PDA

View Full Version : What's happening to the car prices

p fandango
Monday 18th February 2013, 08:20
I know a few have noticed the price of 850's have started creeping back up due to numbers, but was looking at 340/360's on eBay & they've rocketed as well. A couple of abused drift cars were £500/£600, but there was a couple close to the £2k mark. Couldn't of been 5years since I was given one for free

BIG DAN
Monday 18th February 2013, 10:34
yea i have noticed retro is massivly in lately and volvos are getting more and more popular withthe younger crowed too im 24 and its my 2nd lol

claymore
Monday 18th February 2013, 11:57
p2 models seem to be droping like bricks

M-R-P
Monday 18th February 2013, 12:06
p2 models seem to be droping like bricks

Thanks for the stark reminder lol, mines lost nearly a grand since I got it. Old P2 cars can be horribly expensive to maintain but on the upside, there'll be so few left in 10 years, they'll become as rare as rocking horse poo!

7mgtesup
Tuesday 19th February 2013, 11:00
I can still pick up 940 turbo's for £250, I have bought 3 for a grand total of £750 but two have been out of the scrap yard next to my workshop but all worked.

Liddo
Wednesday 20th February 2013, 14:19
It was on 5th Gear the other night. A BMW E30 in mint condition is currently worth £2500, in (i think) 5 yrs time, it'll be worth £5000!!!!!

Im on the lookout for a mint low mileage 850 or 855 T5, and im gonna keep it for a few years :)

Maybe people are cottoning on to the fact that modern cars are a pain to fix, and need more dealer support! 80's and 90's cars
are a little less complicated???

Doingitsideways
Friday 22nd February 2013, 10:36
80's and 90's cars
are a little less complicated???

You wanna try running a 480...

Electrical gremlins 'r' us!!

Lol :D

Steve :)

p fandango
Friday 22nd February 2013, 10:42
You wanna try running a 480...

Electrical gremlins 'r' us!!

I fell lucky & had no problems with mine in the 2years I had it

Doingitsideways
Friday 22nd February 2013, 10:49
Nah, mine's just got a couple of things really, mainly an info centre that works when it feels like it and a completely misaligned front/rear wash/wipe system that takes about 5 hands to make work!!

Honestly, it's hilarious!! :D

Apart from that, I do love it dearly! ;)

p fandango
Friday 22nd February 2013, 11:12
Nah, mine's just got a couple of things really, mainly an info centre that works when it feels like it and a completely misaligned front/rear wash/wipe system that takes about 5 hands to make work!!

Honestly, it's hilarious!! :D

Apart from that, I do love it dearly! ;)
i must say, with the luxuries & extras you get on 480's it was a bit of a disappointment when i changed to the 850. Haven't got half the little gadgets of the cheese-wedge (light up keyhole etc)

JamesT5
Friday 22nd February 2013, 11:16
It's called 'Appreciation' (the opposite to depreciation), it's when cars that are popular start to climb in value when demand out-strips supply (in essence). Volvo estates seem very popular despite their petrol drinking reputation, I think it's got a lot to do with their safety record, their 'bullet proof' engines and the old 'Tank' image, so in other words a lot of car for the money.

The T5 image is helped along way by the Police forces having used them for years and then the availability of high mileage cars at reasonable prices. Now the demand for the 850's is still high yet the population of the cars is shrinking (slowly), so there are a quite a few people out there interested in the perfomance versions such as the T5 and T5-R, so that creates a price rise as owners cash in on the 'demand'!

Doingitsideways
Friday 22nd February 2013, 11:20
I know what you mean.

I was amazed when I bought mine, and kept discovering little things for weeks afterwards.

Things like "Follow me home" lights and the rear wiper starting when putting in reverse with the front wipers on.

I think the biggest problem with 480s was that they were so far ahead of their time, some of their gizmos are only just about standard on most cars, even now.

The technology wasn't really there to make them reliable enough... Well, that and the fact that they were designed and built by a bunch of stoners in the old Daf factory in Holland!!

7mgtesup
Wednesday 27th February 2013, 10:13
What you really need is a film like the fast and the furious where a Volvo T5 is the car of choice then people will be wetting there pants to own one lol. It nearly doubled the price of MK4 Supras over night.

volvokid
Wednesday 27th February 2013, 10:17
What you really need is a film like the fast and the furious where a Volvo T5 is the car of choice then people will be wetting there pants to own one lol. It nearly doubled the price of MK4 Supras over night.

the saint drone a C70 T5 :)
Oh and all those vampire films had volvos in them. I have actually forgot the name of the films haha thank god, do not remind me!!!

smithy
Wednesday 27th February 2013, 14:39

Have you seen the Volvo fast and furious film they did in Sweden it looks ace and mostly rwd ones too

stevmo
Wednesday 27th February 2013, 23:00
as a ford boy I can see what your on about. A rusty and tatty mk2 fiesta (80's) is selling for 1K + now

Doingitsideways
Thursday 28th February 2013, 01:08
Fancy a rusty and tatty 2.8i Capri?!

Lol ;)

Harvey
Thursday 28th February 2013, 01:32

Well top gear Sunday might help a little bit.

NORDIC R
Thursday 28th February 2013, 06:10
Hmmm might just have too m.o.t the 70 then lol

JamesT5
Thursday 28th February 2013, 10:13

Unfortunately such fame would likely cause a sharp rise in our insurance premiums as insurers cash-in on the increased risk of the cars being stolen!

Thankfully, I don't think the Volvo T5 is seen as a very stealable car despite it's high top speed and powerful engine, thieves are more likely to nic a Gold R32 or GTi, or something like that. I think this is all due to the T5's size especially the V70 (not good for getting in to tight spaces), and having an excellent safety system it's 'built like a brick sh*t house' meaning it's not that easy to get in to to steal in the first place, not to mention the security systems on it. :B_thumb: