PDA

View Full Version : ABS farting noises on 850

Flatout Phil
Thursday 7th March 2013, 17:34
The R has, for a year or so had an intermittent problem where for no particular reason, the ABS pump starts rapidly pumping and the pedal goes hard until I push down on it (oh that sounds rude). Now the ABS unit has been Wobbly Daved a couple of years back, but the farting noise is usually accompanied by the ABS light coming on. So I'm wondering stator ring? Pump issue? ABS unit duff?
Informed thoughts welcomed.
If anyone has a spare ATE unit that works etc... preferably not one prised apart and masticked shut. Its for a With TRACS car (1996 N - like most Rs).

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!! :)

JamesT5
Thursday 7th March 2013, 17:42
Loving the title! :D :hilarious

ajc106
Thursday 7th March 2013, 17:53
i had the same thing apart from the abs light coming on found it to be rusty reluctor rings on the cv joints took my sensors out and gave the rings a good clean got the rust off and the fault went away hope this helps

Flatout Phil
Thursday 7th March 2013, 20:17
Silly question - but how much stuff do you need to take out to get at them?

nobananas
Thursday 7th March 2013, 20:34
I've had the rings crack on mine before and 'freewheel' on the c/v joint causing all sorts of speed related oddness, also had a c/v boot clip break and slide over the reluctor ring again causing much oddness !

ajc106
Friday 8th March 2013, 08:33
All i did was take the front wheels off remove the abs sensor clean the sensor as rust will be stuck to them and then i used a thin screw driver through the sensor hole or you can remove the discs and pads and get a wire brush on them

Flatout Phil
Friday 8th March 2013, 14:26
All i did was take the front wheels off remove the abs sensor clean the sensor as rust will be stuck to them and then i used a thin screw driver through the sensor hole or you can remove the discs and pads and get a wire brush on them

That sounds worth a shot. But since rain is back, it won't happen for a few days :(

BIG DAN
Saturday 9th March 2013, 14:37
my xc did this was greasy rings (no pun intended) had split cv gaiter grease everywhere clean them up and sound as a pound since :)

Brett855tdi
Saturday 9th March 2013, 16:02
As many have said above its probable something is probably interfering with the sensors and its most likely is would be the wheel thats locking (if you can tell) Ive had a greasy ring before also on my c70.. however on my old 850 it started doing at odd times on the back before my abs unit went completely wobbly, but once the unit was replaced it was all good.