PDA

View Full Version : Turbo noise & reluctant starting

Murphwiz
Monday 18th February 2013, 22:15
I have a s60 2003 2.4t geartronic.
When cold turbo makes a lovely whine, goes after a few minutes of running, i suspect it's on it way out, no smoke or major oil useage.

Now is this a good time to bolt on something slightly better? if so what are my options?

Also, getting some reluctance to start sometimes, often doesn't start on all cylinders from cold, sometimes needs held at 1500rpm for 5-10 seconds to fully clear, again, no real amounts of smoke, but heavy smell of fuel, any ideas?

We won't go into the gearbox for now....

M-R-P
Monday 18th February 2013, 22:22
Too new to be ETM, I would say the start issue is being caused by a suspect maf. the turbo whistle could be a leak in the inlet system, probably down where the airbox pipe meets the turbo. This could potentially cause the cold start problem. I would check the condition and security of all the pipes first.

Murphwiz
Monday 18th February 2013, 22:27
Thanks for the reply, I will have a check on the hoses.
The starting issue, it feels like the head gaskets gone, except theres just no signs of it, never used any coolant and it seems to use about 1/2 litre of oil every 3k miles.

M-R-P
Monday 18th February 2013, 22:40
check the simple stuff first mate, then go for the harder/more expensive possibilities ;)

Harvey
Tuesday 19th February 2013, 00:27
Inlet manifold gasket leaking,or injectors "O" rings leaking air,pcv pipe split somewhere all of these could cause a the problems that you have.
Have a good look/listen for air leaks.

stevmo
Tuesday 19th February 2013, 11:38
do the simplest stuff first - when were the spark plugs last changed or at least gapped? mine was a §§§§§§ to start occasionally from cold (2003 2.0T). Changed plugs to NGK irridiums that cost me £32.63 which I correctly gapped to 0.7mm. Took the bosch super plus's out and they werent tightened properly and the gap was only about 0.56 meaning the spark was too weak. powers increased and economy has as well.

JamesT5
Tuesday 19th February 2013, 13:52
I get a very high pitched whistle or something similar on my car but I've had no problem starting it or anything unusual on that side of things. In other words, I'm not sure the whistle you mention is linked to your problem.

I hope that helps.....

Regards

James

Murphwiz
Wednesday 20th February 2013, 18:26
Thanks for the suggestions so far, will have a good poke around.
Plugs are a few thousand old, iridiums, car felt much better when these were fitted.
Just deciding whether to spend a bit on her, or look for something else, really do fancy an R but prices seem a little high at present.