PDA

View Full Version : any info on the v70 2.5tdi (not d5)

BIG DAN
Thursday 21st February 2013, 22:14
needing a tdi and teh d5 is way out my price range s teh xc is a little juicy for the town driving i do but have heard a few good and bad about the tdi so any info on them would be good ?

BIG DAN
Saturday 23rd February 2013, 09:58
ive found a 2.5 tdi on a p reg 194,000 what should i be looking for ? please any help appreciated ?

sartain87
Saturday 23rd February 2013, 10:11
At a guess, although I could be hugely wrong.

But the same as any other diesel any fuel leaks, starting issues, if its an auto that the box is ok. Then just general checks you would do with any car to factor in any extra costs.

Although a friend has the p2 and the p1 and always preferred the p1, so can't be to bad.

Hope that helps a little haha

T5frankie
Saturday 23rd February 2013, 10:23
nice strong vw engine, they can be mapped to 170bhp with lots of torque, i nearly bought one last month

Kingsford G
Saturday 23rd February 2013, 10:30
They are better engines in my ooinion that early d5's.2.5tdi 140bhp vw/audi engine.Check for a smoke,turbo pulld well,oil leaks,maintenance records,cambelt service.The can be smokey and difficult to start if the timing is not spot on and has to b done using a dialgauge,if all good should start on the button.They are cheaper on parts etc than d5 and I felt more poke in tdi than d5.Fuel consumption is a little more than 1.9 tdi and I got only 10 miles less per 10L than audi 80 tdi I had at the time.Avoid if smoking blue.

BIG DAN
Saturday 23rd February 2013, 16:16
well that 1 fell through bloke sold it 30 mins before i rang him but have decided that my xc is going along with my beemer and gonna get a tdi 1 :)

sartain87
Saturday 23rd February 2013, 16:18
Realisitcally do you think your gonna save much on fuel as a petrol?

T5frankie
Saturday 23rd February 2013, 16:22
Realisitcally do you think your gonna save much on fuel as a petrol?

loads more nearly twice as much

sartain87
Saturday 23rd February 2013, 16:31
Really? Didnt think it would be that much.

T5frankie
Saturday 23rd February 2013, 16:35
Really? Didnt think it would be that much.

35 round town and 45 on the motorway, although probably alot less with me driving lol

Doingitsideways
Saturday 23rd February 2013, 16:48
The tdi's are actually really, really good.

Pretty good on juice - should be looking at around 35mpg around town, maybe 30 depending on how heavy your right foot is.

They respond well to a map, as has already been said, yeah, around 170bhp, but LOADS of torque :)

'Boxes are the same as any other Volvo jobbie of the same era, although with different bolt patterns.

Clutches tend to be pretty tough.

Basically, a well proven VAG unit, strong enough to take residence in LT and Transporter vans for years.

A couple of things to look for;

Service history, or more to the point belt changes, as a cam-belt snap on one of these is basically fatal.

Trouble starting from cold is fairly likely to be bad pump timing, many back street garages don't realise that they have to be dynamically timed, something that they're most likely not geared up for.

Bottom pulley vibration dampers are known to break down, basically the rubber in the damper perrishes over the years and if left to it's own divices will come loose, fall apart and take the cam belt with it.

Not sure if they have DMFs, but if so, be sure to check it out.

Erm... That's all I can think of at the minute, if I think of anything else, I'll let you know ;)

Steve :)

Volvostorm
Saturday 23rd February 2013, 21:13
As far as I can remember, my mate has a LT35 2.5Tdi on a S plate, that has a duel mass flywheel, but they say they are ok, far better than a Transit one

Doingitsideways
Sunday 24th February 2013, 02:51
Yeah, thought as much.

Just couldn't remember, I know the older d24s don't have them (dropped one into my 960)

The 5 pot tdi is a much nicer engine though, I would've preferred one of them between the struts in my 960, but that would have meant wiring up an ecu, whereas the old skool straight-6 d24 doesn't have one, as it's fully mechanically controlled... Hence, I can fix it with a hammer!! ;)

Steve :)

BIG DAN
Sunday 24th February 2013, 13:58
cheers gents yea tdi is the way to go im getting 30-50 miles per £15 im putting in trip comp says 20mpg i do alot of town miles so tdi is the way i need to go

well ive got somebody coming for my beemer so will have £700 in my money pot for the new volvo fund then i can put the volvo up for sale and ive seen the xc fetching good money on ebay so along with that and a few other bits im getting sold i may be able to go for a d5 but not sure if i should get a cheap tdi or go for a garage buy d5 ???

T5frankie
Sunday 24th February 2013, 14:48
if you wanna nice tdi mark may sell his

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/dto_garage.php?do=viewvehicle&v=1780

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/images/dto_garage/users/8225/3474t_2.jpg

sartain87
Sunday 24th February 2013, 15:59
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=170631

sartain87
Sunday 24th February 2013, 17:07
http://forums.t5d5.org/topic/22545-s80-25d-auto/

andyb1375
Sunday 24th February 2013, 17:10
I have got a early P2 with the 2.5 engine and its great..Its just turned 193K and will soon be run in...It always returns 50MPG and that does drop much even with a caravan in tow.. Just insure that the cam belt and fuel pump belts have been changed along with the water pump as these are prone to seizure. Cam belt change is easy

Brett855tdi
Wednesday 27th February 2013, 11:10
I had an 850 tdi..... best car i ever bought!
55mpg on a good run and not far off t5 torque by the time i had finished it.
the tdi engine is so solid i really did thrash mine and it never squeaked.... pump belt went once (check for the last change it gets forgotten) if you know your dervs easy enough to tune back in by ear.
Would highly recommend one!

BIG DAN
Monday 4th March 2013, 21:18
well not been on it a while been busy trying to make some money ive decided the v70 tdi is the way to o looking for v70 tho not the 850 tdi misses drives it and she dont like the squareness of the 850s ive just taxed the xc (waste of money for state of roads) but im selling my beemer and with the goodies ive got in my garage i should be able to get a good lump to go buy 1 hopeing to go shopping with £1000 in my pocket is this realistic ??? i also wanna play with it abit too

thinking new exhaust cold air intake and a remap then onto cosmetics lol

T5frankie
Monday 4th March 2013, 22:03
well not been on it a while been busy trying to make some money ive decided the v70 tdi is the way to o looking for v70 tho not the 850 tdi misses drives it and she dont like the squareness of the 850s ive just taxed the xc (waste of money for state of roads) but im selling my beemer and with the goodies ive got in my garage i should be able to get a good lump to go buy 1 hopeing to go shopping with £1000 in my pocket is this realistic ??? i also wanna play with it abit too

thinking new exhaust cold air intake and a remap then onto cosmetics lol
may be able to get an old stinker for that just

Brett855tdi
Tuesday 5th March 2013, 23:08
Yeah i sold my 850 for over 900 with high miles and a few dents... dervs pull the money at the mo

BIG DAN
Wednesday 6th March 2013, 15:29
i dont mind something that needs abit of work but il have my xc too sell so i can use the money from that to sort/play with it

Kingsford G
Wednesday 6th March 2013, 16:42
Look for a bargain mate.There was a v70 tdi with 145k,nice looking car sold £1100 on ebay.

BIG DAN
Wednesday 6th March 2013, 18:58
dark blue 1? i saw that its now back on £1195 lol

Brett855tdi
Wednesday 6th March 2013, 19:10
theres a good deal if you prefer the 70, bet he wouldnt say no to a grand

Kiwipatterson1981
Thursday 7th March 2013, 22:15
New to the forum but not to volvo and and the proud owner of a 2.5 tdi.

Here is my experience

I had previously owned a 2.4 petrol p2 xc and loved it but the 20mpg was just too much. Since selling that i have driven about in a 53 reg bmw 320d touring for 2 years. Basically i needed to free up some cash for house diy and all i can say is its been an blessing in disguise! Sold the 3 series for 4k and with 1500 quid went shopping for a nice v70.

To be honest i had read up lots on the 2.5tdi and had read only good stuff, only thing to worry about was timing due to poor belt changes as all the above have stated.

I found one locally for £1350 with 150k T reg. I have only owned the car for 2 weeks but im so happy! This car is so smooth for a diesel its just quite simply a fantastic engine for its age! In my opinion it sounds fantastic as-well (if a diesel can?) I already loved the classic v70 as my dad had owned one from new in the 90's.

Its quite simply the best 1350 quid i have spent. In terms of condition mine has 2 small car park dints on the drivers door, a worn steering wheel and some scuffs on the back bumper form loading... that's it! apart from that its in great nic. It is the SE spec so cruise control/wood/leather alcantara cd player. since owning i have done nothing much but give my leather a good clean and feed.

So i would think for 1000 you could pic up something nice, an extra few hundred quid would get you a tidy one in my experience.

Save the best till last...in my 100 mile drive home from Edinburgh to Castle Douglas my digi display read an ave of 60mpg! ok since then it has lowed to bang on 50 as i drive 10 miles to work on a country road each day.

Good luck with your search, you wont be disappointed.20667

BIG DAN
Friday 8th March 2013, 10:02
thanks ive decided im on the look for 1 but gonna try save up a few more pennys untill something nice turns up unless i see a cheap1 and can then throw some money at it ive still my volvo to sell so i could add that to the funds giving me 2 grand to play with but that leaves me without a car and im too fat and lazy too walk anywhere lol

danny-R
Friday 8th March 2013, 10:08
Nice 850 http://www4.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201303055609650/sort/default/usedcars/fuel-type/diesel/body-type/estate/make/volvo/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/page/1/radius/1500/postcode/ts179nd?logcode=p

Cheaper V70 http://www4.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201303025581133/sort/default/usedcars/fuel-type/diesel/body-type/estate/make/volvo/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/page/1/radius/1500/postcode/ts179nd?logcode=p

MA'R'K
Friday 8th March 2013, 13:57
if you wanna nice tdi mark may sell his

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/dto_garage.php?do=viewvehicle&v=1780

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/images/dto_garage/users/8225/3474t_2.jpg

I'm gonna slap this in here.....I've just spent a good 500 notes getting the car MOT'd and off sorn :) now has my mint refurbed comets on and will be putting on ebay in the near future :) .........that is, once I've got my R back on the road :(((((((

Ratchet
Friday 8th March 2013, 14:02
Don't buy the tdi they are absolute carp, and nothing but trouble, and slow as hell - You'd be far better off with an LPG'd car *

* Only saying that to put you off :-), as I'm in the market for the same car with the same budget. My recently deceased tdi was the best car I've ever owned, and was also by far the cheapest to run. I ran mine on a 50/50 mix of diesel and used cooking oil, so I was getting the cost equivalent of around 70 to 75 mpg. Pick up a good one and you'll never regret it.

The wife ploughed into a tractor with my tdi, its a fairly rare colour (Tropical Green) so it looks like it might have to be scrapped for the want of a wing and bumper in the right colour. I've got my fingers crossed in the hope that I can pick up a cheap tdi with faults and swap my bits over before I have to weigh mine in :-(.

Kiwipatterson1981
Friday 8th March 2013, 18:18
Out of interest, if you see a wine colored one with 110k miles STAY WELL CLEAR! it was on gumtree when i was looking and i was all set to head down to view and purchase. There was some story about the number plate needing changed from a private plate and when i questioned this the guy went quiet. I then saw it back on gumtree with a different name and contact number! so if this is still doing the rounds on gumtree and eaby take note and stay clear.

I'm so happy with mine that the girlfriend is getting jealous! i was outside till 10 pm cleaning it and fixing small squeeks....how sad am i!

Ratchet
Friday 8th March 2013, 22:51
Out of interest, if you see a wine colored one with 110k miles STAY WELL CLEAR! it was on gumtree when i was looking and i was all set to head down to view and purchase. There was some story about the number plate needing changed from a private plate and when i questioned this the guy went quiet. I then saw it back on gumtree with a different name and contact number! so if this is still doing the rounds on gumtree and eaby take note and stay clear.

I'm so happy with mine that the girlfriend is getting jealous! i was outside till 10 pm cleaning it and fixing small squeeks....how sad am i!

Thanks for the heads up on the wine coloured car.

It's not only your girlfriend who is jealous........... I was watching your new car on gumtree and was hoping the price would be dropped as it was a little over my budget (I had to buy a 206 estate to run around in, hence the very tight budget). It looks like you've picked up a good un.

Kiwipatterson1981
Friday 8th March 2013, 23:25
Yea to be honest i jumped on it when i saw it. I was quite suspicious of that add for my car aswell, as the guy had only owned it for 1 month and was moving out of the country but when i got there it all turned out be be legit.

There's enough out there, i had watched one in the dark green colour that was based in dundee, this was on over Christmas and was very tidy with black leather and alu interior trim...i just couldn't get the bmw shifted in time. It was on for 1100 and was listed a few times so it must have went for 1000 or less! I was close to buying that and keeping it sitting untill the bmw sold but i just didnt have the cash to do so. Guy picked up my bmw on the sat and by Thursday i had this one.

Hope to keep it a good while. One thing i noticed was that there isnt much difference in price between say a 96 850tdi and a 99 v70tdi, literally 100-200 quid!

'

BIG DAN
Saturday 9th March 2013, 14:30
cheers for the heads up, why scrap it get in touch with lakes autos hes a volvo breakers near me i got a number if its parts you need he has hundreds of volvos lol why not get the parts and paint them ?

also i cant go lpg due to the tank being in the boot and i need 7 seats

BIG DAN
Saturday 9th March 2013, 14:33
also MA'R'K i love that 850 does look sexy but its the dashes that put me off as they very square and look dated how much you looking for her ?

danny-R
Saturday 9th March 2013, 15:59
also MA'R'K i love that 850 does look sexy but its the dashes that put me off as they very square and look dated how much you looking for her ?
I honestly think that is the nicest looking Non R 850's on the forum, mostly down to the wheels. I wouldn't let the dash put you off, they are retro cool and still have all the gadgets, if I were looking for a diesel that would be the one for me.

Kiwipatterson1981
Saturday 9th March 2013, 18:52
That 850 is very very tidy!

i think the 850 interiors might beable to take ware better than some v70 ones. For example the curvey padded leather door cards on the v70 and often found to worn of saggy where as the 850's square style door card elbor rest section seem to look good even after almost 20 years.

Im also quite fond of the 850 bumpers with the black plastic top (very golf mk2 gti big bumper style)

Kiwipatterson1981
Saturday 9th March 2013, 18:53
crickey just read that...my typing as pretty poor (sausage fingers) its been a long day!