PDA

View Full Version : 850R v 850 T5R

T5TIM
Monday 10th October 2005, 17:47
REALLY sorry if Ive missed this before.... but whats the diference?

I fancy the yellow estate in classifieds. :B_steerin

elliot
Monday 10th October 2005, 18:40
Suspension setting T-5R slighty stiffer people moaned so they made it softer,throttle body slightly different on the R volvo removed the nylon block on the plate on the R,different ecu 4.4 in the R 4.3 in the T-5R,different turbo on the manual R,different seats T-5R has alacantra on the sholders R has it on the middle seats,wheels R has volans 7 spoke T-5R has titan 5 spoke,thats about it.

T5TIM
Monday 10th October 2005, 18:50
Thanks Elliot

are they both 240 bhp? The yellow one is an auto (which I actually fancy)

:)

Redbrick
Monday 10th October 2005, 19:16
LSD on the manual 850R and 250bhp.

Yellow only available on the T-5R... lucky sods...

splatt
Monday 10th October 2005, 20:17
Dont forget...the R is common (LOL) The T5R is limeted edition

Do a search on it...theres loads of threads on it.

The diff is different, the turbo is different but theres not a lot in it.

For me...T5R..

T5TIM
Monday 10th October 2005, 20:45
Any observations on the yellow one in classifieds?

I think I fancy an auto after 4 manual T5's.

what do you reckon oh great Volvo guru's? :worship:

Andrew
Monday 10th October 2005, 21:14
Any observations on the yellow one in classifieds?

I think I fancy an auto after 4 manual T5's.

what do you reckon oh great Volvo guru's? :worship:

Auto boxes are weaker - but nice to drive if your not going to push them too much.

T-5R is limited edition, Yellow (also known as a GUL) is the sought after one, all the promotional brochures etc used that one on the covers and they where originally in yellow and black. Then again in Olive Green in a second run.

Should be about 200 GULS in the UK - many will have left us for the great Volvo garage in the sky so getting rarerer. Standard BHP on T-5Rs is 240bhp 850Rs are 250bhp.

Feel free to PM me if you want to know more.

Andrew.

HuskMan
Monday 10th October 2005, 21:19
I always like to go for the LSD myself. :nut: ;)

Makes the R far more intersting than a dull limited edition T5R (yet such common owners) ;)

R owners are - as we know and have discussed many times - far more acceptable than your lowly common T5 bods :ready2go:

And amongst the superior owners there are the lessers (dark wood, dark leather) and the superior superiors - Ikea-tastic birch finish.

Whatever LSD inspired nonsense I come out with, the R missile is a beaut. But always best as an R and in red - no diggity no doubt. :bud:

Andrew
Monday 10th October 2005, 21:26
Makes the R far more intersting than a dull limited edition T5R (yet such common owners) ;)

I was thinking about this and when you do thinkg about it then it actually makes sense. You would expect those who are interested in and care about Volvos (i.e. the people on here) to have the best of it's time (i.e. the T-5Rs). So it makes sense there's lots of owners on here.

It's exactly the same reason why we are starting to see lots of nice Saffron V70Rs :p

T5TIM
Monday 10th October 2005, 21:34
Auto boxes are weaker - but nice to drive if your not going to push them too much.

Andrew.

Ah.....

Im going to push it... pretty hard!

I want one to use on trackdays to show people the lines etc.

Volvo breaker in wigan told me they were as good as the manual for reliability
:frown:

Is he talking :pants:

Andrew
Monday 10th October 2005, 21:50
On a standard ECU or a RICA 280 I think they'd be fine.
On anything pushing 300+ bhp (if you get it chipped) I'd be a bit worried.

All that said I'm selling mine - gearbox has just been rebuilt and it's tight as new so who knows.

Andrew.

splatt
Monday 10th October 2005, 22:13
I always like to go for the LSD myself. :nut: ;)only cos you have no control eh.....
:B_rotfl:

dan_burdock
Friday 14th October 2005, 12:23
Why are the T5Rs known as the Gul. Obviously the colour, is there a rare bird in sweden?

splatt
Friday 14th October 2005, 12:46
Why are the T5Rs known as the Gul. Obviously the colour, is there a rare bird in sweden?sweedespeak for yellow

HuskMan
Friday 14th October 2005, 18:52
only cos you have no control eh.....
:B_rotfl:

No control?!

Ask my wife! I am fast away and across the finishing line before she even gets going!

You need LSD if you're that quick to get going and finish. trust me, I'm a thirties man. :troutslap

gazjacko
Friday 14th October 2005, 19:33
Auto box is great switch to 'sport' the press & go!.
I've used the lockout when steaming around town ( legally of course!) the only downside with the auto box is the brakes will go off a lot quicker as you've no engine braking.
PS - thought T5Rs were 225bhp 850Rs 240BHP (auto) 250BHP (Manual) both only on overboost (30secs)

splatt
Friday 14th October 2005, 21:53
No control?!

Ask my wife! I am fast away and across the finishing line before she even gets going!

ok, I will....
:B_blite:

Andrew
Friday 14th October 2005, 22:27
Auto box is great switch to 'sport' the press & go!.
I've used the lockout when steaming around town ( legally of course!) the only downside with the auto box is the brakes will go off a lot quicker as you've no engine braking.
PS - thought T5Rs were 225bhp 850Rs 240BHP (auto) 250BHP (Manual) both only on overboost (30secs)

T5 is 225bhp T-5Rs are 240bhp 850R 250bhp on overboost as you mention.

weasel
Friday 14th October 2005, 22:58
850r - less common: 176 sold in comparison with 200, better: having a proper setup rather than a sticking plaster answer to a marketing idea, much nicer wheels, in a nice red colour that perhaps looks a little pinkish after a while but at least not available in that disgusting, putrid yellow and 250bhp in manual form without 30 second overboost:nutkick:

siamblue
Saturday 15th October 2005, 15:44
850r - less common: 176 sold in comparison with 200, better: having a proper setup rather than a sticking plaster answer to a marketing idea, much nicer wheels, in a nice red colour that perhaps looks a little pinkish after a while but at least not available in that disgusting, putrid yellow and 250bhp in manual form without 30 second overboost:nutkick:

Oh dear i am off to hide.

The Flying Banana
Sunday 16th October 2005, 00:46

Mmmmm...nice comments..you obviously dont have a yellow one..never mind..maybe one day!!!!

Yeah..175 sold you say...and 200 yellow ones...but only 100 of those yellow ones were estates..and apparently only 16 were in manual form....so I'll stick with my rare putrid yellow one

Andrew
Sunday 16th October 2005, 08:16
Yellow yes... putride no

(Quatro Nigels) :

http://www.cardwell.co.uk/old/cars/volvo/others-cars/Quattro-Nigel/

Redbrick
Sunday 16th October 2005, 09:03
Check out the new boy stirring things up! lol

Just for the record, Titans own Volans and yellow is 100 times better than lobster pink. A yellow T-5R is such an iconic vehicle.

Yes I own a red one but at the time of buying it my main concern was mileage and getting a manual box.

The 250bhp is an over boost as far as I'm aware. All a bit irrelevant if you’re re-mapped.

weasel
Monday 17th October 2005, 00:46
'Mmmmm...nice comments..you obviously dont have a yellow one..never mind..maybe one day!!!!'

hmmm..... unlikely! apparently, the choice one makes of car colour makes a rather telling statement about it's owner.... now what do you think a lemon curd coloured car says about it's owner? i like custard/bananas/daffodils/pus perhaps? but i have thought of one good reason to have one and i'll post a pic when i can!

'Just for the record, Titans own Volans and yellow is 100 times better than
lobster pink. A yellow T-5R is such an iconic vehicle.'

is that iconic in the diana dors sense? haven't seen many comments about 'mega rare titans';-)

'All a bit irrelevant if you’re re-mapped.'

fair enough. am i right in thinking the engine designation for the t5r is b5234t5? the b52134t4 motor is definitely specced as 250bhp without 30 seconds overpressure - unless the owner's manual is telling lies?

incidentally, i test drove a yellow t5r auto saloon from a main dealers with a view to buying. it was a bit of a woofer, with a horrible rumbling sound from the bottom end and black painted repaired, titans. i walked away but far from putting me off it made me want to go get a proper r - they didn't tell me but i later found out that one of the monkeys had crashed it on a test drive and they wonder why folk are suspicious!

'Check out the new boy stirring things up!'
sorry can't resist this! :-))

d14vd_h
Monday 17th October 2005, 00:56
8 posts and wide as!??! but fair play for getting in amongst it,
i think anyone who is into volvo's has to show the yellow t5-r respect.
it brought the brand a fresh lease of life and showed the world what a select few knew, that they were understated rapid stylish machines. look at the 80's ettc performance of the 240. the 850 btcc continued this and the yellow one brought it to the roads, the yellow just further shoving it in peoples faces.
if it werent for the t5r volvo may not have the following, respect, credibility it does now.
I was in flying banana's car today, few cars have i seen get so much admiration from enthusiasts and general public alike, after a run in it i got out and though that was immense in awe of the performance, then i turned round and thought wait a min that was a volvo estate!
plus anything from volvo that jeremey clarkston cant find anyhting to criticise must be doin well. its in his 100 cars that make you go phwaaaoor.

The Flying Banana
Monday 17th October 2005, 00:56
'Mmmmm...nice comments..you obviously dont have a yellow one..never mind..maybe one day!!!!'

Like I say, you dont obviously have one, you have thought about it cos you have test drove one...keep dreaming!!

hmmm..... unlikely! apparently, the choice one makes of car colour makes a rather telling statement about it's owner.... now what do you think a lemon curd coloured car says about it's owner? i like custard/bananas/daffodils/pus perhaps? but i have thought of one good reason to have one and i'll post a pic when i can!

..suppose the same could be said of the forum ID that one picks too...you have picked well!!!

PS ..i aint the type of guy you would look at and think i was into yellow but i am and have no qualms about my masculinity...you may be struggling with yours and i am sure their are other forums that can help with this insecurity!!!

'Check out the new boy stirring things up!'
sorry can't resist this! :-))

YEAH ...ME NEITHER!!!

siamblue
Monday 17th October 2005, 01:16
There was 2 yellow T5R's today at SW Auto's very nice cars,

weasel
Monday 17th October 2005, 01:50
d14vd_h - good points all.

the flying banana:

'Like I say, you dont obviously have one, you have thought about it cos you have test drove one...keep dreaming!!'
i did think about it until i had a good look at it. no need to keep dreaming, i just moved on.

'..suppose the same could be said of the forum ID that one picks too...you have picked well!!!'
thankyou:-)

'PS ..i aint the type of guy you would look at and think i was into yellow but i am and have no qualms about my masculinity...'
are you sure you wouldn't prefer to edit this out in the light of your previous statement. no? ok...... wow! i didn't mention masculinity at all! roflmao

'you may be struggling with yours and i am sure their are other forums that can help with this insecurity!!!'
not at all and seeing that you're such a friendly guy, i think there's a friending thing on this board - you can consider yourself my buddy..... even if you do drive a car that reminds me of custard!

'YEAH ...ME NEITHER!!!'
no need to shout. i'm just messing. we both drive elderly volvo estates with a quite a bit of oomph. now how about a group hug.... :remybussi

of course my more substantial point that the 850r is a more sorted car wasn't addressed.... :nutkick:

The Flying Banana
Monday 17th October 2005, 10:56
Hey weasel.... i would hope you are only messing and take all this in your stride...tis a friendly bunch and all have their opinions..place would be dull without them...like a bit o banter now and then!!!

Anyway no doubt you will make it to a meet soon and we can sort our masculinity out then!!! LOL

Anyway ye ken have a good day and keep stirring!!!

FB

PS wasnt shouting ...too late last night to notice and too tired to go back and edit!!!

d14vd_h
Monday 17th October 2005, 11:51
Good shout weasel,
think you'l fit in fine mate, the banter flows in here and most debates are amicable!
heres one for everyone - I think 940's rip T5's hahahah i'll take the heat man!
hope to see u involved in more threads soon mate and as banana says present at a meet.
Later.
the D.

T5TIM
Tuesday 18th October 2005, 18:27
Right going to look at a T5R saloon tomorrow :)

Yes its yellow

Yes its manual

I'll report back.

:B_steerin

Justin
Tuesday 18th October 2005, 18:39
Good thread guys....Weasel, your gonna fit right in here ;)

dicky b t5
Tuesday 18th October 2005, 21:02
Flying B & Weasel , Top class boys proper bit of Banter.....!! lol :insane:

T5TIM
Wednesday 19th October 2005, 19:13
Right going to look at a T5R saloon tomorrow :)

Yes its yellow

Yes its manual

I'll report back.

:B_steerin

Ok been to see/drive it and YES people do look at Yellow cars!! Drove ok, felt like 240 bhp but had a slight vibration through transmission, felt like contaminated clutch, Panels all fine, 1 wheel kerbed, nice all round.

Its been regularly serviced, but not cherished.

Im thinking about it.......... Mmmm yellow...
:insane:

weasel
Thursday 20th October 2005, 21:01
i can't imagine why on earth you or anyone for that matter would want to buy a saloon? :jaw:
estates are far superior..... having real load carrying ability and the performance/handling differences are negligible on the road :-D

siamblue
Thursday 20th October 2005, 22:34
i can't imagine why on earth you or anyone for that matter would want to buy a saloon? :jaw:
estates are far superior..... having real load carrying ability and the performance/handling differences are negligible on the road :-D

Estates are for dog lovers, and you don't need a load cover in a Saloon car :haha:

Mrsmopp
Friday 21st October 2005, 12:46

You obviously feel you need an estate as an extension of your manhood - You have my sympathy!!!

x

arbee
Friday 21st October 2005, 14:02
lol@at this thread :) expresses by views perfectly. from both sides. OK maaaaayyyybe the 850r is technically 'better', and few would argue that, say a p2 v70r is a 'better' car but. something that covers ground quicker, more comfortabley, and with less things breaking aint neccessarily 'better' in my eyes. The yellow T5-R (moreso the estate) is a car that I think that I could 'bond' with, its iconic, its lairy, its got presence, and its the sort of car you look back at when you've just parked up in a car park.

Damn... I've just sold myself one!

weasel
Saturday 22nd October 2005, 01:24
siamblue wrote:
'you don't need a load cover in a Saloon car'
:-)) don't need one in an estate when you've got a wardrobe in the back either.... besides they only break anyway :frown:

mrsmopp - rather cocquettishly wrote:
'You obviously feel you need an estate for your extension beyond the average manhood'
mrsmopp my dear, i'm not entirely sure it's appropriate for a married lady to be concerning herself with my manhood... however, as we live in the age of the chipperfields, not really. but we all have our crosses to bear.... ho hum.

and 'You have my sympathy!!!'
thankyou! is that a little bit like a shoulder to cry on? :hug: :sinner:

i think you're a dangerous lady mrsmopp... pah.. you don't scare me, i've read the taming of the shrew!

last but not least arbee wrote:
'something that covers ground quicker, more comfortabley, and with less things breaking aint neccessarily 'better' in my eyes.'
ummm okaaay.... perhaps you need a car like the flying banana's then, one that attracts the attention http://tinyurl.com/c2ups :funkybana

in all seriousness, some wiser folk may disagree but i reckon there's not going to be much real difference on the roads between a t5r and an 850r.

Mrsmopp
Saturday 22nd October 2005, 12:55
mrsmopp - rather cocquettishly wrote:
'You obviously feel you need an estate for your extension beyond the average manhood'
mrsmopp my dear, i'm not entirely sure it's appropriate for a married lady to be concerning herself with my manhood... however, as we live in the age of the chipperfields, not really. but we all have our crosses to bear.... ho hum.

and 'You have my sympathy!!!'
thankyou! is that a little bit like a shoulder to cry on? :hug: :sinner:

i think you're a dangerous lady mrsmopp... pah.. you don't scare me, i've read the taming of the shrew!

Firstly I am not married and secondly I am not "concerned" with your manhood although from your most recent posts it would appear that you are indeed "concerned" with it. When I said sympathy I think I meant "pity" but was being rather polite since I am such a nice person!! LOL

As for the dangerous bit - well you can make your own mind up about that but I prefer the word friendly to dangerous! :haha:

x

arbee
Saturday 22nd October 2005, 23:02
siamblue wrote:

last but not least arbee wrote:
'something that covers ground quicker, more comfortabley, and with less things breaking aint neccessarily 'better' in my eyes.'
ummm okaaay.... perhaps you need a car like the flying banana's then, one that attracts the attention http://tinyurl.com/c2ups :funkybana

yep, maybe with a couple more doors and a slightly lighter shade :)

The Flying Banana
Saturday 22nd October 2005, 23:06
Firstly I am not married and secondly I am not "concerned" with your manhood although from your most recent posts it would appear that you are indeed "concerned" with it. When I said sympathy I think I meant "pity" but was being rather polite since I am such a nice person!! LOL

As for the dangerous bit - well you can make your own mind up about that but I prefer the word friendly to dangerous! :haha:

x

Weasel...how do you come back from this!!LOL If Mrs Mopp was concerned with your manhood then you should be honoured!!!! But shes not so back to Austin Eggroll hunting for you!!!!

Friendly and dangerous i think is a better combo!!!

weasel
Sunday 23rd October 2005, 20:51
siamblue wrote:
'Estates are for dog lovers, and you don't need a load cover in a Saloon car :haha:'
do they now make a special saloon version of the v70r? golden retriever sir? :-))

siamblue
Sunday 23rd October 2005, 21:38
siamblue wrote:
'Estates are for dog lovers, and you don't need a load cover in a Saloon car :haha:'
do they now make a special saloon version of the v70r? golden retriever sir? :-))

Only the S60r ;)

weasel
Monday 24th October 2005, 01:02
hee hee.... but you don't want one of those do you?

'my next car will probably be a V70R with 7 seat conversion' ;-)

and just in case mrsmopp thinks she got away with it.....
i was going to give you a lesson on the basics of human nature but i've benevolently decided to spare your blushes dear moppet.... for now!:-))

Andrew
Monday 24th October 2005, 09:18

i was going to give you a lesson on the basics of human nature but i've benevolently decided to spare your blushes dear moppet.... for now!:-))

Sounds ominous.....

:jaw:

The Flying Banana
Monday 24th October 2005, 09:36

Ding ding , round 1 goes to.........

Mrsmopp
Monday 24th October 2005, 12:27

A lesson in the basics of human nature? That would give the impression that you actually knew about that stuff wouldn't it? However, your posts give me the exact opposite impression so I think therefore you are merely saving yourself any further blushing. :remybussi

x

Goof
Monday 24th October 2005, 12:37
This is getting a bit like "Auto or Manual gearbox - which is better?" type of thread.
I vote the moderators lock it and leave the in-fighting to PMs or email, or better still away from keyboards completely.
:thread:

dave
Monday 24th October 2005, 13:28
Ok mr.dull! lol

there's nothing wrong with this thread, very good fun to read, which makes the place more interesting, cos most of the time the threads are on the dull side

dave

siamblue
Monday 24th October 2005, 13:28
This is getting a bit like "Auto or Manual gearbox - which is better?" type of thread.
I vote the moderators lock it and leave the in-fighting to PMs or email, or better still away from keyboards completely.
:thread:

Goof It's only a bit of banter, we all know the manual saloon is far far better than a auto estate, the only thing slower than a auto estate is a d5 version,
right i am off to hide.

Goof
Monday 24th October 2005, 14:02
LOL - brave man siamblue! ;)

Wobbly Dave
Monday 24th October 2005, 14:21
So long as you lot keep it clean - LOL

weasel
Tuesday 25th October 2005, 02:07
goof wrote:
'This is getting a bit like "Auto or Manual gearbox - which is better?" type of thread. I vote the moderators lock it and leave the in-fighting to PMs or email, or better still away from keyboards completely.'
not really surpising given that the title of the thread is t5r v's 850r and, guess what, there's saloons and estates in different colours too!:-D

as anticipated, like a moth to a candle little'ms'moppet completely unable to quell her innate feminine curiosty wrote:
'A lesson in the basics of human nature? That would give the impression that you actually knew about that stuff wouldn't it? However, your posts give me the exact opposite impression so I think therefore you are merely saving yourself any further blushing.

x'

i'm sorry moppet that just won't cut the cake.... you have to ask nicely when you want me to teach you the ways of the world. i notice you have a male appendage..... dangerous lady, like i said;-))

t5owner
Tuesday 25th October 2005, 07:41
Looks like i`ve been missing all the fun on this one

Just get a yellow one and then see

weasel
Tuesday 25th October 2005, 23:59
weasel wrote:
'i like custard/bananas/daffodils/pus perhaps? but i have thought of one good reason to have one and i'll post a pic when i can!'

http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/vbgarage.php?do=getimage&id=527
http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/vbgarage.php?do=getimage&id=526

is this a red car thing?