PDA

View Full Version : Jittery hesitant throttle

Leeds_finest
Thursday 14th February 2013, 14:54
Have a feeling my module may be on its way out.

Sounds daft but I'm going to fill it full of fuel and run it through as I've run it low recently and may have drawn crap out of tank.

If its the module what's the replacement procedure? Where do I source one?

Thanks

silverhorse
Thursday 14th February 2013, 16:41

Excuse my ignorance............ Module??

JamesT5
Thursday 14th February 2013, 17:51
Excuse my ignorance............ Module??

Throttle Module I think Leeds is referring to.

JamesT5
Thursday 14th February 2013, 17:52

Sounds daft but I'm going to fill it full of fuel and run it through as I've run it low recently and may have drawn crap out of tank.

If its the module what's the replacement procedure? Where do I source one?

Thanks

Have you read your codes? My throttle did this when I had faulty coil packs....

Leeds_finest
Friday 15th February 2013, 10:47
I haven't had an EML come up, but ill run the diagnostics on it just in case.

Maybe it's coil packs then - although in my experience they either work or they don't - I've never experienced intermittent faults with coil packs - did you?

Cheers

JamesT5
Friday 15th February 2013, 21:35
I haven't had an EML come up, but ill run the diagnostics on it just in case.

Maybe it's coil packs then - although in my experience they either work or they don't - I've never experienced intermittent faults with coil packs - did you?

Cheers

Yes, mine were intermittent to start with then one just waved the white flag and gave up completely whilst a second one was playing up intermittently but then it got worse. Anyway, Wobbly Dave sold me some second hand coils and the problem was solved straight away (thanks again to Dave for that!).

When you read your codes, if you get a cylinder misfire then it's probably coils. Swap the coils around, clear the codes then start it up again and take it for a spin and the coil pack at fault will follow the cylinders around depending on which one you have it on.

I did do a thread on this somewhere so if you do a search it should show up. Let us know how you get on.....

Regards

James

M-R-P
Friday 15th February 2013, 23:26
If it's the etm (witch I'm 99% sure it is) then get a bosch one from a scrappy, plug it in and leave the ignition on for an hour. It should sort itself out. (so I've been told).

Leeds_finest
Sunday 17th February 2013, 13:39
Yes, mine were intermittent to start with then one just waved the white flag and gave up completely whilst a second one was playing up intermittently but then it got worse. Anyway, Wobbly Dave sold me some second hand coils and the problem was solved straight away (thanks again to Dave for that!).

When you read your codes, if you get a cylinder misfire then it's probably coils. Swap the coils around, clear the codes then start it up again and take it for a spin and the coil pack at fault will follow the cylinders around depending on which one you have it on.

I did do a thread on this somewhere so if you do a search it should show up. Let us know how you get on.....

Regards

James

Had to do this procedure last time when I had a misfire I.e. swapping coil packs round.

Will try it again when my mate with the code reader pulls himself out of his girlfriends §§§§.

Cheers

If it's the etm (witch I'm 99% sure it is) then get a bosch one from a scrappy, plug it in and leave the ignition on for an hour. It should sort itself out. (so I've been told).

I can't imagine there's an abundance of V70 throttle bodies floating around :( are they all the same or do I need a T5 one?

M-R-P
Sunday 17th February 2013, 13:47
All the same afaik. There's some ME7 cars due in the scrappy soon, I'll see what I can find.

Leeds_finest
Sunday 17th February 2013, 15:43
That would be good thanks. eBay is saying 50-80 quid approx.

James, did you experience management light flash up when your car misfired? When a coil pack went on mine before I had the management light but when I am experiencing this judder I have no warning lights.

Leeds_finest
Sunday 17th February 2013, 16:37
I have just had the EML come on as I was driving home.

Does a knackered ETM throw up a light? If not hopefully its coil packs.

M-R-P
Sunday 17th February 2013, 16:41
Woyld imagine it comes on for both.

Leeds_finest
Sunday 17th February 2013, 22:31
P1133 - front lambda sensor?

Leeds_finest
Sunday 17th February 2013, 22:40
Fuel Control Shifted Lean?

If you reference that fault code to Volvo it doesn't actually bring an explanation back - but if you reference it to Ford, that's what the explanation is ^^^

Leeds_finest
Sunday 17th February 2013, 23:47
Cleared the code, car idled a little uneven for a short period, now seems to drive fine and pull hard in every gear - baffled!

M-R-P
Monday 18th February 2013, 00:02
Have a look at this (http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=38712) mate, it might help :D

Leeds_finest
Monday 18th February 2013, 00:08
Thanks, I searched p1133 on google but didn't find much.

So maybe the pre cat lambda is duff?

M-R-P
Monday 18th February 2013, 00:16
worth a go mate.

Not having much luck with this thing are you lol.

Leeds_finest
Monday 18th February 2013, 07:37
Trouble literally hunts me down (where cars are concerned)..

Leeds_finest
Monday 18th February 2013, 10:05
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?19420-Throttle-pedal-sensor-V70-P2&highlight=P1133

Just found this...

graemewelch
Monday 18th February 2013, 10:17
my rear sensor failed a while ago. once replaced car was smoother and drank more juice. must of been running lean. yours must be on its way out.

Leeds_finest
Monday 18th February 2013, 10:19
Did you get hesitant throttle and flat spots?

graemewelch
Monday 18th February 2013, 11:10
yes. mine was the rear sensor though. i replaced it with a used one from ebay. £12 intotal it cost me. different car when fitted.

Leeds_finest
Monday 18th February 2013, 11:23
Well after I cleared the code the car seemed to fly, much better than before.

Ill see how it gets on since I've cleared code.

Leeds_finest
Monday 18th February 2013, 11:30
For the first time since owning the car I ran it a little low on fuel.

I wondered if I had blocked the filter with crap from the tank and caused the car to run a little lean?

graemewelch
Monday 18th February 2013, 12:20
wishful thinking i think. you might be lucky and clearing the code is enough. its something you want to get to the bottom of befor fitting decat though.

Leeds_finest
Monday 18th February 2013, 13:13
Well that was my thought exactly - maybe drop a new sensor on there when fitting the decat??

Excuse my ignorance but I'm guessing sensor one is pre cat and sensor two is post cat?

graemewelch
Monday 18th February 2013, 15:40
post cat is when after the cat, its toward the rear. the pre cat is on the bend closest to turbo. if was you id try to sort it befor fitting decat as you might get a fault code whrn you fit the decat. might make fault finding a little trickier. just a thought

Leeds_finest
Monday 18th February 2013, 15:53
Yes but what i meant was: my code says bank 1 lambda 1... well is lambda 1 before or after the cat?

danny-R
Monday 18th February 2013, 16:01
Is it fault code p2231? if so that's the same as mine I assume it's pre-cat

graemewelch
Monday 18th February 2013, 17:36
i cant remember now. think bank two is post cat. but not 100% sure. google the fault code. should be more info out there somewear

Leeds_finest
Monday 18th February 2013, 20:11
No Danny it's P1133.

Well when they refer to 'bank' it's usually for cars with V configuration cylinders. So being as its an inline five I would guess it would only ever throw back bank 1 and either sensor 1 or 2 on bank 1.

silverhorse
Tuesday 19th February 2013, 07:58
Morning Mr Finest from Leeds.
Hopefully your car is running nicely now, but I suspect that whatever fault you had has not just miraculously cured itself (unless you are very lucky!!!). If the light comes on again, to save all the head scratching and speculation I would be getting the car plugged into ViDA. This way you will know EXACTLY what the problem is and ViDA gives you a list of symptoms and solutions and part numbers and the tech guy will be able to quote you a price there and then etc, etc, etc.
A generic code reader sometimes creates more questions than it answers.

Leeds_finest
Tuesday 19th February 2013, 10:02
Morning,

Thanks for the advice.

I had vida/dice and I sold it when I sold my last Volvo - I wish I had kept it now.

However, surely a fault code is just a fault code no matter which device is reading it?

Cheers

silverhorse
Tuesday 19th February 2013, 13:52
I had vida/dice and I sold it when I sold my last Volvo - I wish I had kept it now.

:slap:

However, surely a fault code is just a fault code no matter which device is reading it?

To a certain extent, yes. But all manufacturers have a lot of their own specific codes which a generic reader can't see. As you will know, ViDA is a mega bit of kit and can really delve into all modules. I love mine. It has saved me loads of money!

Leeds_finest
Wednesday 20th February 2013, 07:28
You make a fair point and yes I'm sure the generic code reader couldn't explain the fault code, it said refer to manufacturer but when googled showed a lambda fault I think.... May have to get a copy of VIDA again then!

Leeds_finest
Tuesday 26th February 2013, 07:05
Cars seems to be doing this still, mainly when engines cold.

No management lights on at the moment, haven't run code reader on it since last time...

Are we still thinking throttle module? Has anyone experienced a dead throttle module before?

Leeds_finest
Tuesday 26th February 2013, 20:45
???

graemewelch
Tuesday 26th February 2013, 22:57
read the codes. then go get your self a lambda sensor. im fitting the decat to mine soon so ill let you no how i get on with fault codes and getting around them

Leeds_finest
Tuesday 26th February 2013, 23:22
I've got no codes now but still getting hesitant throttle mate

graemewelch
Tuesday 26th February 2013, 23:39
from my experience id clean etm. possibly look into a new sensor.. you could try mine if you were closer.

Leeds_finest
Wednesday 27th February 2013, 07:18
So fetch the throttle body off and give it a once over?

Is that an inlet off job?

Cheers

graemewelch
Wednesday 27th February 2013, 12:51
im not sure on your engine but it was on mine.