PDA

View Full Version : C70 T5 passes MOT, but still costs £200.

foammanmark
Saturday 23rd February 2013, 22:16
My C70 T5 passed it's MOT, but due to a bad judder under braking, and the front discs/pads being an advisory, I had them changed. Also the rear pads, so £200 in total, which I'm quite happy with.

V70 Graham
Saturday 23rd February 2013, 22:32
Older high performance cars DO cost a bit to keep going Mark, though you can't skimp on things like brakes.

foammanmark
Saturday 23rd February 2013, 22:47
Older high performance cars DO cost a bit to keep going Mark, though you can't skimp on things like brakes.

Exactly! I'd noticed the judder under braking, and was amazed when she passed her test. They seemed very dangerous to me, so I asked for the pads/discs to be changed immediately.

AcidicDavey
Saturday 23rd February 2013, 23:28
Best to be safe.
What's £200 when you're being fed by a drip in a hospital bed?

Cubes
Sunday 24th February 2013, 00:50
I've just had my front discs and pads done too, same problem. Under £160 for geuine Volvo parts from main stealer. Plus a bottle of single malt for my mate to fit them!

nobananas
Sunday 24th February 2013, 13:46
You have to remember the brake test on the MOT is pretty unsophisticated. It's unlikely that any brake judder will be noticed on the rolling road (unless it's extremely bad !) and corroded/scored discs are no longer a reason for failure (but should get an advise), if any unbalance is within limits then it's a pass !.

cameron
Sunday 24th February 2013, 18:17
£200 for peice of mind ?
Need i say more ?

Glad she passed :D

foammanmark
Sunday 24th February 2013, 18:32
£200 for peice of mind ?
Need i say more ?

Glad she passed :D

Thanks! She drives perfectly again now, but they've advised me to change both offside calipers when I can. The front one seized when I got the car a year ago, so it's no shock that they will need changing.

volvokid
Sunday 24th February 2013, 18:57
Mark get the aa parts cover, it cost 70 a year all you have to do Is pay a small excess. They will replace your callipers and pay labour too up to the value of 500. I saved 500 off of my last bill for the P2, I could have saved 1000 but I made a mistake with my claim.

foammanmark
Sunday 24th February 2013, 19:05
Mark get the aa parts cover, it cost 70 a year all you have to do Is pay a small excess. They will replace your callipers and pay labour too up to the value of 500. I saved 500 off of my last bill for the P2, I could have saved 1000 but I made a mistake with my claim.

Cheers for the tip. Just took a look and got a price of £86.90, 5 claims/year maximum and £35 excess per claim. Sounds too good to be true, but if you have it, then it obviously works. Can you use garages of your own choice?

shepbomb
Sunday 24th February 2013, 19:12
I've had the aa warranty twice in the past and both times it's been useless

dannyboy101
Sunday 24th February 2013, 19:13
Does sound too good to be true, how does it work?

volvokid
Sunday 24th February 2013, 19:13
Cheers for the tip. Just took a look and got a price of £86.90, 5 claims/year maximum and £35 excess per claim. Sounds too good to be true, but if you have it, then it obviously works. Can you use garages of your own choice?

I hate stating prices cuz I never remember lol. Yeah what you have to do is call the aa out to your house and they will diagnose (a) fault if they can, then you put it to a dealer, if they aren't on the aa list, you simply get the garage to phone the aa with the bill, then you send it to them and get your cheque with the excess removed from the bill.
I used it for mrg and got a new maf and bit and bobs, then when I left to come home I had that issue with my angle gear, I should have stopped and called the aa out but I didnt I just took it straight back to mrg so that voided my second claim for 500 straight away because I had already took it too the garage and got it diagnosed, I said fair enough I will drive 5 miles up the road and call you guys back but it didn't work.
I've had my money out of it and I've just used it once :)

Wobbly Dave
Monday 25th February 2013, 11:32
Thanks! She drives perfectly again now, but they've advised me to change both offside calipers when I can. The front one seized when I got the car a year ago, so it's no shock that they will need changing.

I have spares and goodridge lines if you wanted?