PDA

View Full Version : noticed there's no bodywork section, send your questions this way!!

no1tosh
Friday 8th March 2013, 20:34
as the title says, if anyone is struggling with any bodywork issues or wants any tips or advice feel free to ask me or send me a pm and i will try my best to help you out.

cheers

tosh

T5frankie
Friday 8th March 2013, 20:35
where are you based?

Jamest5r
Friday 8th March 2013, 20:36
Couple of thing's, are you talking dents/rust or detailing??

Where in the country are you would help :)

Jamest5r
Friday 8th March 2013, 20:37
Beaten by the yob again lol

V70 Graham
Friday 8th March 2013, 20:37
Beaten by the yob again lol

He's a quick yob lol

Santa
Friday 8th March 2013, 20:40
Closest section would be detailing. Suppose we could do a slight rename so it clearly applies to both

no1tosh
Friday 8th March 2013, 21:25
sorry, im based in bolton and i work for a place in bury near manchester, so its dints rust and paintwork ect.....
i know it a part of cars people struggle with and seen as im new to volvo's i can't really help answering most of the questions that are asked but, i can give a bit back by helping you all out with your body, paint and colour sanding/polishing questions.

Wobbly Dave
Friday 8th March 2013, 21:40
Wet sanding technique on stone chips with metallic paint. I've had a go - with limited success. I think the mistake I made was not cleaning the hole out with alcohol first.

no1tosh
Friday 8th March 2013, 21:48
i take it you mean, filling the chip with touch up paint first then sanding the build up off?

Wobbly Dave
Friday 8th March 2013, 21:54

Indeed - I have touch in pens (one silver & one top coat). I built it up so it was proud of the hole. Used 3000 grit to flat it back. Rotary polish with a cutting pad & menzerna IP to remove the sanding marks. problem was - I managed in certain places to burn through the surrounding top coat with the sanding.

rear bumper was subsequently repaired at the paint shop.

2nd photo - the chip was just the missing top coat - but still didn't come up as well as I'd hoped. You could still see the edge. Any tips?

no1tosh
Friday 8th March 2013, 22:15
the best thing you can do in that situation is use something called a rose, with is a small round block( cylinder) and you can get 1" disks to go on the bottom.
there perfect because you shouldnt sand the ajacent clear coat.

eather that or sometimes i use a run razor which you can get for about a fiver, and you can dial the blade down in 0.01mm increments until you can't feel the raised clear and then buff away

Wobbly Dave
Friday 8th March 2013, 23:12
picture?

no1tosh
Saturday 9th March 2013, 17:55
sorry could'nt get the pic's up but heres the links hope this helps

http://www.frost.co.uk/run-razor.html

http://www.spraygunsdirect.co.uk/product.php?tid=153&products_id=7227