PDA

View Full Version : Hand brake S60

welderone
Friday 22nd February 2013, 11:27
Can anyone tell me how many notches should my hand brake pull up before applying the hand brake. Peter

M-R-P
Friday 22nd February 2013, 11:28
Dunno, I usually adjust it till it "feels" right.

It'll be crap, no matter how you adjust it tho. They always roll back 6 inches and struggle to hold it on hills.

I blame Ford ;)

p fandango
Friday 22nd February 2013, 11:41
Rear brake shoes delaminating is very common on p2's

graemewelch
Friday 22nd February 2013, 12:15

It'll be crap, no matter how you adjust it tho. They always roll back 6 inches and struggle to hold it on hills.

I blame Ford ;)

mines mint. i holds solid after 3 or 4 clicks. even if i try to drive away it will stall. i did fit new shoes last year though

M-R-P
Friday 22nd February 2013, 12:27
The shoes on mine are about 3 years old and I make a point of rolling with the handbrake partly on sometimes to clear any corrosion off the drums.

It's still crap lol.

stribo
Friday 22nd February 2013, 14:50

I blame Ford ;)

You can't blame Ford, they don't use that system.:P

p fandango
Friday 22nd February 2013, 14:53
You can't blame Ford, they don't use that system.:P
Theirs always a reason why it's F*rd's fault, thought every P2 owner knew that lol

stribo
Friday 22nd February 2013, 15:33
We bought our P2 because of the Ford influence, I've always been a Ford man.:D

Santa
Friday 22nd February 2013, 15:42
I dont remember Mondeo handbrakes being rubbish?

stribo
Friday 22nd February 2013, 15:47
I dont remember Mondeo handbrakes being rubbish?

Depends whether they had discs or drums on the back. Discs were worse because as they cooled and contracted the pads would exert less pressure. It was always a good idea to leave them in gear.

partsforvolvos.com
Monday 25th February 2013, 11:55

I blame Ford ;)

they dont roll back as such - it's just a feeling as the body weight rocks and transfers from the pads onto the shoes.

I think the mot stipulation is to be fully on between 3 and 9 clicks of the ratched maechanism.

i would adjust it so you can feel it start to pull just after the lever starts to move - about 3mm free movement. afterwards check there is no binding by spinning the wheel with the lever at rest.

JamesT5
Monday 25th February 2013, 12:34
mines mint. i holds solid after 3 or 4 clicks. even if i try to drive away it will stall. i did fit new shoes last year though

I've just had new brake shoes fitted and my handbrake still has to come up to the very top before it holds the car and like Martin's car, the car still rolls back an a couple of inches with the handbrake applied.

I did ask the garage to ensure my handbrake was operating correctly, especially as it's tested on the MOT (due next month). I don't know why with new brake shoes, the handbrake still has to come up all the way for the car to hold.

I wonder if we should fit new handbrake cables as well! I might get mine tightened right up to see if that solves the problem.

partsforvolvos.com
Monday 25th February 2013, 13:17
i would suspect stretched cables are likely the problem if you have run out of adjustment on the cable threaded body. i am not sure off the top of my head where you adjust it in your car.

all these problems are basically because the shoes only ever hold it when stationary, so dont clean up whilst dirving like pads do - the inside on the disc gets rusty, they delaminate, then spin around and crunch the whole assembly whilst driving , the list is endless.

stephenevans99
Monday 25th February 2013, 17:19
Posted this on another thread recently, but it could be of relevance here too:

I've read over on VOC that if you're changing the handbrake shoes, you may as well fit a replacement adjuster. Most have the H bar fitted:

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/stephenevans99/handbrake3.jpg

which can be replaced by the 'claw' type adjuster:

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/stephenevans99/1029054-1.jpg

The benefit for fitting the new adjuster is that the handbrake shoes can now be adjusted through a wheel stud hole for convenience.

Volvo Part numbers are 30793438 for the 'claw' and 30793437 for the 'adjusting link'. I've read that they cost approx £23.

I should imagine that this will be applicable to most if not all P2's - maybe worth looking into to....

Steve

welderone
Monday 25th February 2013, 23:15
Thanks for the replies folks will check first to see what i have drums or discs. Peter

welderone
Tuesday 26th February 2013, 23:41
Discs on the rear , so that answers the question will check cable adjustment tomorrow. Peter