say that I was working in a workshop that had done a brake fluid change on a skoda scout and damaged the ABS pump by doing a pressure bleed on it ,they found out afterwards they need to put it into service mode,before doing a fluid change.

graemewelch
Saturday 9th March 2013, 20:20
Funny you say that I was working in a workshop that had done a brake fluid change on a skoda scout and damaged the ABS pump by doing a pressure bleed on it ,they found out afterwards they need to put it into service mode,before doing a fluid change.

bad news those things. i know a lot of people swear by them but there not for me. i recently spent £40 on a vacuum bleeder but im unsure if it use that on a slave cylinder

Jamest5r
Saturday 9th March 2013, 21:01
You have top keep the fluid full to the brim in the resall the time and i mean full as there are 2 compartments in there and it will keep sucking in air otherwise, this stumped 4 blokes for 30 mins today and we checked everything trust me lol

hoocher09
Saturday 9th March 2013, 21:13
thanks we will give it another go tomorrow. cheers

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 9th March 2013, 22:21
Sorry Mark - I only just spotted this post. Hope all is well tomorrow. I trust you had no issues with the boxes being different?

hoocher09
Saturday 9th March 2013, 22:34
Dave box is in, only prob is the virtually non existent clutch pedal.

hows bettsie??

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 9th March 2013, 22:51
So far so good. 343 bhp and rising. Boost needs sorting and so does the fueling. New fuel pump & injectors going on in the coming week.

I trust everything will work out soon.

hoocher09
Sunday 10th March 2013, 10:28
Good news, your advice, kept the fluid topped up to the brim & took our time, just used the two man method, did not get a pressure bleeder after reading up about them, & we have a full pedal back again. Dave's second hand gear box is nice & quiet.
Cheers guys.

stribo
Sunday 10th March 2013, 10:29
Great news. :B_thumb:

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 10th March 2013, 15:19
Good news, your advice, kept the fluid topped up to the brim & took our time, just used the two man method, did not get a pressure bleeder after reading up about them, & we have a full pedal back again. Dave's second hand gear box is nice & quiet.
Cheers guys.

I am very happy you got the clutch sorted. I knew it was a good box but even so, I am much cheered to hear the confirmation.

V70 Graham
Sunday 10th March 2013, 15:51
Glad it's all worked out ok.