PDA

View Full Version : Anti roll bar wear

jardon
Monday 18th February 2013, 14:16
I noticed my rear 22mm IPD bar was easy to move by hand within it's polybush a while ago and assumed the bush was worn. It's been fitted nearly 5 years and hasn't been off since then. In fact the bar is worn both sides and there is quite a deep score that allows the bar to "rattle" about within the bush (which is not worn at all). I suggest if you have an anti roll bar with polybushes (IPD or otherwise) that you remove the bush periodically and clean up the mating surfaces then re-lube.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 18th February 2013, 14:33
My IPD ARB bushes were shot within 2 years. I have subsequently got IPD to send more - though I later learned these are generic items & need not be imported.

jardon
Monday 18th February 2013, 15:29
I was surprised to see the bar worn not the bush. The bushes on the rear are quite soft and easily distort under load such that the "seal" is broken allowing grime in - the fronts are much firmer. If I had to blame someone other than myself for not servicing them I would say that IPD should supply stiffer polybushes on the rear - sloppy bushes negate the value of a stiffer ARB and potential for contamination of the bearing surface is not ideal.

I have bodged it by stuffing the bar to bush interface with appropriate lengths of cut cable tie and now there is no slop. My ideal would be to replace the rear with a UR 25mm bar but funds will dictate when. I may look out for some generic 21mm stiffer bushes (the bar is no longer 22mm diameter) or ask Tim to have Altiss make good the scoring with weld.

JamesT5
Monday 18th February 2013, 16:53
These are these 'fit and forget' polybushes...? I'd be returning them under warranty because we're told polybushes don't perish in any reasonable amount of time!

jardon
Monday 18th February 2013, 17:33
These are these 'fit and forget' polybushes...? I'd be returning them under warranty because we're told polybushes don't perish in any reasonable amount of time!

Hi James, the bushes are as new but the bar is worn. Clearly the bar is a lot harder than the bush but the trapped gunge has taken it's toll on the bar. I wouldn't call any bush fit and forget though some will last a very long time if not subject to extreme duty. Passed the MOT an hour ago so my quick fix has bought me some time to consider options. Still an excellent upgrade and I wouldn't be without mine.