PDA

View Full Version : turbo tuner query

theflyingbrick
Sunday 3rd March 2013, 22:14
ok so lets say im not a complete der brain and could probably learn how to use it, how would i go about getting a turbo tuner, second hand if possible as brand new is quite expensive considering what ill use it for,i should add that im not looking to get it right away (ive gotta save some pennys) but the missus has given me the nod so im doing as much research as i can to find out whether or not i should get one or just go to a tuner and have a "custom" map done.
now im looking to do any more modifications to my car,but how many times have we all said that?? and if i did have a tt then even if i did do anything i wouldnt have to worry about mapping ;) but again im not looking to do anything drastic so im unsure what to do :( i just want the proper mapping for my car so i know its running as good as she should,and im getting the best from the upgrades shes had!!

danny-R
Sunday 3rd March 2013, 23:34
I've had both, a "custom" map and tt. The turbo tuner was a good bit of kit but we could never get the car to run spot on. I much preferred the map that never needed adjusting or calibrating. All in my opinion btw others may disagree .
I thought I was getting a custom map but was infact just a copy of a file from another 18t'd car. If I were you I would be going for an mte stage 2 after all that's what dean is running and has the fasted car on the forum last year.

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 3rd March 2013, 23:36
How much do you know about what TT is, Adam Weber and custom mapping?

danny-R
Sunday 3rd March 2013, 23:43
I didn't know a great deal at all tbh. Which is why I'd prefer a good map and be done with it. If you plan on going further than stage 2 then tt would be be beneficial

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 3rd March 2013, 23:49
This is what I was going to say. TT will give you the option to tune badly & well in equal measure. You'll need a good understanding of how to tune to get the most out of it. How far are you going - forged rods?

smithy
Monday 4th March 2013, 01:01
I've had both, a "custom" map and tt. The turbo tuner was a good bit of kit but we could never get the car to run spot on. I much preferred the map that never needed adjusting or calibrating. All in my opinion btw others may disagree .
I thought I was getting a custom map but was infact just a copy of a file from another 18t'd car. If I were you I would be going for an mte stage 2 after all that's what dean is running and has the fasted car on the forum last year.

Dean is not running at mte stage 2 mate.he is running a fully custom tuned map done by marco of mte.the map was done at bruntingthorpe .

p fandango
Monday 4th March 2013, 04:31
This is what I was going to say. TT will give you the option to tune badly & well in equal measure. You'll need a good understanding of how to tune to get the most out of it. How far are you going - forged rods?
or, it gives you the option to take it to any tuner & get them to map the car even if they don't have access to the specific Volvo software normally used to write maps

danny-R
Monday 4th March 2013, 09:33
Dean is not running at mte stage 2 mate.he is running a fully custom tuned map done by marco of mte.the map was done at bruntingthorpe .
Oops I thought It was stage 2. I've decided that's what I'll be getting when I have the cash.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 4th March 2013, 10:21
or, it gives you the option to take it to any tuner & get them to map the car even if they don't have access to the specific Volvo software normally used to write maps

Absolutely. I guess the biggest advantage is it gives you the flexibility to change the map quite easily. Downside is you need to know what you're doing.

theflyingbrick
Monday 4th March 2013, 19:07
well you lot are useless lol im still not sure what to do,i like the idea of the tt but i also like the idea of a custom map..........its more the fact that i dont want to keep paying out for mapping where as with the tt its a one off payment and done!! im pretty sure i could learn how to use the tt and if worse comes to worse i could pop the old girl on a local dyno to check the afr's etc etc......................thats it my decisions almost made i think lol im aiming for the tt unless someone can do a custom map for a price lower than the tt cost :)

claymore
Monday 4th March 2013, 20:05
You must have an AFR gauge in the car if you're going to use a TT

T5frankie
Monday 4th March 2013, 20:44
custom map for me, get it done properly by someone who knows what they are doing, no-one on here has had one of those tt's running right lol

claymore
Monday 4th March 2013, 20:52
custom map for me, get it done properly by someone who knows what they are doing, no-one on here has had one of those tt's running right lol
I had mine running just as I wanted it on my old turbo and engine.

T5frankie
Monday 4th March 2013, 20:54
I had mine running just as I wanted it on my old turbo and engine.

really? didnt seem to go any better

claymore
Monday 4th March 2013, 20:56
really? didnt seem to go any better

you only saw it on one misty slippery Avon day, believe me, the car was a flier.

p fandango
Monday 4th March 2013, 20:57
JT uses one just fine

T5frankie
Monday 4th March 2013, 21:00
you only saw it on one misty slippery Avon day, believe me, the car was a flier.

thats what you always say then the times always say something else lol

T5frankie
Monday 4th March 2013, 21:01
JT uses one just fine

and he gets overtaken by n/a 325i's lol

claymore
Monday 4th March 2013, 21:02
And as I also say, I've set up my map for fast road and track, not quarter mile.

p fandango
Monday 4th March 2013, 21:07
and he gets overtaken by n/a 325i's lol
its too be expected running a laggy 19t lol

smithy
Monday 4th March 2013, 21:08
its too be expected running a laggy 19t lol

325 BMW never overtook me on the trax in the 940 on stock ecus lol.

Jamest5r
Monday 4th March 2013, 21:14

Think ive got mine just right as well will be checking at 9 sat morning to see if im right

Wobbly Dave
Monday 4th March 2013, 21:24
I begin my path to success tomorrow.

T5frankie
Monday 4th March 2013, 22:06
good luck to you both, hope you have good clutchs lol

T5frankie
Monday 4th March 2013, 22:06
325 BMW never overtook me on the trax in the 940 on stock ecus lol.

cos you was holding everything up lol

Jamest5r
Monday 4th March 2013, 22:17
good luck to you both, hope you have good clutchs lol

yes thanks

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy185/jamesclancy/IMAG0326.jpg

theflyingbrick
Monday 4th March 2013, 22:23
yes thanks

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy185/jamesclancy/IMAG0326.jpg

oooh meaty!!