PDA

View Full Version : 2006 S60 T5 "low fuel pressure"

ICF
Sunday 17th February 2013, 12:00
I'm having a problem with my T5

It starts and ticks over fine and drives ok at low revs but when you floor it, it splutters and holds back then kind of jerks forward with little bursts of power.

I've had the codes read and they state "low fuel pressure"

I've tried:

fuel pressure sensor
new plugs
fuel filter

I think the next course of action is to measure the pressure but i'm struggling to find a guage that will fit.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360518088777?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Will this work? will it read a high enough pressure?

How do I measure the pressure? just connect the guage at idle and measure, then rev and measure?

I can't see how you could do it driving?

What pressure should I be looking for at idle and at a certain amount of revs?

If the pressure is low i'm thinking it either has to be the fuel pressure regulator or pump?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, really frustrated with this.

M-R-P
Sunday 17th February 2013, 12:07
Fpr is known to cause issues with these engines, it's on the end of the fuel rail. There's an equivilent landriver fpr that's half the price of the volvo but the exact same unit.

Hth.

LeeT5
Sunday 17th February 2013, 18:19
Don't waste your money on that ebay item. You can get the fuel pressures from any decent EOBD code reader with live readings OR better still using VIDA. I would put your hard earned doe towards a garage properly diagnosing the fault and fixing it. It's only ever likely to go wrong once with whatever part needs replacing and it will save you all the agro. You've already wasted over £200 on parts that didn't fix it.....how much more you gonna waste? :confused:

ICF
Saturday 23rd February 2013, 13:40
Fpr is known to cause issues with these engines, it's on the end of the fuel rail. There's an equivilent landriver fpr that's half the price of the volvo but the exact same unit.

Hth.

Yep that's the fuel pressure sensor I've already replaced

stribo
Saturday 23rd February 2013, 13:52
You've changed the sensor the fuel pressure regulator is a different part.

ICF
Saturday 23rd February 2013, 14:40
Ok so I've measured fuel pressure.

On initial start up it is just under 3.8 bar which I believe is correct then drops to 3 bar on idle.

On reving it fluctuates slightly but stays at or around 3bar

Does this mean either my pump is weak or the fpr is §§§§§§ed?

Is the fpr in the tank?

ICF
Thursday 7th March 2013, 14:07
Finally fixed the problem!!!!

Just thought I better update the thread.

It was the fuel pick up on the pumps that was gummed up with brown sludge. I cleaned off the filter and the swirl pot, put it back together and now its perfect, pulls hard through all the gears.

Only wasted £120 on parts when it was a free fix!! We live and we learn.