PDA

View Full Version : S40 T5 Tyres

ncarnall
Thursday 14th February 2013, 17:30
Hi all,
Its been awhile since I've been on here and not used the volvo a great deal over the last year due to complications after spinal surgery and a broken clavicle, back now pretty good just need the shoulder to improve and I'll be good to go. Anyway enough of the sympathy seeking!

I need to get some new tyres on the 2005 S40 T5, currently running odd brands at each corner and size 205/50 17 93W. Can I fit 225/45 17's on the standard rims? and what brands are recommended that don't transmit to much road noise?

Thanks in advance.
Neil

iancho
Friday 15th February 2013, 06:56
Hi Neil, I'm pleased to read you are back on the road to recovery it cannot have been easy for you these past few months. I cannot help you with your question but i still look out for you eveytime i'm in Witney!

Level 5 mate, one day! :wave23d:

lance
Friday 15th February 2013, 08:01
I think you can from what a tyre fitter at formula 1 told me, I have the same size tyres as you at the moment and have found a brand of hard wearing not bad ones accelerator which I managed to get fitted at £45 per corner from a mate. There good tyres as budgets go and I got two track days and lots of road use out the fronts and haven't changed the rears either and I'm running 300 bhp and 470
Nm there not the most amazing tyres ever but a good allrounder

jotter22
Friday 15th February 2013, 09:14
Why do you want to change from standard sizes? and lowering the profile will make them a bit more harsh on your back maybe you can get the fitter to put one on a rim so you can have a look to see if it balloons too much.
Will protect your rims though!

Tony.

ncarnall
Friday 15th February 2013, 17:35
Hi Neil, I'm pleased to read you are back on the road to recovery it cannot have been easy for you these past few months. I cannot help you with your question but i still look out for you eveytime i'm in Witney!

Level 5 mate, one day! :wave23d:
Hello mate, I was on level 5 at about 1pm today! Better wash the car if youre looking out for me then. See you one day.

ncarnall
Friday 15th February 2013, 17:36
Why do you want to change from standard sizes? and lowering the profile will make them a bit more harsh on your back maybe you can get the fitter to put one on a rim so you can have a look to see if it balloons too much.
Will protect your rims though!

Tony.
To be honest the size increase would save about 20 quid a corner but i hadn't thought about them being harsher so a good point made. cheers

scoobysn7x
Wednesday 20th February 2013, 14:08
I use non standard tyres on my S40 T5 I had some aftermarket alloys fitted which came with 205/45 R17, I paid slighty more as I wanted a bit more tread so I upgraded/changed to 215/45 R17 with no issues at all, they're now on standard alloys as I decided to change the aftermarket wheels, they were one up from the budget brand (can't remember the name off the top of my head) they are decent tyres good in the dry and ok in the wet, which is fine for me as I don't really push the car when its wet..