PDA

View Full Version : knocking when driving over bumps

BIG DAN
Monday 18th February 2013, 09:26
hi on my v70 xc i get a knocking when i go over bumps etc seems to be at the front anygot any ideas i have just got it back from garage where he was suppose to do the engine mounts but couldnt as the fwd 1s are diff from awd 1s ???

its really starting to bug me now lol

p fandango
Monday 18th February 2013, 09:30
Droplinks

BIG DAN
Monday 18th February 2013, 09:44
are they pricey ? he did say my mounts had gone but they would be ok ?

WOODY T5
Monday 18th February 2013, 09:48
9 or 10 pound each mate

v70tom
Monday 18th February 2013, 18:42
Seen them on ebay for around 14 quit last week.
Been looking for some in case I need them.
Just need to find out what my garage says what the noise actually is.

BIG DAN
Monday 18th February 2013, 22:46
im im taking it back too him this week anyway so will get him too bang it up on ramp and have a butchers

PHIL V70R
Monday 18th February 2013, 22:51
track rod end or arm...drop link as above poss mate

JamesT5
Tuesday 19th February 2013, 13:40
Check your strut top mounings, mine were shot to bits (there's pictures on the P2 forum somewhere), and the knocking was caused by the worn top bearings and spring seats. Also, check your ball joints because if they're worn then that can cause the problem too.

Regards

James

BIG DAN
Tuesday 19th February 2013, 14:49
cheers for ya dvice gents went back too see him today he said he did check drop links and they looked ok but he wanted to double check the oil leak he fixed has worked ok so hes gonna get it up in the air and have a good ol nosey round and bits :)

JamesT5
Tuesday 19th February 2013, 15:52
cheers for ya dvice gents went back too see him today he said he did check drop links and they looked ok but he wanted to double check the oil leak he fixed has worked ok so hes gonna get it up in the air and have a good ol nosey round and bits :)

My money is on your ball joints or strut mountings. Good luck with it, I've been to hell and back with my T5 this last few months with all sorts of suspension woes (still ongoing), so please let us know the verdict!

Regards

James

BIG DAN
Tuesday 19th February 2013, 18:36
will do well i lost my job last month and spent my last of my savings on getting the oil leak fixed and bits and the tax thats due end of this month so hopefully wont be ovally expensive i hope will update soon as i know

BIG DAN
Thursday 21st February 2013, 18:29
well went to garage today and oil leak has stopped yay but the knocking is actually the top mounts we belibe has a good ol poke around there and all seems good but cant really test top mounts so assume its them waiting on a price on them from my local parts place any1 know how hard they are too fit ?

sartain87
Thursday 21st February 2013, 18:34
Try http://partsforvolvos.com/

Jamie, is on here aswell:

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/member.php?8711-partsforvolvos-com

There only in Wellingborough aswell mate.

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 21st February 2013, 19:21
Top mounts are a common problem on our volvos (the AWD front suspension is the same as FWD with the exception of the height (just different springs for extra few mm height)) and are easy enough and cheap enough to change. That and the drop links.

BIG DAN
Thursday 21st February 2013, 22:04
cheers gents

so if they are all the same does that mean i could fit normal springs to take the hight away ?

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 21st February 2013, 22:06
On the front yes, but the rears need AWD specific springs (not easy to find AFAIK)

BIG DAN
Thursday 21st February 2013, 22:10
damn lifted it is then lol

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 21st February 2013, 22:15
Just think of the clearance you'll get on the snow :D

On another note you could get the anti roll bar upgrades, that should hold it level

BIG DAN
Thursday 21st February 2013, 22:20
gonna leave it lifted lol prob gonna be up forsale soon need a derv lol