PDA

View Full Version : Boost problem

sartain87
Thursday 7th March 2013, 20:25
So PCV has been replaced and all split hoses have been replaced as far as i know.

Basically my car hasn't been boosting properly, Frankie had a little play and got it to 8-10psi but some vacuum hoses needed replacing, hence doing PCV etc

The car comes on boost up to 10psi then its like the car hits a brick wall and wont boost anymore,

Apart from the actuator needing adjusting is there anything else that could be tried?

Many thanks.

nobananas
Thursday 7th March 2013, 20:38
I did have a very similar problem a while ago with a cheap pattern fuel pump, would accelerate fine if you pushed it gently but if you buried it it was like hitting a brick wall at about 3000 rpm ! Ditched the pump and all was well.

sartain87
Thursday 7th March 2013, 20:40
This does it all the time

After a google search it came up with this. Is this right?

"I have put a boost controller on with a factory boost solenoid. I didn't know you were supposed to delete it."

Does this need connecting?

deathrider311271
Thursday 7th March 2013, 21:00
you might get more replys if you tell us what model of 70 series car it is and if its pre ME7 or ME7.

sartain87
Thursday 7th March 2013, 21:13
V70R pre me7 phase 1

deathrider311271
Thursday 7th March 2013, 21:32
could be bcs, is it hesitant at all?? if so it could be knock sensors do you have a code reader? if so do some live reading and see what spark advance your getting, check what voltage your getting to the lambdas as well.

T5frankie
Thursday 7th March 2013, 21:45
could be bcs, is it hesitant at all?? if so it could be knock sensors do you have a code reader? if so do some live reading and see what spark advance your getting, check what voltage your getting to the lambdas as well.

its not the bcs, it does it with an mbc too

smithy
Thursday 7th March 2013, 21:53
Is the car mapped

sartain87
Thursday 7th March 2013, 21:54
Yeah HLM310

smithy
Thursday 7th March 2013, 21:58
Sounds like a boost leak or your actuator is nackered.or you could be getting pipe calapse by the tb .also check the recirt valve diafram

T5frankie
Thursday 7th March 2013, 22:00
Sounds like a boost leak or your actuator is nackered.or you could be getting pipe calapse by the tb .also check the recirt valve diafram

it aint got a re-circ or pipe collapse

sartain87
Thursday 7th March 2013, 22:08
Looks like its going down to the actuator then.

deathrider311271
Thursday 7th March 2013, 23:12
its not the actuator, from your description your getting boost/fuel cut which is controlled by the ecu, do you have access to a standard ecu?? if so put this in and see what happens. if the car runs fine on the standard ecu you know the chipped ecu is the problem (not the first time an ecu has failed)

T5frankie
Friday 8th March 2013, 05:22
It's not boost cut and we have tried a standard ecu already

deathrider311271
Friday 8th March 2013, 22:00
Frank can you do a list of the parts already tried please. Any codes??

sartain87
Friday 8th March 2013, 22:12
Had a snap on scanner on it today no codes,

As Frankie said he tried a few things,

Standard ecu, MBC adjusted a few times, fixed a boost leak, PCV has been replaced so hopefully no more boost leaks, replaced boost hoses as one split.

Could it be electrical? Spark plugs, distributor cap etc?

craigoodwood
Friday 8th March 2013, 23:29
is the throttle butterfly opening fully??
is it a pattern part maf??

sartain87
Saturday 9th March 2013, 08:08
Genuine maf, and when I cleaned the throttle I could open it fully manually

craigoodwood
Saturday 9th March 2013, 08:16
the cable might be slack or even a floor mat under the pedal??? they gotta have a throttle position sensor aint they :B_thumb:

T5frankie
Saturday 9th March 2013, 09:35
it could even be a clogged cat

MoleT-5R
Saturday 9th March 2013, 23:46
it could even be a clogged cat

That happened to mine collapsed/clogged cat, dropped the exhaust clamp of the turbo, took it up the road, bingo it was like a new car, then removed the cat and knocked the guts out of it and then popped it back on, all been grand since

sartain87
Sunday 10th March 2013, 00:07
Need a new exhaust making, so may come quicker than i thought haha

960kg
Sunday 10th March 2013, 15:48
You should get an error code up for Cat. Efficiency if it`s a problem but it won`t effect boost control!

Look at the pic. for an interesting read as if all your mechanical things and hoses are ok then before you blame the ECU you can read what the ECU needs for boost control.

The throttle sensor at the housing is important for "R`s" as depending what angle the plate is at you will get the extra boost for 9 secs!!!!

sartain87
Monday 11th March 2013, 16:37
Turns out it was the turbo control valve, so to who ever said that send me your address and ill get some gold reward stickers to you haha

But all in all I think it was a combination of things so thank you to Frankie and Tim Williams, looks like its sorted.

Fingers crossed!