PDA

View Full Version : D5 - rising oil level - DPF

Volvej
Tuesday 5th March 2013, 16:02
Hello guys, I have a question for you, especially if you have D5 engine with silver cover, the one that has DPF.

I bought my car last summer and after purchase I have noticed that oil level was a little bit over the MAX indicator. Mechanic at Volvo explanied to me, that diesel can get mixed into oil because of DPF fiter and the oil level rises.

I have then changed my oil with Castrol 0-30 a5b5 for Volvo, that was 7 months ago and I only did 5500 kilometers in that time, that's 3500 miles. I put 5 liters of oil into the engine when changing - I think it's 5 liters for D5 right? So anyways oil dipstich has 8 levels of XX marked between MIN and MAX. After I changed my oil, oil level was covering a little bit more than 5 XX marks. Now after 7 months and 3500 miles it covers 7 XX marks, only one left to MAX.

I assuming diesel came into oil? So what to do, it's that normal with that engines and it's OK to drive like this or shold I change my oil again? So quickly? But I suppose lubricating abilities are not the same with some diesel in oil. I am planing to remove DPF during this year, but still, what do you recomend?

Thanks for your answers!

jotter22
Tuesday 5th March 2013, 16:43
Now i am no mechanic by any stretch of the imagination but i would have to say if diesel is getting in your oil something is wrong!

Tony.

t5 stealth
Tuesday 5th March 2013, 19:45
volvo actually recommend you dont top the oil up to its max when you do an oil change as the level will rise over a period of time,
there was a bulliten thing about it on the v50 doing this too if i remember..a while back now lol.
it appears its normal.....
and i dont think you will do yourself any favours removing the dpf..i expect it will cause more problems...
there is methods to clear or clean the dpf which usually works on a lot of cars,
unless the dpf has got to a certain level of dirty then it has to be replaced...and that will hurt your bank account.....a lot.