PDA

View Full Version : Forevermore Project - Dylan's Golder Wonder

vaderboyo
Thursday 7th March 2013, 01:05
New saffy, new project :smile:

Collected today from South Wales, the 370 mile trip home was a complete pleasure (got the train down which took best part of 5 hours lol)

I've included pics under the Wanted section, so rather than repeat those I will take some nice HDR pics over the weekend after she's had a proper clean.

All went to plan on the way home, PhilV70R had suggested that I keep an eye out for a few things, after checking oil and water levels and filling her up to the top with super unleaded, quickly got to this mpg

peaked at 37.6, worst was 32mpg, with speeds between 60 and 78 mph....with the odd blip to test the s and e modes on the auto box.....all well, and not bad for 205k engine. Power delivery seems fine to me, but Phil can be the judge of that when he visits this weekend :biggrin:

Suspension fine, feels nice and tight, no pulling to any direction when braking. Loads of receipts for work done over the last 12,000 miles, has been SORN a bit over the past 6 years.

So, few things that I've noticed will need attention.

Body work not far off being mint - credit to the previous owner/s. Inside very similar, just slightest wear and tear on the base of the front seats.

Rear wiper, water jet and demister dont work - doesnt bother me.
Sunroof dead - doesnt bother me.
Front drivers side tyre has slow puncture - fancy replacing both front ones asap anyway with something more grippy.

To conclude on day 1 - best drive Ive had in a car since a very long time, faultless on the way home, dont care what needs doing to her its an amazing collectable car which will continue to be looked after by the dark side of the force :-)

Know I'm absolutely knackered so off to my pit.

ttfn

M-R-P
Thursday 7th March 2013, 01:24
Congrats on the new motor mate, she'll do you proud ;)

PHIL V70R
Thursday 7th March 2013, 01:32
be over soon mate c ya then......:thewave:

T5frankie
Thursday 7th March 2013, 05:45
Good luck crap colour though LOL

MoleT-5R
Thursday 7th March 2013, 08:09
nice car mate, bet the trip back was great with some nice roads to check out your new purchase

V70 Graham
Thursday 7th March 2013, 08:55
Looks like you've fallen on your feet, now don't sell this one lol.

stribo
Thursday 7th March 2013, 09:46
Looking good. :B_thumb:

vaderboyo
Friday 8th March 2013, 01:14
cheers all....definately won't be selling this one Graham lol

Now done my first 500 miles, full tank of petrol resulted in 460 motorway miles - OK averaging 62mph but all the same amazing.

It's so original and clean for the milleage its done - unbelievable - spare wheel looks like its hardly been used.

The only thing I can see that will need rennovating or changing interior wise is the steering wheel....but I'm being picky lol

Cant wait for the weekend

iancho
Friday 8th March 2013, 06:51
Sounds like you finally found a good one! :B_thumb:

The Flying Moose
Friday 8th March 2013, 07:48
Looks well mate, certainly one of the better high mileage cars. Just goes to show if cared for properly they do still run as they should.

vaderboyo
Monday 11th March 2013, 22:40
Ive had her 6 days and done 750 miles....not had a chance to wash or polish her yet which I'm gutted about - anyway grabbed some quick pics tonight, thought Id show you a local view...

20721 - sorry Ive got no idea how to make my pics bigger

Ive trauled through the service history and invoices that came with this golder wonder - its had tonnes of money spent on it over recent years, its obviously been well cared for.

There are a few issues I will need to sort out which are as follows:

Small leakage from power steering system
Sunroof inop
Rear wiper inop
Driver side fog lamp cracked
Headlamps are utter rubbish
Handbrake needs adjusting

Thats about it, none of the above are pressing, but I will sort them out over the coming weeks and months.

More pressing is the need for a full service and cambelt/water pump change.

Ive got no worries re the health of the engine or the turbo...no blue smoke and returns this kind of mpg

OK so was driving at 55mph on cruize control, but I wasnt un a hurry and I know Ive got 240bhp (ish) on tap if I need it. I'm not going to put the engine under any pressure until Ive done the belts and service.

Looking through the history, between 2004 and 2006 she did 80k - was serviced every 12 weeks! then when she hit 160k the miles came down to 10k per annum. Has been sorned 2012 - then looks like a not inconsiderable amount was spent to put her through the MOT...and then 4 days later yours truly gets his grubby fingers on her.

Body wise there are only small imperfections which would only be noticed once your attention was drawn to them....or if you washed the car by hand - agian these will be sorted in time.

On the inside, the only thing missing is the rear load cover, previous owners forgot to include it when they part ext her for a newer car, then ended up flogging it on gumtree......so hunt for another black one is on.

Also, Id like to replace the trim on the tail pipe - not sure if this is an easy job? or it might benefit from a rub down with wire wool?

More pics to come once weather improved :-)

PHIL V70R
Tuesday 12th March 2013, 10:26
looking good sir....hope 2 c you soon mate

vaderboyo
Friday 15th March 2013, 22:35
Ive been busy doing this and that to the Golden Wonder :-)

Painted the grill and lower grills, also sprayed the horns in the same colour, save me having to move them.

Makes it look much fresher

Touched up the alloys, just a temp job until I get them refurbed, and painted the callipers satin black.

Started to rennovate the seats - not that there's much wear, and started to clean the engine bay.

Smitten...

iancho
Saturday 16th March 2013, 07:19
That grill looks much smarter and the wheels look nice too... Your doing a good job mate! Nice tidy motor :B_thumb:

V70 Graham
Saturday 16th March 2013, 07:46
Looking good, but wern't 'Golden Wonder' a type of crisp lol

kfc
Saturday 16th March 2013, 17:31
Looks very nice bud, i love to see mpg numbers like that? enjoy yourself.

vaderboyo
Saturday 16th March 2013, 19:41
That grill looks much smarter and the wheels look nice too... Your doing a good job mate! Nice tidy motor :B_thumb:

cheers, quite a way to go before it gets to your cars standard :-) ...I casnt stop looking at it out the window lol

PHIL V70R
Saturday 16th March 2013, 21:20
lol your as bad as me mate...

vaderboyo
Monday 18th March 2013, 23:09
Slight change to the front, couldnt get used to the chrome which I didnt paint over on the grill...to an hour later and got to this:)

Carried on cleaning and touching up where needed.

The heat shield in the centre of the exhaust had to come off today, it had rusted and the mounting holes had rusted awat, the noise it made on occassions was flpn annoying lol...will help power to weight ratio lol

vaderboyo
Monday 18th March 2013, 23:11
hmmm...dunno still debating about this one...

iancho
Tuesday 19th March 2013, 07:07
cheers, quite a way to go before it gets to your cars standard :-) ...I casnt stop looking at it out the window lol

Thanks :-) It's taken me a few years though and alot of money. Your grill looks much better in Black nice work, I'm not so sure about the Blacked out headlights though a guy that did my front windows had done this to his headlights it looked very nice. A cheap mod but still legal. :)

http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y474/Iancho68/007_zps2526350b.jpg
http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y474/Iancho68/006_zpsf01ffafd.jpg

vaderboyo
Tuesday 19th March 2013, 19:55
The pic has window tint film, agree its to dark.

Got a running issue today :-( suppose it had to happen sooner or later.

Car wont boost and sounds like there's a slight gasket leak....need to pull the codes but it will need sorting asap

Jamest5r
Tuesday 19th March 2013, 20:05
The pic has window tint film, agree its to dark.

Got a running issue today :-( suppose it had to happen sooner or later.

Car wont boost and sounds like there's a slight gasket leak....need to pull the codes but it will need sorting asap

Just caught up with this, nice buy :) got to love gay gold wish mine looked that good :)

Sounds like you have an air leak somewhere don't panic just have a good look around the pipework and you'll find it :)

vaderboyo
Tuesday 19th March 2013, 21:08
Just caught up with this, nice buy :) got to love gay gold wish mine looked that good :)

Sounds like you have an air leak somewhere don't panic just have a good look around the pipework and you'll find it :)

cheers bud....I'm one of those who always thinks the worst lol -

Interesting as I have been driving her Ms Daisy since I got her, not reved her silly or really tested the power full on. Then yesterday a Ford Puma tried his luck and I couldnt resist it...I did pull away but no quicker than my old AWD....I put it down to my driving style and forgot about it. Today on the way to work all was fine, averaged 32mpg on the A55 (40 mile trip one way). But, on the way home tonight, I floored it and after a few leaps forward it did nothing but splutter - no boost to talk of and mpg fell to 14mpg!

Still love it though lol

PHIL V70R
Tuesday 19th March 2013, 23:27
if your about 2 moz mate i can pop over with a code reader and take a look no probs drop me a text sir....

vaderboyo
Thursday 21st March 2013, 22:14
Yesterday I combined a dreaded trip to the dentist with a visit to see Phil :cool:

We met up at local Asda car park, great to see to R's parked up...bonnet open and within minutes he was pointing out possible and potential reasosns for the boosting issue - so after purchasing some silicone hose we headed off for Phils place, where he worked his magic on my engine bay :banana:

Fault code reader found nout serious, but Mr P sifted through the possibilities and clocked the following:

All vac lines need changing - some were changed there and then :B_thumb:
Silicone hoses could do with changing
Leak in radiator....one to keep an eye on
pvc needs doing, will clean up the manifold same time
needs stage 0 sorting
removed rain guard thing from behind the grill to improve airflow...I have since dremmelled the rest of it awa.....I LIKE DREMMEL lol

right, car was running like crap before I got there, and I have to confess I had been driving miss daisy - mainly cos the brakes which are relatively new were shocking at slowing her down (cabbage brakes as Phil described lol) so it was a bit of a shock when the man took her out, stuck her in S mode and switched traction control off......spool up was much better, noticably better, and it sounded much smoother. It still had very slight hesitation, but we agreed that stage 0 should sort that out as probably misfire on plugs or leads. it felt planted on the road at high speed, ride was good and it went with purpose lol

Phil, it was great to meet your family, thankyou for the kind welcome and for the laughs....I even learnt a new trick re how far the bonnet opens :cool:

Cheers Phil - look forward to tweaking and learning from ya in the future :B_thumb:

On the way back from Phils I drove her with spirit!!!!! when this car works its bloody nutts - cant wait to start upping the power - got to get 300 from her before this time next year.

In the meantine I have an ever growing shopping list, bargain hunter Jedi master Phil has set a few challenges for me.....lets see how I get on :B_thumb:

Jamest5r
Thursday 21st March 2013, 22:20
That made me laugh glad your happy and it was an easy fix told you so lol, well done Phil :)

LiamT4
Thursday 21st March 2013, 22:30
I didn't know about how far the bonnet opened untill someone off here showed me lol

PHIL V70R
Thursday 21st March 2013, 22:33
lol...what a day great to see you mate...thanks for the cd never understood a dam word on it but sounds great lol...get ya bits and bobs mate and lets make the old girl move lol...leave the suit at home next time...lol:lovestory

LiamT4
Thursday 21st March 2013, 22:40
BTW, if your headlights are that pants (which they usually are on these s/v70s if its still got the originals), then is covering them in dark film the best idea?

Jamest5r
Thursday 21st March 2013, 22:43
BTW, if your headlights are that pants (which they usually are on these s/v70s if its still got the originals), then is covering them in dark film the best idea?

Your sounding like an old man mate is that because you've been married 3 weeks now lol

PHIL V70R
Thursday 21st March 2013, 22:46
lol kept that on the quit mate lol....any pics...:deal:

LiamT4
Thursday 21st March 2013, 22:46
Your sounding like an old man mate is that because you've been married 3 weeks now lol

No, its because i remember how pants they were on my s70r, untill i put the crystals on lol

I remember emlyn when he had the white s70, saying he could have his main beam on and nobody would flash him, they were that bad!

vaderboyo
Friday 22nd March 2013, 00:28
lol no, Ive decided to repaint the reflectors and fit a HID kit - but I wont do this now until late summer as the evenings are getting longer :cool:

In terms of sorting the car, I'm lucky cos the suspension and bodywork are fine, all I need to do is invest wisely in the engine, upgrade the brakes and buy some decent rubber for the alloys...which I will do when Im ready to refurb the alloys.

O yeah - biggest laugh of the day, the chrome tip off the exhaust made a hasty exit some time during test driving :hihi:now looks like Ive got a fag end sticking out under the bumper pmsl

PHIL V70R
Friday 22nd March 2013, 00:51
lol....nice....:hbomb:

vaderboyo
Sunday 7th April 2013, 16:46
I'm off tomorrow morning to see Mr P again....I was given some homework after the last visit which included sticking is some cataclean (done) and ordering some bits and bobs ala HT leads, dizzy cap/rotor arm etc.

Anyways i thiought i'd have a butchers at the spark plugs today before I fork out best part of £40 for new ones....took the top plate off, HT leads looked kinda new, so kept them on for now, took out each spark plug one by one and each looked in great condition.....good 'cos it hints at a health 207k engine, bad cos I was hoping they would be shot so that I could change them and solve my hesitation under load issue...toss lol

Anyway, the HT leads are volvo OEM, but the spark plugs were as follows: NGK R - BKR7EVX......, quick buchers on line and these dont seem like the best set of plugs to have - guess I will be better off sticking some OEM ones on....

Lets see what unfolds tomorrow- Phil, has another butchers at the MAF .....btw....I'm listening to radio two and theres a sound of a blue whale coming across the airwaves....WTF?? reminds me I need to get the tinned tuna out for tea...dont believe me listen to Jny Walker on i plyer lol

PHIL V70R
Sunday 7th April 2013, 18:58
we will change the lot any way mate and i have a plan...lol..:ready2go:

vaderboyo
Sunday 7th April 2013, 21:25
are we going to replace it all with a v12 :lol:

PHIL V70R
Sunday 7th April 2013, 22:15
it will feel like it mate ..lol :smileypul

vaderboyo
Wednesday 24th April 2013, 18:08
After speaking to Phil, who I might add, has gone out of his way countless times to help with a few niggles (top bloke) :hail: I bit the bullet and bought everything I needed to so a stage '0'...the only things that Ive opted not to change was the o2 sensor.

So today, I got up first thing and did everything, oil and filter change, changed plugs, dizzy, HT leads, rotor arm, fuel filter etc etc gave her a second dose of cataclean and drove her down the village to local garage where they changed the cambelt, water pup etc etc .

Ive just driven her back from the garage and she feels tighter, smoother and more responsive - I'm hoping that the niggle that Phil and myself have been working on has now been solved....but I will have to take her out later to give her a good testing to see if the niggle has gone.....fingers crossed.

If all is well, then its on to phase 2 of the plan, brakes upgrade, and then remap to 280bhp, which will be more than sufficient.....for now :-)

vaderboyo
Wednesday 24th April 2013, 18:12
New rear wiper and exhaust trim

vaderboyo
Saturday 27th April 2013, 10:07
Pleased to report that car is now running 100% perfect - swapped a maf over this morning at took her out....wow, 208k and she goes like stonk...to say I'm thrilled is an understatement.....but the brakes...OMG......I was tempted to put my foot out of the door at one stage to stop her lol

AndysR
Saturday 27th April 2013, 12:47
Great read so far this thread, it's been said already but provided these are looked after like they should be and get what they need when they need it then thy can still perform and look well regardless of the mileage. Keep up the good work :smile:

PHIL V70R
Saturday 27th April 2013, 15:24
glad alls well sir....pop over stranger..

vaderboyo
Sunday 28th April 2013, 22:29
changed this yesterday aswell - the original unit looked OK, but taking off one of the pipes I could see that the hole had become slightly blocked....

21304....so now it has a newer one, the old one cleaned up are stored for future use.

Best mod ever...after eight mug placed perfectly to balance the engine

spot the difference, have got through 3 now lol