PDA

View Full Version : Bulkhead Water Pipe Connection Blown

Taz91
Sunday 17th February 2013, 18:35
The connector for the 90 degree engine coolant pipe has just blown off the clip holding it in place, sending all of the engine coolant down the road in a pile of steam.
The bracket where the clips attach to the bulkhead looks in a bad way so neither of them look salvageable.

Am I right in saying this is the flow an return for the Heater Matrix? Need to source the plastic cuffs that hold it in place and see what I can do with the bracket on the bulkhead. Definitely the last thing I need right now!

I saw on a build thread, someone has used nice copper elbows for this which looked interesting.

Could anyone shed some light on the matter?
Thanks,

Jim.

merc85
Sunday 17th February 2013, 18:49
By pass them mate, ditch the water housing in the bulk head and plumb some heater hoses from the back of the block on to the metal pipes of the matrix easy peasy, does the job.

Taz91
Sunday 17th February 2013, 18:56
Oh right, thanks mate! I think I get you. So you can pipe through the housing, so its not part of the plumbing anymore? Just using them to hole the pipe in place, or am I way off the mark.

Can I still use the rubber hoses already there, or would it be best to re-do the lot?

T5frankie
Sunday 17th February 2013, 19:00
ooh one of my least favourite jobs to do, the bits are about 30 quid from volvo iirc

merc85
Sunday 17th February 2013, 19:04
ooh one of my least favourite jobs to do, the bits are about 30 quid from volvo iirc

Sod that just run two rubber pipe around 12 -15mm dia from the main water pipe of the back of the block and fit them directly to the metal heater matrix pipes. 30 mins tops and what ever a metre of coolent pipe is cheap as chips. :)

Taz91
Sunday 17th February 2013, 19:13
I'll have a look-see tomorrow, see what the score is. It does look like a §§§§§§ to do, as the housing on the bulkhead is definitely knackered!
If the cheaper option seems strong enough and I can suss it out, I'll go for it! Otherwise, over to Volvo for a direct replacement and some elbow grease in the week! Cheers chaps! Appreciated!

claymore
Sunday 17th February 2013, 19:53
That's how I did mine three years ago, and if it can hold up to the abuse I give it, you should have no problems.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 18th February 2013, 12:46
I bought new ones - which are nice & shiny ....

and also had to buy new yellow clips (in the form of a new bulkhead connector) as I accidentally chucked the old ones away. (Doh!)

Taz91
Monday 18th February 2013, 15:42
I bought new ones - which are nice & shiny ....

and also had to buy new yellow clips (in the form of a new bulkhead connector) as I accidentally chucked the old ones away. (Doh!)

Thanks! So that's the Volvo replacement then. I need new clips too as that's what has given way - badly! - As well as the bulkhead housing which looks like its been galvanised. Looks like a pickle to remove, even more so as mine looks as though its melted to the bulkhead.
Did you use copper plumbing 90 degree elbows or did they come with the kit? They look like street elbows.

Taz91
Monday 18th February 2013, 16:31
Upon further inspection, it's far worse than I initially thought. The yellow clips must have gave way some time ago, and the lower fixing has what appears to be lead solder holding it in place.

I can't see where you'd get to the other side of the bulkhead housing/heater matrix. Inside the car?

As far as I can gather, I can run some tube for both of the pipes from the block end, through the bulkhead, to the matrix. Probably wrong.
If the housing is completely knackered, it doesn't look like it can be easily replaced. Think I'm pretty screwed. Damn bodgers!

Wobbly Dave
Monday 18th February 2013, 16:35
Thanks! So that's the Volvo replacement then. I need new clips too as that's what has given way - badly! - As well as the bulkhead housing which looks like its been galvanised. Looks like a pickle to remove, even more so as mine looks as though its melted to the bulkhead.
Did you use copper plumbing 90 degree elbows or did they come with the kit? They look like street elbows.

Those are new volvo oem hoses.

claymore
Monday 18th February 2013, 16:43
Upon further inspection, it's far worse than I initially thought. The yellow clips must have gave way some time ago, and the lower fixing has what appears to be lead solder holding it in place.

I can't see where you'd get to the other side of the bulkhead housing/heater matrix. Inside the car?

As far as I can gather, I can run some tube for both of the pipes from the block end, through the bulkhead, to the matrix. Probably wrong.
If the housing is completely knackered, it doesn't look like it can be easily replaced. Think I'm pretty screwed. Damn bodgers!
Just pull all the bulkhead gubbins off, and run two pipes to the matrix, just pull the passanger side tunnel carpet down and you'll see it all clearly.

Taz91
Monday 18th February 2013, 16:58
Sounds like a done deal! If the power you run can take it, like you say mine will be fine. Gonna get some aero spec pipe, as my mate works in the industry. Super strong stuff. Give me a shout if anyone needs any!

Taz91
Tuesday 19th February 2013, 17:21
Just pull all the bulkhead gubbins off, and run two pipes to the matrix, just pull the passanger side tunnel carpet down and you'll see it all clearly.

I've managed to remove the pipes on the engine side, chipping away at lead solder lol.
Looking at the 90 degree plastic connector on the inside, I can't see how it will come off. The engine side is the metal plate which looks like it'll free up after you remove the inside part. The clips holding the pipes inside the footwell can't come out unless the bottom join where it meets the matrix comes off. This part is held in with a plastic clamp and you can only get to one of the torx screws, which creates a problem as neither of the pipes have anywhere to go, to get them out.

I'm thinking of cutting the pipes to remove the bulkhead gubbins, the bend some copper tube and join it to flexi water hoses. Seems feasible to me.

claymore
Tuesday 19th February 2013, 17:39
there is one torx screw on the plastic part that goes onto the matrix just undo that, and the pipes will come away.

Taz91
Tuesday 19th February 2013, 18:20
Nice one. Thanks a lot dude! Didn't see that. So that's the heat exchanger, must be a dash-out job to do that, not a lot of space at all under there.
I'll get the pipes off tomorrow and see how easily the bulkhead bit come off, hoping it'll come away in two parts making it easy to route new tube and pipe for the new flow and return.

claymore
Tuesday 19th February 2013, 18:23
heater matrix is easy on the 850, just 5 torks screws and rotate the matrix from the bottom, then pull out the drivers side.

Taz91
Tuesday 19th February 2013, 18:31
Good to know, hopefully a job I won't have to do on this one though!