PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone identify this please

Rudeyboy18
Wednesday 20th February 2013, 23:05

I have a knocking from the n/s rear. Its got worse over the last few months and last night i had 6 of us in the car and it was Knocking like a CV noise anytime i turned the steering wheel over 5% to the right. Literally under load it didnt need much turn to make it knock!!!!! Ive looked myself to any wear and i cant see anything wrong. One thing i did notice is the sound came from slightly forward from the rear wheel. Sounded like the knock was coming from under the feet of the rear passangers..... they all agreed too!!! So im wondering what that thing at the bottom of the picture is coming from the back wheel??? Is it a roll bar or something??? Its driving nuts and the fact its getting worse can only mean a problem

merc85
Wednesday 20th February 2013, 23:09
Front Bush forward on the delta link suspension?

t5 pete
Wednesday 20th February 2013, 23:10
Shepbomb had a problem like yours but was knocking all the time that turned out to be the rear arb that had snapped a good weld and its all good, but its can be other things aswell have a look at the top mounts they tend to bust and look at all the bushes on the rear

deathrider311271
Wednesday 20th February 2013, 23:12
have a look at your rear top suspension mounts, i made the mistake of buying non Volvo ones which only lasted 6 months. Dont forget sound travels so it isnt necesarily where it sounds like its coming from

Rudeyboy18
Wednesday 20th February 2013, 23:14
I think someone mentioned that when i raised this issue a few months back. But most people were talking about cv's etc. One thing i did notice which might make sore sense to you is ........ the noise was there when running FWD .... then when i ran AWD for a few weeks the noise vanished. But since having it back to FWD its back and getting worse. Are those bushing easy to change/manitain/cheap??

Front Bush forward on the delta link suspension?

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 20th February 2013, 23:59
The rear suspension is different on the AWD, so the bushes will be different to FWD models. The thing in the pic is a stay bar.

It seems more likely as you've explained the noise disappeared when you ran it in AWD (did you take the prop off?) that it is a drivetrain issue, possibly the viscous coupling (yellow thing) causing vibration if it isn't coupled to the prop (and would explain the passengers feeling it under their feet as this is where the viscous unit mounts)

Anyway, heres an exploded suspension pic for you

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/images/1998-awd-rear-trailing-arm.jpg

Rudeyboy18
Thursday 21st February 2013, 15:32
This shot viscous coupling/rear diff ( constant hum/vibration and rear wheels skipping at low speeds and turning ) is the reason i removed the new custom built prop!!!! So now the viscous coupling and diff are obsolete! So i would assume with them not being used they would just sit there...........

The passangers feet and knocking is under the n/s rear passagner feet when loaded and turned wheel right!! Not the centre or O/s , hence why im thinking its supsension issues / delta link / stay bar bushes ect etc. Its driving me nuts and there isnt as much knowledge about awd's on the forum which sucks

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 21st February 2013, 19:14
I know what you mean about the AWD info, but then I do like the fact that they are so different.

Possibly the bump stop or upper shock mount

http://www.brickboard.com/AWD/index.htm?id=801230&show_all=1

I suppose that wouldn't account for the under foot feel, but then it might be travelling.

Just a quick question, do you have a device to engage AWD or do you need to remove the prop yourself?

Rudeyboy18
Thursday 21st February 2013, 19:53
No button, just remove prop. I would of been nice to have a shiney button to push to swap between the two. I guess i need to get it looked at, but need 5-6 grown adults to sit in the car with machanic to replicate the noise. Im hoping its not much of a problem

Rudeyboy18
Thursday 21st February 2013, 20:08
Will take a look at bump stops and mounts At the weekend