PDA

View Full Version : Air con removal

T5frankie
Monday 4th March 2013, 21:47
As i'm in the middle of fitting my new intercooler it would be a good time to remove the air con system, can you just undo the pipework and throw away? any problems with the gas? (not that it should have any in after 4 years) any one know the size of the shorter belt?

Wobbly Dave
Monday 4th March 2013, 21:54
Well officially you should have it drained as the gas is not kind to the environment.

T5frankie
Monday 4th March 2013, 21:55
Well officially you should have it drained as the gas is not kind to the environment.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

smithy
Monday 4th March 2013, 22:07
Just order a none aircon belt mate and ripe it all out enjoy .

Wobbly Dave
Monday 4th March 2013, 22:15
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

you did ask - I am also led to believe that venting to air is illegal, depending on what the gas is.

Nealevo
Monday 4th March 2013, 22:18
I took my pipe off on Friday and I got a face full of gas....

Wobbly Dave
Monday 4th March 2013, 22:23
No-one will be able to tell the difference - you's ugly anyway

stribo
Monday 4th March 2013, 22:47
Modern air con systems use R134a as the refridgerant, and controls on this are tight, your's probably contains CFC's which really shouldn't be vented to atmosphere, not that you'll listen. ;):lol:

T5frankie
Monday 4th March 2013, 22:50
Just order a none aircon belt mate and ripe it all out enjoy .

i did that last time and it was too short

T5frankie
Monday 4th March 2013, 22:50

did you feel "chilled out"?

T5frankie
Monday 4th March 2013, 22:51
Modern air con systems use R134a as the refridgerant, and controls on this are tight, your's probably contains CFC's which really shouldn't be vented to atmosphere, not that you'll listen. ;):lol:
course i wont my car is billowing out smoke everywhere i go you think i'm bothered about a puff of gas? lol

JamesT5
Monday 4th March 2013, 22:56
As i'm in the middle of fitting my new intercooler it would be a good time to remove the air con system, can you just undo the pipework and throw away? any problems with the gas? (not that it should have any in after 4 years) any one know the size of the shorter belt?

Woah! Whatever you do have it drained by a professional aircon technician because even the smallest amount of gas can cause freezer burns and all sorts of health hazards not to mention the environmental impact. Remember this 'gas' is actually a liquid that boils at something like minus 150C, you can't just 'let it out' like you can air in your tyres!

By the way, I can't imagine why anybody would want to take aircon off their car as a lot of people with older cars would sell a kidney for it. If I were you, I'd sell the system if you are going to remove it as the parts can be worth quite a bit, especially the compressors as they pack up on some cars and are expensive to replace!

T5frankie
Monday 4th March 2013, 22:57
Woah! Whatever you do have it drained by a professional aircon technician because even the smallest amount of gas can cause freezer burns and all sorts of health hazards not to mention the environmental impact. Remember this 'gas' is actually a liquid that boils are something like minus 150C, you can't just 'let it out' like you can air in your tyres!

By the way, I can't imagine why anybody would want to take aircon off their car as a lot of people with older cars would sell a kidney for it. If I were you, I'd sell the system if you are going to remove it as the parts can be worth quite a bit, especially the compressors as they pack up on some cars and are expensive to replace!

the car has been parked up for 4 years i seriously doubt it will have any left

JamesT5
Monday 4th March 2013, 22:58

Well is it really worth the risk of freezer burns for a small gas removal charge! It's up to you but I thought I should give you my thoughts on the issue just in case....

T5frankie
Monday 4th March 2013, 23:02
Well is it really worth the risk of freezer burns for a small gas removal charge! It's up to you but I thought I should give you my thoughts on the issue just in case....

and how would you suggest i do that? the whole front end of the car is off? it isnt road legal anyway and isnt able to go anywhere

claymore
Monday 4th March 2013, 23:04
I've taken dozens of Aircon systems off cars over the years, never had a problem with any sort of burns or anything dangerous.

T5frankie
Monday 4th March 2013, 23:05
I've taken dozens of Aircon systems off cars over the years, never had a problem with any sort of burns or anything dangerous.

so how did you do it then colin?

JamesT5
Monday 4th March 2013, 23:06

Lots of Skydivers have done numerous jumps over the years without incident, until one day for some of them....... You know where I'm going! My pont is, it's better to be safe than sorry but I'm not the one doing the job on the car.

T5frankie
Monday 4th March 2013, 23:07
Lots of Skydivers have done numerous jumps over the years without incident, until one day for some of them....... You know where I'm going! My pont is, it's better to be safe than sorry but I'm not the one doing the job on the car.

look james you may go to the garage to get a dustcap changed but thats not how i roll, i do it all myself

claymore
Monday 4th March 2013, 23:09
so how did you do it then colin?
Just undo the pipes off the pump, if there is any pressure left in the system it will start releasing as soon as you start to undo the pipe, I suspect it will be empty anyway, I can't remember where the schrader valve is, but you could just depress the valve with a screwdriver.

claymore
Monday 4th March 2013, 23:17
look james you may go to the garage to get a dustcap changed but thats not how i roll, i do it all myself
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, James, I just don't get what you're doing on this forum, you comment if anyone speeds, you don't do any of your own maintenance, what exactly do you get out of owning a performance car?

T5frankie
Monday 4th March 2013, 23:20
He must go to the meets

Harvey
Monday 4th March 2013, 23:21

You lose approx 10% per year on most cars systems the new car systems only lose 2% Per year new EU rule.
Just to add when you use your recovery equipment :shockedbi dont have any flames around as if you mix the two together it very bad for you long term health.
NO SMOKING.......

JamesT5
Monday 4th March 2013, 23:28
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, James, I just don't get what you're doing on this forum, you comment if anyone speeds, you don't do any of your own maintenance, what exactly do you get out of owning a performance car?

Safety. :D

JamesT5
Monday 4th March 2013, 23:28
Plus I like the shape of the car....

claymore
Monday 4th March 2013, 23:29
Safety. :D
I would have thought VOC would be more suited to you.

JamesT5
Monday 4th March 2013, 23:31

There's a lot of people on here that don't maintain their own cars, they get it done at a garage or somewhere. I can do some basic easy access maintenance but that's about it, I do the best I can. I'm better at theory than I am at practice when it comes to cars.

JamesT5
Monday 4th March 2013, 23:32
He must go to the meets

I am, I'm planning to make the Haynes Day in May!

claymore
Monday 4th March 2013, 23:36
There's a lot of people on here that don't maintain their own cars, they get it done at a garage or somewhere. I can do some basic easy access maintenance but that's about it, I do the best I can. I'm better at theory than I am at practice when it comes to cars.
I personally don't have a problem with that at all, what I don't get is your attitude towards 'spirited' driving, I also have no problem with your feelings towards 'spirited' driving, but this forum is Volvo Performance Club UK, I just think you would feel more at home with like minded people on VOC Forum.

JamesT5
Monday 4th March 2013, 23:39
I personally don't have a problem with that at all, what I don't get is your attitude towards 'spirited' driving, I also have no problem with your feelings towards 'spirited' driving, but this forum is Volvo Performance Club UK, I just think you would feel more at home with like minded people on VOC Forum.

No disrespect but I think this is the wrong thread to be debating forum suitability, but I think I've done just fine on here and I'm not leaving the forum unless I'm removed my Admin/Moderators. Ok, back to the aircon topic... :)

smithson007
Monday 4th March 2013, 23:43
Just get somebody else to cut the aircon hose frankie then there's no chance of you getting injured. Lol. Call a mate round to do it like i did. Lol.

stephenevans99
Tuesday 5th March 2013, 00:18
I've got my own AC recovery machine.... :banana:

Harvey
Tuesday 5th March 2013, 00:24

So it sounds like you are volunteering !.

stephenevans99
Tuesday 5th March 2013, 00:25
No probs....anytime

smithy
Tuesday 5th March 2013, 00:27
i did that last time and it was too short

I did your v70 I think but cannot remember .if you get a none aircon belt from Volvo it should fit .cut a pipe and let what is left if any gas out

smithson007
Tuesday 5th March 2013, 00:27

Thats no way to talk about the wife mate. Lol

stephenevans99
Tuesday 5th March 2013, 00:34
Whatever you do, DON'T simply remove the low pressure service port cap, press the valve with a long screwdriver to see if there's any gas left in the system.

If there is refrigerant in the lines, cutting the pipes is possibly the worst thing you could do - you run a high risk of receiving frostbite - R134a is an extremely heavy gas - that means if you breath any in, you won't be breathing it out as it will sit in your lungs - not pleasant.

Just in case your thinking of wearing pvc garden gloves when handling refrigerant, not recommended unless you want your hands shrink wrapping.

James is correct - think safety.

Redbrick
Tuesday 5th March 2013, 00:43
Aircon gas should be recovered if you are responsible.

We fitted Aircon back into my 855 after it was hacked out by a really terrible mechanic to fit the FMIC. With a bit of skill and dexterity it can be kept. It's nice sitting in chilled air when waiting to go out on track.

Brett855tdi
Tuesday 5th March 2013, 01:00
r134a is non toxic and Non flamible!
it boils at -30c
in the eu it is illegal to vert to air and to be found doing this can result in £5k fines and upto 2 years in prison (just to mention)

The gas is heavy and in sparing amounts can cause suffer cation... as said further up by Stephen the fluid can burn very badly....

safety said its not illegal to vent in the U.S and also the bigger fact that some paintball and bb guns run off this as "green gas" so its ok to run around the woods shooting each other with it but..... not diy a/c

I wouldnt slate anyone who did it on the sly as getting someone out to expel the gas really isnt cheap.

M-R-P
Tuesday 5th March 2013, 01:27
The ability to overtake safely?

He must go to the meets
And achieve what? Meeting other enthusiasts is the only reason I go to meets.

There's nothing wrong with James' attitude mate. Frankie has his reputation for being the resident yob (if you'd seen the way he left the RR day at uxbridge, even you'd have called him a tit ;)) You have the rep for being the oldest boyracer on the forum, I talk a load of 5h1t most of the time, V70Graham has the reputation of being the slowest driver on the forum, Liam and Mike shouldn't even be here with their german barges blah blah... So James has a reputation for going on about being safe? so what? What keeps me here is the diversity of people and the enjoyment I get from getting involved. If the forum was souly about driving like an idot all the time and taking risks, it wouldn't last very long at all.

r134a is non toxic and Non flamible!
it boils at -30c
in the eu it is illegal to vert to air and to be found doing this can result in £5k fines and upto 2 years in prison (just to mention)

The gas is heavy and in sparing amounts can cause suffer cation... as said further up by Stephen the fluid can burn very badly....

safety said its not illegal to vent in the U.S and also the bigger fact that some paintball and bb guns run off this as "green gas" so its ok to run around the woods shooting each other with it but..... not diy a/c

I wouldnt slate anyone who did it on the sly as getting someone out to expel the gas really isnt cheap.

Back to the topic... As above, venting heavy gasses to atmosphere has numerous drawbacks (mostly legal) and can be dangerous but what you do in your own front garden is up to you. The method of slowly cracking a pipe would allow the gasses to vent gently without fear of physical injury - basically a controlled discharge. Just stand well back until the hissing stops.

T5frankie
Tuesday 5th March 2013, 07:09

There's nothing wrong with James' attitude mate. Frankie has his reputation for being the resident yob (if you'd seen the way he left the RR day at uxbridge, even you'd have called him a tit ;)) You have the rep for being the oldest boyracer on the forum, I talk a load of 5h1t most of the time, V70Graham has the reputation of being the slowest driver on the forum, Liam and Mike shouldn't even be here with their german barges blah blah... So James has a reputation for going on about being safe? so what? What keeps me here is the diversity of people and the enjoyment I get from getting involved. If the forum was souly about driving like an idot all the time and taking risks, it wouldn't last very long at all.

Back to the topic... As above, venting heavy gasses to atmosphere has numerous drawbacks (mostly legal) and can be dangerous but what you do in your own front garden is up to you. The method of slowly cracking a pipe would allow the gasses to vent gently without fear of physical injury - basically a controlled discharge. Just stand well back until the hissing stops.
Cheers Martin I only did that Cos I thought you lot might like to hear it screaming up the road, obviously I was wrong, guess you never drive like that!

T5frankie
Tuesday 5th March 2013, 07:12
I have no choice but to remove it myself as 1. The car is in pieces and 2. I'm skint

stephenevans99
Tuesday 5th March 2013, 08:19
At the cost of R134a, you'd probably find a local ac guy to come and recover it for FREE....venting refrigerant into the atmosphere IS illegal & I'm surprised the majority of this thread promotes it.

V70 Graham
Tuesday 5th March 2013, 08:55
.....and upto 2 years in prison.....

Don't worry Frankie, I'll visit ya lol

M-R-P
Tuesday 5th March 2013, 09:12
Cheers Martin I only did that Cos I thought you lot might like to hear it screaming up the road, obviously I was wrong, guess you never drive like that!

Chill out Frankie - I was merely pointing out that we all seem to have our part to play for whatever reason, and I think it's unfair that the guy who promotes safety gets slammed by the guy who takes - off, bouncing off the limiter in the first 2 gears, shredding his already knackered tyres with his kid in the front seat or by the guy who videos himself doing silly speeds on country roads.

We would have liked to hear your car screaming - off up the road but all we heard was tortured rubber and the horrible DADADADADADA of a five-pot bouncing off it's limiter. Shame 'cos it sounded nice on the rollers.
And no - I have never, and would never drive like that - on a track or a public road especially with my child in the car.

T5frankie
Tuesday 5th March 2013, 09:20
Chill out Frankie - I was merely pointing out that we all seem to have our part to play for whatever reason, and I think it's unfair that the guy who promotes safety gets slammed by the guy who takes - off, bouncing off the limiter in the first 2 gears, shredding his already knackered tyres with his kid in the front seat or by the guy who videos himself doing silly speeds on country roads.

We would have liked to hear your car screaming - off up the road but all we heard was tortured rubber and the horrible DADADADADADA of a five-pot bouncing off it's limiter. Shame 'cos it sounded nice on the rollers.
And no - I have never, and would never drive like that - on a track or a public road especially with my child in the car.

Yeah accelerating hard in a straight line up to 40 odd mph is well dangerous ain't it?

M-R-P
Tuesday 5th March 2013, 09:23
Yeah accelerating hard in a straight line up to 40 odd mph is well dangerous ain't it?

In a 30 zone - yes.

I doubt you'd launch like that up the 1/4 mile, so how you could call it "accelerating hard" is beyond me - you'd need traction for that.

T5frankie
Tuesday 5th March 2013, 09:42
In a 30 zone - yes.

I doubt you'd launch like that up the 1/4 mile, so how you could call it "accelerating hard" is beyond me - you'd need traction for that.
That's how that car drives, scrabbling for grip, and bouncing off the limiter because of it, anyway I ain't arguing with with it's hard writing as im driving my truck LOL

M-R-P
Tuesday 5th March 2013, 09:44
LMAO - nice one Frankie ;)

V70 Graham
Tuesday 5th March 2013, 09:51
That's how that car drives, scrabbling for grip, and bouncing off the limiter because of it, anyway I ain't arguing with with it's hard writing as im driving my truck LOL

That's a crap phone ya have there too mate.....

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y183/graham1326/texting1-630x472_zps7387c911.jpg

stribo
Tuesday 5th March 2013, 09:58
That's a crap phone ya have there too mate.....

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y183/graham1326/texting1-630x472_zps7387c911.jpg

Crap car too. ;)

T5frankie
Tuesday 5th March 2013, 10:34
Galaxy s3 mate so it's even harder as it's quite wide

960kg
Tuesday 5th March 2013, 12:32

If it helps Frankie!

Man. Trans wo A/C = Belt 9146973

Auto. Trans wo A/C = Belt 9146844

JamesT5
Tuesday 5th March 2013, 16:04

:beer: :B_thumb:

JamesT5
Tuesday 5th March 2013, 16:06
At the cost of R134a, you'd probably find a local ac guy to come and recover it for FREE....venting refrigerant into the atmosphere IS illegal & I'm surprised the majority of this thread promotes it.

:B_thumb: